The Goddard School

Be The First To
Add Photos

The Goddard School President & CEO Joe Schumacher

Joe Schumacher

Pros:
  • "Working with the children is great, and I am lucky to work at a center with some pretty great co-workers"
    in 6 reviews
  • "The families and children you get to meet"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "The amount of work you do as a Lead compared to the pay you get is not worth it"
    in 6 reviews
  • "I spent lots of time outside of work making my lesson plans but the Teacher just let the kids in our class free play all day"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Very confusing

Lead Teacher (Former Employee)
    Roswell, GA

ProsGreat staff, wonderful kids, cool parents

ConsLow compensation for the workload, terrible management

Advice to Senior ManagementShow more appreciation to the teachers because they are the ones making the school go round; start by saying thank you at the end of the day. For the amount of work that is asked, between QA and state regulations, a raise is definitely needed AT LEAST once per year. Put more trust into the teachers and allow them to do their job and cut the micro-management out because that only makes everybody more stressed. I know that every school is different, but this particular Goddard has got to be the worst.

It sucks because you want to work there and teach and care for the kids, but management doesn't really want you too. The owner is clearly in it for the money and cares nothing for the school in general; employees, children, classrooms, etc. Children come and go, teachers come and go, it's just really pathetic. The owner doesn't even seem to care and she watches her business go down and does nothing but apply more pressure to the staff as if its our fault.

This particular owner charges $3 per catered lunch per child. Gets an order for let's say, 60 kids, purchases only 30 lunches (which is only half), divides 30 lunches to feed 60 kids, and pockets the rest. Very grimey and greedy. No raise or benefits for teachers, no appreciation, the playground is full of dirt with the worst equipment ever. They don't order supplies for our class; we have to purchase things ourselves and come back with a receipt and possibly get reimbursed in a timely manner. There are too many words I can use to describe how awful this school is. The only thing I can say is: STAY AWAY!!!!

Loves the kids, disliked the management.

Assistant Teacher (Current Employee)

ProsYou get to work with great teachers and wonderful kids and parents.

ConsHowever, this is a franchise so every school is going to have a little bit of a different management. And that is the issue here. The director is pretty rude to the employees and made the day to day much more stressful than it is needed.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive appreciation to your teachers. They are who are keeping the kids enrolled in the school.

High quality preschool

Preschool Teacher (Former Employee)
    Suffern, NY

ProsThe high quality expectations make for a better environment for the children and staff. The teachers are loving, nurturing and caring. They make learning fun.

ConsLong hours, low compensation.

Advice to Senior ManagementReview Compensation for employees

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work!

Teacher (Current Employee)
    Bel Air, MD

ProsAwesome families who appreciate the teachers and everything we do.
    Owners and Directors are fair and really care about us both personally and professionally.
    Fun team building and outside activities. My co-workers have degrees and a ton of training...so I do not get the other reviews.
    Insurance, benefits, compensation, etc. all good.

ConsPay....but I get that this is the whole industry and not just my school.
    We have our accreditation so that means 24 plus training hours and most trainings are offered in the evening which makes for a long day especially with a family at home.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaking sure afternoon staff take care of the room they are in and clean up.
    Find more subs

I stuck through it because I loved my kids but the Director of my school was terrible.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosthe kids! which I guess should be an obvious reason. I loved my kids, I loved the age group, I loved how big our classroom was, I loved my co-workers; loved loved loved them, we were like one big family, we all got along and enjoyed working with each other

ConsOkay..where to start, the actual Goddard and State regulators that come to check up on the schools are actually very pleasant people but the owner of my particular school was something else entirely. First of all there was no "time clock" we had to write down what time we arrived and left everyday in a binder on a weekly paper that had our name on it..our school probably had over 30 employees and at the end of every week 2 people would go over EVERYONE'S sign in sheet to send into payroll so of course there were times when hours and pay didn't match up...simple solution..get a time clock!

Every year we were supposed to have a raise (if they thought we deserved one) and a discussion about how we were doing...well good luck with that. Unless you went up and asked for a raise or discussion, you didn't get one. There is also a LOT of favoritism. If you aren't one of the favorites forget about being treated like a human being. We, the staff, were actually told that if we needed to use the restroom we weren't allowed to ask another staff member to step into the room for a second (because in childcare you have to keep your room in ratio at all times, teacher-child ratio) we were told we HAD to wait for either the Assistant Director or Owner to come by and let us use the bathroom. So girls when your "time of the month" comes-a-calling and you gotta go right now or when the stomach flu hits, you better go buy some depends because you'll be waiting until someone is "available" to give you a bathroom break.

