The Hartford

Updated December 17, 2014
3.2

The Hartford CEO Christopher Swift
Christopher Swift

Pros
  • good work - life balance - many times you could work from home when needed (in 70 reviews)

• Benefits are above par, ability to work from home occasionally is a plus (in 46 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance doesn't mean working from home is a good thing in many cases (in 34 reviews)

• If you're in a call center, good luck getting your time off approved (in 23 reviews)

More Highlights

High stress, low pay, employees not important

Current Employee - Ability Analyst in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Ability Analyst in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at The Hartford full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexibility in work schedule and environment in most cases. Work at home is available.

Cons

While they want people to work in teams bonuses and raises are based on only how you perform against others. This seems to promote competition against others on your own team rather than getting people to work to a common goal. Customers are a focus but only after money. This is clear in their goals. The pay and benefits are below standard for the work expected. There is nothing to make this feel like a "family" it is a cold company. You will need to work overtime every week to do the expected job well but they don't want to give you the overtime.

Focus on customers and employees and the financial will come. Give better pay and better benefits if you want less attrition. Stop pitting employees against one another. Management needs to work on making this a better company to work for. Stop placing all the ownership of employee satisfaction on the shoulders of the employees.

Stagnant Career

Former Employee - Underwriter in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Underwriter in Charlotte, NC

I worked at The Hartford full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You can not get fired.

Cons

Culture of gossip, rather than a culture that fosters productivity. Above average productivity is rewarded with paltry bonuses and $25 gift cards. Pitiful. Managers have the moral equivalency of an average politician.

Hang yourselves.

Working here is a nightmare

Current Employee - Claims Representative in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Claims Representative in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at The Hartford full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They offer lots of PTO, good insurance, short and long term disability for employees, set daytime hours.

Cons

-Horrific level of micromanaging
    - Unethical managment
    -Team leaders have total control, upper level managment is uninvolved and uninformed
    -Unrealistic expectations
    -Bullying and targeting by leadership
    -Outdated technology
    -Short Term Disability claims analysts are forced to take call center calls all day while feeing forced to meet unrealistic goals of managing their own claim work and no one sees this as a problem
    -Everything you do is watched and did I said MICROMANAGED?
    -Everyone in the office seems unhappy, discouraged and over worked
    -Little employee engagement
    -Poor opportunity for career progression

I would recommend staying out of the Disability Claims departments. Other areas may be better.

Back off the micromanaging, stop bullying, targeting and harassing employees. Stop firing people for your mistakes that you won't take responsibility for. Upper managers- take some of the power back from the team leaders. Wake up and smell the coffee. Be aware of what is going on under your nose.

How to turn a good company into one where everyone now wants "out"!

Current Employee - Director in Simsbury, CT
    Current Employee - Director in Simsbury, CT

I have been working at The Hartford full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Pre 2009: Great company, great employees.
    Post 2009: Penny pinching, scared employees

Cons

The following may seem too personal, but I just want to describe to prospective employees what they will experience. Therefore, I believe this review is entirely relevant, especially what you will read at the end.

I am a retiree of the HIG. The current climate is much different since Liam McGee took over as president 4 years ago. He has sold off business units, laid off thousands of employees, and employees are always looking over their shoulders. I keep in touch with my former colleagues, and virtually all of them describe a "gloom and doom" atmosphere. The Hartford was a TARP company who received a substantial amount of money because of bad investments. Stock price (Which I help in my 401k) went from $106 to $3.33 in less than two months. I was one of the lucky ones who got out with losing just half my savings). Apparently, Mr McGee, a former banker, believes that almost all of their businesses could be run as transactions. This changed HIG's style from a company who used to give well thought-out advice to their customers to something a company that measured everything to the nanosecond. Believe me, NO employers were ever aware we were in financial trouble before the day it was announced. And no one thought the pain would be as tortuous. The problem was the way management implemented changes. There was virtually no communication to the ees about what was going to happen, until after it happened. Smart people being escorted out, Managers changed. It was completely heartless, much more than necessary. The morale of those left behind had degraded rapidly over what they saw, and to this day, there isn't a person there who isnt afraid of that tap on the shoulder. Here's one example: In the group department where I worked, THE HIG had just hired approximately 30 new sales trainees, half right out of college, half who left their old company to work for The HIG. Then, one day, a few months into their training period, they were all let go. I am sure that these people were shocked as many of them no doubt had turned down other offers before they started at HIG. The entire company, 99% of whom hadn't even met these people were aghast. It was just WRONG, and it turned out that that just set the stage for axes to start falling everywhere.

