The Goddard School

Be The First To
Add Photos

The Goddard School President & CEO Joe Schumacher

Joe Schumacher

Pros:
  • "Working with the children is great, and I am lucky to work at a center with some pretty great co-workers"
    in 6 reviews
  • "The families and children you get to meet"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "large amount of work needs to be done off the clock to present the best program we can"
    in 5 reviews
  • "There is a very big turn over rate with teachers, most leave to take a job that is less stressful and/or pays more money"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Loves the kids, disliked the management.

Assistant Teacher (Current Employee)

I have been working at The Goddard School full-time for more than a year

ProsYou get to work with great teachers and wonderful kids and parents.

ConsHowever, this is a franchise so every school is going to have a little bit of a different management. And that is the issue here. The director is pretty rude to the employees and made the day to day much more stressful than it is needed.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive appreciation to your teachers. They are who are keeping the kids enrolled in the school.

Great place to work!

Teacher (Current Employee)
Bel Air, MD

I have been working at The Goddard School full-time for more than a year

ProsAwesome families who appreciate the teachers and everything we do.
Owners and Directors are fair and really care about us both personally and professionally.
Fun team building and outside activities. My co-workers have degrees and a ton of training...so I do not get the other reviews.
Insurance, benefits, compensation, etc. all good.

ConsPay....but I get that this is the whole industry and not just my school.
We have our accreditation so that means 24 plus training hours and most trainings are offered in the evening which makes for a long day especially with a family at home.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaking sure afternoon staff take care of the room they are in and clean up.
Find more subs

High quality preschool

Preschool Teacher (Former Employee)
Suffern, NY

I worked at The Goddard School full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe high quality expectations make for a better environment for the children and staff. The teachers are loving, nurturing and caring. They make learning fun.

ConsLong hours, low compensation.

Advice to Senior ManagementReview Compensation for employees

I stuck through it because I loved my kids but the Director of my school was terrible.

I worked at The Goddard School full-time for more than a year

Prosthe kids! which I guess should be an obvious reason. I loved my kids, I loved the age group, I loved how big our classroom was, I loved my co-workers; loved loved loved them, we were like one big family, we all got along and enjoyed working with each other

ConsOkay..where to start, the actual Goddard and State regulators that come to check up on the schools are actually very pleasant people but the owner of my particular school was something else entirely. First of all there was no "time clock" we had to write down what time we arrived and left everyday in a binder on a weekly paper that had our name on it..our school probably had over 30 employees and at the end of every week 2 people would go over EVERYONE'S sign in sheet to send into payroll so of course there were times when hours and pay didn't match up...simple solution..get a time clock!

Every year we were supposed to have a raise (if they thought we deserved one) and a discussion about how we were doing...well good luck with that. Unless you went up and asked for a raise or discussion, you didn't get one. There is also a LOT of favoritism. If you aren't one of the favorites forget about being treated like a human being. We, the staff, were actually told that if we needed to use the restroom we weren't allowed to ask another staff member to step into the room for a second (because in childcare you have to keep your room in ratio at all times, teacher-child ratio) we were told we HAD to wait for either the Assistant Director or Owner to come by and let us use the bathroom. So girls when your "time of the month" comes-a-calling and you gotta go right now or when the stomach flu hits, you better go buy some depends because you'll be waiting until someone is "available" to give you a bathroom break.

There aren't enough toys to rotate in and out of the classrooms, the kids get bored playing with the same stuff day in and day out, doing the same things day in and day out, even with a new lesson plan everyday, some of these kids are in your care for 12 hours!!! No matter how spectacular your lesson plan is 12 hours is a long day to have every second planned out..and feel free to go out and by your own toys, crafts, and games for the kids but expect to be spending most of your own money to by them which is fine if you're actually getting paid a decent amount of money but for the most part you're making somewhere around $10 an hour which isn't necessarily enough to support a family of 4 and supply your classroom with toys and such.

For the most part you will not be treated as an individual working at the Goddard School, the staff is treated as in-disposable, unless, like I stated earlier you're one of the favorites, there are a lot of negative comments and not enough positive praise coming from Management for all the hard work we do as Child Care workers/Teachers. I know that vomit, poop, sickness, biting, blood and boo-boos are all apart of working with children but treating your employees, who work their butts off everyday working 8am-6pm shifts, like they could be easily replaced isn't the way to go about a business. NO WONDER the Goddard School has such a high teacher turnover rate.

I will say the time I spent at Goddard I wouldn't take back or give up for anything. It taught me a lot about what I want to do with my future in terms of Teaching and I created a bond with a lot of women I wouldn't of met otherwise, I also loved the kids in my class, they kept me coming back everyday happy and proud to be so loved by kids that weren't even my own but in order to keep the good people around who will love the children at this school like their own children, Goddard really needs to work on APPRECIATION. We teach our kids to act a certain way and I believe some of the Owners of this school must have grown up and forgot one of the biggest rules of childhood.

