The Hartford Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

Stay away unless you are desperate

Former Employee - LTD Analyst in Rancho Cordova, CA
    Former Employee - LTD Analyst in Rancho Cordova, CA

I worked at The Hartford full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits, pay is decent.

Cons

Constant changes and inconsistent messages leading to low employee engagement, subjective claim quality reviews with extremely high expectations and little management support, slow to identify problems and implement solutions. Little to no incentive for career progression.

Advice to Management

Lead by example and openly support and recognize your staff.

How to turn a good company into one where everyone now wants "out"!

Current Employee - Director in Simsbury, CT
    Current Employee - Director in Simsbury, CT

I have been working at The Hartford full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Pre 2009: Great company, great employees. Post 2009: Penny pinching, scared employees

Cons

The following may seem too personal, but I just want to describe to prospective employees what they will experience. Therefore, I believe this review is entirely relevant, especially what you will read at the end. I am a retiree of the HIG. The current climate is much different since Liam McGee took over as president 4 years ago. He has sold off business units, laid off thousands of employees, and employees are always looking over their shoulders. I keep in touch with my former colleagues, and virtually all of them describe a "gloom and doom" atmosphere. The Hartford was a TARP company who received a substantial amount of money because of bad investments. Stock price (Which I help in my 401k) went from $106 to $3.33 in less than two months. I was one of the lucky ones who got out with losing just half my savings). Apparently, Mr McGee, a former banker, believes that almost all of their businesses could be run as transactions. This changed HIG's style from a company who used to give well thought-out advice to their customers to something a company that measured everything to the nanosecond. Believe me, NO employers were ever aware we were in financial trouble before the day it was announced. And no one thought the pain would be as tortuous. The problem was the way management implemented changes. There was virtually no communication to the ees about what was going to happen, until after it happened. Smart people being escorted out, Managers changed. It was completely heartless, much more than necessary. The morale of those left behind had degraded rapidly over what they saw, and to this day, there isn't a person there who isnt afraid of that tap on the shoulder. Here's one example: In the group department where I worked, THE HIG had just hired approximately 30 new sales trainees, half right out of college, half who left their old company to work for The HIG. Then, one day, a few months into their training period, they were all let go. I am sure that these people were shocked as many of them no doubt had turned down other offers before they started at HIG. The entire company, 99% of whom hadn't even met these people were aghast. It was just WRONG, and it turned out that that just set the stage for axes to start falling everywhere.

Advice to Management

As all stock held companies say, those stockholders were "owners" of the company. The other two areas of interest for most publicly traded companies, were "our customers", and only after them them, your own employees. Hartford looked at the stockholders ONLY, and did hatchet jobs on many of their long-time customers and sacked 10,000+ employees. Management really doesn't understand how this affects people and the quality of their work. Or maybe they do know - and didn't care. I worked there for 20 years and my memories are great. To see the battlefield destruction of what the new management left behind is so disheartened, even for someone like me who doesn't work there anymore. You were SO great, but now you're just an uncaring beast. No employee or client should ever, EVER, be treated the way you did. Liam, I don't know of a single employee, from the ranks to the upper management, who thinks you know what the heck you're doing. Confidence in you: None. I do realize thats thats the way of the world now, but for Christ sake, do it with class, and make sure those left behind feel wanted.

Working here is a nightmare

Current Employee - Claims Representative in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Claims Representative in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at The Hartford full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They offer lots of PTO, good insurance, short and long term disability for employees, set daytime hours.

Cons

-Horrific level of micromanaging - Unethical managment -Team leaders have total control, upper level managment is uninvolved and uninformed -Unrealistic expectations -Bullying and targeting by leadership -Outdated technology -Short Term Disability claims analysts are forced to take call center calls all day while feeing forced to meet unrealistic goals of managing their own claim work and no one sees this as a problem -Everything you do is watched and did I said MICROMANAGED? -Everyone in the office seems unhappy, discouraged and over worked -Little employee engagement -Poor opportunity for career progression I would recommend staying out of the Disability Claims departments. Other areas may be better.

Advice to Management

Back off the micromanaging, stop bullying, targeting and harassing employees. Stop firing people for your mistakes that you won't take responsibility for. Upper managers- take some of the power back from the team leaders. Wake up and smell the coffee. Be aware of what is going on under your nose.

Stagnant Career

Former Employee - Underwriter in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Underwriter in Charlotte, NC

I worked at The Hartford full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You can not get fired.

Cons

Culture of gossip, rather than a culture that fosters productivity. Above average productivity is rewarded with paltry bonuses and $25 gift cards. Pitiful. Managers have the moral equivalency of an average politician.

