The Goddard School Reviews

Updated August 24, 2014

2.7

The Goddard School President & CEO Joe Schumacher
Joe Schumacher

Pros
  • Working with the children is great, and I am lucky to work at a center with some pretty great co-workers (in 5 reviews)

• Teachers work hard and are up to date in training (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • The amount of work you do as a Lead compared to the pay you get is not worth it (in 7 reviews)

• Lead teachers with a college degree still make less than (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Horrible Place to work.

Former Employee - Assistant Teacher  in  Florence, KY
    Former Employee - Assistant Teacher in Florence, KY

I worked at The Goddard School full-time for less than a year

Pros

There is no pros to working at this place what so ever. I would never recommend this as a place to work at.

Cons

When I went in for the interview I was told I would be working in a classroom with the age group of 24-36 months. I was excited, normally these children are out of diapers and have a good enough grasp on how school goes, they are also an age group were planning lessons was pretty simple and fun. The first day of working there they just threw me into a classroom. They had no idea when I arrived at 9am. where I would be aiding for the day. So they put me in a classroom of about 6 children (state standard for 1 teacher for this age group) and the age group was 15-24 months . I was alright with the change, it was not what I had expected but I could make it work. I was in there about for about 2 minutes when they brought in 3 more children from another classroom so the other classroom could make ratio. The lead teacher was very nice she hardly ever had a negative word to say.

Two days later I came in and found out they were going to put me with even younger children, 9-14 months. I was not happy at all by this change. The children were always crying, and they were unable to comprehend most of what was said to them. By my noon break I was very upset. This was not what I had agreed upon when I accepted this job. I went to my friends house on my break and cried because I was so upset over the change. He suggested I talk to the director and let her know that I was unhappy and I would like to be placed in an older age group. So as soon as I got back from break I went into her office and talked with her about being put with older children. She said that she would see what she could do but for the duration I was stuck where I was.

The next day I came in and she made a valiant attempt to put me in an older age group. The group she put me with were the 24-36 month group. Some were still potty training and a couple others had big kid panties on. I was so happy with this group. I automatically told them that I loved this group and would love to keep working with them.

Throughout the next week and half I was bounced from several different rooms, including the two rooms I hated, the infant room and the 9-14 month room. While I was in the 24-36 month room I did observe some peculiar and appalling things. The lead teacher would yell at children who went potty in their diapers, or big kid panties. She yelled at one little boy and began to cry and then she proceeded to tell him his daddy would be very mad at him and that he had to tell his father what he did when he came to pick him up. She also yelled at this sweet little girl and told the child that her mommy would not be happy to hear about her going potty in her panties.

For a school that does not believe in does not believe in discipline (time out) and only wants the teachers to use redirection, I saw several children sitting in time out. Also if a parent was coming in they would quickly have the child sitting in time out go play or stick a book in front of them to make it look as if the child was supposed to be reading. Also we were never supposed to force the children to participate in an activity they didn’t want to. However many of the teachers forced the children to sit in for their circle time, also would make the children play at centers that they didn’t want to be playing in. I would like to make it clear that I realize that children do need to be forced to do things they do not want to do. It is a part of life you must do things you do not want, however when a school has a policy they need to make sure their teachers are following the policy.

This school only seems to care about making state ratio. They shuffle children around from class to class to make sure they are always on ratio. Even if that means moving a child up into a class they are not supposed to be in. Towards the end of the day there was a lot of child shuffling going on so they could let teachers go home. I was scheduled 9am to 6pm every day. I left anywhere between 4:30-5:30 every day.

We were having a very bad winter this year and the road were very bad. I lived in a rural area where the roads were not touched by snow plows, so if it snowed and iced over night it was very dangerous for me to leave my home especially living on a hill. I called that morning and told them I would be coming in but it would be around noon. The assistant director was so nice and said that would be just fine. Later I texted the main director and told her I would be coming in and she responded saying there were not many children there so they didn’t need me to come in and to come in at 9am the next day. I was alright with that the roads were still bad so I didn’t want to chance wrecking my car for $8 an hr.

The next day I came in to find out that the girl in the 4 year old class was a no call no show and I would be taking her place. I was pretty excited by this because I really wanted to work with the older group. After 2 days of working with her I came in on Friday and expected to continue working with her. She told me that she was at ratio and didn’t need the help and to go ask the director if I would be needed somewhere else. There was a parent/relative job show going on in the Pre-K room so they didn’t really need me to do anything.

The director asked me to clean out the refrigerator since it hadn’t been done in a while. Then once that was done she had me clean the foyer. Finally the owner of the school and the director pulled me into a room and told me they were letting me go, because they wanted to hire me for the 9-14 month group and I didn’t wish to work with them. I told her that when I went in for the interview she told me different. She made no attempt to answer on why she did that.

Get your crap together, is my best advice. Realize what your employees are doing, because when the director is not around your employees are doing what they want.

