The Hartford

The Hartford Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

The Hartford CEO Christopher Swift

Christopher Swift

Pros
  • good work - life balance - many times you could work from home when needed(in 53 reviews)

• Work from home option can be available after a year or two also(in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • Absolutely no work/life balance in Finance with very limited career advancement opportunities(in 29 reviews)

• It's best to start out in the call center but then move on from it after no more than 2 years(in 17 reviews)

Great culture, values, and history; lagging in technology and base pay incentives

Project Delivery Lead (Current Employee)

ProsTime off policies, internal talent development, bonus & other benefits, culture & values (regularly achieves status as one of the world's most ethical companies). This has been my only employer since graduating college, and their tuition reimbursement program paid for my MBA degree. It's tough to find much to complain about, except that maybe insurance as a whole isn't the most lucrative industry.

ConsTough to fully advance in your career unless you're located in the Hartford, CT area. Also, their base pay does seem a little lower than competitors.

Professional, collaborative company dedicated to integrity

Business Consultant (Current Employee)

ProsLarge, tenured company with name recognition means a certain level of job security. Pay was consistent with the industry. A lot of experience and strong training/mentorship program means you won't be thrown to the wolves in a new position. Strong focus on work/life balance.

ConsCorporate HQ can be VERY clicky/political, and people who aren't as qualified or tenured often get promotions over more qualified candidates simply because they "play the game" better. Very reactive company, so the pendulum often swings wildly from year-to-year in terms of focus: sales/profitability, compliance/ease of doing business.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to develop ALL employees, not just those who are visible and vocal.

Great benefits, base compensation is a little low for the industry but they have incentives to make up for it.

Agency Care (Current Employee) Windsor, CT

ProsPlenty of opportunity for career growth if you apply yourself.

ConsTraining is very intensive and you can't miss any time.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good place to work

Director (Current Employee) Lake Mary, FL

ProsAdvancement, personal growth, training, culture, benefits

ConsWork life balance is a personal issue.

Good benefits - Hard work - Keep your opinions to yourself

Claims (Current Employee) Aurora, IL

ProsVery good benefits, and one of the few companies still providing annual bonus and 401k contribution. PTO is generous as long as you work twice as hard before and after taking PTO in order to stay current on deadlines, and other responsibilities. They provide a truely contemporary work environment with flexible start times, along with occasional or full remote work opportunities. Most locations do not have a strict old business dress code. Prepare for and accept a 50+ hr work week.

ConsNever criticize a program while it is 'in favor', or you will be ostracized for daring to go against the tide. If you keep your head down and wait it out, someone in the upper echelon will start a movement to change the program and that person will be celebrated as a champion of change.

The current culture is to limit new hires to recent graduates from select universities. The creators of this 'program' apparently did not consider that had their 'program' been in effect over the last 20 years or so, none of them would have been here to create it. Is it advantageous for any corporation to bring to the table, employees whose only experience is with the same company? Bravo!

Advice to Senior ManagementI've been with The Hartford for many years now. I've had a good career, and am thankful for that. We are very good at metrics - measuring execution. I have rarely seen leaders held accountable. However, I have seen many talented employees come out of the virtual training environment, and be placed on a team with a leader who has no coaching skills. I've watched these talented employees be pushed out, but I've never seen the same happen to a leader. You measure overall attrition. Don't bury your head in the sand. Find out why people leave.

We also encourage employees to seek out other roles, learn other lines, become well rounded. But beware to those who take a chance on a role that is not quite a good fit for them. You may have been a top performer in your last role, but you could well be terminated in the next role without any consideration of why there was an epic fail (see previous comment regarding leaders with no coaching skills) or whether there is a good fit elsewhere for an excellent employee with a proven track record.

Lastly, at the very least please admit the Boys Club exists. Resist the temptation to simply agree with the notion that any limitations to women in senior positions is really their own limitation. You will never experience returning from maternity leave to find your excellent performance rating plummet to 'inconsistent' during your absence. I find it insulting that you feel you are doing your part by telling women to "Lean In". Better that you should mentally note every time you disregard, ignore, or find opinions by your female coworkers unimportant.

Great place to learn and grow!

Varied (Former Employee)

ProsGood development program and plans for those willing to put in the extra!
    Can walk in wiht no experieince and the company will teach you professional skills--insurance concepts and license you as well as leadership skills.

ConsChange is a constant...and soemtimes the company doesn't show enough patience to put ideas into actions.

Experience at the Hartford

Ability Analyst (Former Employee) Alpharetta, GA

ProsIf you really need a job this is a paycheck.

ConsNo room for career advancement. May work in the same position with limited increases in pay for years and years and years. Poor reflection on leadership when employees are not reflecting improvement.

Advice to Senior ManagementI left management, not the company. Current management skills are lacking in innovation and ideas and they are unwilling to compromise old thinking. This is the primary reason why they will stay behind in the marketplace and continue laying people off.

Great company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsDecent pay
    Good hours
    Pretty good management

ConsCan get boring with same thing everyday

Unappreciated and never satisfied

Sales (Former Employee) Allentown, PA

ProsSome of the co workers are great - the rest are a bit car salesmanish ... depends on what type of person you like ...

ConsMicromanaging, and when I say micromanaging they follow you in the bathroom if you are taking too long. You are the best thing on earth if you have a good month but one bad day and your useless to them. They want you to answer calls like a machine, nothing you do is right, I suggest they just script their employees then since you can never please your manager. Managers really some times have nothing to say so they pick randomly at you just to seem important.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees with respect and like adults and maybe they will perform like that for you.

Soured, betrayed, hurt, disappointed

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsNone, anymore. You have to s**k up ( sell your soul) to mgmnt to move up

ConsMgmnt lies about "teamwork". The "little people" are underpaid and underappreciated. Yet they do the work necessary for their higher paid and better paid/treated co-workers in the same dept. My impression is that Liam is making all these changes, selling off parts of the company, "RIF"-ing to male only himself look good, get the extreme raises, then I bet my entire raise ( which was zero.......) that he will quit in about 3 years. He will have more money than God with which to retire. And the 20,000 people left in his wake, will suffer the consequences of his actions. Thank goodness I believe in Karma. I will survive the evil and darkness in his soul. Do not ever apply for a job at The Mighty Hartford, please......... Go elsewhere. Thank you for reading my review.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease help me to understand: $495 Million dollar profit, Liam gets a 64% raise of $16.1 Million dollars, and this year I got a zero bonus and a zero % raise. Could some one in Home Office please reply to this to help me understand? I have worked over 30 years , 8 different employers, and have NEVER NOT received a raise. I have received several awards at The Hartford, yet this year, the pool of money allotted went to the higher salaried workers in my dept.

Worked for The Hartford? Contribute to the Community!