The Gap Reviews

3.5
1,648 Reviews

The Gap Chairman and CEO Glenn K. Murphy
Glenn K. Murphy

Pros
  • Gap has an extensive training program and meets everyone's work-life balance well (in 88 reviews)

• Good pay compared to other retail companies, along with good employee discount (in 175 reviews)

Cons
  • If you are looking for work/life balance then this could be the worst place to work (in 44 reviews)

• Constant pressure to aggravate guests with credit cards (in 100 reviews)

More Highlights

Fast-paced, you have to learn quickly, its very sink or swim.

I worked at The Gap

Pros

If you work hard and put the customer first and get rated highly by customers you will do well.

Cons

Very fast paced, not much time to learn for seasonal employees except on the job. Can be stressful if you have never worked in retail before.

More training on the cash register, that covers what you would actually encounter on a busy sales day. More than just the basics.

Poor store management implementation, but it's improving

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Beverly Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Beverly Hills, CA

I have been working at The Gap part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Gap is a strong retail brand and pays considerably well for entry-level sales associate and merchandising positions for in store locations. The people are young and friendly.

Cons

Disorganized structure and seems to be understaffed. Definitely not enough training and entry-level sales associates and merchandising/brand associates will not learn much unless they are proactive about speaking with the manager expressing eagerness to learn more.

Be proactive about empowering your employees and being observant and expressive about one's performance. There needs to be more checks to see if projects and tasks are being performed correctly. A lot of times you get told what to do and then no one follows up so there's no incentive to be accountable.

Great company to work for!!! They promote from within the company quite rapidly, if you're performance is up to par.

Current Employee - Visual Merchandising Supervisor in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Visual Merchandising Supervisor in Louisville, KY

I have been working at The Gap full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There is a strong chance you would be promoted at the Gap, as they are a large corporation. Including Banana Republic and Old Navy retailers. Pleasant, but fast paced environment to work in.

Cons

There are no benefits given to part-time employees, which is unfortunate because the only way to attain full-time employment is to become a manager or be hired in as one.

Gap, Inc. is over-saturated with managers. There are so many managers that they begin to micro-manage everything. This type of management works in some environments, however, not at a International Retailer. Employees quit and become frustrated at the fact that someone is constantly standing over their shoulder delegating duties.

It's an amazing place to work in shop

Current Employee - Stock Associate in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Stock Associate in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at The Gap part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Always a positive atmosphere to work in shop in.

Cons

The Prices change to rapidly.

Continue daily meetings it's very useful

Discount is the best part

I worked at The Gap part-time

Pros

Getting 50% off at Gap and Banana Republic, plus discounts at Piperlime, Athleta, and more was incredible.

Cons

I hated having the push the Gap card even though I knew it was a bogus deal.

Love Gap!

Former Employee - Gap Sales Associate in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Gap Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at The Gap part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The Gap store I worked at had a great environment, both for the customers and the employees. There was a huge focus on fun, creativity, and hard work that really made it an enjoyable place to work. I had great coworkers and managers.

Cons

Weekly hours were never very consistent, both too many or too few, and often it was difficult to exchange shifts.

Great place to start your career

Former Employee - Visual Merchandising Manager in Canoga Park, CA
    Former Employee - Visual Merchandising Manager in Canoga Park, CA

I worked at The Gap full-time (more than an year)

Pros

great place to start your career. I started out at the company and it helped get me into the door of other great retailers. I would have stayed at the Gap but was recruited and was offered a great position that I couldn't turn down

Cons

no negatives on leadership, company values etc... Regional management could have been a bit more engaging with staff other than Store Management.

Fast growing company with friendly employees

Current Employee - Industrial Engineer
    Current Employee - Industrial Engineer

I have been working at The Gap full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

For the most part, they are flexible with time off. Especially after you're been there for a year. They are very concerned about employees well being and they're invested in health and welness. Everyone is friendly and

Cons

The structure of manangement is not effective. There have been several restructures to the management of the organization and it created confusion with goal setting and task management. There are very weak ties between upper management and task assignments are not given. There is no clear options for promotion within the company. Applying to other jobs within the company is almost frowned upon, or at least never discussed.

Deliver clear expectations. Encourage exploration of other areas of promotion.

typical retail job

I have been working at The Gap

Pros

the discount is pretty good

Cons

it is hard to get enough hours

Associate Production Manager

Current Employee - Associate Production Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Production Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at The Gap full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule provides a good work life balance, company is very involved with the community

Cons

Salary may not be up to par with the amount of work that is done on a daily basis compared to similar companies.