The Hartford

The Hartford Reviews

Updated Apr 12, 2014

The Hartford Chairman, President, and CEO Liam McGee

Liam McGee

Pros:
  • "The flexibility and work/life balance is fantastic within the department"
    in 44 reviews
  • "Lots of opportunity for upward movement and opportunities to work from home"
    in 27 reviews
Cons:
  • "Absolutely no work/life balance in Finance with very limited career advancement opportunities"
    in 25 reviews
  • "It's best to start out in the call center but then move on from it after no more than 2 years"
    in 15 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

How to turn a good company into one where everyone now wants "out"!

Director (Current Employee)
Simsbury, CT

I have been working at The Hartford full-time for more than 10 years

ProsPre 2009: Great company, great employees.
Post 2009: Penny pinching, scared employees

ConsThe following may seem too personal, but I just want to describe to prospective employees what they will experience. Therefore, I believe this review is entirely relevant, especially what you will read at the end.

I am a retiree of the HIG. The current climate is much different since Liam McGee took over as president 4 years ago. He has sold off business units, laid off thousands of employees, and employees are always looking over their shoulders. I keep in touch with my former colleagues, and virtually all of them describe a "gloom and doom" atmosphere. The Hartford was a TARP company who received a substantial amount of money because of bad investments. Stock price (Which I help in my 401k) went from $106 to $3.33 in less than two months. I was one of the lucky ones who got out with losing just half my savings). Apparently, Mr McGee, a former banker, believes that almost all of their businesses could be run as transactions. This changed HIG's style from a company who used to give well thought-out advice to their customers to something a company that measured everything to the nanosecond. Believe me, NO employers were ever aware we were in financial trouble before the day it was announced. And no one thought the pain would be as tortuous. The problem was the way management implemented changes. There was virtually no communication to the ees about what was going to happen, until after it happened. Smart people being escorted out, Managers changed. It was completely heartless, much more than necessary. The morale of those left behind had degraded rapidly over what they saw, and to this day, there isn't a person there who isnt afraid of that tap on the shoulder. Here's one example: In the group department where I worked, THE HIG had just hired approximately 30 new sales trainees, half right out of college, half who left their old company to work for The HIG. Then, one day, a few months into their training period, they were all let go. I am sure that these people were shocked as many of them no doubt had turned down other offers before they started at HIG. The entire company, 99% of whom hadn't even met these people were aghast. It was just WRONG, and it turned out that that just set the stage for axes to start falling everywhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs all stock held companies say, those stockholders were "owners" of the company. The other two areas of interest for most publicly traded companies, were "our customers", and only after them them, your own employees. Hartford looked at the stockholders ONLY, and did hatchet jobs on many of their long-time customers and sacked 10,000+ employees. Management really doesn't understand how this affects people and the quality of their work. Or maybe they do know - and didn't care. I worked there for 20 years and my memories are great. To see the battlefield destruction of what the new management left behind is so disheartened, even for someone like me who doesn't work there anymore. You were SO great, but now you're just an uncaring beast. No employee or client should ever, EVER, be treated the way you did. Liam, I don't know of a single employee, from the ranks to the upper management, who thinks you know what the heck you're doing. Confidence in you: None.

I do realize thats thats the way of the world now, but for Christ sake, do it with class, and make sure those left behind feel wanted.

Stay away unless you are desperate

LTD Analyst (Former Employee)
Rancho Cordova, CA

I worked at The Hartford full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood benefits, pay is decent.

ConsConstant changes and inconsistent messages leading to low employee engagement, subjective claim quality reviews with extremely high expectations and little management support, slow to identify problems and implement solutions. Little to no incentive for career progression.

Advice to Senior ManagementLead by example and openly support and recognize your staff.

Beware the company in transition.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at The Hartford full-time for more than 5 years

ProsI had some great moments with The Hartford; when the company was willing to take some risks there was a great chance to innovate. The sales force (esp mutual funds and annuities) were top-notch.

ConsSenior management lacks vision and recently has been guided more by activist shareholders than real strategy. People who are lazy and refuse to take accountability can hide in the ranks. The performance review systems is a joke.

Constantly looking for answers, never finding any.

Claims Adjuster (Current Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I have been working at The Hartford full-time for more than 3 years

ProsDecent benefits. The hours are flexible for the most part. They aren't quick to lay off typically.

ConsThe company seems very top-heavy with managers. Many departments seem purposefully under-staffed to try to squeeze as much as possible out of every employee. The company was sent into a tailspin a few years ago and it doesn't show signs of stopping. Upper management is constantly changing business practices with little or no feedback from those who actually do the work. Much of it is change for the sake of change and is usually poorly thought out and executed. Upper management doesn't seem to have an answer for anything.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet the analysts and customer service employees slow down and actually help claimants. Hire more people. Reduce the process related clutter. The customer service will continue to decline until this is remedied.

