The Hartford

The Hartford Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

The Hartford CEO Christopher Swift

Christopher Swift

Pros
  • good work - life balance - many times you could work from home when needed(in 53 reviews)

• Work from home option can be available after a year or two also(in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • Absolutely no work/life balance in Finance with very limited career advancement opportunities(in 29 reviews)

• It's best to start out in the call center but then move on from it after no more than 2 years(in 17 reviews)

Soured, betrayed, hurt, disappointed

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsNone, anymore. You have to s**k up ( sell your soul) to mgmnt to move up

ConsMgmnt lies about "teamwork". The "little people" are underpaid and underappreciated. Yet they do the work necessary for their higher paid and better paid/treated co-workers in the same dept. My impression is that Liam is making all these changes, selling off parts of the company, "RIF"-ing to male only himself look good, get the extreme raises, then I bet my entire raise ( which was zero.......) that he will quit in about 3 years. He will have more money than God with which to retire. And the 20,000 people left in his wake, will suffer the consequences of his actions. Thank goodness I believe in Karma. I will survive the evil and darkness in his soul. Do not ever apply for a job at The Mighty Hartford, please......... Go elsewhere. Thank you for reading my review.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease help me to understand: $495 Million dollar profit, Liam gets a 64% raise of $16.1 Million dollars, and this year I got a zero bonus and a zero % raise. Could some one in Home Office please reply to this to help me understand? I have worked over 30 years , 8 different employers, and have NEVER NOT received a raise. I have received several awards at The Hartford, yet this year, the pool of money allotted went to the higher salaried workers in my dept.

Poor management

Project Management (Former Employee) Hartford, CT

ProsThe company Has a remote worker policy. Has nice bonuses. They encourage internal advancement

ConsIf you are accustomed to working under a project management structure you will be sorely disappointed. Employees are home grown people who worked up the ranks with now real background working in leadership roles. Their heads are in the sand and make it hard for newcomers to give feedback for change or progressive work structures. Legacy employees resist change and management will not enforce changes. They talk the talk but won't require it. Beware if you are a newcomer. They say you're being hired for your experience and need for change but they don't mean it

Advice to Senior ManagementBring in more people from the outside world who have fresh ideas and trust and support them to implement. Give people real training where needed. Shadowing and other internal training is nice but if they are shadowing people who are reinforcing old ways, it is not very progressive.

OK if you are young and inexperienced

Sales Representative (Former Employee) Allentown, PA

ProsVery flexible hours (call center) and options to work from home.

ConsUnprofessional atmosphere, no opportunities. OK for a first job but you wouldn't want to make a career of it.

Advice to Senior ManagementRealize that good employees are your best asset

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Avoid. Just Don't Do It.

Senior Developer (Former Employee)

ProsIf you can make it to the appropriate job category, bonuses are good. When they are available.
    The people who work at this company are fantastic.

ConsThe lT leadership (or lack thereof) is what made me leave the company. Favoritism and politics abound. Change happens frequently, and sadly it is never for the better. I tried to navigate through it all and was left floating in shark-infested waters all alone when my sponsors moved to other areas within the company. This company will overburden you with work and overstress you with negativity. Avoid.

Advice to Senior ManagementCare about your people. Stop rewarding your golf buddies and look at your company as a whole. Or…perhaps you should just take your golden parachute and retire.

Inside Claim Rep - CAT office

Inside Claim Representative (Current Employee) Aurora, IL

ProsPay is decent if you are right out of college. Peers are fantastic people. Work from home opportunities. Benefits. Many different departments to move to.

ConsManagement has no clue how to handle claims efficiently. Favoritism is clear. They promote people with little to no experience (college grad promoted to team leader within six months of being with the company?) management doesn't listen to their employees. Technology is dated. Workload is heavy with little flexibility. Pay could be adjusted to reflect industry averages.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop thinking of yourselves and listen to the people that work for you.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

The Hartford

Applications Developer (Current Employee) Hartford, CT

ProsThe company has been good to me. My career is on the rise and they are paying for me to go back to school.

ConsLots of changes of late but I am happy to still be here

Advice to Senior ManagementSome better raises would be nice.

Place to build a career

Agency Care (Current Employee) Santee, CA

ProsExcellent training and support as a new hire to set you up for success.The coworkers are friendly and suuportive and leadership seems genuinely dedicated to customers and their people. Most Managers have worked as Reps so they understand and can be very supportive. Great place to build your career with tuition reimbursement and promotions to different roles and management possible after a couple if years. Benefits are good, salary is OK but you can earn awards and incentives. Work from home option can be available after a year or two also.

ConsWork can be challenging with lots of metrics about your performance. This is not a good place for just a job, more like a career place to come, learn and get advancement. Leaders serious about performance and will help you get ahead and be successful. Been there 3 yes and can say you will get out of it what you put in. Work hard and you can get good career advancement,help with tuition and hours that work for you. Lots of overtime available which can be a good thing if you like $.

Advice to Senior ManagementComputer systems are s bit dated. Would like to see more remote work opptys. Overall great company, great people to work with and for.

Uneven

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsRemote work, future focus, transparent approaches

Consfrequent reorgs (which are potentially reaching a natural end), uneven communication

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure the benefits of the organization and exciting aspects cascade as fully as the work ethic and requirements.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Good learning experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Hartford, CT

ProsGood people to work with.

ConsStrategic direction and ability to change is limited.

Great experience working for the Hartford

Claims Adjuster (Current Employee) Lake Mary, FL

ProsAn old company with strong roots, currently changing into to a younger more adaptive company to keep up with today's speed.

ConsWith much change, positive feedback can be over looked from time to time.

Advice to Senior ManagementTraining could be improved.

Worked for The Hartford? Contribute to the Community!