The Gap

Employer Engaged

The Gap Reviews in San Bruno, CA

3.9

Art Peck

Pros
  • Flexible schedule provides a good work life balance, company is very involved with the community (in 90 reviews)

• Good pay compared to other retail companies, along with good employee discount (in 179 reviews)

Cons
  • If you are looking for work/life balance then this could be the worst place to work (in 45 reviews)

• Constant pressure to aggravate guests with credit cards (in 102 reviews)

More Highlights

10 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

It was great while it lasted

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in San Bruno, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in San Bruno, CA

I worked at The Gap full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Investment in continued education
    Great for early career path
    Great discount

Cons

IT was not the highest priority

Invest in tech!

Fun environment, fast paced but hard to get hands on different technologies.

Former Employee - Engineer in San Bruno, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer in San Bruno, CA

I worked at The Gap

Pros

Fun environment to work in.

Cons

Large organization, hard to get hands on different technologies.

Is there a pilot in the plane ?

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Bruno, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Bruno, CA

I have been working at The Gap

Pros

Comparable benefits with large corporate companies. No job security though.

Cons

Regular lay-offs
    Outsourcing
    Lack of planning
    No long term view for IT.

Good place to work

I worked at The Gap

Pros

good environment to work
    free covered parking

Cons

site will be closing at end of year

better communication needed from upper management

OK place to work although could be better

I have been working at The Gap

Pros

Great clothing discount (although not as great with discount policy changes), casual work environment with some flexibility in work/life balance issues.

Cons

Heavy favoritism exists, not very competent senior leaders get promoted due to likability factor instead of based on professional ability or skills. Pressure on middle management to deliver favorable performance reviews for senior leaders' favorites. Phrase I've heard several times for favored staff is "don't you believe this person is performing above target?" as opposed to "how would you rate this person's performance?" for all others.

While I agree that strong interpersonal skills is very important for senior leaders, technical skills is needed as a foundation as well in order to successfully lead and provide guidance to the rest of the department and shouldn't be overlooked. A leader who looks at her team with a blank look during detailed technical discussion or a finance leader who gets their debit and credit accounting entries confused doesn't have their staff's respect!

Good people, many opportunities to move within groups

I worked at The Gap

Pros

I worked in the San Bruno office and there were many smart, fun co-workers who are still there. Having left, I now realize that there were many more opportunities to move within groups internally and opportunities to be promoted vs most other companies. I greatly miss the 50% discount at Gap and Banana Repubic!

Cons

For two years when i worked there, I received zero bonus, despite putting in many extra hours and doing a good job, because the company did not perform well. Additionally, 3 people in my group quit and I was doing the work of many extra people, yet got no bonus and no extra recognition. Many other companies give spot bonuses, recognition awarsd, etc.

Management should make more of an effort to appreciate the extra efforts put forth by their staff- if they feel underappreciated, they will leave.

All thiings considered a good place to work

Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in San Bruno, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in San Bruno, CA

I have been working at The Gap

Pros

Work life balance is nice and the employee discount is pretty awesome especially when you have kids. People are fun to work with.

Cons

Overall YOY comps not so strong. This has put Gap in a save your way to success mode. Overall IT support is lacking and system delays and outages are the norm, not the exception.

Listen to your customers and give them what they want. Actually you should be asking them first and then listen. Feels like nobody is asking.

Fall into the Gap.

I have been working at The Gap

Pros

Up to 50% discount with their brands. Flexible schedules, including ability to tele-commute. The environment is clean and casual.

Cons

Company is still struggling to gain market share and improve sales, which leads to a lot of re-organizations.

Continue to be forthcoming about your thoughts and goals. Mitigate spin and decrease political red tape. Be more proactive with cultivating talent within. With re-organizations, the company looses good talented people and sometimes very valuable knowledge. Bridge the gap between IT and the Business.

Don't fall into the Gap

Current Employee - Systems Analyst in San Bruno, CA
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst in San Bruno, CA

I have been working at The Gap

Pros

Short commute and parking is easy. Depending on the department the hours are flexible. The discount isn't bad.

Cons

Too big a company to have a variety of duties in a position. The holiday schedule is one of the worst in the Bay Area. The senior management in IT has changed so many times, I'm not even sure how many director's I've had and they all of different management styles.

It's been my experience that the workers that are good, dependable, responsible, and not the squeaky wheel do not get recognized. They sit in the background and get the smaller raises and are rarely praised, yet those are the ones I would want to work with again.

Look like a Gap ad or want "just a job"? Apply here. Want fullfillment in your career? Look elsewhere.

Former Employee - Developer in San Bruno, CA
    Former Employee - Developer in San Bruno, CA

I worked at The Gap

Pros

You can wear jeans to work every day & the employee discount (Gap, Banana Republic, Old Navy and Piperlime) seemed popular for those who shop there.

For contractors, the pay can be excellent if you ask for it. And you rarely work more than 40 hours weeks, because they don't want to pay the overtime. For employees, the benefits are excellent for the Bay Area - it is the place to work if you are planning to get pregnant. For employees, they won't discourage you from working more than 40 hours if you feel motivated, but it is rarely required.

If you are into retail or fashion, this could be interesting to you. If you want a fairly straight-forward, not overly-taxing job, this could also be the right place. And, if you are into UI, they use some relatively new UI technologies since it is a customer site.

To sum up, if you are in your 20s - early 30s, already married, own or looking to own a house, have (or planning to have) kids, wear Gap clothing on a regular basis, and live in the suburbs of San Francisco, it is probably the perfect atmosphere for you.

Both the longevity and the turnover of employees is high. If you can stand it, people stay for 10, 12, 15 years ... easy job, good pay, and unlikely they will ever fire you if you have been there that long.

Cons

It is not a tech company, it is a retail company that needs software people to run their website. It is fairly straight-forward programming. If you are looking for a challenge or to work with rocket scientist caliber folks, they usually aren't here.

While I said the work is not overly taxing, the inefficiencies and obstacles to getting your work done can be quite stressful despite the work not being difficult.

Because it is a large company, you are placed in a very small niche position. If you like variety in your work, not the right place for you. Also, because you have such a small job, I found it hard to grow in your career there.

Additionally, if you do not fit into the suburban category I described under the best reasons to work there, i.e. you are city person, the culture at the Gap can either make you run screaming or turn you into a cookie cutter drone.

Turnover for new hires is very high for all the reasons above.

There is a ton of inefficiently: a lot running around, overly long meetings, and needless processes and stress which don't solve any of the glaring issues slowing down development. In general, less management and more smart, efficient working could go a long way for the Gap.