www.thehartford.com

Updated March 4, 2015
3.2

The Hartford CEO Christopher Swift
Christopher Swift

Pros
  • good work - life balance - many times you could work from home when needed (in 70 reviews)

• Benefits are above par, ability to work from home occasionally is a plus (in 46 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance doesn't mean working from home is a good thing in many cases (in 34 reviews)

• If you're in a call center, good luck getting your time off approved (in 23 reviews)

More Highlights

Great experience for interns and young professionals.

Former Intern - Claims Adjuster in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Intern - Claims Adjuster in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at The Hartford as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Gave a great exposure to the insurance process, specifically claims adjusting. Showed the new hires and interns the ethical concerns when adjusting claims, as well as how to properly indemnify the customer. Paid time off is good, compensation is sufficient.

Cons

Takes a lot of time to move up in claims division, and unless you go management route, pay will likely never be 6-figure.

Continue the promotion of hard workers. Give more incentive to work hard and handle claims in timely manner

Iconic brand on the right path.

Current Employee - Team Leader in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Hartford, CT

I have been working at The Hartford

Pros

Nice people, family/community feel, career growth opportunities for most.

Cons

Need to make the company feel more contemporary (the leadership team is working on that).

We have many deep technical and operational leaders at the top which is great. But we need them to keep inspiring all employees also. Keep pushing our growth agenda hard.

I am a former employee

I worked at The Hartford

Pros

Was able to advance easily

Cons

You ate just a number

Pay attention to o your employees

Actuarial Analyst

I worked at The Hartford

Pros

Large actuarial student program - good support for exams.

Cons

Largely located in Hartford, CT. Not a lot of opportunity to transfer to Boston or NYC.

Small Commercial Renewal Underwriter

Former Employee - Renewal Underwriter in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Renewal Underwriter in Charlotte, NC

I worked at The Hartford

Pros

Opportunity for personal growth, Opportunity to build skill sets needed for analytical jobs, employee relationships are positive, very helpful team members.

Cons

Unrealistic production goals, quality metrics are not consistently evaluated.

Good place to work with good flexibility

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Windsor, CT
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Windsor, CT

I worked at The Hartford full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The pay, bonus, and time off structure is great. The culture is good.

Cons

The company was downsizing constantly.

Focus on your employees and reduce offshoring

Former Employee - Senior Claims Adjuster
    Former Employee - Senior Claims Adjuster

I worked at The Hartford

Pros

Very organized and structured Insurance Company with fair salary and good retirement plan and benefits. The Hartford has a solid well respected reputation.

Cons

Work/Life balance can be challenging due to high case loads and expectations, but is manageable the majority of the time.

Claim Representative

I have been working at The Hartford

Pros

Great staff for the hartford

Cons

Nothing I can think of

A company with little diversity...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hartford, CT

I worked at The Hartford

Pros

1) A company that treats their women well. I had a coworker that went on maternity leave for six months and was able to come back and retain her manager position.
    2) Great internship program
    3) They pay their employees pretty well

Cons

I'm a monority woman, and during my time there I was probably one of the three monority women on my floor (probably one out of 10 in the eompany with more than 20,000 employees). They just rolled out a Diversity and Inclusion Program in 2012, but I haven't seen any improvements in diversity in the workplace yet. I feel like the managers that I have worked with were very color-blind - they aren't open to talking about different cultures. One time a manager gave me an ignorant look when I started talking about Indian culture during lunch.

Like I said above, this company needs to work on their diversity.

Strong financially but needs to be more employee focused.

Former Employee - Sale Consultant in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Sale Consultant in San Diego, CA

I worked at The Hartford full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The positive was that you can work remotely from home. Benefits were great with 15 vacation right off the bat. Company offered competitve medical and dental plans as well as 401k matching and Employee stock purchase plan.

Cons

I work in a call center environment. The company is solid but if you are looking for good pay and advancement this is not the place. This is the only company I know who base your performance on how long you talk on the phone and base the quality of your work on whether or not you reviewed notes before answering the clients question and whether or not you asked another rep if they are transferring a call to you .. like come on.. you can do everything correct in terms making the correct financial decisions yet get a low score just because you forgot to say thank you. They are a walking contradiction.. they want you to make the client feel warm and fuzzy but do so in under 5 minutes. As for wage.. don't expect to make $40,000 even after 6 years on the job. The only redeeming thing about working her is that you can work from home which was more or less a cost cutting measure vs a perk. I would also like to add that the turnover is very high. Back in 2006 to 2008 the company was hiring alot of new employees mainly for sales and service. I would say that more than 70% of those hired during that time have either quit or been let go. I would recommend this to a recent college graduate to get their feet wet but after 3 years move on. I was there 6 years and have overstayed mainly because i can work from home.

Do a better job with employee engagement and development.