The Hartford

The Hartford Reviews

Updated Jul 20, 2014

The Hartford CEO Christopher Swift

Christopher Swift

Pros
  • good work - life balance - many times you could work from home when needed(in 53 reviews)

• Work from home option can be available after a year or two also(in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • Absolutely no work/life balance in Finance with very limited career advancement opportunities(in 29 reviews)

• It's best to start out in the call center but then move on from it after no more than 2 years(in 17 reviews)

Worst Employer In The World

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Allentown, PA

ProsNO Pros only cons and more cons

ConsBeware, this company has a very high turn over rate which is why they have hiring classes every other month. What they are doing is hiring people at a low salary and then once they reach a higher salary they are firing lots of employees. They try to get the employees to resign before they fire them so that you can not sue them. If you don't resign and they fire you they attempt to fight your unemployment so that you can not collect. Right now they are firing in bulk. If your ok with a temp job then go for it but this is definitely not long term.

Orwellian Obedience

Inside Sales Agent (Current Employee) Southington, CT

ProsGreat Training, Licensing is Paid For

ConsEverything else - Management, Development, Culture- All are a failure. I can't believe I wasted 2 years there. They lie to you when you apply saying that you can move to other departments, but the competition is so fierce that you have to spend 10 years on the phones before you get anything. The management is non-existent and you only get reviewed by the numbers. They don't care about you as a person and even complained to me because I used the bathroom too often (twice in one day) - I was told bathroom time is when I get my break not when I need to go. - true words from my manager. My boss was not available for irate customers -which there were tons of. You basically manage yourself and God forbid you ask a question of anybody. They won't answer you. Because they don't know - or don't want to say the wrong thing. Everything is wrong in this company and only getting worse, but I'm sure they will make a profit for years to come.

Advice to Senior ManagementI don't know what to say, I never met a single manager - above my boss. They just go from meeting to pointless meeting, but never ask for any feedback from employees.

High stress, low pay, employees not important

Ability Analyst (Current Employee) Sacramento, CA

ProsFlexibility in work schedule and environment in most cases. Work at home is available.

ConsWhile they want people to work in teams bonuses and raises are based on only how you perform against others. This seems to promote competition against others on your own team rather than getting people to work to a common goal. Customers are a focus but only after money. This is clear in their goals. The pay and benefits are below standard for the work expected. There is nothing to make this feel like a "family" it is a cold company. You will need to work overtime every week to do the expected job well but they don't want to give you the overtime.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on customers and employees and the financial will come. Give better pay and better benefits if you want less attrition. Stop pitting employees against one another. Management needs to work on making this a better company to work for. Stop placing all the ownership of employee satisfaction on the shoulders of the employees.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Stagnant Career

Underwriter (Former Employee) Charlotte, NC

ProsYou can not get fired.

ConsCulture of gossip, rather than a culture that fosters productivity. Above average productivity is rewarded with paltry bonuses and $25 gift cards. Pitiful. Managers have the moral equivalency of an average politician.

Advice to Senior ManagementHang yourselves.

Working here is a nightmare

Claims Representative (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsThey offer lots of PTO, good insurance, short and long term disability for employees, set daytime hours.

Cons-Horrific level of micromanaging
    - Unethical managment
    -Team leaders have total control, upper level managment is uninvolved and uninformed
    -Unrealistic expectations
    -Bullying and targeting by leadership
    -Outdated technology
    -Short Term Disability claims analysts are forced to take call center calls all day while feeing forced to meet unrealistic goals of managing their own claim work and no one sees this as a problem
    -Everything you do is watched and did I said MICROMANAGED?
    -Everyone in the office seems unhappy, discouraged and over worked
    -Little employee engagement
    -Poor opportunity for career progression

I would recommend staying out of the Disability Claims departments. Other areas may be better.

Advice to Senior ManagementBack off the micromanaging, stop bullying, targeting and harassing employees. Stop firing people for your mistakes that you won't take responsibility for. Upper managers- take some of the power back from the team leaders. Wake up and smell the coffee. Be aware of what is going on under your nose.

How to turn a good company into one where everyone now wants "out"!

Director (Current Employee) Simsbury, CT

ProsPre 2009: Great company, great employees.
    Post 2009: Penny pinching, scared employees

ConsThe following may seem too personal, but I just want to describe to prospective employees what they will experience. Therefore, I believe this review is entirely relevant, especially what you will read at the end.

