The Hartford

The Hartford Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014

The Hartford Chairman, President, and CEO Liam McGee

Liam McGee

Pros:
  • "years and watched them create probably the best work/life balance in the industry"
    in 48 reviews
  • "Work from home option can be available after a year or two also"
    in 31 reviews
Cons:
  • "Absolutely no work/life balance in Finance with very limited career advancement opportunities"
    in 26 reviews
  • "It's best to start out in the call center but then move on from it after no more than 2 years"
    in 15 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great experience.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at The Hartford

ProsThe people and your teammates

ConsThe politics can be exhausting.

The Hartford is a good place to work.

Manager Employee Relocation (Current Employee)

I have been working at The Hartford full-time for more than 10 years

ProsMy co-workers and internal customers are great people, it is a collaborative congenial environment and respectful of others and very service oriented.

ConsThe company is so large that it can be somewhat bureaucratic and slow moving, but they have implemented a program for improvement and it seems to be working well!

Advice to Senior ManagementFind a terrific buyer/new employer for the Simsbury Campus ASAP.

Great people ! You learn a lot and paid training! Paid Time Off is really good, difficult to schedule though.

Customer Service Associate (Current Employee)
San Diego, CA

I have been working at The Hartford full-time for more than a year

ProsTeamwork, learning, opp for growth, PTO, diversity,

ConsPay, bonuses, too stressful, bad work schedules

Advice to Senior Managementnot so many metrics, focus more on employee morale

For the most part an enjoyable experience. Employees and management are professional and caring.

Program Director (Former Employee)

I worked at The Hartford full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat peer group. All seem willing and able to go the extra mile.

ConsAs with any Company there are corporate politics and cultures to navigate.

horrible

Database Administrator (Former Employee)
Fort Washington, PA

I worked at The Hartford full-time for more than a year

Prosnone there are no pro things

Conshorrible mgrs who tried to fire me after my heart attack and only stopped when their layers told them i had a great case to sue them

Advice to Senior Managementreap what you sow

Internship over the summer as a Product Manager in 2013. Came in looking to gain experience as a Product Manager.

Product Manager (Former Employee)
Simsbury, CT

I worked at The Hartford as an intern for less than a year

ProsGood Team Environment
Company culture is solid and good work/life balance

ConsNot technologically advanced (although trying). My computer ran extremely slow and it was running old Microsoft product versions. Also very minimal training was provided.

At the end of the summer, while they spoke to me many times about possible employment in the future, they never once contacted me about it after I left. A simple email explaining the 'No' would have been 1000% better than no communication at all. Very disappointed in the tactfulness of this lack of action.

Micromanaged epic fail when it comes to managing Nurses!

Case Manager/Clinical Intake (Current Employee)
Bloomington, MN

I have been working at The Hartford full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFamily Medical Leave is decent.

ConsWhere to start with the Short term disability clinical intake dept & Case management for STD? When you do not have staff managing this dept who have clinical experience nurses and or doctors it becomes very difficult when you are trying to explain calls and policy issues relating to your clinical insight. Pushing calls through and not being able to take the time to really asses the clinical background and information leads to stress. It's my liscense on the line not there's so they could give a hoot in caring about the people "we have empathy for." I have now moved on and I think 75% of the nurses in the existing dept have as well. Case management is a joke when you cannot practice like a nurse.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave nurses as mangers?...

Morale is still as low as can possibly be.

Director (Former Employee)

I worked at The Hartford full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThose reasons do not exist anymore, unfortunately. The employees who remain saw how they forced out long term age 50+ ees under the guise of a gun-to-the-head medical offer. The amazing talent that has left that once-great company is plain mind-boggling. And the upper management doesn't even know it bc they are too busy picking up pennies from the floor.

ConsAs a public company, HIG is owned by its shareholders, NOT its employees nor its customers. Therefore, ALL decisions are made to benefit the shareholders. There is a much reduced regard for customers and hardly any regard for employees. Buy the stock, but don't work there. It's just not worth your mental health.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop SAYING how important work/life balance is, and start helping your employees ATTAIN IT.

Management tightening the ropes too much- very stressful, production times inadequate

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at The Hartford

Prosgood benefits, generous vacation time

Consno flex time, micro-managed, excessive workloads & insufficient time to complete work, employee moral has decreased over the last 5 years (no time for team meetings or anything benefiting employee relations)

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a step back, listen to employees, find a happy medium between over efficiency & the real world of keeping happy & productive employees

Hiring computer personnel in India to take the place of Americans who have been let go because of this decision.

Claims (Current Employee)
North Atlanta, GA

I have been working at The Hartford full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe Hartford is an honest company and promotes this throughout their workforce.

ConsSlow to provide employees with current evaluation of their work.

Advice to Senior ManagementReviews or audits of your work should be provided to the employee upon Management's receipt, not 2, 3, 4 months later.

Worked for The Hartford? Contribute to the Community!

The Hartford Videos

The Hartford – Why Work for Us?

​​Overview​​ ​​​The Hartford spirit is collaborative, collegial, and community oriented because our culture is rooted in shared values. Our employees live the values of integrity, teamwork, customer focus, financial… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at The Hartford reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for The Hartford CEO Liam McGee. All 495 reviews posted anonymously by The Hartford employees.