The Hartford

Updated November 26, 2014
3.1

The Hartford CEO Christopher Swift
Christopher Swift

Pros
  • good work - life balance - many times you could work from home when needed (in 70 reviews)

• Benefits are above par, ability to work from home occasionally is a plus (in 46 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance doesn't mean working from home is a good thing in many cases (in 34 reviews)

• If you're in a call center, good luck getting your time off approved (in 23 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to work

I have been working at The Hartford full-time

Pros

Work life balance is great

Cons

Lower than average salaries for industry

Retain talent by means of compensation.

Good company to work for

Current Employee - Senior Research Analyst in Simsbury, CT
    Current Employee - Senior Research Analyst in Simsbury, CT

I have been working at The Hartford full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Been here for two years and I like the company culture well. There are lot of groups and activities you can participate and get to know other colleagues through various ways.

Cons

The executive level change is too frequently.

Good benefits for call center

Current Employee - Premium Auditor in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Premium Auditor in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at The Hartford full-time

Pros

good pay, good hours mon-fri, laid back environment, overall great company to work for, managers are really nice and welcoming

Cons

irate customers sometimes, 30 minute lunches, managers not in office(virtual), training could be a little longer to get to know the job a bit more

none

It was great helping our customers but the consistently over-heavy work load made a very satisfying job too stressful.

Former Employee - Claims Representative in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Claims Representative in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at The Hartford full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

good compensation package and good ppl to work with

Cons

unreasonable work loads...but don't let the customer service slip! but they tell you they are over model so you would look incompetent to say you are struggling. I know people who start working at ridiculous hours and work to ridiculous hours afraid to say anything. Have experienced myself and saw all over.

I know the nature of claims can be crazy and unknown with highs and lows but recognizing your employees are overworked and staffing so this is not the case on a regular basis you will not lose so many people. they will be much happier not having to consistently work more then their 40 hours and customer service, morale -everything would be much better!

It's like jail. Homeless drug addicts have more freedom than Call Center Reps.

Current Employee - Call Center, Customer Service Representative in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at The Hartford full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You get three weeks off, and can buy a fourth week. They give you so much time off because you will need it.

Cons

You are tethered to your chair for 7 hours a day. The only time you can get up from your chair is during two fifteen minute breaks and a thirty minute lunch. If you leave your desk for any other period of time, you will have to account for that time. My boss once told me that if he were still working on the phones (as opposed to being a manager), he just wouldn't take a bathroom break, meaning we (the employees) shouldn't take bathroom breaks.
    The customers who call in are mean and angry as a rule. The nice customers are the exception. Keep in mind, that people hate insurance companies and when they call in to customer service, they have a problem that needs to be fixed, so that makes for a negative combination.
    The call volume is high, so you're dealing with angry people back to back to back.
    There are barely any advancement opportunities. When I worked there, people who trained me and who had worked there for years and years still were on the phones.
    You have no control over your job or what you do in the 8 hours you have to be there.
    Oh, and a substantial amount of people who work there are obese because the job is so sedentary and unhealthy.

No advice to management because management does not care.

Laid back environment, okay entry level positions if your undecided on your career. Claims is a routine department.

Former Employee - Claims Intern in Aurora, IL
    Former Employee - Claims Intern in Aurora, IL

I worked at The Hartford as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Work life balance, company culture, work life balance, great people, opportunity for advancement, measurable performance, PTO, pay is average, tuition reimbursement.

Cons

irate claimants, research claims handlers duties before accepting position, tuition reimbursement is only up to 6K.

Great job in making everyone feel involved, need more initiative to stay in claims.

The Hartford Annuity

Current Employee - Senior Service Specialist in Windsor, CT
    Current Employee - Senior Service Specialist in Windsor, CT

I have been working at The Hartford full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Option to work remote, ok benefits, great time off. Pay is low but in line with the industry. The company is moving in a different direction with investments but the property side has more opportunities.

Cons

Rigid call center environment. Recognition isn't great. You do your job and go home.

Flexibile breaks and lunches.

Worked in the call center environment for Agency and AARP members.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Santee, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Santee, CA

I worked at The Hartford full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

A Good Work Environment. Wonderful benefits. If one desires to work from home this is a great job.

Cons

If one is not aware of the amount of calls that are taken in the center, this may not be the job for you. Will be moving out of California soon

A great company to work for

Always looking to get better and improve the customer experience.

I have been working at The Hartford full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great History, Relationship with AARP, Customer driven

Cons

Lots of movement in upper management. They start an initiative and someone new comes in and drops that one and starts another.

Decent Benefits, Terrible Management

Current Employee - Claim Representative in Aurora, IL
    Current Employee - Claim Representative in Aurora, IL

I have been working at The Hartford full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good 401k match, 19 PTO days if you start in January, Nice co-workers

Cons

Management has absolutely no idea what they are doing. They lay off those who have worked there forever, and overwork newbies. Their hiring scale is WAY off. When half my department quit they only brought on 3 new hires (who still had to go through 2-6 weeks of training) and in extreme cases, put new people in the system before they've even been trained. It's voted the most ethical company but the question that gets us those votes is the most unethical question in the world. They tell us to lie to customers and tell them the survey question is based on our customer service to them, but in reality the question reads "on a scale of 1-10 how likely are you to refer The Hartford to someone you know"? NOTHING about customer service, but the scores go against the claim reps. Also, when half the department quit, they told management the reasons why they left, and multiple people complained about the attrition. To which management still refused to do something about it. Upon hire, they tell you that if you wish to work in another department/field within the company you can, that is a lie. They don't want you to leave claims, no matter how hard you try. And it's EXTREMELY political. The second management decides they don't want you there, they make sure to get rid of you based on anything--despite high customer service and quality scores. If you work in the Catastrophe department, be prepared to work from 7am-7pm monday through saturday (and even longer if you don't want to get on their bad side)--and the CAT PAY is taxed like a bonus, so you're really only getting an additional $10/hr, if that, instead of time and a half if you were hourly, which you won't be. If you work in Central Property it's not much better. If you get hired I suggest you keep your eyes open for other opportunities outside the company ASAP.

Hire the amount of people you need for the busy summer season in January so that the employees are properly staffed in the summer when it's needed the most instead of constantly trying to play catch up with the attrition. Be proactive instead of reactive.