The Hartford Reviews

Reset
3.3
The Hartford CEO Christopher Swift
Christopher Swift

Pros
  • good work - life balance - many times you could work from home when needed (in 70 reviews)

• Work from home ability is very nice (in 46 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance doesn't mean working from home is a good thing in many cases (in 34 reviews)

• Call center metrics can be a challenged (in 23 reviews)

1. CRS

Current Employee - CRS in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - CRS in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at The Hartford

Pros

good for getting experience in insurance and just having a job in general 9-5 so convient for weekend trips

Cons

heavy workload with poor work life balance back to back calls and they baby sit you, barely any time for breaks and no cell phones allowed

Advice to Management

be better leaders instead of metric watchers

Iconic company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at The Hartford full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Outstanding culture, solid values, and performance oriented environment. Positively transformed itself into a progressive, highly capable company

Cons

None that I can think of right now

3. hig

I have been working at The Hartford full-time

Pros

awesome company, great benefits, smart people

Cons

not at this time comment

5. Good

Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at The Hartford (Less than a year)

Pros

Good it is very engaging. I have loved working here and will continue to do so

Cons

Good I really have no complaints. I enjoy the job and that is that

Good

Best Job I've Ever Had

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hartford, CT

I have been working at The Hartford full-time

Pros

The company maintains high ethics and the executives running the company are good people. People are generally happy that work there. Pay is fair, benefits are good even though they have been trimmed back in recent years. They value work-life balance and good employees. One of the few companies I know of to give employees free parking in downtown.

Cons

Sometimes I work long hours, but that's due to my role. Some employees have been there a long time and are resistant to change.

Advice to Management

Continue to value good employees.

Wow! Amazing Experience so Far!

Current Employee - Associate Claim Representative/Inside Auto Adjuster in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at The Hartford full-time

Pros

Amazing Culture!! Very friendly, welcoming, and supportive!! Excellent benefits! Salaries that are displayed on some of the employment websites are below what they actually pay. They are competitive and place a strong emphasis on retaining excellent employees! Not only customer centered, but also a focus on training and retaining good employees. They value employee's opinions and have a specific program designed especially to encourage employees to share innovative ideas to help improve all areas of the company. The company is growing and changing rapidly. Opportunities to advance and grow into other areas of interest are frequently mentioned. There are many employees who have been there for 10+ years, most starting out in an entry level position. All speak very highly of the company, and are clearly proud to be long time employees. The company also embraces diversity and actively engage in programs designed to help local communities. I have only been there a couple months, but am incredibly impressed with what I have experienced so far! I was leery about changing to this career field at first, but I am so grateful that I made the jump. Many of the entry level jobs I had been looking at were clearly focused on hiring kids right out of college. This company is committed to hiring those whom they feel will benefit The Hartford, regardless of age.

Cons

There is a lot of new information that comes to you all at once when starting out. It's pretty overwhelming. (But there is a lot of support from other team members.) It's really difficult to say anything negative at this point!

Environment

I worked at The Hartford

Pros

Great place to work! Feels like a 'family' and is very welcoming

Cons

Expense cut-backs and elimination of positions frequently.

9. GRC Consultant /PM

Former Employee - Internal GRC Consultant/Project Manager in Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Internal GRC Consultant/Project Manager in Hartford, CT

I worked at The Hartford (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good environment. Awesome people to work with. Good initiatives

Cons

Very cautious adopters of technology solution

Advice to Management

Awesome job on the make over and ramp of the HIG service... Come back has been excellent... Kudos to the management for taking the necessary steps to turn the company over into positive mode

More cons than pros

Former Employee - Claim Representative in Syracuse, NY
    Former Employee - Claim Representative in Syracuse, NY

I worked at The Hartford full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, bountiful advancement opportunities, country-wide locations, ample paid time off

Cons

Heavy work load (7-10 new claims per day), poor organization (when team members are out, their work gets piled on top of yours with your already high case load), poor performance measurement (misleading surveys sent to customers in regards to how their "experience with the Hartford" went. The company doesn't want anything below a 9 or 10. If you get one 1-6 score, you need six 9-10 surveys to make up for it. The surveys are too vague and don't mention that they affect the claims reps in general when the survey only discusses the company as a whole. I have had surveys that have had nothing to do with me such as "underwriting didn't renew my policy" or "customer service referred me to a provider who is no longer practicing." When these issues were brought up to management, they turned it around on me and said I was the face of the claim and should be responsible for checking to see that the customers are happy with all aspects. If you get anything below a 9, your results are shared with almost everyone and you have to write these ridiculous write-ups as to what you did wrong and how you can improve, too many meetings (I would have days where I had several hours of meetings which took away from my time to be productive. Half of the time, the meetings had nothing to do with what I was doing), high turnover rate (It seemed that people were leaving every few weeks)

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees as they are the front of the line, hire more people so that others don't get burnt out very quickly, find ways of measuring performance that are more representative to people's actual work products

good

Former Employee - Texas in Frisco, TX
    Former Employee - Texas in Frisco, TX

I worked at The Hartford full-time

Pros

This is a high morale field sales office. They place a value on learning. The cubicle setup gives you your space & the comraderie at the office will certainly lead to friendtly interaction over the walls. Worth looking into.

Cons

Should have explored more career opportunities within organization. The office has big turnover, so be prepared to be in contact with colleagues as they move careers

Advice to Management

Continue the inclusive behavior with all cultures. Continue welcoming & celebrating festivals/observances of all cultures in office

RSS Feed </> Embed