Advice to Management

Hang yourselves.

High stress, low pay, employees not important

Current Employee - Ability Analyst in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Ability Analyst in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at The Hartford full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexibility in work schedule and environment in most cases. Work at home is available.

Cons

While they want people to work in teams bonuses and raises are based on only how you perform against others. This seems to promote competition against others on your own team rather than getting people to work to a common goal. Customers are a focus but only after money. This is clear in their goals. The pay and benefits are below standard for the work expected. There is nothing to make this feel like a "family" it is a cold company. You will need to work overtime every week to do the expected job well but they don't want to give you the overtime.

Advice to Management

Focus on customers and employees and the financial will come. Give better pay and better benefits if you want less attrition. Stop pitting employees against one another. Management needs to work on making this a better company to work for. Stop placing all the ownership of employee satisfaction on the shoulders of the employees.

Orwellian Obedience

Current Employee - Inside Sales Agent in Southington, CT
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Agent in Southington, CT

I have been working at The Hartford full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Training, Licensing is Paid For

Cons

Everything else - Management, Development, Culture- All are a failure. I can't believe I wasted 2 years there. They lie to you when you apply saying that you can move to other departments, but the competition is so fierce that you have to spend 10 years on the phones before you get anything. The management is non-existent and you only get reviewed by the numbers. They don't care about you as a person and even complained to me because I used the bathroom too often (twice in one day) - I was told bathroom time is when I get my break not when I need to go. - true words from my manager. My boss was not available for irate customers -which there were tons of. You basically manage yourself and God forbid you ask a question of anybody. They won't answer you. Because they don't know - or don't want to say the wrong thing. Everything is wrong in this company and only getting worse, but I'm sure they will make a profit for years to come.

Advice to Management

I don't know what to say, I never met a single manager - above my boss. They just go from meeting to pointless meeting, but never ask for any feedback from employees.

Worst Employer In The World

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Allentown, PA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Allentown, PA

I have been working at The Hartford full-time (More than a year)

Pros

NO Pros only cons and more cons

Cons

Beware, this company has a very high turn over rate which is why they have hiring classes every other month. What they are doing is hiring people at a low salary and then once they reach a higher salary they are firing lots of employees. They try to get the employees to resign before they fire them so that you can not sue them. If you don't resign and they fire you they attempt to fight your unemployment so that you can not collect. Right now they are firing in bulk. If your ok with a temp job then go for it but this is definitely not long term.

A Nightmare!!!!

I have been working at The Hartford

Pros

Good benefits, generous vacation time

Cons

Poor, unethical & unfair leaders for the most part. Most have no clue about what they're doing or saying. There is a lot of inconsistency. You are a number not a person so you do not matter. Your hard work is not appreciated. High turnover...low morale...Many workers have to take Xanax to deal with the extreme stress.

Advice to Management

Fire all managers and supervisors in Tampa at once and hire and train new business graduates to manage- Show appreciation from your workers; they'll have more work done and less will be ill from stress.

Overworked, crappy managment, and too many usless processes

Current Employee - Auto Claim Representative in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Auto Claim Representative in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at The Hartford full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I liked my employees that I worked with. The Hartford is stable company as a whole being around for a long time. There is a decent amount of movement.

Cons

Too much work, managers don't do their job and often throw employees under the bus to customers. They create more processes to give you more unnecessary work. A lot of favoritism and unfairness in the office. If they don’t like you even if your are performing well they will do whatever they can to push you out. I have seen it happen to a lot of employees. The upper management makes big job altering decisions with training and work process and doesn’t consider the employees time. The worst training I have ever received. They hassle you to give them a good employee survey stating that if you rate them bad then your rating yourself bad and not to complain about things. A manager actually told me to my face you don’t get to have an opinion.

Advice to Management

Take the employee complaints seriously. I complained to HR and Employee relations and I felt completely ignored.

Don't relocate to join The Hartford unless you want to be stranded after a year

Former Employee - Middle Management in Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Middle Management in Hartford, CT

I worked at The Hartford full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company itself is going in the right direction by abandoning non-core businesses and focusing on property/casualty only. Group Benefits is likely the next to go.

Cons

I relocated to Hartford to work for the company and was let go within 18 months. I am no slouch; I have been rated at the highest level in 20 of my 22 professional performance reviews. I am the third person living in this house in four years who has to sell (at a loss) and move because of The Hartford.

Advice to Management

Don't relocate people to the area unless you are going to make a solid commitment to them. Don't rely solely on the judgment of middle management; try to learn the situation and judge for yourself.

RSS Feed </> Embed