The Hartford

Updated Mar 5, 2014

The Hartford Chairman, President, and CEO Liam McGee

Liam McGee

11 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

It's a good place to start, but not a place to build a career.

Absence Coordinator III (Former Employee)

I worked at The Hartford full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood Benefits, It's a good place to start entry level and get some work experience. Most of the managers I had were knowledgeable with regards to their positions and the department operations.

ConsAfter a few years, I started to realize that The Hartford was only preparing me for a career in this specific industry and if I wanted to do something else I would have to start all over at entry level. In the last year or so I was given a manager with no management experience and less knowledge of the product then I. My daily job duties were changed regularly without much notice. My salaried position I worked 3 years to earn was changed back to hourly. When I left, no one in upper management took 2 minutes to stop by and say thank you and good luck, I didn't even have an exit interview.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour employees are your most valuable asset, you should treat them as such.

Micromanaged epic fail when it comes to managing Nurses!

Case Manager/Clinical Intake (Current Employee)

I have been working at The Hartford full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFamily Medical Leave is decent.

ConsWhere to start with the Short term disability clinical intake dept & Case management for STD? When you do not have staff managing this dept who have clinical experience nurses and or doctors it becomes very difficult when you are trying to explain calls and policy issues relating to your clinical insight. Pushing calls through and not being able to take the time to really asses the clinical background and information leads to stress. It's my liscense on the line not there's so they could give a hoot in caring about the people "we have empathy for." I have now moved on and I think 75% of the nurses in the existing dept have as well. Case management is a joke when you cannot practice like a nurse.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave nurses as mangers?...

Lack of direction as a company

Team Leader (Current Employee)

I have been working at The Hartford full-time for more than 5 years

Pros401k match and stock plan. Flexible schedule. Slowly improving technology. Middle management is understanding of upper managements limitations and lack of direction. Opportunities to move laterally.

ConsPoor pay structure relative to industry competitors, salaried employees are expected to work 10+ hours of unpaid overtime weekly, poor work/life balance. Poor management. Every detail of your day is micromanaged to the most extreme measures, no trust in base level employees. Limited growth opportunities.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart trusting your employees rather than attempting to control their every move. Give people time off that is actual time off, not just your work piling up on their desk during their absence. Pay people what they are worth, not the minimum you can to keep them on board.

strict atmosphere for a low salary

Inquiry Analyst (Former Employee)
Bloomington, MN

I worked at The Hartford full-time for less than a year

Prossometimes there is a good team atmosphere.

ConsStrict, routine, low pay, no lenience

Great Company

I have been working at The Hartford full-time for more than 3 years

ProsAbility for growth, bonuses and growing your career within the company and great potential for salary growth as well as a lot of recognition for your hard work. starting pay is around $12/hour but starting in the contact center puts you at $15/hr. the vacation time and benefits can't be beat! 19 days of vacation!

ConsIt's best to start out in the call center but then move on from it after no more than 2 years

Advice to Senior Managementremain more properly staffed, don't hold some people back and push others forward and any type of micro-management is counter productive. trust that your employees will work, there's no need to hover over them. Also, when they make a suggestion really listen and follow through, don't let them feel unheard.

The Hartford is a great company to work for.

LTD Ability Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at The Hartford full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe company offers good benefits.

ConsTo much work at times to get done in a limited amount of time.

Advice to Senior ManagementPeople have lives outside The Hartford.

Poorly run company

Claims Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at The Hartford full-time

ProsDecent paying first job out of college, ok benefits

ConsToo many middle and upper managers making bad business decisions

Advice to Senior ManagementOnly make changes that actually improve business. Don't make changes for the sake of change.

Too many changes

LTD Ability Analyst (Former Employee)
Bloomington, MN

I worked at The Hartford full-time for more than a year

ProsGood starting vacation and Good Benefits
Embraces Diversity

ConsThe upper mgmt has determined that the Property/Casualty business model should be followed by all of the claims areas. As a result there have been a lot of changes in the claims processing standards for Disability claims and team sizes, which has resulted in a lot of team turnover and a lot of new team leaders. Team leaders are performing the QA process and there are inconsitencies in how the standards are applied.

A constant struggle between poor leadership and high turnover

Absence Coordinator (Current Employee)
Bloomington, MN

I have been working at The Hartford full-time for more than a year

ProsLoads of paid time off, most people are very friendly to work with, and the independence is nice.

ConsLeadership and supers are very cynical and provide zero motivation for a team. Monotonous work that takes all of 6 months to be successful at. Very high turnover, which turns into so much work, it becomes overwhelming.

Advice to Senior ManagementReally work on keeping employees motivated. Quit saying, "We're overstaffed." Even if you are, the excuse becomes a de-motivator.

Good place to gather initial working experience but have a 'plan B' after 2-4 years.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at The Hartford

Pros-Good benefits package.
-Excellent PTO balance.
-Respectful employees / people to work with.
-Pretty good job security.
-Respectable company brand name.

Cons-Technology advancement is lacking.
-Difficult to penetrate other departments or other area offices to learn different skill sets (no formal development plan to help you along that path).
-Inflexible.
-Takes too long to adjust to expanding business or implement changes.
-Still too much paper, envelope stuffing, and snail mail to communicate documents.
-Need to develop other methods for external clients to communicate info/questions to The Hartford... e.g. Instant Messaging, Online, Smartphone Apps, .....
-Good place to gather initial working experience but have a 'plan B' in place after 2-4 years.

Advice to Senior Managementn/a

Worked for The Hartford? Contribute to the Community!

The Hartford Videos

The Hartford – Why Work for Us?

​​Overview​​ ​​​The Hartford spirit is collaborative, collegial, and community oriented because our culture is rooted in shared values. Our employees live the values of integrity, teamwork, customer focus, financial… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at The Hartford reviews and ratings in Bloomington, MN — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for The Hartford CEO Liam McGee. All 11 reviews posted anonymously by The Hartford employees.