The Hartford

The Hartford Reviews

Updated Jul 31, 2014

The Hartford CEO Christopher Swift

Christopher Swift

Pros
  • good work - life balance - many times you could work from home when needed (in 55 reviews)

• Work from home option can be available after a year or two also (in 37 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance doesn't mean working from home is a good thing in many cases (in 30 reviews)

• It's best to start out in the call center but then move on from it after no more than 2 years (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

Few opportunities to advance. Disconnect growing as more staff moves to remove work and virtual teams.

Business Analyst (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsBenefits and flexible work IF you are salaried. Remote work.

ConsInability to take time off. Lack of development time. Conflicting goals and too rigid in reacting to changes. Lots of cronyism and territory wars. Systems are old and unstable. Pay is below average. Leadership development opportunities end up looking like the good old boys network!

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop your employees. You talk the talk with ERGs and diversity but if you are a white female over 35 you are not going to progress!

Here's your headset and cubicle, have fun...

Associate Claim Representative (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsThe work/life balance is good. As long as you put in your 40+ hours a week, you are in good graces. I was able to be in the office at 7am and be getting in my car by 4pm. Co-workers are extremely helpful and nice. The dress code was very very relaxed... considering your only interaction with clients is over the phone, you were perfectly fine wearing khakis, and a polo. Pay is okay if you're coming right out of college. $20/hr or $40,000/yr.

ConsIf you're at the Phoenix, AZ office and live in the east valley, the commute to work can be awful. I was driving round trip 60+ miles each day which was not ideal. The atmosphere is kind of like a grave. Everyone is just on a headset all day. Cubicles were spacious, if that's your type of thing. And last but not least, if you stay in the insurance world for 5 or more years, expect to live out your working life in the insurance industry. Most people their have been there for 15+ years doing the same job. Do yourself a favor, go back to school at get an actual SERIOUS quantitative degree and go make some cash doing what you love.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep those shareholders happy!

Learned a lot about a financial services company from the perspective of Life Annuities segment to P&C.

Director, Finance (Current Employee) Hartford, CT

ProsRewarding experience to work at a financial services company.

ConsQuality of work and home balance is very poor.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to grow the business either thru acquisitions or revenue.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Intern

ProsLove the work! awesome people!

ConsThe pay could be better

Gave me a good background

Sales Associate (Former Employee)

ProsGood training, great employees,always instilling a goal to strive towards, helpful mentors and coaching sessions during and after academy

ConsThe Times of shift, once on the phones little interaction with people other than potential insureds,potential to get yelled at by people calling

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company provided great training and really strived to help us improve, I didn't have a background in insurance or risk management but after the time I spent in sales academy and training for my state license I felt confident in what I knew.

It was a great company before the financial crisis.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBefore the crisis hit there were lots of opportunities to advance and the leadership was strong.

ConsAfter the crisis hit things went south in a hurry and they had difficulty dealing with the new environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep a close eye on the potential business risk.

Cons outweigh pros

Varied (Former Employee)

ProsWork-at-home availability, good health benefits if you can afford or need them, paid time off if you can schedule it, more than minimum wage

ConsExtreme disorganization and mismanagement, inconsistent and incomplete policies and procedures, confusion over correct workflows between departments, outdated technology, poor scheduling and anticipation of customer needs (results in constant outsourcing, overtime, and denied vacation requests), constantly putting out fires while simultaneously wasting time redecorating the broken fire extinguishers, no true HR department, highly questionable decision-making (especially when addressing internal errors that cost the company money)

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to put people before profits whenever it's the right thing to do.

Great place to work - really invested in people, shame it had to pull back it's international expansion

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood pay and benefits, good promotion prospects and access to senior leaders. Strong brand and great vision / direction

ConsFinancial crisis really hit the company so hard it may never recover. Matrixed organisation was challenging to work within.

Great place!

Inside Sales Agent (Current Employee) Southington, CT

ProsPTO, great and nice people, fun times. good work from home ability, good hours, good benefits. good systems, easy to sell

ConsNo money, boring, crazy people to work with and talk on phones with, terrible scripts to follow, too much drama, no advancement

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more $$$

Stale, old fashioned, passive aggressive company - covered in dust

Assistant Vice President/Director (Former Employee) Hartford, CT

ProsIt's a great place to work because you'll have lots of horror stories to share with many other former Hartford employees at cocktail parties!

ConsTerrible, passive aggressive corporate culture. Miserable managers and executives and are angry that their stock has fallen from $103 a share (2007-2008) to current $35(2014) levels. Many are under water with their mortgages / home values in Connecticut and can't leave. Current executive team has not been able to "shock" the company and reinvigorate its business lines - even with large sell offs. The company has been moving from "life support" to "hospice" gradually over the past few years. Truly a company that has seen its glory days. Time to buy a coffin and hold the funeral - it's starting to stink!

Advice to Senior ManagementWake up! Same old same old ain't gonna get you nowhere! The company needs to purge itself of layers of "Kool aid drinking" staffers that guard against change. Not open to new ideas - or people from different corporate cultures. That place is chocking on its own red tape!

Worked for The Hartford? Contribute to the Community!