YOUR CAREER IS EXPECTED TO LAST 2-7 YEARS ONLY

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)
Santee, CA

I worked at The Hartford full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat at first. Great training. Great Salary. Great Benefits. Great co-workers.

ConsDepending on your position, it is cheaper for them to re-hire and re-train, than to continue paying yearly raises, additional vacation pay, and, 100% vesting for 401k. They use psychological tactics, bullying, and mobbing practices by supervisors and managers designed to affect your work, and to make you leave, rather then let you go. , They will even withhold your work, or calls to make you fail. There are no laws to protect you from this behavior in the USA. If your in sales 5 -7years max, customer service, they expect 2 year attrition. for most, other wise 5-7 years. . Rating department seems a safe bet.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire by contract, therefore allowing employees to move on, rather than use bullying and psychological attacks on them causing them great distress and even PTSD.. Well documented in the UK, and, Australia.

Run!

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)

I worked at The Hartford full-time for more than a year

ProsAwesome coworkers and good amount of vacation time (much needed due to stress of this job)

ConsNo incentives. Other sites had time off phones to do goofy stupid things like flash mob..etc. All we ever got is you have to be on the phones no time for play. God forbid you had to go into unscheduled to go to the bathroom. that was closley looked at and you got a lovley message that you had stay that amount of time after your shift. However hey would constantly tell you that you had bathroom privlidges but do it on break or lunch (like that can be something you can control). The rack and stack method of measuring your performance is a joke. You can be meeting all your expected numbers but still lose your job because there are 20% of your peers that are doing well above those numbers) especially those who get paperwork all the time and really dont have any numbers to go by. these were the so called favorites. Lots of nepitisim and favoritism. Treat your customers like they are numbers and not elderly customers who really needed help understanding insurancef get them off the phone as quick as possible (who cared if they didnt understand) but then you get dinged whenever they call back in a rolling 30 day period! Job was basically based on if they called back withing 30 days and customer surveys which anything under a 10 basically brought you down. how many people will rate anything a 10! half of them didnt even know how to use the survey system and wound out giving people zeros instead( with no thought from management that these people didnt know how to use the system) Constantly micro managed to the point that I and a few other coworkers were put on anti anxiety meds.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit the micor management with managers who have little or no customer service experience. Bring back the old way thinking that the customer comes first before your un achievable numbers.

Poorly run company

Claims Analyst (Current Employee)
Bloomington, MN

I have been working at The Hartford full-time

ProsDecent paying first job out of college, ok benefits

ConsToo many middle and upper managers making bad business decisions

Advice to Senior ManagementOnly make changes that actually improve business. Don't make changes for the sake of change.

horrible comoany to work for and do business with

Manager (Current Employee)
Hartford, CT

I have been working at The Hartford full-time for more than 8 years

Prosvacation time accumulation, some employees are nice but most of them just suck up to uper management

Consterrible management, horrible customer service, they should be out of business, the only thing u can get things done is by sucking up to management

Structure, Metrics, Point System, Talk and be a Robot: Not such a good company

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
Allentown, PA

I have been working at The Hartford full-time for less than a year

ProsWork indoors in a comfortable office or working from home.

ConsOnly 30minute lunch, they make you stay on the phones until the very last minute of your shift so that you stuck on a phone call and can never leave on time, they have a metric system that is the largest I've ever see in my life that you have to follow numbers, they make you talk like a robot to every customer and take points off if you don't, if you are late to work because of traffic or accidents on the road it's your fault and you get a tardy or unscheduled which counts against you so that they can add them up and have a good reason to fire you, they coaching weekly or biweekly on you imperfections, they want you to rush the call with the customer instead of providing good customer service, they make employees compete against each other and play games like as though we are in kindengarden.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat employees like professionals not kindengardeners. Allow employees to leave when there shift is over. Longer lunch breaks. Focus on good customer service versus numbers. Keep the goals simple you overdue it with metrics and making employees talk like robots.

Good company, tough times

Director (Current Employee)
Hartford, CT

I have been working at The Hartford full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood benefits, good flex time

ConsSelling off businesses, many employees leaving, extra work for those remaining with no extra comp

Worked for The Hartford? Contribute to the Community!

The Hartford Videos

The Hartford – Why Work for Us?

​​Overview​​ ​​​The Hartford spirit is collaborative, collegial, and community oriented because our culture is rooted in shared values. Our employees live the values of integrity, teamwork, customer focus, financial… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at The Hartford reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for The Hartford CEO Liam McGee. All 493 reviews posted anonymously by The Hartford employees.