There aren't enough toys to rotate in and out of the classrooms, the kids get bored playing with the same stuff day in and day out, doing the same things day in and day out, even with a new lesson plan everyday, some of these kids are in your care for 12 hours!!! No matter how spectacular your lesson plan is 12 hours is a long day to have every second planned out..and feel free to go out and by your own toys, crafts, and games for the kids but expect to be spending most of your own money to by them which is fine if you're actually getting paid a decent amount of money but for the most part you're making somewhere around $10 an hour which isn't necessarily enough to support a family of 4 and supply your classroom with toys and such.

For the most part you will not be treated as an individual working at the Goddard School, the staff is treated as in-disposable, unless, like I stated earlier you're one of the favorites, there are a lot of negative comments and not enough positive praise coming from Management for all the hard work we do as Child Care workers/Teachers. I know that vomit, poop, sickness, biting, blood and boo-boos are all apart of working with children but treating your employees, who work their butts off everyday working 8am-6pm shifts, like they could be easily replaced isn't the way to go about a business. NO WONDER the Goddard School has such a high teacher turnover rate.

I will say the time I spent at Goddard I wouldn't take back or give up for anything. It taught me a lot about what I want to do with my future in terms of Teaching and I created a bond with a lot of women I wouldn't of met otherwise, I also loved the kids in my class, they kept me coming back everyday happy and proud to be so loved by kids that weren't even my own but in order to keep the good people around who will love the children at this school like their own children, Goddard really needs to work on APPRECIATION. We teach our kids to act a certain way and I believe some of the Owners of this school must have grown up and forgot one of the biggest rules of childhood.

If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. or at least try to do it without belittling everyone.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to treat employees like they actually matter.

This school is a JOKE!!!

Teacher (Former Employee)
    Pasadena, MD

ProsAll the teachers are amazing and truly love all the children and parents.

ConsThe owner doesn't know anything about children or education! The management is rude and careless about staff! As a teacher I felt like I had to act like I was walking on glass. The teacher turnover rate is unheard of! Management is all about quick fixes and putting on a front to make the situation seem better. They also don't allow the teachers to stay in md state law ratio because they don't keep enough teachers. The pay crappy too even if you have a degree!

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to treat your teachers with respect!

Overworked Underappriciated

Assistant Teacher (Current Employee)

ProsVery clean and high-quality school.
    Wonderful supportive parents.
    Hugs and kisses from children.

ConsWay too much paperwork for all teachers including infant and toddler classes. No time is given for teachers to do the insane amount of work they have to do except when the children nap and children don't always nap. Fairly low pay in comparison to the amount of work expected. Unorganized management who does not respect teachers. This is an extremely high stress job and I feel that the management should have been more helpful to the teachers and assistants. There was quite a high turnover during the period that I was there.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive more support to teachers and assistance. Appreciate your Staff more.
    Do not involve yourself in gossip or office favoritism.
    Be more organized in your schedule so the teachers know what to expect as far as breaks etc. Be in your office more so that teachers who call the office will get a response.

Owners and Directors are grossly incompetent

Teacher (Former Employee)
    McKinney, TX

ProsSome of the teachers are good.

ConsThe owners and directors are not honest with parents. They take their time or do not inform parents of incidents. The franchise in which I worked should be investigated for gross negligence on the part of the senior leadership. Parents, if your children attend this school, make sure that you are hyper attentive to bite marks and other signs of injuries because the employees are banned from notifying you if your child is bitten or hit by another child.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart reporting incidences of children biting and hitting other children. Corporate leadership - Pay more attention to what is happening in your franchises and enforce corporate policy.

Depending on location, can be a good school but they treat their teachers poorly

Lead Teacher (Former Employee)
    Cincinnati, OH

ProsThe best reason to work at the Goddard school: the children (but isn't the best reason to teach anywhere?)
    Another pro: our school was new so we had nice facilities and resources in our classrooms were nice

ConsTerrible ownership
    Terrible benefits (5 vacation days! no 401k and expensive insurance)
    Pay was unbelievably low- I couldn't even live off the $10/hr they paid me.
    --Overall, this is a for-profit school, so owner treats it like a business and in the end, just wants to make money. Put as many kids in the classrooms as possible, pay the teachers as little as possible.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop treating this school like a business. The children should matter the most, which means stop shoving too many children in 1 room. The children lose out because the teachers can't divide their attention evenly! Most of all, listen to your employees - they are the ones in the classrooms every day.

Good school, but it really depends on the ownership on how well the kiddos and staff experience is there

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Jamison, PA

ProsKids and my co teacher were the only really good things about working there.

ConsHigh turn over rate. It depends on the owner of the school on how well your experience will be here.

Worked for The Goddard School? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at The Goddard School reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for The Goddard School CEO Joe Schumacher. All 106 reviews posted anonymously by The Goddard School employees.