The Gap

Employer Engaged

Sales Associate

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Seattle, WA

I have been working at The Gap part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The work is fairly easy, and they will hire you even without previous experience.

Cons

Dealing with customers, dealing with managers, working odd hours on an irregular schedule.

Great company experiencing a tough patch.

Former Employee - Store Leader in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Store Leader in San Francisco, CA

I worked at The Gap full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

People
    values
    compensation
    Benefits
    Diversity
    Fun environment
    Discount across 4 brands

Cons

Executive leadership team
    Instability
    Lack of opportunities for advancement
    Work life balance
    Unrealistic expectations

Get the brand back on track

Good place to work at

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Virginia Beach, VA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Virginia Beach, VA

I worked at The Gap part-time (more than a year)

Pros

I liked the environment and the friendly culture. Good atmosphere and friendly colleagues. company values friendly interactions and sharing ideas.

Cons

salary might not be the greatest but yet again compared to other retailers it might not be that bad. It is ok if you are young and don't need to support a family.

invest more on employees. try to improve personal growth and provide more options for training and career mobility within the organization.

Sales associate

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Van Nuys, CA
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Van Nuys, CA

I have been working at The Gap

Pros

Flexible hours with easy tasks. Just have a good attitude and you will get the job.

Cons

Hours are not consistent. Job was part time sometimes no hours were given. Went from a few hours to 0 hours from cut backs.

Know how to run your store. Take more initiative to get things done. Manage your hours better and not let other managers get over time because then there are no hours to give to regular employees.

Okay

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Garden City, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Garden City, NY

I have been working at The Gap part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Discounts. Discounts. Discounts
    Co-workers were pretty cool.

Cons

Hours were bad. Come in expecting to work 8 hours and get cut down to 4 hours.
    Management is terrible

Great for the stores and brands not so good on technology and infrastructure

Former Employee - Technical Lead
    Former Employee - Technical Lead

I worked at The Gap full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Company discount on all brands, BR, Old Navy, Gap, Piperlime. I did learn quite a bit about commerce, stores systems and supply chain technologies from a business perspective as well as a tech lead.

Cons

Sr. Mgr and middle management are not very good. Some are actually not kind to minorities. Management does not know how to deliver and maintain applications. Take technical advice from their "buddy" who is a "good guy" vs. actual technology experts.

Consider diversity from a background and experience for the department they are in. Not just hiring your buddy with no background in supply chain, sourcing, logistics, store systems and no technical skills at all. If they don't have that, perhaps getting people who understand business and process so they can ramp quickly. Consider HR having an "education" program if you must really hire "your buddy" because he has "that something".

HR needs to really understand what a hostile environment is....sometimes it really is the manager and stop covering up for bad management hires.

Not the greatest

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Westwood, NJ
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Westwood, NJ

I worked at The Gap

Pros

50% discount was nice, but that's about it

Cons

pay was not great, no incentive for gap card signups

create incentives for gap card signups

Good first job

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Garden City, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Garden City, NY

I worked at The Gap part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

As long as you work hard you never have to worry about job security. Any hard worker is valued. The company does make efforts to figure out if employees are satisfied- there is an anonymous survey that everyone has to take twice a year. There is also a hotline to call if you feel unsafe telling management about a problem you have.

Cons

It is very, very dependent on what store you work in and who your management is. I worked at three different stores and had wildly different experiences. My first store was horribly run, I was treated terribly and got only 4 hours a week. (This store has since had a management overhaul- every manager I knew has been fired.) The second store I worked at was amazing because my head manager was such a great guy. Loved working there. It tends to be high turnover- typical for retail- so you start loving managers and they leave. It is difficult to raise higher than a sales associate. They do NOT want to hire people full time and pay benefits, so they avoid it at all costs. They won't generally promote anyone from associate to manager. They prefer to hire outside the company rather than take a great associate and make them a manager. This is a huge failing of theirs, and they lose great employees doing this. Anyone worthwhile who finds they cannot advance leaves for better things.

Promote your sales associates to full time or managers when they are deserving. You lose amazing employees by not allowing them a chance to advance. It happened to me and to about 6 coworkers I knew- all of us left, and all of us were great, hardworking employees. No one wants to stay a sales associate working 9/hr 25 hours a week forever. I stayed so long because I loved my coworkers, not so much loyalty to the company.

Good company to work for. They care about their employees.

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Frisco, TX
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Frisco, TX

I worked at The Gap (less than a year)

Pros

Great discount and flexible hours. You also get to work a lot with people.

Cons

Having a GapCard quota to fill made is difficult to do my job properly and without constant pressure to get GapCards.

I know that GapCards are a big deal for the company, but I would say to lay off the pressure for them. I felt bad trying to sell GapCards to people that I could tell were not in any place to be opening up new credit cards while my manager was breathing down my neck.

Great people, but classic retail. Location, location, location.

I worked at The Gap

Pros

If you are surrounded by great people, working at the gap is an absolute blast. Pay is very well for part time positions.

Cons

Some upper management has no idea what they're doing. Come from business background, not selling background.