The Hartford

Updated December 17, 2014
3.2

The Hartford CEO Christopher Swift
Christopher Swift

Pros
  • good work - life balance - many times you could work from home when needed (in 70 reviews)

• Benefits are above par, ability to work from home occasionally is a plus (in 46 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance doesn't mean working from home is a good thing in many cases (in 34 reviews)

• If you're in a call center, good luck getting your time off approved (in 23 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Employer- Loved My Freedom!

Former Employee - Commercial Accounts in Windsor, CT
    Former Employee - Commercial Accounts in Windsor, CT

I worked at The Hartford full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I liked the fact I made my own schedule. I never had to use PTO if I didn't want to. I could work from home if I chose to, I got massive overtime, which put more money in my pockets and I could do it right from home as well. Beautiful Building in Windsor CT, as it was just built. All new equipment. My mangers had confidence in me, so I was put on a lot of extra outside projects as well, which broke up the monotony. Great Bonus Pay. Nice Walking trails and Cafeteria. Managers willing to help with personal growth, allowing you to shadow in other departments etc. Great benefits. Great investment options.

Cons

Changes, something was changing every other week it seemed like. At times management seemed confused as well. Also the massive layoffs. That is why I am not currently there, it is not by choice. The salary increases were minimal, thank God for the Bonus checks! I would say the biggest Con was layoffs and sitting on eggshells. It's like you know it;s going to happen, but you don't know to who.

Be more proactive when it comes to your employee's, don't just manage, understand the function of the actual job that is being done. I have seen to many managers who want to crack the whip on their employee's for falling short on something but then you ask them a question, and they can't answer it because they know nothing about the job function they are managing!

Great Work/Life Balance and Overall great Company to work for with strong values.

I have been working at The Hartford

Pros

Career Development, Great work environment.

Cons

Challenging but rewarding career paths.

Constant changing company

Current Employee - Auto Damage Appraiser in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Auto Damage Appraiser in New York, NY

I have been working at The Hartford

Pros

Paid time off and work flexibility

Cons

Constantly changing enviorment wish it would be same

Please do not change enviorment for staff.

Wonderful experience.

Former Employee - Service Consultant in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Service Consultant in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at The Hartford full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great training for new and existing employees.

Cons

There are none that come to mind.

Actuarial Intern

Current Employee - Actuarial Intern in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Actuarial Intern in Hartford, CT

I have been working at The Hartford as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

They provided many opportunities to network and to get to know the people you work with. The compensation was very fair. I was never overworked, and the people I worked for valued work-life balance.

Cons

The company was in a time of change while I worked there. There were questions of whether the company would keep its Life division, and they ended up selling the business not long after I left.

Customer Service Representative

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Allentown, PA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Allentown, PA

I worked at The Hartford full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Training, compensation, very family oriented and community friendly organization. Generous amount of PTO and opportunity to go home early when the phones are slow. I think this is a good employer to work for if you are used to the call center environment.

Cons

Long hours, weekends, constantly on the phone. Only able to be off the phone for 15 minutes per day other than when you are on your lunch break. This includes time to go the bathroom. I think this is a good company to work for if you are used to the call center environment.

Working for The Hartford was mediocre, but most jobs have pros and cons.

Former Employee - Customer Care Representative in Aurora, IL
    Former Employee - Customer Care Representative in Aurora, IL

I worked at The Hartford

Pros

The people, most of the people working there are very nice and do thir best to help out when they can.

Cons

Working in the call center can be very challenging, people say whatever they want to you and you have to just take it, the customers can be awful. Also the scheduling, if you take your break 10 minutes late you'll be hearing about it.

Give people more time after calls.

Ok Overall

Current Employee - Underwriter in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Underwriter in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at The Hartford (more than an year)

Pros

Pay is decent and you have the option to work from home once you have been there a while however they are selective on who can work from home. Generous PTO

Cons

High stress environment. They just changed the health benefits to CDHP high deductible
    Plans and they are not good. Lack of upward movement in regional offices as most upper management and opportunities are in Hartford only. Upper management seems out of touch. Departments do not work together well to get things accomplished

Make more opportunities for home office positions such as product development and marketing available in regional offices and service centers

Poorly run department.

Current Employee - Associate Claim Representative in Windsor, CT
    Current Employee - Associate Claim Representative in Windsor, CT

I have been working at The Hartford full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Weekends off, training, generous paid time off.
    The Hartford as a company has many solid benefits, but in restructuring the Claims organization they seemed to have let them drift off and lose their way.

Cons

Poorly run. Northeast Auto was run into the ground long before I was hired. Basically they run the place like a call center. For a company touting a 200 year legacy, they don't even know how to onboard an employee.
    They were perfectly happy with crummy retention rates, even stating they were proud that not many of their employees were around the year prior.

High volume, high stress, no rewards. This is a job you work at until you drop dead from a heart attack at 47.

Probably reconsider firing people on December 23rd

Not the best, but not terrible.

Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at The Hartford

Pros

The people are great! I love who I work with, everyone is very friendly and outgoing.

Cons

They don't give you all the training you need. They throw you into it and hide when there is a problem.

The claim volume is very high and sometimes uncontrollable. You have to push you team lead in order to get help.

You do not get paid enough to deal with everything.

upper management ignore everything the employees say. I have reached out numerous times and nothing has every turned around for my benefit or my peers.