The Gap

3.5
1,715 Reviews

The Gap Chairman and CEO Glenn K. Murphy
Glenn K. Murphy

Pros
  • Gap has an extensive training program and meets everyone's work-life balance well (in 90 reviews)

• Good pay compared to other retail companies, along with good employee discount (in 178 reviews)

Cons
  • If you are looking for work/life balance then this could be the worst place to work (in 45 reviews)

• Constant pressure to aggravate guests with credit cards (in 100 reviews)

More Highlights

Sales Associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chandler, AZ
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chandler, AZ

I worked at The Gap part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great place to work! Fun! Good benefits and discounts!

Cons

unknown, variable work/schedule hours, pay

Gap is a nice place to work

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Studio City, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Studio City, CA

I have been working at The Gap part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Discounts are the best. Working with cool people who are passionate about their job is a bonus.

Cons

Lots of customers. Store gets disarrayed very easily. You have to keep Arran hung constantly. You have to make sure everything is in tact also.

Really the majority of these positive reviews is a joke.

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Chicago, IL

I have been working at The Gap part-time (more than an year)

Pros

discount...that's about it. cool employees.

Cons

GAP CARD...no one wants to BE PUSHED into getting this HIGH INTEREST CARD. Gap you are so out of touch with market trends its sad. You lure people into hiring with false promises of hours. But they are constantly cut because corporate is so strict with hours. Also people should know before considering to work here that if you don't get customers to sign up for the stupid gap card. YOU WONT GET ANY HOURS. Maybe once a week. They also feel "On Calls" is appropriate. With one actual scheduled shift a week for 4...hrs long. Literally my smallest paycheck was like 25 dollars. I shouldn't have to plan my life around your silly on call schedule. You call in two hours before the on call to see if you are needed. Often times you are not used. They do this because they feel its acceptable . I do not encourage anyone to take a position here. You would be wasting valuable time. There's minimal to no actual training. You are left to your own devices a lot of the time. Often times when you ask questions. You are simply scolded.

Management doesn't listen so there's no point.

Good overall workplace atmosphere, management and associates always seem to get along

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at The Gap part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible Scheduling, Friendly management group

Cons

Product quality began to diminish

hire people you truly want to see succeed instead of marginalizing a worker through shift reductions. It was disheartening seeing coworkers just simply get phased out with shift reductions only to see mine and other associates hours increase.

I do, but don't regret it at the same time...

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Bronx, NY
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Bronx, NY

I have been working at The Gap part-time (less than an year)

Pros

leadership, work-life balance, flexibility, environment. To be honest this is a really chill place to work as far as retail goes. They really want you to value the customer and give a great experience to people, which to me is fantastic. I love talking to people and helping them without getting penalized for it. I agree with other reviews on here, where people give you tasks and don't hover over you to make sure you do it.. the people I work with are usually kind and open minded. It's a fair place, and the pay isn't bad for retail. FANTASTIC discount on their clothes. They will spend time teaching you about culture and retail, because they want you to be into the GAP life.

Cons

LACK OF HOURS (I cannot stress this enough). If you wanted a retail job that gives you real hours, this is NOT the company to work for. There are weeks of no hours. Srsly. Their hours depend on the money a location makes. It really sucks. The only way you make hours is if you're management. Sucks. If I would have known, I would have accepted another job offer I had.
    No benefits at all.
    They SUPER stress getting people to sign up for gap cards. IT'S ALL ABOUT GAP CARDS. ALL DAY EVERY DAY. They'll even give you less hours if you don't make any cards. It doesn't matter how good you are at your job, the only thing that matters are the cards. I mean I get it, but ghad dang. Super obsessed.

Care about the well-roundedness of your employees, give them more hours so they can learn their jobs better and have an actual shot at promotion... You make way too much money to sit there and tell me you can't afford to give more hours to the people that drive the sales. Also, Better rewards system for gap cards. Doesn't have to be money..

Bad Communication no matter what store or unit your in

Former Employee - Stock Supervisor in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Stock Supervisor in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at The Gap full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great Benefits, Great Pay, Great Discount

Cons

The company, its managers, and its staff do not communicate well. The company allows district managers to control company policy and thats just unacceptable. There was always confusion around Dress code and various other policies because what the company allowed. Market Leaders would come in and want stricter guidelines. Everyone did their own thing

Stick to the policies and dont make up policies just because your a basic soccer mom and want everyone else to be a mirror image of you.

Fraudulent company

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at The Gap part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nice upbeat fun place to work.

Cons

Thiscompany cares nothing for the employees. Hours depend on the money the company makes hourly. If they are not making goals per hour your shift will get cut. One on one coverage on evening shifts which can be dangerous. Too many tasks placed on kne person to get done. This company went to the media about raising all workers pay to $10 an hour but now will barely give you 5-10 hrs aweek! They are not evening scheduling the workers now to benefit from the raise...this company is a crocket in every state because its ran the same

Corporate need to sit down and re evaluate how the stores are ran...you have to spend money to make money. It start with the employees. Pay them accordingly. Give merit raises based on performance. Make sure you store managers ate giving yearly reviews because they dont.

THE WORST JOB EVER! NO TRAINING

Former Employee - General Manager
    Former Employee - General Manager

I worked at The Gap full-time (less than an year)

Pros

nothing was good other the payment

Cons

company has no organization and the market leaders are lost a lack of training is visible

invest in tr5aining and probably the company will be able to compete like before

Okay so far! Still new.

Current Employee - Sale's Associate in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sale's Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at The Gap part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Working with all sorts of people.

Cons

Dealing with more than one customer.

Better pay?

Family Fun

I worked at The Gap part-time

Pros

I love the enthusiasm employees have about working with Gap. Everyone i worked with has been a customer at some point before working with the company.

Cons

Store Management I had were not about the hard workers I felt. It was who they favored.

Leadership skills needs to improve