The Goddard School

Be The First To
Add Photos

The Goddard School President & CEO Joe Schumacher

Joe Schumacher

Pros:
  • "Working with the children is great, and I am lucky to work at a center with some pretty great co-workers"
    in 6 reviews
  • "The families and children you get to meet"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "The amount of work you do as a Lead compared to the pay you get is not worth it"
    in 6 reviews
  • "I spent lots of time outside of work making my lesson plans but the Teacher just let the kids in our class free play all day"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great Practice

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPlace to get you experience in the education field.

ConsHigh staff turn over placement

Great potential, but needs to be more child-focused.

Director (Current Employee)

ProsFamilies are amazing. Teachers work hard and love working with children.

ConsOwners do not tend to have backgrounds in child development. This creates problems for directors and teachers because the philosophies and management styles that are typically used in centers are not well-received. Goddard tends to be more business-focused than child-focused. It is incredibly frustrating.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to opinions and feedback of teachers and directors. They are the professionals who have made a career of working with children, so they will have more knowledge on how to successfully run a center. I also would like to see owners be required to take college classes in child development and actually have to work in a classroom before they open a school. That could make all the difference.

Dont waste your time

ProsThe kids are super cute and some employees are nice

ConsThey round up your hours so you dont get the full amount you worked, their cheap and treat their employees like crap, if you have to use the restroom you have to wait like 20min, they dont pay enough for what they ask their teachers to do, theres a ton of gossip, all they care about is passing QA, and they let diseased kids come in all the time.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The Goddard School Olathe 2 is a terrible place for teachers!

Teacher (Current Employee)
    Olathe, KS

ProsThe best thing about working for The Goddard School is the freedom you have when planning curriculum. The budget for supplies is not much, but at least you have the ability to be creative. The children are very flexible with a variety of teachers, as there is not much consistency because of the high turnover rate.

ConsThe biggest con of Olathe 2 is the management! They are very rude and short with their staff. Most of the teachers are either afraid of losing their job at any given time and are too frightened to go to the management with problems or concerns. The turnover rate is very high. They demand perfection...with the QA score and in general. If you are not perfect, do not apply here!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice to management would be to treat their teachers with respect. Teaching preschool is one of the most stressful jobs out there. Have some empathy for what your teachers go through everyday. If it were not for them, you can not have a successful school.

Love the school and culture, difficult franchisee.

Director (Current Employee)

ProsGreat Educational philosophy, values and researched based curiculum goals. Great quality assurance standards.

ConsThose who have the means can become a Franchisee with no previous experience or education in childcare leaving very jaded, confused and difficult employers of these schools.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide enough administrative support for your staff and school and continually seek out accrediation

The Goddard School

Head Teacher (Current Employee)

ProsWorking with children and watching them graduate.

Cons.Need more field trips.to stimulate children

Great place to start career

Floater (Former Employee)
    Nashua, NH

ProsThe teachers really love working with the children and the children are fantastic. It's a really fun atmosphere and I looked forward to going to work everyday!

ConsI could have used more hours. I was a part time employee and I understand that the full time teachers need to be staffed first. However I found that many times my shift got cancelled due to low numbers. Eventually I got no hours and had to wait by the phone in the hopes that I might get called in. I understand that due to the current economy that many people took their kids out of day care. However, I got really upset having to constantly wait by the phone for days on end.

Advice to Senior ManagementI know that you have to staff full time teachers first. However, you could spread the part time hours out a little more. For example, there were three of us part timers there at the same time. You could have one on call one day a week and have the others on call two days a week and keep changing who got the one day. For example, Teacher 1 could be on call Monday and Tuesday. Teacher 2 could be on call Wednesday, and Teacher 3 could be on call Thursday and Friday. Teacher 2 in the meantime would be called in if a teacher called out and the other two were already working that day. Then they could rotate: Teacher 3 could be on call Monday and Tuesday next week, while Teacher 1 is on call Wednesday, and Teacher 2 could be on call Thursday and Friday. It's just a suggestion and you can modify it however you want but by setting the schedule up this way as opposed to scheduling just one or two part timers, it allows them to plan for what days they'll be in and it's easier to schedule other aspects of their lives.

Great Kids and Parents... TERRIBLE Management!!

Former Lead Teacher (Former Employee)
    Shawnee, KS

ProsThe children are great, you learn a lot from them. Classrooms are clean and sanitary. Parents give great gifts to show their appreciation. If I had children, I would love for them to go there. Its obvious how its a great place for children to go to school.

ConsThey don't allow you to call in even if you have worked there for many years and never call in. Directors and Owners are rude. You have to ask for a review/raise every year. Bosses talk to you like you are a child. Only a select few are offered benefits, like 2 out of 35 teachers. Company says they are helpful and there for you, but they are not ever. They care more about the paperwork and business side of things instead of taking care of the children. if something doesn't look up to par, they make you fix it. If you don't like doing lesson plans, this isn't the place for you. QA is terrible. They look for the most minute things. Its all about how things look all of the time. If you have a funeral to go to, you better believe you wont get to go. They also don't get you the supplies you need for the classroom. Director talks to fellow teachers about other teachers. Not professional. If you have a problem with a parent/child, the office makes you call the parent to resolve the issue while still having to watch a classroom full of children.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees better, appreciate them more! Tell them they are doing a good job. Give them perks! Treat others the way you want to be treated. Don't talk to them like a child. Offer ALL employees benefits, maybe they will stay longer! Have better communication, with EVERYONE!

Loves the kids, disliked the management.

Assistant Teacher (Current Employee)

ProsYou get to work with great teachers and wonderful kids and parents.

ConsHowever, this is a franchise so every school is going to have a little bit of a different management. And that is the issue here. The director is pretty rude to the employees and made the day to day much more stressful than it is needed.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive appreciation to your teachers. They are who are keeping the kids enrolled in the school.

This school is a JOKE!!!

Teacher (Former Employee)
    Pasadena, MD

ProsAll the teachers are amazing and truly love all the children and parents.

ConsThe owner doesn't know anything about children or education! The management is rude and careless about staff! As a teacher I felt like I had to act like I was walking on glass. The teacher turnover rate is unheard of! Management is all about quick fixes and putting on a front to make the situation seem better. They also don't allow the teachers to stay in md state law ratio because they don't keep enough teachers. The pay crappy too even if you have a degree!

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to treat your teachers with respect!

Worked for The Goddard School? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at The Goddard School reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for The Goddard School CEO Joe Schumacher. All 106 reviews posted anonymously by The Goddard School employees.