The Gap Reviews

3.5
1,597 Reviews

The Gap Chairman and CEO Glenn K. Murphy
Glenn K. Murphy

Pros
  • Gap has an extensive training program and meets everyone's work-life balance well (in 82 reviews)

• Good pay compared to other retail companies, along with good employee discount (in 163 reviews)

Cons
  • If you are looking for work/life balance then this could be the worst place to work (in 39 reviews)

• Constant pressure to aggravate guests with credit cards (in 87 reviews)

More Highlights

Internship was very unstructured and mentorship was nonexistent.

Current Employee - IT Intern  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - IT Intern in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at The Gap as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Very relaxed atmosphere. Nice employees.

Cons

No clear path for promotion within the company.

Comfortable work environment; little bit too much emphasis on Gapcard signup totals.

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Santa Cruz, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Santa Cruz, CA

I have been working at The Gap part-time for more than a year

Pros

As a part time job, this was great for earning a little extra spending money during college. Shifts were fairly easy to reschedule, co-workers were all friendly, and the music is alright unless you get stuck on kids side. The manager at my location was also very accommodating and friendly.

Cons

Your worth as an employee was linked a little too closely to how many people you got to sign up for a Gapcard, Gap's rewards credit card. Also, though I never tried to move up in the company, I knew people who were waiting 4 or 5 years for promotions they actively applied for.

Allow more upward mobility, greater emphasis on customer satisfaction than Gapcard numbers.

Overpromised and Under Delivered

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at The Gap

Pros

Younger employee vibe, great location, fantastic learning experience and decent training provided.

Salary is ok, but not worth the constant stress and heavy workload. Annual raise is only 2-3% which is under the industry standard.

Cons

Rowe is said to exist, but management doesn't really allow that to take place with the constant meetings and deadlines, quick turnaround in workload expectations and system availability.

Poor work/life balance... It was one of the perks I was informed was great and turned out false. Working into the evenings and weekends are pretty normal.

Seen quite a bit of employee turnover with people getting frustrated and burnt out. It seems like employees are managed like a statistic instead of a person.

Computer systems are archaic and there are so many ad hoc quick fix tools. I couldn't believe how inefficient the systems were for such a big and prestigious company.

Focus on developing and training your employees as people instead of as statistics. Show some appreciation for the long hours and stress you put on your staff.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Working here can be a good start but could let you down.

I worked at The Gap

Pros

Work here was fairly casual with everyone being friendly towards each other. There was a cordial exchange of employees and information between the child and adult stores and overall I didn't have a bad experience working here and my pay rate rose quickly.

Cons

The hours and location could be very trying. In such a small environment the employees had a tendency toward bickering and forming cliques. The company had issues balancing my work schedule with my university schedule and were not willing to compromise.

See below

I worked at The Gap

Pros

To work as a part time sales would be doable for socialization and discount.

Cons

Management positions are grossly underpaid

Pay more attention to what is going on in the stores, less to corporate

Good experience, kind coworkers

I have been working at The Gap part-time for more than a year

Pros

Management is professional and kind, and encouraging. Coworkers are so kind and team effort really makes every shift enjoyable.

Cons

Some favoritism can be an issue, and sometimes if working alone in a department it can get difficult to multitask. At my store they typically have 4-hour shifts, and if you are not favored among upper management, it can be very rare that you get more than 14 hours a week. My biggest problem with the company as a whole is their failure to deliver on what they so proudly advertised as a pay raise for every employee. I still make under $9 per hour after the pay raise was supposed to go into effect in June.

Be cognizant of everyone working, regardless of whether it is in a small part of the store or in the midst of a rush at the cash wrap. Pressure to get gap cards can be a little oppressive, be careful of how you are encouraging your employees.

Good enough starting place

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Beachwood, OH
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Beachwood, OH

I worked at The Gap part-time for more than a year

Pros

The company provided a generous clothing discount, was pretty flexible with hours, and was a pretty nice place to work. The pay was about the same as at other, different stores, and the paychecks were never late. They also offered pretty consistent hours...not a ton, but at least consistent. There was a variety of things to do which mad the day go faster.

Cons

A majority of the day seemed to be folding, folding, folding, but that's part of the job. There seemed to be inconsistency between managers and a different work ethic; some worked hard and did their job, and others had you do the work for them. There wasn't anything especially awful though.

Supply Chain Analyst

I worked at The Gap

Pros

Good benefits. Vacation is nice but you have to jump thru hoops to take it.

Cons

No work life balance period.

Great Part-time Retail

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at The Gap part-time for less than a year

Pros

Discount
    Fashion
    Friendly Customers
    Management has open door policy

Cons

Pay
    Credit Card Sales
    Changing Rooms
    Employee communication

Get employees involved/ more team meetings to encourage

Ideal retail experience

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I worked at The Gap part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Employee discount, promotions, teaches some level of work discipline

Cons

Long hours, unorganized managers, worked pass scheduled shift

Worked for The Gap? Contribute to the Community!