I am a retiree of the HIG. The current climate is much different since Liam McGee took over as president 4 years ago. He has sold off business units, laid off thousands of employees, and employees are always looking over their shoulders. I keep in touch with my former colleagues, and virtually all of them describe a "gloom and doom" atmosphere. The Hartford was a TARP company who received a substantial amount of money because of bad investments. Stock price (Which I help in my 401k) went from $106 to $3.33 in less than two months. I was one of the lucky ones who got out with losing just half my savings). Apparently, Mr McGee, a former banker, believes that almost all of their businesses could be run as transactions. This changed HIG's style from a company who used to give well thought-out advice to their customers to something a company that measured everything to the nanosecond. Believe me, NO employers were ever aware we were in financial trouble before the day it was announced. And no one thought the pain would be as tortuous. The problem was the way management implemented changes. There was virtually no communication to the ees about what was going to happen, until after it happened. Smart people being escorted out, Managers changed. It was completely heartless, much more than necessary. The morale of those left behind had degraded rapidly over what they saw, and to this day, there isn't a person there who isnt afraid of that tap on the shoulder. Here's one example: In the group department where I worked, THE HIG had just hired approximately 30 new sales trainees, half right out of college, half who left their old company to work for The HIG. Then, one day, a few months into their training period, they were all let go. I am sure that these people were shocked as many of them no doubt had turned down other offers before they started at HIG. The entire company, 99% of whom hadn't even met these people were aghast. It was just WRONG, and it turned out that that just set the stage for axes to start falling everywhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs all stock held companies say, those stockholders were "owners" of the company. The other two areas of interest for most publicly traded companies, were "our customers", and only after them them, your own employees. Hartford looked at the stockholders ONLY, and did hatchet jobs on many of their long-time customers and sacked 10,000+ employees. Management really doesn't understand how this affects people and the quality of their work. Or maybe they do know - and didn't care. I worked there for 20 years and my memories are great. To see the battlefield destruction of what the new management left behind is so disheartened, even for someone like me who doesn't work there anymore. You were SO great, but now you're just an uncaring beast. No employee or client should ever, EVER, be treated the way you did. Liam, I don't know of a single employee, from the ranks to the upper management, who thinks you know what the heck you're doing. Confidence in you: None.

I do realize thats thats the way of the world now, but for Christ sake, do it with class, and make sure those left behind feel wanted.

Stay away unless you are desperate

LTD Analyst (Former Employee) Rancho Cordova, CA

ProsGood benefits, pay is decent.

ConsConstant changes and inconsistent messages leading to low employee engagement, subjective claim quality reviews with extremely high expectations and little management support, slow to identify problems and implement solutions. Little to no incentive for career progression.

Advice to Senior ManagementLead by example and openly support and recognize your staff.

Beware the company in transition.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI had some great moments with The Hartford; when the company was willing to take some risks there was a great chance to innovate. The sales force (esp mutual funds and annuities) were top-notch.

ConsSenior management lacks vision and recently has been guided more by activist shareholders than real strategy. People who are lazy and refuse to take accountability can hide in the ranks. The performance review systems is a joke.

Constantly looking for answers, never finding any.

Claims Adjuster (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsDecent benefits. The hours are flexible for the most part. They aren't quick to lay off typically.

ConsThe company seems very top-heavy with managers. Many departments seem purposefully under-staffed to try to squeeze as much as possible out of every employee. The company was sent into a tailspin a few years ago and it doesn't show signs of stopping. Upper management is constantly changing business practices with little or no feedback from those who actually do the work. Much of it is change for the sake of change and is usually poorly thought out and executed. Upper management doesn't seem to have an answer for anything.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet the analysts and customer service employees slow down and actually help claimants. Hire more people. Reduce the process related clutter. The customer service will continue to decline until this is remedied.

YOUR CAREER IS EXPECTED TO LAST 2-7 YEARS ONLY

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Santee, CA

ProsGreat at first. Great training. Great Salary. Great Benefits. Great co-workers.

ConsDepending on your position, it is cheaper for them to re-hire and re-train, than to continue paying yearly raises, additional vacation pay, and, 100% vesting for 401k. They use psychological tactics, bullying, and mobbing practices by supervisors and managers designed to affect your work, and to make you leave, rather then let you go. , They will even withhold your work, or calls to make you fail. There are no laws to protect you from this behavior in the USA. If your in sales 5 -7years max, customer service, they expect 2 year attrition. for most, other wise 5-7 years. . Rating department seems a safe bet.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire by contract, therefore allowing employees to move on, rather than use bullying and psychological attacks on them causing them great distress and even PTSD.. Well documented in the UK, and, Australia.

Worked for The Hartford? Contribute to the Community!