As all stock held companies say, those stockholders were "owners" of the company. The other two areas of interest for most publicly traded companies, were "our customers", and only after them them, your own employees. Hartford looked at the stockholders ONLY, and did hatchet jobs on many of their long-time customers and sacked 10,000+ employees. Management really doesn't understand how this affects people and the quality of their work. Or maybe they do know - and didn't care. I worked there for 20 years and my memories are great. To see the battlefield destruction of what the new management left behind is so disheartened, even for someone like me who doesn't work there anymore. You were SO great, but now you're just an uncaring beast. No employee or client should ever, EVER, be treated the way you did. Liam, I don't know of a single employee, from the ranks to the upper management, who thinks you know what the heck you're doing. Confidence in you: None.

I do realize thats thats the way of the world now, but for Christ sake, do it with class, and make sure those left behind feel wanted.

Stay away unless you are desperate

Former Employee - LTD Analyst in Rancho Cordova, CA
    Former Employee - LTD Analyst in Rancho Cordova, CA

I worked at The Hartford full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits, pay is decent.

Cons

Constant changes and inconsistent messages leading to low employee engagement, subjective claim quality reviews with extremely high expectations and little management support, slow to identify problems and implement solutions. Little to no incentive for career progression.

Lead by example and openly support and recognize your staff.

Beware the company in transition.

I worked at The Hartford full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I had some great moments with The Hartford; when the company was willing to take some risks there was a great chance to innovate. The sales force (esp mutual funds and annuities) were top-notch.

Cons

Senior management lacks vision and recently has been guided more by activist shareholders than real strategy. People who are lazy and refuse to take accountability can hide in the ranks. The performance review systems is a joke.

Constantly looking for answers, never finding any.

Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at The Hartford full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent benefits. The hours are flexible for the most part. They aren't quick to lay off typically.

Cons

The company seems very top-heavy with managers. Many departments seem purposefully under-staffed to try to squeeze as much as possible out of every employee. The company was sent into a tailspin a few years ago and it doesn't show signs of stopping. Upper management is constantly changing business practices with little or no feedback from those who actually do the work. Much of it is change for the sake of change and is usually poorly thought out and executed. Upper management doesn't seem to have an answer for anything.

Let the analysts and customer service employees slow down and actually help claimants. Hire more people. Reduce the process related clutter. The customer service will continue to decline until this is remedied.

YOUR CAREER IS EXPECTED TO LAST 2-7 YEARS ONLY

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Santee, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Santee, CA

I worked at The Hartford full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great at first. Great training. Great Salary. Great Benefits. Great co-workers.

Cons

Depending on your position, it is cheaper for them to re-hire and re-train, than to continue paying yearly raises, additional vacation pay, and, 100% vesting for 401k. They use psychological tactics, bullying, and mobbing practices by supervisors and managers designed to affect your work, and to make you leave, rather then let you go. , They will even withhold your work, or calls to make you fail. There are no laws to protect you from this behavior in the USA. If your in sales 5 -7years max, customer service, they expect 2 year attrition. for most, other wise 5-7 years. . Rating department seems a safe bet.

Hire by contract, therefore allowing employees to move on, rather than use bullying and psychological attacks on them causing them great distress and even PTSD.. Well documented in the UK, and, Australia.

Run!

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative

I worked at The Hartford full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Awesome coworkers and good amount of vacation time (much needed due to stress of this job)

Cons

No incentives. Other sites had time off phones to do goofy stupid things like flash mob..etc. All we ever got is you have to be on the phones no time for play. God forbid you had to go into unscheduled to go to the bathroom. that was closley looked at and you got a lovley message that you had stay that amount of time after your shift. However hey would constantly tell you that you had bathroom privlidges but do it on break or lunch (like that can be something you can control). The rack and stack method of measuring your performance is a joke. You can be meeting all your expected numbers but still lose your job because there are 20% of your peers that are doing well above those numbers) especially those who get paperwork all the time and really dont have any numbers to go by. these were the so called favorites. Lots of nepitisim and favoritism. Treat your customers like they are numbers and not elderly customers who really needed help understanding insurancef get them off the phone as quick as possible (who cared if they didnt understand) but then you get dinged whenever they call back in a rolling 30 day period! Job was basically based on if they called back withing 30 days and customer surveys which anything under a 10 basically brought you down. how many people will rate anything a 10! half of them didnt even know how to use the survey system and wound out giving people zeros instead( with no thought from management that these people didnt know how to use the system) Constantly micro managed to the point that I and a few other coworkers were put on anti anxiety meds.

Quit the micor management with managers who have little or no customer service experience. Bring back the old way thinking that the customer comes first before your un achievable numbers.

Poorly run company

Current Employee - Claims Analyst in Bloomington, MN
    Current Employee - Claims Analyst in Bloomington, MN

I have been working at The Hartford full-time

Pros

Decent paying first job out of college, ok benefits

Cons

Too many middle and upper managers making bad business decisions

Only make changes that actually improve business. Don't make changes for the sake of change.