The Hartford

The Hartford Reviews

Updated Jul 29, 2014

The Hartford CEO Christopher Swift

Christopher Swift

Pros
  • good work - life balance - many times you could work from home when needed (in 55 reviews)

• Work from home option can be available after a year or two also (in 37 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance doesn't mean working from home is a good thing in many cases (in 30 reviews)

• It's best to start out in the call center but then move on from it after no more than 2 years (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

This company has no respect for it's employees

Senior Sales Representative (Current Employee) Allentown, PA

ProsThe ability to work from home.

ConsA lot of work for very little money

Advice to Senior ManagementStart trying to think of your employees as people instead of numbers

Your are not a person, your a number.

Specialized Service Representative (Former Employee) New Hartford, NY

ProsStandard 9 to 5 business which is very nice. Consistent work schedule and a lot of paid time off. Decent training experience.

ConsBusiness focus lacks some morals and ethics. Focus on pushing numbers. You are a number not a person. Will try and push you into a telemarketing type of position.

Chief Underwriter Group Benefits

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe first 15 years were great! There used to be great training programs and I was promoted every year. It was my first employer out if college and thought it would be my last.

ConsHuge changes and new management styles on 2013. They're facing huge budget cuts and are replacing top talent with lower paid employees. They're in a serious downsizing mode with a business model to raise rates and price themselves out of the market.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep people that are dedicated to the company because they're hard to find. Don't invest years of time and money to train employees and then give up.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Analyst

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCompany good to work for you get a good amount of PTO for a beginning employee and it offers remote work.

ConsWorked 32 years for this company. They laid me of by shipping my job to India. I retired due to my years of service and they gave me NOTHING for my retirement!!!!

Culture where people are simply rude and cut throat

IT Specialist (Former Employee) Hartford, CT

ProsPay (Until your position is outsourced which is inevitable)

ConsHigh turnover, jobs are constantly being eliminated. It's not worth the money to have your character defamed daily by Management and peers. The Hartford also has a horrid reputation from customers. Take a second and review their public Facebook page.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are killing your company

Stay away

Finance (Current Employee) Hartford, CT

ProsUsed to be a great company but the current regime manages for the next earnings release. Nothing good to say about this company anymore.

ConsLiam's mission/vision statement says all you need to know about this company. Nothing but severe cost cutting is going on. There is no direction or strategy to grow the company. Employees are treated with disdain and are nothing but an expense to management. If this regime has its way there will be nothing left but outsourced offshore vendors and senior management. Absolutely no work/life balance in Finance with very limited career advancement opportunities. Optics and politics have trumped sound long term business decisions. Current regime is either inept or setting up for a buyout.

Advice to Senior ManagementShift focus now to growth and develop a viable strategic vision. The cost cutting well has run dry and sapped morale to all time lows. Invest in technology and promote innovation. Forget about the daily stock price movement and instead manage the businesses for the long term.

Management does not value employees

ProsThe Hartford is a stable company compared to other insurance carriers.

Cons-management
    -work life balance
    -poor compensation
    -do not trust employees
    -poor culture

Don't relocate to join The Hartford unless you want to be stranded after a year

Middle Management (Former Employee) Hartford, CT

ProsThe company itself is going in the right direction by abandoning non-core businesses and focusing on property/casualty only. Group Benefits is likely the next to go.

ConsI relocated to Hartford to work for the company and was let go within 18 months. I am no slouch; I have been rated at the highest level in 20 of my 22 professional performance reviews. I am the third person living in this house in four years who has to sell (at a loss) and move because of The Hartford.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't relocate people to the area unless you are going to make a solid commitment to them. Don't rely solely on the judgment of middle management; try to learn the situation and judge for yourself.

Overworked, crappy managment, and too many usless processes

Auto Claim Representative (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsI liked my employees that I worked with. The Hartford is stable company as a whole being around for a long time. There is a decent amount of movement.

ConsToo much work, managers don't do their job and often throw employees under the bus to customers. They create more processes to give you more unnecessary work. A lot of favoritism and unfairness in the office. If they don’t like you even if your are performing well they will do whatever they can to push you out. I have seen it happen to a lot of employees. The upper management makes big job altering decisions with training and work process and doesn’t consider the employees time. The worst training I have ever received. They hassle you to give them a good employee survey stating that if you rate them bad then your rating yourself bad and not to complain about things. A manager actually told me to my face you don’t get to have an opinion.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake the employee complaints seriously. I complained to HR and Employee relations and I felt completely ignored.

A Nightmare!!!!

ProsGood benefits, generous vacation time

ConsPoor, unethical & unfair leaders for the most part. Most have no clue about what they're doing or saying. There is a lot of inconsistency. You are a number not a person so you do not matter. Your hard work is not appreciated. High turnover...low morale...Many workers have to take Xanax to deal with the extreme stress.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire all managers and supervisors in Tampa at once and hire and train new business graduates to manage- Show appreciation from your workers; they'll have more work done and less will be ill from stress.

Worked for The Hartford? Contribute to the Community!