The Goddard School

Updated February 27, 2015
2.8

The Goddard School President & CEO Joe Schumacher
Joe Schumacher

Pros
  • The families and children you get to meet (in 8 reviews)

• Great families and kids are fooled in this place (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • The amount of work you do as a Lead compared to the pay you get is not worth it (in 9 reviews)

• Lead Teachers have A TON of work to do and do not always get the support they need to do it (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Working with the students was the highlight of my time there.

I worked at The Goddard School full-time

Pros

Interaction with the students
    Interaction with the parents
    Interactions with some of the staff members

Cons

The lack of proper training to those who have no experience in education.

Ok

I have been working at The Goddard School

Pros

They have flexible hours for employees

Cons

They have a low employee retention rate

Kids are great but pay and benefits were horrible

I worked at The Goddard School

Pros

The endless supply of hugs laughs and smiles from the kids

Cons

The pay is horrible considering they want you to have a valid teaching certificate. They did not offer benefits, had to keep my part-time job because I had benefits through them. Management did not appreciate what you had to deal with on a daily basis. Asst teacher went out on maternity and no long term replacement was hired; had different substitute everyday for 6 weeks.

Disappointing. I was hoping for a more professional environment upon accepting job (based on reputation).

Former Employee - Lead Teacher
    Former Employee - Lead Teacher

I worked at The Goddard School full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Weekends off, major holidays off, good reputation as early childhood care provider.

Cons

Low pay, 5-10 hours per week of off-the-clock take home work, lack of training for new teachers, no health insurance offered, classes at maximum capacity.

Train new teachers, set clear expectations, be consistent, offer planning time each week.

Best place to work with children

Former Employee - Lead Toddler Teacher in Lake in the Hills, IL
    Former Employee - Lead Toddler Teacher in Lake in the Hills, IL

I worked at The Goddard School full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Priority of this center is to provide safe and clean environment for children to learn and grow. Good pay, good benefits. Management cares about both employees and their views. Owner is on site for a smooth run of the center, unlike corporate run centers

Cons

none NONE NONE NONE NONE

Keep up !!

Hired two months ago

Current Employee - Teacher Assistant in Round Lake, IL
    Current Employee - Teacher Assistant in Round Lake, IL

I have been working at The Goddard School part-time (less than a year)

Pros

They asked reasonable questions at the interview and were very honest and upfront about their needs and wants for open positions.

Cons

After being hired they have cut my hours and I originally was interviewed for full time but now I am part time.

Continue to honest and direct with potential employees and current employees

Was good but could have been better

Current Employee - Lead Toddler Teacher in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Lead Toddler Teacher in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at The Goddard School

Pros

The kids are awesome. Fellow coworkers are nice and friendly. Decent work life balance.

Cons

It seemed the boss was in it for the money only. Lots of work for little pay. Comparable to what a public school system would have and you do it for less money. The administration would expect more from employees than they would expect from themselves.

Pay your employees more money!

Horribly overworked and underpaid

Former Employee - Lead Teacher in Clinton, NJ
    Former Employee - Lead Teacher in Clinton, NJ

I worked at The Goddard School full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The children and their families. I met some awesome kids, and parents who were very supportive of the staff.

Cons

Owners are generally tuition hungry at the expense of providing a real educational experience for the kids. Lead teachers are paid very little, yet expected to do the work of a public school teacher. Materials are scarce, and teachers often find themselves spending their own money on supplies.

Value your employees. Your teachers are the reason why families keep their kids in school. Pay them what they are worth. Put more energy into developing the educational aspect of your school istead of blindly worrying about money. Don't lie. Especially when the staff can overhear you lying to potential parents. It undermines your staff's faith in you. Don't talk about your staff to parents. It always gets back to the peron you talked about.

Best teachers and principal, but lacking good ownership

Current Employee - Lead Preschool Teacher in Bloomingdale, IL
    Current Employee - Lead Preschool Teacher in Bloomingdale, IL

I have been working at The Goddard School full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Awesome teachers and Director, teachers had a a lot of input into the curriculum and lesson planning.

Cons

Poor Ownership, run poorly, NO benefits, poor pay.

Take better care of your staff so they stick around longer

Not worth it...

Former Employee - Lead Teacher in Gaithersburg, MD
    Former Employee - Lead Teacher in Gaithersburg, MD

I worked at The Goddard School full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed my job working with children. The families really appreciate all the hard work all the teachers put into their children. I worked with some great woman and gained a few life long friends. The children I've worked with have left a huge impact on my life, I hope that I have positively impacted them as well. The curriculum is very well developed and targets all of the developmental areas for each age group.

Cons

When I accepted my offer to work at the Goddard School I was under the impression that I would be working the two year old age group. During my interview I expressed how much I loved working with this age group, I was told I would be working as a Flex staff teacher until a room opened up for me but I was hired as a Lead teacher. I later found out by other coworkers that Goddard rules state I must have a four degree to work with the two year old age group. This was very discouraging as I do not have a four year degree. When I finally got my own classroom it was with infants. At first I really enjoyed working with the infants, but it seemed like each session the age group got younger and the paper work became more and more.
    The pay was just not worth all the work, we were expected to work on some Saturdays and Sundays without extra pay. We were always told that these days were already included into our salaries. Overtime was not allowed and working past your scheduled time was "part of your responsibilities as a teacher".
    The owners of the school were always at the school however they never spoke to any of the staff unless they were doing a classroom tour for prospective parents. All that matters to them is filling up the school to capacity and collecting tuition. Working for this company killed my passion to work with young children. This is supposed to be a school that is taken into high regard, this is true if you are a parent and your child attends this school. However, if you are an employee you will quickly see that all that glitters isn't gold.

Appreciate your staff more, listen to their needs and concerns. Without teachers the school would not run.

The Goddard School Photos