The Gap

3.5
1,756 Reviews

The Gap Chairman and CEO Glenn K. Murphy
Glenn K. Murphy

Pros
  • Flexible schedule provides a good work life balance, company is very involved with the community (in 90 reviews)

• Good pay compared to other retail companies, along with good employee discount (in 179 reviews)

Cons
  • If you are looking for work/life balance then this could be the worst place to work (in 45 reviews)

• Constant pressure to aggravate guests with credit cards (in 102 reviews)

More Highlights

IT Service Operator

Current Employee - IT Service Operator in Rocklin, CA
    Current Employee - IT Service Operator in Rocklin, CA

I have been working at The Gap as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Company is well structured, face paced, they are very big on the concept of growth mindset.

Cons

Too much change and the higher ups do not keep everyone informed. Management is secretive about everything.

Trying, but not sure if they'll succeed

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at The Gap full-time

Pros

- Understand the changes that need to be made in order to compete in the future of retail.
    - At the heart, care about their employees and their customers.
    - Exceptional training and development for the retail industry.

Cons

- Political and competitive environment.
    - Leadership is disconnected from reality at the lower levels.
    - Turnover is increasing.
    - No clear path or direction as the company tries to make changes.
    - Increasingly less product focused.

Take some time to understand how the changes you are trying to make impact the team before pushing them through. Be more thoughtful to the culture you are creating. Listen to your employees.

It was a good start off employment

I worked at The Gap full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nice people, good first job memories

Cons

Rules could be be petty and stupid. Employees didn't always feel like they were valued and could be replaced.

Fraudulent company

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at The Gap part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nice upbeat fun place to work.

Cons

Thiscompany cares nothing for the employees. Hours depend on the money the company makes hourly. If they are not making goals per hour your shift will get cut. One on one coverage on evening shifts which can be dangerous. Too many tasks placed on kne person to get done. This company went to the media about raising all workers pay to $10 an hour but now will barely give you 5-10 hrs aweek! They are not evening scheduling the workers now to benefit from the raise...this company is a crocket in every state because its ran the same

Corporate need to sit down and re evaluate how the stores are ran...you have to spend money to make money. It start with the employees. Pay them accordingly. Give merit raises based on performance. Make sure you store managers ate giving yearly reviews because they dont.

Happiness is highly correlated with the team and department.

Current Employee - Associate Production Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Associate Production Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at The Gap full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work/life balance is better than most retail companies...if you're on a team that cares about it.

Cons

Very difficult to be promoted working on the production team whereas merchandising is exceedingly rapid. The product management team is a joke.

Force more junior employees to experience different departments and improve the promotion opportunities

I.T. Department

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I worked at The Gap full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fun place to work. Good training and lots of perks

Cons

They do discriminate against age, even in the non-sales area, i.e. corporate office. Got this information from my former manager who was also a friend. If you're over 40, forget about this place.

Fun experience, terrible structure

I have been working at The Gap

Pros

The discount is great, better than any retail store ever! The employees are mostly college students, trying to get work experience and knowledge of the company. Can move up in the leader ladder but you have to work hard... Family feel to coworkers and great flexible scheduling.

Cons

Managers have favorites, that get away with things such as following clothing guidelines ... General manager is always talking down on everyone, the companies open door policy isn't really open door one may say it's always closed. Attitude amongst managers... The hours suck, if your lucky 25 hours a week instead of 40.

Be more social make the environment fun for the employees so we can both be happy

The best employee discount, but no payroll for your store. Run one on one coverage.

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I have been working at The Gap full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Pretty good benefits
    Generous Employee discount
    Fun staff atmosphere
    working with customers

Cons

Not enough payroll hours
    NOT good pay at all for managers and the amount of work we have to do
    No raises- even if you get a really great Review, $.15 every year if you're lucky
    General Management is way to clicky, especially in the Minnesota district
    Management leaders get no recognition at all
    Nagging constantly about gap card goals on a daily basis
    Everyday gap changes one promo and then the next day, changes it back to a previous "sale" then you run around with no payroll hours changing signs you just had two days before

It's really tough working for a company so long that doesn't value all the hard work we do in the stores each day. All it is we here..."cut more payroll", "get gap card", "why is your CES score so low"...Let's see. If we had actual enough hours and didn't have to run one-on-one coverage every week, we could help customers in the fitting rooms, we could "sell and suggest" instead of being forced to stand at a register and all you do is ring. It'd be nice to actually get to go to the bathroom when you have to! But you can't leave the side of your store empty. It's so frustrating. Especially when your stores CES comments suggest, "i wish there were more staff members to help me out". Even our regular customers can see and feel what it's like for us to not be able to "actually help them" because we can only say, "thank you for your patience, I'll be right with you..." And then ten min later, once your done ringing your long line, doing a stock check on the phone, a RIS beeping, that customer walks out and says "forget about it".

It was a great places to work

I have been working at The Gap

Pros

Got to try on all the jeans to tell customers about the fit or style of the jeans

Cons

The drive back and forth was to much

It is What It is

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at The Gap part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Discount, Relatively Simple, Easy To Call Out Sick, always food in the break room, some of the coworkers were cool

Cons

You're disposable to them. I gave my two weeks notice, thinking I was doing them a favor, and they never scheduled me again. So I missed out on two entire weeks of pay. Next time, I'll give no notice. They play favorites and schedule the people they know way more. Can't ask off for Holidays. Can't clock in a minute late.