The Hackett Group

Updated August 20, 2014
3.1

The Hackett Group Chairman and CEO Ted A. Fernandez
Ted A. Fernandez

Pros
  • I could work from home if needed (in 5 reviews)

• good work experience in terms of exposure to methods, approaches and best practices (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • No support from Senior Management, lacking vision, bad benefits (in 5 reviews)

• Challenging given work ethic to manage the work life balance (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Wonderful place to work and grow

Current Employee - Manager  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at The Hackett Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

I have been with the company for two years now. Great people for the most part, smart and reasonable.

Cons

Like any consulting job, you will have challenges, tough clients and difficult collegues to work with at times. But it is what you make of it.

The Hackett Group baited me with a great job description and then switched it into a role that I had no interest in.

Current Employee - Infrastructure Administrative  in  Conshohocken, PA
    Current Employee - Infrastructure Administrative in Conshohocken, PA

I have been working at The Hackett Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

There were free snacks

Cons

No work/life balance. Employees in my office were treated like slaves. My direct supervisor was a passive aggressive person who would send me IMs from his desk 10 feet away instead of talking to me like a normal person.

Rampant nepotism, typical oppressive corporate environment

Former Employee - Infrastructure Administrator  in  Conshohocken, PA
    Former Employee - Infrastructure Administrator in Conshohocken, PA

I worked at The Hackett Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

My peers were smart, talented, hardworking individuals.

Cons

Oppressive micro-management regime
    Duties were not as described in interview/offer
    Ever changing job description
    Not a forward thinking organization
    Horrible work/life balance
    More like a slave than employee
    Management has no respect for subordinates or peers
    Sub-par benefits package
    Don't expect a raise... ever.

When things are constantly broken, look at who is running the department

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

consistent exploitation of employees

I worked at The Hackett Group

Pros

it was a paycheck - no more

Cons

short term outlook for managing the business is driven by upper mgt looking to cash out as driving force behind the company strategy - leads to consistent short term policies and no interest in retention of staff, customers or long term good will of either.

sell out soon

Not good for Go getters

Former Employee - EPM Manager  in  Miami, FL
    Former Employee - EPM Manager in Miami, FL

I worked at The Hackett Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Work at home for Admin hours

Cons

Senior Management, unethical , not supportable of employees

Review policies and procedures for upper management..

Can't get out of its own way

Former Employee - Consulting Manager
    Former Employee - Consulting Manager

I worked at The Hackett Group full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The concept behind a full service solution makes for a great sales pitch. The compensation is above average.

Cons

Constant turnover. Bottom line and quarterly results drive most decisions which leads to employees always worrying about if they'll keep their jobs. Your fate has less to do with your capability and more about billing.

Share the wealth. Senior management seems to be filling their pockets while leaving the "little people" behind.

Low pressure, low expectations, slow career progression, no leadership

Former Employee - Senior Consultant  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at The Hackett Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Note: I work in Strategy and Operations.

At the director and below level, THG is the *perfect* place to hide and collect a paycheck. Expectations are low. Management occasionally acts like things are important, but the reality is that they don't enforce any of their expectations on anybody, themselves included. It's very easy to simply hide and not do very much work. Bad workers are mostly shuffled around, not dealt with.

At the principal level, THG is awesome for executives looking to cruise. No one will get in your wheelhouse, you can build your own little practice and not be bothered. It's easy to grab consultants and managers on a semi-permanent basis and shift them from project to project. Any attempts to create a concerted strategy and make all principals move in the same direction is broadly ignored. If you're bad, you likely won't get fired for a few years if you can't sell. There was a principal who couldn't sell and still managed to last 3-4 years at the level before getting pushed out.

All in, THG is a great place to cruise under the radar. The pay is about average for the market with small annual raises and decent bonuses (4-7%).

Cons

Note: Again, I work in S&O

Strategy is a concept that partners sell to clients, not that they practice. Each partner runs their own fiefdom, with very little coordination and cross-selling (except among partners that jointly sell). After coming from a very well run consultancy, THG looks amateurish.

From a career growth perspective, processes are broken. Promotion decisions are largely based on seniority via an opaque process with no published seniority guidelines. Expect 2-3 years to get to Sr. Consultant, 3-4 years to get to Manger, 4-5 to Director, and another 4-5 plus hitting some sales targets (again, not communicated) to get to partner. The evaluation process they use is ignored. Resources who consistently exceed expectations are expected to wait until they hit the right number of years at level before being promoted, while resources who hit seniority but are seen as punching below their weight are still promoted.

From a variety of work perspective, it's very easy to get grabbed by a partner and only do a single type of work for years on end. A very well regarded consultant with a lot of tenure quit because he had been working for the same partner at the same client for over 2 years without being given the opportunity to work elsewhere despite having asked repeatedly for different work after 6 months.

I guess I should say that training and intracompany programs are sub-par, but that should be obvious by now. You also shouldn't be surprised that the travel and expense policy is roundly ignored, people travel under other company's rates, and a "the rules apply to you but not to me" syndrome exists.

Clean up the career growth trajectory, formalize or get rid of tenure requirements for promotion. Give up the pretense of having a strategy and allow partners to build their own little fiefdoms. Institute hard stops at 6 months whereby consultants must switch clients and partners.

Overall, a good experience

I worked at The Hackett Group for more than 5 years

Pros

I had a great boss that was respectful and gave me a lot of autonomy in how I did my job. I could work from home if needed. Good, smart co-workers. People were not hung up on titles like they are at some consulting firms.

Cons

Weak C-level leadership. Basically no opportunities for community service. Company does good work but many people have never heard of them.

Get involved in the community - it will get your name out there more and it is the right thing to do.

Hackett is a great place to be if you care about working with top notch talent and delivering real value to clients.

Current Employee - Solutions Director  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Solutions Director in Chicago, IL

I have been working at The Hackett Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Broad and deep bench of talent & experience across all practice areas, high quality content, robust, quantitative data regarding how best practices correlate with performance in business support functions, strong competitive differentiation, a clear focus on client results, and a supportive culture.

Cons

Like most consulting companies, delivery resources typically work remotely and are often on site with clients, so it takes a little time to meet people and establish internal relationships.

I'm returning to Hackett after a number of years elsewhere, and the expansion of practice areas and capabilities along with an increased focus on providing solutions rather than services made the idea of coming back all the more compelling.

A Train Wreck

Former Employee - Business Development Associate  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Business Development Associate in Atlanta, GA

I worked at The Hackett Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Some fairly intelligent people, but not enough of them.

Cons

The CEO and COO are very arrogant, focused only on themselves. Poor decision making processes, internally, as well as acquisitions. Acquires a company, and lets it sit. The CEO LIES to everyone-his interests lie with his fast car, and his large home. Inability to create loyalty with employees, no rewards, expectations are too high with a pay-grade too low.

Get new management!

Worked for The Hackett Group? Contribute to the Community!