The HON Company Reviews

3.2

Jerry Dittmer

Midwest office

I have been working at The HON Company

Pros

Friendly coworkers, opportunity for growth & profit sharing

Cons

Waiting for your 1st profit sharing, getting respect at lower levels

Good and Bad

I have been working at The HON Company full-time

Pros

Mid-sized company with several plants throughout the US (also a few abroad). This means it has a large network of professionals to draw knowledge and experience from. Benefits package and salaries are fair.

Cons

Management is a mixed bag of competent and inept. Sometimes difficult to get things done due to corporate hierarchy and inner-company politics.

Listen to your employees and maintain accountability at all levels.

Could be better

Current Employee - Engineering  in  Muscatine, IA
    Current Employee - Engineering in Muscatine, IA

I have been working at The HON Company full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The people that work here are a major pro. The culture of the engineering group is relaxed and friendly - as long as you're able to get your work done, things are good. The compensation seems appropriate for the area.

Cons

The vacation policy is unfortunate, so negotiate for more up-front. Personal growth is difficult to achieve, unless your vision matches the company's. Upper management does not carry the same goals across departments, so your priorities and projects can change from one week to the next, depending on which wheel is the squeakiest.

Pay more attention to your employees and their career development. Give credit where it's due.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Favoritism

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chester, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chester, VA

I worked at The HON Company full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good medical benefits and compensation.

Cons

Shows favoritsm. Different set of rules for different members. Long term member have to be extremely careful what they say and what they do. After 24 yrs,11mos, my position was eliminated. Although I was the most senior member of the department by many yrs and I could do all jobs within the department, my position was elimated and I was out of a job.

Pay more attention to the more senior members. Instead of eliminating positions of long term members, eliminate the less senior members and move the more senior person into that position. Do not continue to make your senior members feel so unimportant. Make seniority count again like it did in the past.

Good company, great people, tough management

I have been working at The HON Company

Pros

- Great team members nationwide
    - Everyone on the team is very supportive of each other
    - Company has great goals and ways to achieve those goals

Cons

- Stressful job (can be stressful industry overall)
    - Management has high expectations
    - Customers have high expectations
    - Can have lots of drive time/travel time

I've been with The HON Company for five years in various positions.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Muscatine, IA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Muscatine, IA

I have been working at The HON Company full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great benefits (medical, dental, tuition reimbursement) at an OK cost
    Fair pay (semi-annual review with possible annual increase)
    Opportunity for advancement with HON or at multiple sister companys (all owned by HNI)

Cons

Some in higher Management micro manage or fail to control their temper
    Constant change - had 9 managers in 5 years
    Business cycle not properly staffed which puts pressure and extensive time committments on all employees

Long term members beware.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chester, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chester, VA

I worked at The HON Company full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

When I first began at the HON Company, it was a great place to work. We were like a big family. Good pay, great vacation plan, great insurance, personable management, opportunity for advancement, and good educational re-embursement program.

Cons

Company lost interest in the members and started looking at the bottom line only. Started promoting members that did not have leadership skills. Promotions were granted based on friendships instead of merit or ability to lead. I was personally terminated unfairly ( supervisor did not like me ) 45 days before reaching my 25 year anniversary. I always received above average reviews and all of a sudden I did not know how to do my job. Beware of back stabbers.

Investigate personnel situations closer especially when it concerns your long term members. Have more competent supervisors and group leaders. Make sure they know the job that they are supervising and that they have people skills.

Disappointing

Former Employee - Territory Sales Manager  in  San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Territory Sales Manager in San Jose, CA

I worked at The HON Company full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Brand recognition and the young vibrant sales force coming into the company.

Cons

It's a great company to get experience after college but long term the opportunities are limited and the compensation is lower than its competitors. I have seen a lot of great talent come in to the company only to lose their vibrant initiative and ideas to small minded thinking and small town peer pressure. Living in Muscatine Iowa is a wonderful place to raise a family and the people are nice but unfortunately the company has lost site of its roots while trying to compete with the big dogs in the industry. But HON falls short in every way...the company treats many of its employees like lab rats, the pay is low, they have great difficulty retaining good talent, and they have little respect for senior employees. In fact, they got rid of some of the best talent in the industry in recent lay offs. Long term I see HON surviving but their reputation on the street with dealers and customers is increasingly negative and many of their former strong dealer partners are moonlighting other product lines and keeping HON at arms length only when they need them. Its sad to see a once great company lose its values and integrity.

The energy of the company is stagnant and there are more disgruntled employees than I believe upper management is aware of. The future is in the youth but you will never get to the future by sacrificing and ignoring your seasoned employees. There are many fearful employees at HON young and old, and many will jump ship at first chance. You need to look at incentive plans, better training and mentoring not programs that look good on paper but actual programs that are nurturing and empowering. Most employees desire to do a great job but when you stifle their talents, turn the other way when their ideas are complex, and give them little to no support and sometimes counterproductive support, then you end up where you are, low sales, tired sales force, and disgruntled employees.

Great place to work

Former Employee - CNC Machine Operator  in  Florence, AL
    Former Employee - CNC Machine Operator in Florence, AL

I worked at The HON Company

Pros

good pay, advancement opportunities, good benefits,

Cons

bad no fault attendance policy

change your attendance policy

The HON Company is a great place to launch and build a career that is as exciting and solid as our products.

Current Employee - Sales Leadership Development Program  in  Muscatine, IA
    Current Employee - Sales Leadership Development Program in Muscatine, IA

I have been working at The HON Company

Pros

The Sales Leadership Development Program is designed to build your capabilities to succeed in a territory management role within 24 months. (Business Development Manager)

Once you prove your capabilities as Business Development Manager, it is up to you to decide your career path. Many will stay in a sales role while others may pursue their passions in marketing, product management.

For the first 24 months (or less) you will be located at The HON Company's corporate HQ in Muscatine, Iowa. HON is about 2.5 hours west of Chicago Illinois.

Cons

Relocation is typically expected. You may not get to go to your dream market initially. Many choose to be promoted to markets they are comfortable with short term and may to position themselves for promotion to their favored market at a later time based on performance.

Worked for The HON Company? Contribute to the Community!