The Hartford Reviews

Reset
3.3
The Hartford CEO Christopher Swift
Christopher Swift

Pros
  • good work - life balance - many times you could work from home when needed (in 70 reviews)

• Work from home ability is very nice (in 46 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance doesn't mean working from home is a good thing in many cases (in 34 reviews)

• Call center metrics can be a challenged (in 23 reviews)

Avoid if you can.

Current Employee - Senior Compliance Specialist in Simsbury, CT
    Current Employee - Senior Compliance Specialist in Simsbury, CT

I have been working at The Hartford

Pros

It beats starvation and homelessness.

Cons

No meaningful opportunity for advancement unless you were brought in already on a fast track, or are entering from a competitor. Internal growth and advancement is very rare and personal development is not supported by management. Atmosphere is ripe with suspicion and an overall lack of concern with the morale of employees. Lip service is often paid to having a develop oriented personnel program, but this goal to the extent it exists is generally negated by management. Middle management tends to be redundant and consequentially fiercely overprotective of their little fiefdoms, which again acts as significant impediment to training opportunities or exposure to new development tasks.

Advice to Management

Develop policies of more open communciations and foster opportunities for professional and career growth.

Only good to get experience and get OUT. Not a place to have a career.

I worked at The Hartford

Pros

Not a bad starting place in the industry - other employers still respect experience attained from being employed by them.

Cons

Lower compensation than most (if not all) other major industry players, difficult to find opportunities for advancement, poor benefits package, low employee morale, lack of respect given to employees, feedback from employees unappreciated. Very much a "do your time and get out" kind of company.

Advice to Management

Start by bolstering your workforce's morale, then begin to rebuild your customer base and your industry position. You've lost competitive advantage by being too conservative in some areas and not conservative enough in others.

Once upon a time, this place had the makings to be something great....

Former Employee - Claims Adjuster in Farmington, CT
    Former Employee - Claims Adjuster in Farmington, CT

I worked at The Hartford

Pros

Your co-workers are what make working for this company tolerable. I made some life-long friends here. There is a true sense of team work and helping one another "survive" on a day-to-day basis.

Cons

Management does not clearly communicate what they expect from you and from your team/or unit. You are constantly being bombarded with mixed signals from all levels of the food-chain and no matter what you do, SOMEONE is going to tell you it's wrong because it was not how THEY told you to do it. There is a lot of nepotism as well. The Hartford talks about work-life balance, but they do not uphold this.

Advice to Management

Everyone should be on the same page, get goals and objectives lined up and clearly communicate this to your staff.

No work life balance.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at The Hartford

Pros

Work from home opportunities, flexible scheduling, career advancement opportunities. Extensive training is offered to those new to the company (about 1 month of training).

Cons

Far too much emphasis is placed on "getting the work done at any cost." Overtime is pretty much a guarantee just to survive. If you do survive, your workload gets bumped and your just expected to do more. There is no personal aspect with this position. You're a cog in the "big machine." Systems are outdated and are always being revamped.

Advice to Management

The size of workloads need to be reduced and there needs to be a limit on the amount of hours anyone is expected to work. Salary positions should not mean working off the clock.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Washington, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Washington, PA

I have been working at The Hartford

Pros

the money thats the only thing and if you have no life the hours are great, like really no life

Cons

You have to kiss butt to get the job, they send you on a run around it is really a waste of time and energy...

Advice to Management

Run your business better then maybe just maybe you'll have last complains, and no offense hire people who speak english

Too Many People in Upper Management Positions-

I worked at The Hartford

Pros

Nice new building. Large company now getting back on it's feet. Good to see that a company of this size can come back from where is was a couple of years ago.

Cons

People are overworked. Some employees are constantly making mistakes, yet are still there. Sometimes the same one's. There's too much favoritism. The talk about accountability, yet it's not enforced with certain employees. Too many reorganizations where managers and employees are shifted around constantly or laid off. Some coworkers are either on the internet all day or on their cell phones, or not even at their desk, yet they get away with it. I was forced out . They told me I was under a "training program" ya right. They didn't mention it was a training program to get rid of me. I could see the writing on the wall beforehand but was in denial. One co worker moved out of state and was allowed to keep her job, but didn't go out of her way to complete the work and no one said anything, she's still there and I'm not. She just did what she felt like doing, and she was on salary, but never went above and beyond. I was never properly trained and was in this position for 3 years. There are no training manuals. Work is inconsistent between team members. One team member created her own check list. 2 of my co workers were signed up by my manager for a new software training class, but I wasn't, with no reason, I had to ask why. There were some days where my team had no work, yet 2 new people were hired before I left. Expectations set are out of reach. The good workers are ignored. The manager I had would walk, no run by once in a while with his head down. Didn't have a clue what I and my 2 team mates did and didn't want to. I once was told that I couldn't go to an out of state family wedding/vacation for 1 week-fortunately I was able to work remotely, but was only needed for a couple of hours 1 day! This was on MY personal laptop. 2 years later, the new management took the remote access away from me. Medical and Dental Benefits aren't that great. They do have a group that does team building exercises, participation is limited.

Advice to Management

Slow down, get to know the employees that work for you. Too much time is taken up in meeting after meeting. There's no "bonding". Stop the favoritism. Allow other to work remotely, not just a chosen few.

Terrible Environment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Florham Park, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Florham Park, NJ

I have been working at The Hartford

Pros

The hours are flexible and the workload is light. Most people are friendly and since the work is mindless, there is really no stress at all.

Cons

This is the worst possible position for anybody interested in learning and advancing their career. Everyone is miserable and the management micro-manages and treats people like they are children.

Advice to Management

Have some level of faith in your employees. The competent employees should not be treated as children because management has made bad hiring decisions in many cases.

n/a

Current Employee - Abilit Analyst in Alpharetta, GA
    Current Employee - Abilit Analyst in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at The Hartford

Pros

n/a n/a n/a n/a n/a

Cons

there are several downsides not at liberty to say

Advice to Management

to try and be more flexible and participate in the actual workload

HANG IN THERE IF YOU MUST! Great Company but poor leaders

Current Employee - Claims in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Claims in Tampa, FL

I have been working at The Hartford

Pros

benefits,talented and dedicated coworkers, telecommuting available

Cons

poor leadership, "be happy you have a job in this economy" is what they preach. Leaders do not care about you. Lots of internal politics, favoritism, circle of friends are promoted rather than talents, different leaders have different expectations so no matter what you do someone will have an issue with it, workers unhappy, miss 7 days, you're fired, be below their subjective "below average" review. you're written up. You could "meet expectations" today then become "below average tomorrow" depending on who reviews your files.

Advice to Management

consistency, transparency, clear direction from leadership and no partiality

Go elsewhere. Continues to downward spiral. Not an employer of choice any more

Current Employee - Team Leader in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Nashville, TN

I have been working at The Hartford

Pros

Generous compensation package. Pension plan.

Cons

Absolutely no work life balance. Wage package is not competitive.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better. A mass exodus is very likely when the economy improves due to employee dissatisfaction. If you are going to spend money doing employee surveys, take a look at what they reveal and make it better.

RSS Feed </> Embed