The Gap

3.5
1,720 Reviews

The Gap Chairman and CEO Glenn K. Murphy
Glenn K. Murphy

Pros
  • Gap has an extensive training program and meets everyone's work-life balance well (in 90 reviews)

• Good pay compared to other retail companies, along with good employee discount (in 178 reviews)

Cons
  • If you are looking for work/life balance then this could be the worst place to work (in 45 reviews)

• Constant pressure to aggravate guests with credit cards (in 100 reviews)

More Highlights

Sales Associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chandler, AZ
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chandler, AZ

I worked at The Gap part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great place to work! Fun! Good benefits and discounts!

Cons

unknown, variable work/schedule hours, pay

Really the majority of these positive reviews is a joke.

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Chicago, IL

I have been working at The Gap part-time (more than an year)

Pros

discount...that's about it. cool employees.

Cons

GAP CARD...no one wants to BE PUSHED into getting this HIGH INTEREST CARD. Gap you are so out of touch with market trends its sad. You lure people into hiring with false promises of hours. But they are constantly cut because corporate is so strict with hours. Also people should know before considering to work here that if you don't get customers to sign up for the stupid gap card. YOU WONT GET ANY HOURS. Maybe once a week. They also feel "On Calls" is appropriate. With one actual scheduled shift a week for 4...hrs long. Literally my smallest paycheck was like 25 dollars. I shouldn't have to plan my life around your silly on call schedule. You call in two hours before the on call to see if you are needed. Often times you are not used. They do this because they feel its acceptable . I do not encourage anyone to take a position here. You would be wasting valuable time. There's minimal to no actual training. You are left to your own devices a lot of the time. Often times when you ask questions. You are simply scolded.

Management doesn't listen so there's no point.

Gap is a nice place to work

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Studio City, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Studio City, CA

I have been working at The Gap part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Discounts are the best. Working with cool people who are passionate about their job is a bonus.

Cons

Lots of customers. Store gets disarrayed very easily. You have to keep Arran hung constantly. You have to make sure everything is in tact also.

I do, but don't regret it at the same time...

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Bronx, NY
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Bronx, NY

I have been working at The Gap part-time (less than an year)

Pros

leadership, work-life balance, flexibility, environment. To be honest this is a really chill place to work as far as retail goes. They really want you to value the customer and give a great experience to people, which to me is fantastic. I love talking to people and helping them without getting penalized for it. I agree with other reviews on here, where people give you tasks and don't hover over you to make sure you do it.. the people I work with are usually kind and open minded. It's a fair place, and the pay isn't bad for retail. FANTASTIC discount on their clothes. They will spend time teaching you about culture and retail, because they want you to be into the GAP life.

Cons

LACK OF HOURS (I cannot stress this enough). If you wanted a retail job that gives you real hours, this is NOT the company to work for. There are weeks of no hours. Srsly. Their hours depend on the money a location makes. It really sucks. The only way you make hours is if you're management. Sucks. If I would have known, I would have accepted another job offer I had.
    No benefits at all.
    They SUPER stress getting people to sign up for gap cards. IT'S ALL ABOUT GAP CARDS. ALL DAY EVERY DAY. They'll even give you less hours if you don't make any cards. It doesn't matter how good you are at your job, the only thing that matters are the cards. I mean I get it, but ghad dang. Super obsessed.

Care about the well-roundedness of your employees, give them more hours so they can learn their jobs better and have an actual shot at promotion... You make way too much money to sit there and tell me you can't afford to give more hours to the people that drive the sales. Also, Better rewards system for gap cards. Doesn't have to be money..

Bad Communication no matter what store or unit your in

Former Employee - Stock Supervisor in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Stock Supervisor in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at The Gap full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great Benefits, Great Pay, Great Discount

Cons

The company, its managers, and its staff do not communicate well. The company allows district managers to control company policy and thats just unacceptable. There was always confusion around Dress code and various other policies because what the company allowed. Market Leaders would come in and want stricter guidelines. Everyone did their own thing

Stick to the policies and dont make up policies just because your a basic soccer mom and want everyone else to be a mirror image of you.

Fraudulent company

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at The Gap part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nice upbeat fun place to work.

Cons

Thiscompany cares nothing for the employees. Hours depend on the money the company makes hourly. If they are not making goals per hour your shift will get cut. One on one coverage on evening shifts which can be dangerous. Too many tasks placed on kne person to get done. This company went to the media about raising all workers pay to $10 an hour but now will barely give you 5-10 hrs aweek! They are not evening scheduling the workers now to benefit from the raise...this company is a crocket in every state because its ran the same

Corporate need to sit down and re evaluate how the stores are ran...you have to spend money to make money. It start with the employees. Pay them accordingly. Give merit raises based on performance. Make sure you store managers ate giving yearly reviews because they dont.

Happiness is highly correlated with the team and department.

Current Employee - Associate Production Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Associate Production Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at The Gap full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work/life balance is better than most retail companies...if you're on a team that cares about it.

Cons

Very difficult to be promoted working on the production team whereas merchandising is exceedingly rapid. The product management team is a joke.

Force more junior employees to experience different departments and improve the promotion opportunities

Fun experience, terrible structure

I have been working at The Gap

Pros

The discount is great, better than any retail store ever! The employees are mostly college students, trying to get work experience and knowledge of the company. Can move up in the leader ladder but you have to work hard... Family feel to coworkers and great flexible scheduling.

Cons

Managers have favorites, that get away with things such as following clothing guidelines ... General manager is always talking down on everyone, the companies open door policy isn't really open door one may say it's always closed. Attitude amongst managers... The hours suck, if your lucky 25 hours a week instead of 40.

Be more social make the environment fun for the employees so we can both be happy

Good culture, limited upward mobility. Solid company for a new risk/safe environment.

Former Employee - MBA Intern in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - MBA Intern in San Francisco, CA

I worked at The Gap as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great culture. People are generally nice and pleasant. Lots of opportunity to move horizontally across functions and brands.

Cons

Tough to move up, not senior managements fault. Middle managers that have been there too long and are company people.

Consider leadership development program to attract young management talent

THE WORST JOB EVER! NO TRAINING

Former Employee - General Manager
    Former Employee - General Manager

I worked at The Gap full-time (less than an year)

Pros

nothing was good other the payment

Cons

company has no organization and the market leaders are lost a lack of training is visible

invest in tr5aining and probably the company will be able to compete like before