The Goddard School

Be The First To
Add Photos

The Goddard School President & CEO Joe Schumacher

Joe Schumacher

Pros
  • Working with the children is great, and I am lucky to work at a center with some pretty great co-workers (in 5 reviews)

• Teachers work hard and are up to date in training (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • The amount of work you do as a Lead compared to the pay you get is not worth it (in 7 reviews)

• Lead teachers with a college degree still make less than (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to start career

Floater (Former Employee) Nashua, NH

ProsThe teachers really love working with the children and the children are fantastic. It's a really fun atmosphere and I looked forward to going to work everyday!

ConsI could have used more hours. I was a part time employee and I understand that the full time teachers need to be staffed first. However I found that many times my shift got cancelled due to low numbers. Eventually I got no hours and had to wait by the phone in the hopes that I might get called in. I understand that due to the current economy that many people took their kids out of day care. However, I got really upset having to constantly wait by the phone for days on end.

Advice to Senior ManagementI know that you have to staff full time teachers first. However, you could spread the part time hours out a little more. For example, there were three of us part timers there at the same time. You could have one on call one day a week and have the others on call two days a week and keep changing who got the one day. For example, Teacher 1 could be on call Monday and Tuesday. Teacher 2 could be on call Wednesday, and Teacher 3 could be on call Thursday and Friday. Teacher 2 in the meantime would be called in if a teacher called out and the other two were already working that day. Then they could rotate: Teacher 3 could be on call Monday and Tuesday next week, while Teacher 1 is on call Wednesday, and Teacher 2 could be on call Thursday and Friday. It's just a suggestion and you can modify it however you want but by setting the schedule up this way as opposed to scheduling just one or two part timers, it allows them to plan for what days they'll be in and it's easier to schedule other aspects of their lives.

Great Kids and Parents... TERRIBLE Management!!

Former Lead Teacher (Former Employee) Shawnee, KS

ProsThe children are great, you learn a lot from them. Classrooms are clean and sanitary. Parents give great gifts to show their appreciation. If I had children, I would love for them to go there. Its obvious how its a great place for children to go to school.

ConsThey don't allow you to call in even if you have worked there for many years and never call in. Directors and Owners are rude. You have to ask for a review/raise every year. Bosses talk to you like you are a child. Only a select few are offered benefits, like 2 out of 35 teachers. Company says they are helpful and there for you, but they are not ever. They care more about the paperwork and business side of things instead of taking care of the children. if something doesn't look up to par, they make you fix it. If you don't like doing lesson plans, this isn't the place for you. QA is terrible. They look for the most minute things. Its all about how things look all of the time. If you have a funeral to go to, you better believe you wont get to go. They also don't get you the supplies you need for the classroom. Director talks to fellow teachers about other teachers. Not professional. If you have a problem with a parent/child, the office makes you call the parent to resolve the issue while still having to watch a classroom full of children.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees better, appreciate them more! Tell them they are doing a good job. Give them perks! Treat others the way you want to be treated. Don't talk to them like a child. Offer ALL employees benefits, maybe they will stay longer! Have better communication, with EVERYONE!

Terrible experience, the children were the only thing that kept me going.

Co-Lead Teacher (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsAmazing kids and families, friendly co-workers, steady hours. After spending 40 hours a week with the same kids, it's very easy to become attached and form strong bonds with the kids and their families. The families were definitely very grateful for the effort and care that the teachers put into their jobs. Co-workers were all very friendly, although it was hard to get to know other teachers unless they were with similar age groups or your classrooms were close to each other. As a co-lead teacher I was guaranteed 40 hours a week, so a steady paycheck was nice.

ConsVery low pay. For a full-time teaching position the pay was awful, I could easily make 2-3 times as much waiting tables. They offered to give me a 40cent raise when I graduated with a 4-year degree, I had to laugh at that! The owner was never on site, which left the director to run the school on her own. I actually saw the owner's family at the school more than the owner himself. The extremely overloaded director was very demeaning and often spoke to employees about other employees in very negative ways. Made for a toxic work environment. There was no time given to teachers to write 2 weeks worth of very tedious lesson plans every week, and I always had to use my lunch break or evenings at home to finish the work. Also, no stipends were given to pay for class decorations (which had to be updated every month, another thing that no had to be done during lunch or after we clocked out) or materials for lesson plans. Children were juggled from classroom to classroom to try to fit ratios, families were being lied to, and teachers were regularly forced work out of ratio. It was very sad for me to see that such great families were paying so much in tuition, but being kept in the dark about what kind of environment they left their kids in for 8 hours a day.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue, respect, and be supportive of your employees. They are the ones that spend every single minute with the kids, and they are the ones delivering the care and education that keep a preschool/daycare going.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Loves the kids, disliked the management.

