The Hackett Group
www.thehackettgroup.com Miami, FL 500 to 999 Employees

The Hackett Group Reviews

Updated Apr 11, 2014
The Hackett Group – US – “The Hackett Group”

The Hackett Group Chairman and CEO Ted A. Fernandez

Ted A. Fernandez

Pros:
  • "I could work from home if needed"
    in 5 reviews
  • "good work experience in terms of exposure to methods, approaches and best practices"
    in 5 reviews
Cons:
  • "Challenging given work ethic to manage the work life balance"
    in 3 reviews
  • "No support from Senior Management, lacking vision, bad benefits"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Disappointed and misleading the market

I have been working at The Hackett Group

ProsMoney and travel as well as being able to work at many different companies. These were the best things since the work was always challenging. Sometimes there were many different initiatives going on with one client which kept the engagements interesting. For senior people, there are always good challenges dealing with clients and client matters. The internal tools were fairly good for keeping in touch with colleagues in the company and the internal communications about new benchmarking information, a Hackett hallmark, were frequent which kept up a consistent information flow from certain people. Benchmarking is a strength of Hackett without question.

ConsTime away from home and uncertainty about where you stand as well as inability of some to participate in selling opportunities.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate better with all employees especially ones that are supposedly senior in the organization

Whoops! There goes another unhappy employee!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at The Hackett Group

ProsIndependence with moderate supervision by management.

ConsManagement says one thing and practices another. Does not back up announced changes in procedures after indicating that this is the policy going forward across the board.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet on the same page!

No one's job is safe

Senior Consultant (Former Employee)

I worked at The Hackett Group

ProsThey will hand a project over to you and trust you to handle things. They are more open to sending employees to training classes than other employers. In general this company doesn't get too hung up on expense costs.

ConsThey are reluctant to approve vacation days, and this is too bad because there is a use it or lose it policy. The benefits plan is weak. There is a bonus plan, but the details of it are murky. Basically it is up to your manager.
It takes a little time to get up to speed on internal company procedures. There is supposedly a mentor system, but in reality you are on your own.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't treat employees as replaceable cogs in the machine to hire and lay off as the business cycle goes up and down.

Good place to work, but requires focus

Director (Former Employee)
Los Angeles, CA

I worked at The Hackett Group

ProsKnowledge Management Process is very good.Fact based approach towards consulting around how to improve companies business metrics is something I enjoyed. I also found that there is pretty good talent in the ranks, it is just hard sometimes to find it. Also, communications within the company can be somewhat terse.

ConsTravel can constrain your personal lifestyle. ALso, some of the people who I worked with seemed to be quite arrogant. Fpr someone coming from industry, the shift to a consultant mindset can be a real challenge. I am not sure everyone will be successful in this company. It requires hard work.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink geography.

If you're mediocre, come work for this company.

Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at The Hackett Group

ProsName of the company and someplace to cut your teeth.

ConsHeartless with sleazy management. Unimpressive talent across the board and unimpressive talent management.

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect your employees and their abilities rather than only watching the bottom line.

Be Very Carefult!!!!!

Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at The Hackett Group

ProsWork life Balance with the abiilty to work from home at least 2 to 3 days out of the week. They have absolutely no problem with associates or consultant working from home.

ConsLack of communication from management. There is no real structure on how they actually develop their consultants other than giving the generic "her or she is not ready". They will continue to use your services but fail to provide adequater bonuses or pay to coincide with the extra work. They have failed to properly gernerate a talent management system to help their associates and consultants develop. Needs stronger managment starting with the C-suite.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate to employer regarding talent management and training.

Lots of unrealized potential

Advisor (Former Employee)

I worked at The Hackett Group

ProsUnique company with an interesting value proposition. Offers careers that are hard to find elsewhere. Attractive to consultants who want to travel less (except in their traditional consulting division--those people are road warriors.) Very talented people. Data and information that would be second to none if maintained.

ConsManagement crafts its offerings with only its point of view in mind. Programs are faltering as a result. Investments in infrastructure have been minimal, so the basics don't get done well. It is difficult to do your job. Many good people have been let go unceremoniously. Those who remain are overworked and many are underpaid.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink about the buyer's interests.

accurate info

I have been working at The Hackett Group

Prosgood salary, yearly company get togethers. interesting projects

Consno growth at professional level. they have senior directors managing projects instead of managers/directors. more sr. directors than managers or consultants.

Advice to Senior Managementhave sr. directors work on sales and let managers and directors work on managing projects this way everybody gets to grow.

Stay away.

Director (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at The Hackett Group

ProsSome good clients. Potential to learn.

ConsMorale. Management lines their pockets at the expense of the workers. Lack of strategy. The hackett group is the vestigial organ of what was once known as "Answerthink" That, probably the worst business name in history, said a lot about the way the company would shoot before they aimed, talked before they thought about it. Now all they are is a small, sad integrator with a benchmarks database.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on what we can do - and sell.

Hackett experience is valued more at its competition than in the company itself.

Consulting Senior Director (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL

I have been working at The Hackett Group

ProsIts a great resume builder because of it standard methodology when approaching a project. The highly experienced consultants collaborate very well, which assists individuals in building a solid foundation when moving to another firm or back to industry.

ConsThere is no career path in the organization. Hackett only hires experienced staff in its consulting practice, making it very difficult for someone to demonstrate leadership. Additionally, because its a public company they are driven by the market short sighted perspective rather than by investing and developing relations with its customer base which pay-off in the long term.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider moving the company to a partnership. Fees are high but wealth generation for the staff are very low, the project bonus program is a joke.

Worked for The Hackett Group? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at The Hackett Group reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for The Hackett Group CEO Ted A. Fernandez. All 78 reviews posted anonymously by The Hackett Group employees.