Great place to work, great overall company

Former Employee - Assistant Teacher  in  Cumming, GA
    Former Employee - Assistant Teacher in Cumming, GA

I worked at The Goddard School full-time for less than a year

Pros

When I worked at this center, the management team was awesome, always appreciative and giving motivation to continue working hard. The other teachers were friendly and always willing to help. The center was a wonderful place to pull into everyday and I enjoyed going to work to see those beautiful kids' faces.

Cons

Could not find any cons when I was working there.

Keep on empowering and encouraging your team, they are what makes your center successful

The kids make the job worthwhile

Current Employee - Lead Teacher
    Current Employee - Lead Teacher

I have been working at The Goddard School full-time for more than a year

Pros

The children are easily the best part of this job, ability to write your own lesson plans based on monthly themes, friendly coworkers

Cons

Low pay, inconsistencies among management, problems discussed through memos sent out rather than addressed at meetings

Put yourself in your employees' shoes to see why people are dissatisfied with different things

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I greatly improved my communication skills because I deal with management, students, parents, and teachers every day.

Current Employee - Front Office Management
    Current Employee - Front Office Management

I have been working at The Goddard School full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I like working there because every day is different for me. I sometimes work in the office, do individual projects, visit classrooms, and visit other Goddard schools.

Cons

Nothing comes to my immediate attention.

Long hours & bad pay.

Former Employee - Assistant Teacher  in  Princeton, NJ
    Former Employee - Assistant Teacher in Princeton, NJ

I worked at The Goddard School full-time for less than a year

Pros

Strict procedures for keeping premises clean for children.
    Opportunities to advance in career.

Cons

Very low starting pay.
    Long hours.
    Was told if you are sick "you should do your best to still come in"
    Benefits don't kick in for a while & only for FT employees.

Take care of your employees & provide higher pay & less overworked & maybe you will have less of a turnover!

Teacher

Former Employee - Lead Teacher
    Former Employee - Lead Teacher

I worked at The Goddard School full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible when family issues came up and would always work with my schedule! They encouraged me to continue my education, and were willing to work with class schedules as well.

Cons

The parents were always right! As a preschool you are there to advise a parent as well as take care of their children. Sometime the parents were not correct but we catered to them anyway. That is hard a teacher, and even harder when you know that it is not what is best of the child or the whole class.

Wasted Time

Former Employee - Teacher
    Former Employee - Teacher

I worked at The Goddard School full-time for less than a year

Pros

What are the best things about Goddard? They have some paid holidays, decent Health Insurance, and the children and families are pretty great.

Cons

Basically, the owner cares more about having more money in her pocket then compensating teachers or putting more things in the classroom. Floaters and classroom get paid the same amount. With a Bachelors degree in Elementary and Early Childhood I earned about $10.25 an hour. What a joke!

They also over enroll. It is not a good idea to have so many children in each class-because regardless of schedule families can bring them anytime (regardless of numbers) because the families can do WHATEVER they want. Also, supervisors are not helpful in coaching or even answering questions.

Stop allowing so much gossip. Hire people who actually have experience, knowledge, or more than a very basic education. Also-stop only caring about rules when QA or State is coming. It should matter always or never to follow a rule.

The Goddard School of Arvada

Former Employee - Lead Teacher, Prekindergarten  in  Arvada, CO
    Former Employee - Lead Teacher, Prekindergarten in Arvada, CO

I worked at The Goddard School full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Opportunity to gain experience in the field of Early Childhood Education
    - Tuition reimbursement for degree, or support earning CDA
    - School is clean & health conscious
    - Classrooms are always provided with new furniture and needed learning materials. Broken items are replaced promptly
    - Curriculum Gift Card 3x a year

Cons

- More priority to running a "business" than a school.
    -Classrooms are over-enrolled, however ratio is maintained. Children are sent to neighboring classrooms for the day.
    - Sometimes favored unrealistic parent requests, opposed to supporting the greater good of the classroom
    - If opportunity to lesson plan/complete portfolios does night arise in the classroom, teachers are expected to do so during lunch break or personal time
    - Bathroom breaks were regularly skipped, late, or long wait time

Horrible Management

Former Employee - Lead Pre-School Teacher  in  Gilbert, AZ
    Former Employee - Lead Pre-School Teacher in Gilbert, AZ

I worked at The Goddard School full-time for less than a year

Pros

Employees really loved what they did

Cons

Management was uneducated about childcare and only money motivated

Care about the kids, the laws, and appreciate your workers

Worse Work Environment

Former Employee - Lead Pre-School Teacher  in  Gilbert, AZ
    Former Employee - Lead Pre-School Teacher in Gilbert, AZ

I worked at The Goddard School full-time for less than a year

Pros

Children can be a pain but if you generally love children like I do, you still end up loving them.

Cons

The whole system is BS. They want you to do A LOT of work but never give you time to do it so you end up having to take it home and do it with out pay. My break room was a closet! You are only allowed to drink water or you will be written up. A lot of stupid rules. They only care about looking good and selling to parents.

The children are young! They do not need to be taught 10 different things during a 2 hr period. There is not enough time for that and they can't handle it. The just need to play. Care about your employees!!! Don't just pay them $1 more than the assistants who don't have to do any work pertaining to lesson plans etc.

Worked for The Goddard School? Contribute to the Community!