Assistant Teacher (Current Employee)

ProsYou get to work with great teachers and wonderful kids and parents.

ConsHowever, this is a franchise so every school is going to have a little bit of a different management. And that is the issue here. The director is pretty rude to the employees and made the day to day much more stressful than it is needed.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive appreciation to your teachers. They are who are keeping the kids enrolled in the school.

Great place to work!

Teacher (Current Employee) Bel Air, MD

ProsAwesome families who appreciate the teachers and everything we do.
    Owners and Directors are fair and really care about us both personally and professionally.
    Fun team building and outside activities. My co-workers have degrees and a ton of training...so I do not get the other reviews.
    Insurance, benefits, compensation, etc. all good.

ConsPay....but I get that this is the whole industry and not just my school.
    We have our accreditation so that means 24 plus training hours and most trainings are offered in the evening which makes for a long day especially with a family at home.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaking sure afternoon staff take care of the room they are in and clean up.
    Find more subs

This school is a JOKE!!!

Teacher (Former Employee) Pasadena, MD

ProsAll the teachers are amazing and truly love all the children and parents.

ConsThe owner doesn't know anything about children or education! The management is rude and careless about staff! As a teacher I felt like I had to act like I was walking on glass. The teacher turnover rate is unheard of! Management is all about quick fixes and putting on a front to make the situation seem better. They also don't allow the teachers to stay in md state law ratio because they don't keep enough teachers. The pay crappy too even if you have a degree!

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to treat your teachers with respect!

Overworked Underappriciated

Assistant Teacher (Current Employee)

ProsVery clean and high-quality school.
    Wonderful supportive parents.
    Hugs and kisses from children.

ConsWay too much paperwork for all teachers including infant and toddler classes. No time is given for teachers to do the insane amount of work they have to do except when the children nap and children don't always nap. Fairly low pay in comparison to the amount of work expected. Unorganized management who does not respect teachers. This is an extremely high stress job and I feel that the management should have been more helpful to the teachers and assistants. There was quite a high turnover during the period that I was there.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive more support to teachers and assistance. Appreciate your Staff more.
    Do not involve yourself in gossip or office favoritism.
    Be more organized in your schedule so the teachers know what to expect as far as breaks etc. Be in your office more so that teachers who call the office will get a response.

Stressful...

Lead Teacher (Current Employee) Cleveland, OH

ProsThe kids of course, staff is pretty friendly. Decent hours, and always get 40 hours per week.

ConsLead Teachers have A TON of work to do and do not always get the support they need to do it. Benefits are terrible and "QA" is ridiculous.

Very confusing

Lead Teacher (Former Employee) Roswell, GA

ProsGreat staff, wonderful kids, cool parents

ConsLow compensation for the workload, terrible management

Advice to Senior ManagementShow more appreciation to the teachers because they are the ones making the school go round; start by saying thank you at the end of the day. For the amount of work that is asked, between QA and state regulations, a raise is definitely needed AT LEAST once per year. Put more trust into the teachers and allow them to do their job and cut the micro-management out because that only makes everybody more stressed. I know that every school is different, but this particular Goddard has got to be the worst.

It sucks because you want to work there and teach and care for the kids, but management doesn't really want you too. The owner is clearly in it for the money and cares nothing for the school in general; employees, children, classrooms, etc. Children come and go, teachers come and go, it's just really pathetic. The owner doesn't even seem to care and she watches her business go down and does nothing but apply more pressure to the staff as if its our fault.

This particular owner charges $3 per catered lunch per child. Gets an order for let's say, 60 kids, purchases only 30 lunches (which is only half), divides 30 lunches to feed 60 kids, and pockets the rest. Very grimey and greedy. No raise or benefits for teachers, no appreciation, the playground is full of dirt with the worst equipment ever. They don't order supplies for our class; we have to purchase things ourselves and come back with a receipt and possibly get reimbursed in a timely manner. There are too many words I can use to describe how awful this school is. The only thing I can say is: STAY AWAY!!!!

High quality preschool

Preschool Teacher (Former Employee) Suffern, NY

ProsThe high quality expectations make for a better environment for the children and staff. The teachers are loving, nurturing and caring. They make learning fun.

ConsLong hours, low compensation.

Advice to Senior ManagementReview Compensation for employees

Worked for The Goddard School? Contribute to the Community!