If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. or at least try to do it without belittling everyone.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to treat employees like they actually matter.

Very confusing

Roswell, GA

I worked at The Goddard School full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat staff, wonderful kids, cool parents

ConsLow compensation for the workload, terrible management

Advice to Senior ManagementShow more appreciation to the teachers because they are the ones making the school go round; start by saying thank you at the end of the day. For the amount of work that is asked, between QA and state regulations, a raise is definitely needed AT LEAST once per year. Put more trust into the teachers and allow them to do their job and cut the micro-management out because that only makes everybody more stressed. I know that every school is different, but this particular Goddard has got to be the worst.

It sucks because you want to work there and teach and care for the kids, but management doesn't really want you too. The owner is clearly in it for the money and cares nothing for the school in general; employees, children, classrooms, etc. Children come and go, teachers come and go, it's just really pathetic. The owner doesn't even seem to care and she watches her business go down and does nothing but apply more pressure to the staff as if its our fault.

This particular owner charges $3 per catered lunch per child. Gets an order for let's say, 60 kids, purchases only 30 lunches (which is only half), divides 30 lunches to feed 60 kids, and pockets the rest. Very grimey and greedy. No raise or benefits for teachers, no appreciation, the playground is full of dirt with the worst equipment ever. They don't order supplies for our class; we have to purchase things ourselves and come back with a receipt and possibly get reimbursed in a timely manner. There are too many words I can use to describe how awful this school is. The only thing I can say is: STAY AWAY!!!!

Depending on location, can be a good school but they treat their teachers poorly

Cincinnati, OH

I worked at The Goddard School full-time for more than a year

ProsThe best reason to work at the Goddard school: the children (but isn't the best reason to teach anywhere?)
Another pro: our school was new so we had nice facilities and resources in our classrooms were nice

ConsTerrible ownership
Terrible benefits (5 vacation days! no 401k and expensive insurance)
Pay was unbelievably low- I couldn't even live off the $10/hr they paid me.
--Overall, this is a for-profit school, so owner treats it like a business and in the end, just wants to make money. Put as many kids in the classrooms as possible, pay the teachers as little as possible.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop treating this school like a business. The children should matter the most, which means stop shoving too many children in 1 room. The children lose out because the teachers can't divide their attention evenly! Most of all, listen to your employees - they are the ones in the classrooms every day.

nice, clean school

I worked at The Goddard School

ProsThe property is very nice, with great communities surrounding. The owners are a nice older couple.

ConsEmployment fluctuated all of the time. The previous coordinator of the school was terrible, but she was fired soon after I left.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind ways to keep your employees. Find out why the employment isn't stable.

Good school, but it really depends on the ownership on how well the kiddos and staff experience is there

Jamison, PA

I worked at The Goddard School full-time for less than a year

ProsKids and my co teacher were the only really good things about working there.

ConsHigh turn over rate. It depends on the owner of the school on how well your experience will be here.

Terrible!

Owasso, OK

I worked at The Goddard School full-time for less than a year

ProsIf The Goddard School is ran correctly it would be a great place to work and for the children to go to.

ConsWhen I worked there as a Lead Teacher the curriculum was not really followed or enforced by the other Teacher in my classroom. I spent lots of time outside of work making my lesson plans but the Teacher just let the kids in our class free play all day. It was more like a day care and this made the kids misbehave but they had no real consequences. Structure and classroom management were absent through out the center. Kids were bribed with stickers and small toys. The tuition is very high and the school promises many learning experiences and activities but they were all just for show at the particular location I worked at.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement/owners need to purchase quality/nutritious food for the children that PAY TUITION to go to this "school". Do not buy junk food in bulk from Sam's or serve "magic bread". There needs to be more training and orientation. The Owasso location needs to follow the companies values

Not happy but can't find another job

Teacher Assistant (Current Employee)
Old Bridge, NJ

I have been working at The Goddard School full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe only good reason to work at goddard is you don't have to work. At the goddard school I work at there are 4 teachers that do nothing all day every day. Nothing.

ConsOwner just doesn't care. We work for years without a raise insurence very very high, owners chooses to close the week between Christmas and New Years and we have to use our own vacation time. We are required to attend meetings and training without being paid , state and federal law is all hourly employees are to be payed. I could go on and on.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need a director that has no friends that work there.no emotional attachment and can run the school. And start to care for the kids more then the bottom line.

Worked for The Goddard School? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at The Goddard School reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for The Goddard School CEO Joe Schumacher. All 93 reviews posted anonymously by The Goddard School employees.