The Hartford Reviews

Updated April 17, 2015
750 reviews filtered by

1. A company with little diversity...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hartford, CT

I worked at The Hartford

Pros

1) A company that treats their women well. I had a coworker that went on maternity leave for six months and was able to come back and retain her manager position.
    2) Great internship program
    3) They pay their employees pretty well

Cons

I'm a monority woman, and during my time there I was probably one of the three monority women on my floor (probably one out of 10 in the eompany with more than 20,000 employees). They just rolled out a Diversity and Inclusion Program in 2012, but I haven't seen any improvements in diversity in the workplace yet. I feel like the managers that I have worked with were very color-blind - they aren't open to talking about different cultures. One time a manager gave me an ignorant look when I started talking about Indian culture during lunch.

Advice to Management

Like I said above, this company needs to work on their diversity.

2. Small Commercial Renewal Underwriter

Former Employee - Renewal Underwriter in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Renewal Underwriter in Charlotte, NC

I worked at The Hartford

Pros

Opportunity for personal growth, Opportunity to build skill sets needed for analytical jobs, employee relationships are positive, very helpful team members.

Cons

Unrealistic production goals, quality metrics are not consistently evaluated.

This place is a nightmare

I worked at The Hartford

Pros

I'm still thinking. I guess there's something but not coming to mind. Things are not what they appear.

Cons

Don't let them fool you, these people are always partying so yeah eventually you do work hard. Training was awful. Trainer was too busy gossiping and wasting time so a lot of training was cut out. Call coaches would gossip and tell stories about your classmates. Call coaches grade with their mood, not objectively. Made the mistake of asking for help, didn't get it. I should be sorry I'm not there anymore, but I'm just not.

Advice to Management

The real joke is on you. 90% of my class and classes after mine are completely miserable. Make training much more like the real experience.

Good place to work with good flexibility

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Windsor, CT
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Windsor, CT

I worked at The Hartford full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The pay, bonus, and time off structure is great. The culture is good.

Cons

The company was downsizing constantly.

Advice to Management

Focus on your employees and reduce offshoring

Great Compensation, Lousy Environment

Former Employee - Medical Bill Examiner in Syracuse, NY
    Former Employee - Medical Bill Examiner in Syracuse, NY

I worked at The Hartford full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The Hartford is very generous in its compensation policies. Starting pay was well about the market in Syracuse, their insurance and retirement packages are strong, and the PTO policy is exceedingly generous -- 19 days/year to start, 5 more after 3 years of service time, and the option to purchase another 5 over the course of the year with your benefits election.

Cons

They treat their employees like something they stepped in. Employee surveys are used as a tool to stamp out dissension rather than find ways to improve as an organization. Suggestions from the bottom were generally met with stern disapproval. The company has a strong preference for hiring experienced managers from outside, making it exceedingly difficult to move up within the company. You will need every bit of that generous PTO bank, too, as they will work you to the death for it. If you're salaried, expect to have to work as many make-up hours anyways. The common adage on the floor is that, "No day off goes unpunished."

They are also severely diluting their premium brand by attempting to trade on that while adopting cost-leader strategies. Their office tech is woefully out of date, as they consistently push for the lowest cost option. For example, when I was there in 2013, they finally updated to Windows 7 and Office 2007, only because Microsoft was no longer offering support for what they had. Their claims software is poorly managed, and they have lately taken to outsourcing as many functions as possible to off-shore business partners with vastly inferior quality standards. The result is deteriorating service levels, ever-increasing burdens on their internal staff to maintain quality while also correcting the voluminous errors from their off-shore partners, and an internal culture where everyone lives in constant fear that their department (and job) will be the next to be lost.

Advice to Management

Start respecting your people more and paying attention to the real quality of your product. You can't trade on your name forever. Greater opportunities to advance will prevent you from constantly having to replace your best talent.

Some of the most horrible executive managers I have worked with in 33 years in IS

Current Employee - Database Administrator in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Database Administrator in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at The Hartford full-time (more than a year)

Pros

None, a mistake to go there from day 1

Cons

While home recovering from a heart attack and by-pass surgery, I was told I was being fired because I had not been there long enough to be entitled to long-term disability. I was told this on a conference call with my wife also on the line. Suddenly someone on their said took them off the the line and they 'would allow me stay ...", our guess was the lawyers told them I would have a 7-figure law suit ready in a week. SLIME! I feel like I need a shower even talking about them

Advice to Management

Awful, horrible people. Shame on all of you.

8. Great coworkers no advancement

Former Employee - STD Claims Analyst in Windsor, CT
    Former Employee - STD Claims Analyst in Windsor, CT

I worked at The Hartford full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

great coworkers, nice time off, hours and flexibility to work at home

Cons

lack of advancement, micromanagement, management heavy, no support, bad technology

9. The Hartford

Former Employee - Senior Claims Adjuster
    Former Employee - Senior Claims Adjuster

I worked at The Hartford

Pros

Very organized and structured Insurance Company with fair salary and good retirement plan and benefits. The Hartford has a solid well respected reputation.

Cons

Work/Life balance can be challenging due to high case loads and expectations, but is manageable the majority of the time.

10. It was OK! UNTIL

Former Employee - Director in Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Director in Hartford, CT

I worked at The Hartford full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Love the people and had real good opportunities

Cons

THEN - they decided to out-source - Lost my job to India...

11. Ok

I have been working at The Hartford

Pros

People, people and people
    Benefits
    Office setting

Cons

Workloads and goal expectations
    Spin wheel culture