The Hartford

Updated January 10, 2015
Updated January 10, 2015

The Hartford CEO Christopher Swift
Christopher Swift

Pros
  • good work - life balance - many times you could work from home when needed (in 70 reviews)

• Benefits are above par, ability to work from home occasionally is a plus (in 46 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance doesn't mean working from home is a good thing in many cases (in 34 reviews)

• If you're in a call center, good luck getting your time off approved (in 23 reviews)

More Highlights

13 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Good Company

Current Employee - LTD Claims Analyst in Bloomington, MN
    Current Employee - LTD Claims Analyst in Bloomington, MN

I have been working at The Hartford full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits: 6% 401 K match; can roll over your HSA account year after year and the company contributes $400 to it each year, start with 19 days of PTO, get another 5 going into your 4th year, and can also purchase a week and have the option to sell it back right before Christmas for extra cash, great managers, good coworkers, annual bonuses, good work environment, everyone is willing to help each other out

Cons

annual merit increases are pretty minimal, slightly lower compensation (it seems like) than other Group Benefits insurance companies, have to work on Christmas Eve day unless you're one of the lucky ones who can use PTO that day, no company parties or fun events, occasionally free lunch but pretty minimal perks (besides annual bonuses which are great!), pretty quiet and boring office atmosphere but i imagine that is the case in most insurance companies

Promote internally, be flexible, don't skip one on one monthly meetings

Lacking in work-life balance

Former Employee - Short Term Disability Analyst in Bloomington, MN
    Former Employee - Short Term Disability Analyst in Bloomington, MN

I worked at The Hartford full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Coworkers and team leaders were great to work with. Good benefits.

Cons

The department was very understaffed and the work load was very high. There was a lot of pressure to put in overtime and work faster just to get through all the work. There was a conflicting message from management to continue to produce high quality work while doing more work than is sometimes possible in one day. The technology and processing systems are pretty out of date.

Review your staffing model.

Micromanaged epic fail when it comes to managing Nurses!

Current Employee - Case Manager/Clinical Intake in Bloomington, MN
    Current Employee - Case Manager/Clinical Intake in Bloomington, MN

I have been working at The Hartford full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Family Medical Leave is decent.

Cons

Where to start with the Short term disability clinical intake dept & Case management for STD? When you do not have staff managing this dept who have clinical experience nurses and or doctors it becomes very difficult when you are trying to explain calls and policy issues relating to your clinical insight. Pushing calls through and not being able to take the time to really asses the clinical background and information leads to stress. It's my liscense on the line not there's so they could give a hoot in caring about the people "we have empathy for." I have now moved on and I think 75% of the nurses in the existing dept have as well. Case management is a joke when you cannot practice like a nurse.

Have nurses as mangers?...

It's a good place to start, but not a place to build a career.

Former Employee - Absence Coordinator III in Bloomington, MN
    Former Employee - Absence Coordinator III in Bloomington, MN

I worked at The Hartford full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good Benefits, It's a good place to start entry level and get some work experience. Most of the managers I had were knowledgeable with regards to their positions and the department operations.

Cons

After a few years, I started to realize that The Hartford was only preparing me for a career in this specific industry and if I wanted to do something else I would have to start all over at entry level. In the last year or so I was given a manager with no management experience and less knowledge of the product then I. My daily job duties were changed regularly without much notice. My salaried position I worked 3 years to earn was changed back to hourly. When I left, no one in upper management took 2 minutes to stop by and say thank you and good luck, I didn't even have an exit interview.

Your employees are your most valuable asset, you should treat them as such.

Lack of direction as a company

Current Employee - Team Leader in Bloomington, MN
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Bloomington, MN

I have been working at The Hartford full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

401k match and stock plan. Flexible schedule. Slowly improving technology. Middle management is understanding of upper managements limitations and lack of direction. Opportunities to move laterally.

Cons

Poor pay structure relative to industry competitors, salaried employees are expected to work 10+ hours of unpaid overtime weekly, poor work/life balance. Poor management. Every detail of your day is micromanaged to the most extreme measures, no trust in base level employees. Limited growth opportunities.

Start trusting your employees rather than attempting to control their every move. Give people time off that is actual time off, not just your work piling up on their desk during their absence. Pay people what they are worth, not the minimum you can to keep them on board.

strict atmosphere for a low salary

Former Employee - Inquiry Analyst in Bloomington, MN
    Former Employee - Inquiry Analyst in Bloomington, MN

I worked at The Hartford full-time (less than a year)

Pros

sometimes there is a good team atmosphere.

Cons

Strict, routine, low pay, no lenience

Great Company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, MN

I have been working at The Hartford full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Ability for growth, bonuses and growing your career within the company and great potential for salary growth as well as a lot of recognition for your hard work. starting pay is around $12/hour but starting in the contact center puts you at $15/hr. the vacation time and benefits can't be beat! 19 days of vacation!

Cons

It's best to start out in the call center but then move on from it after no more than 2 years

remain more properly staffed, don't hold some people back and push others forward and any type of micro-management is counter productive. trust that your employees will work, there's no need to hover over them. Also, when they make a suggestion really listen and follow through, don't let them feel unheard.

The Hartford is a great company to work for.

Current Employee - LTD Ability Analyst in Bloomington, MN
    Current Employee - LTD Ability Analyst in Bloomington, MN

I have been working at The Hartford full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The company offers good benefits.

Cons

To much work at times to get done in a limited amount of time.

People have lives outside The Hartford.

Poorly run company

Current Employee - Claims Analyst in Bloomington, MN
    Current Employee - Claims Analyst in Bloomington, MN

I have been working at The Hartford full-time

Pros

Decent paying first job out of college, ok benefits

Cons

Too many middle and upper managers making bad business decisions

Only make changes that actually improve business. Don't make changes for the sake of change.

Too many changes

Former Employee - LTD Ability Analyst in Bloomington, MN
    Former Employee - LTD Ability Analyst in Bloomington, MN

I worked at The Hartford full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good starting vacation and Good Benefits
    Embraces Diversity

Cons

The upper mgmt has determined that the Property/Casualty business model should be followed by all of the claims areas. As a result there have been a lot of changes in the claims processing standards for Disability claims and team sizes, which has resulted in a lot of team turnover and a lot of new team leaders. Team leaders are performing the QA process and there are inconsitencies in how the standards are applied.