The Great Estate Roadshow (GERS)

www.greatestateroadshow.com

The Great Estate Roadshow (GERS) Reviews

Be The First To
Add Photos

Not yet rated.

Scott Garber

You won't ever miss work

Traveling Buyer (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsFree travel all over the US, great coworkers, fun internal environment and competition, great memories, you get to see cool stuff! This is one of the most amazing jobs and opportunities. I worked for just at a year and quit to pursue another higher paying job and sometimes regret it. I travelled to about 15 new states during my time, you fly every week, and I look back and this was one of the happiest times of my life! Work hours are 10-6 Mon - Sat and I never struggled to get up and go to work--it didn't feel like work!

Conslayoffs at times, cumbersome kits to travel with, things do change often, sometimes there is internal drama and people lying on each other. There's also work relationships that turn stupid when people don't practice a life of dignity and honor.

Advice to Senior ManagementExpand!

Unorganized and dishonest company with dishonest owners

Traveling Buyer (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsYou get to travel and you get decent pay

ConsYou are forced to embelish and lie to customers.
    Very un organized internally.
    Old school/cheap way of communicating.
    HR department very unprofessional.
    No job security.

Before I took the job I asked the recruiter and HR about the stability of the position. They informed me that it was a very stable job and there was no chance of them down sizing as they were a growing company. i quit my old job and joined GERS. I went to training for a couple of weeks in Georgia where the trainers are not actual trainers. One was actually a previous construction worker and middle school football coach. They were learning as they trained us. Once training was complete I acually got to work the job for about 3 weeks.

The week of Christmas I recieved a call with about 85% of my training class. The call was to Lay us off. We were given no real explanation other than the company wasn't doing as well as they thought. We were told to send back the collateral that they had given us in order to recieve a final check. I did so and never heard from them again.

On the job I was forced to lie to people about gold, silver, and diamond prices. We were also told to tell people we WOULD NOT MELT DOWN THEIR JEWELRY OR VALUABLES FOR THE METAL CONTENT. This was the biggest lie of all. 99% of the things purchased are melted down.

Bottom line, this is a very bad company to get involved with.

Enjoyed my job, made decent money, got to sell some really cool antiques

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsIf you enjoy the history behind the items you're seeing every day, you will find this a fulfilling job. The pay was decent, there were lots of little company functions and lunches.

ConsIt seems as though this company may be on the decline. I'm afraid the antique, precious metals and currency buying industry bubble has burst, and there has been some really bad publicity of similar companies recently, which customers unfortunately project onto this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain the buyers better. Leave more room for profit when selling items. Not everything is worth buying.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

They eliminate people during training process for no reason, was not aware of this before I took the job.

Traveling Buyer (Trainee) (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsYou can learn a great deal about an industry many are not aware of, live in hotels, and meet new people. I met some really great people that I would not have met otherwise. But now I have no job!
    If you can afford to take the risk by all means try it, but if remember this could be a major risk! I wish that there were reviews about GERS before I left my job for what I though was an opportunity of a lifetime. :’(

ConsTrainers are impatient and can not handle large classes; they only want about 50% of the people they put in training class so they are planning of getting rid of people from the very beginning. But none of us was told this during interview. I was specifically told by recruiter that he had only seen one person not make it through training due to lack of computer knowledge. But when we got to class we were told stories by trainers that they’ve had classes start out at 22 and narrowed down to 10 by the end of training. So just beware that they look for any little thing to start building a case against you and use as a reason to get rid of you. Some hint’s, be bubbly, smile a lot, and get along with roommate and other people in training class even if you have to pretend the whole time. Bring your own laptop for personal use. (Wasn’t my issue but was the reason someone else was released) The point is they aren’t looking for the good just the bad. They don’t care that you’re excellent at what the business calls for. They told me that i did not smile, and sent me on my way.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet professional Trainers. Conduct training in the city you are searching buyers for instead of flying us 800 miles away from home just to send us back and make us pay for our own checked bags. Let people know during interview that getting a job offer and invite to training does not mean that mean that you have a good chance of actually getting the job. Process new hire paperwork before people get to training.

A GREAT place to work for go-getters who care and are loyal

Road Buyer/Manager (Current Employee)

ProsThere are a lot of "Cash for Gold" companies out there, but GERS is SO much more than that. We get to buy all kinds of interesting and unique products. The owners are 100% involved in everything without micro-managing. Plus, I get to work with some of the best people I have ever met.
    This company has an A rating with the BBB and they strive to be fair, honest, and informative towards each and every customer.
    As an employee, I have never felt so protected and trusted and respected by an employer as I do with Howard and his team at the Great Estate Roadshow.
    Employment at GERS is not for everyone, however. They only select the best of the best to go out on the road; but this is because they need to be able to trust the people they send out to represent the company in the best possible way. This is a job where you need to be accountable to your own morality. I mean, would you give just anybody a checkbook and a rental car and send them out where you can't oversee them at all times? Of course not.
    But succeeding at GERS assures that you are a superstar. And you feel that way too!
    This job is not for people who just want "a job-any job". GERS is a place for sales and management professionals who want to be a part of a great company that is not so "corporate" that they can't see/appreciate those who help them to be a better company.
    If you want to get in on the ground-floor of a great company and succeed there; then you must insure that that company succeeds as well. And that is on your shoulders as much as there's.
     In summation, if you are looking for a great company that will give you mutual support and respect, and if you are not afraid of a little hard work or being a team player (this is VERY much a TEAM-oriented job), then GERS is the place to be. They will notice the efforts you put in and you WILL be rewarded for them.

ConsA lot of travel. If you are the kind of person who likes to be at home, this is not a job for you. Also, if you cannot deal with unexpected bumps in the road and make quick and logical decisions to overcome them, then this is not for you either.
    You will travel 3 out of 4 weeks per month and you may not know where you are going to next until a few days beforehand.
    Also, since you are out on the road, things may come up which you need to deal with on an ad hoc basis. If you are easily flustered or do not function well in unexpected situations, this is not for you. Also, you need to be extremely organized and responsible. Sales skills are a must and any leadership skills will help you to advance. Team-oriented job. If you don't like to meet new people, learn and research things on your own, or close sales - not for you.
    But, if you like to learn new things and if like to work hard and travel and explore new places with the excellent and fun co-workers you will meet; this is a great opportunity. One you will rarely find in today's "Corporate-centric" America.

Advice to Senior ManagementA leader is a person who understands that the cultivation of their people is their largest asset in terms of success for their company. I feel that everybody who works here agrees on that. If we all work towards the same goal and we are all equally supportive and respectful towards each other and our ideas; then we cannot possibly fail.

Worked for The Great Estate Roadshow (GERS)? Contribute to the Community!