The Hartford

Updated January 28, 2015
3.2

The Hartford CEO Christopher Swift
Christopher Swift

Pros
  • good work - life balance - many times you could work from home when needed (in 70 reviews)

• Benefits are above par, ability to work from home occasionally is a plus (in 46 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance doesn't mean working from home is a good thing in many cases (in 34 reviews)

• If you're in a call center, good luck getting your time off approved (in 23 reviews)

More Highlights

Laid off after less than a year

I worked at The Hartford full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Very difficult to have anything positive to say about this company. It is VERY VERY VERY old school. Very slow to move on anything, horrible communication between managers and little communication with employees. What is communicated is extremely filtered and makes everything look rosy when it's really not at all.

Cons

Don't bother working here unless you A. work in the state of Connecticut, B. are a pedigreed Connecticut blueblood or C., can deal with unemotional, egotistical and selfish people at all levels of the organization.

Ok Overall

Current Employee - Underwriter in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Underwriter in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at The Hartford (more than a year)

Pros

Pay is decent and you have the option to work from home once you have been there a while however they are selective on who can work from home. Generous PTO

Cons

High stress environment. They just changed the health benefits to CDHP high deductible
    Plans and they are not good. Lack of upward movement in regional offices as most upper management and opportunities are in Hartford only. Upper management seems out of touch. Departments do not work together well to get things accomplished

Make more opportunities for home office positions such as product development and marketing available in regional offices and service centers

Working for The Hartford was mediocre, but most jobs have pros and cons.

Former Employee - Customer Care Representative in Aurora, IL
    Former Employee - Customer Care Representative in Aurora, IL

I worked at The Hartford

Pros

The people, most of the people working there are very nice and do thir best to help out when they can.

Cons

Working in the call center can be very challenging, people say whatever they want to you and you have to just take it, the customers can be awful. Also the scheduling, if you take your break 10 minutes late you'll be hearing about it.

Give people more time after calls.

Associate claims representative - auto

Former Employee - Auto Claims Representative in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Auto Claims Representative in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at The Hartford full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great coworkers, casual attire and... That's pretty much it .

Cons

I should start by saying that I read a lot of reviews here before taking this job 2 years ago and they were definitely not as bad as they are now! In my interview this job was described as something really important, that you will be acting as an investigator and have many important responsibilities. Soon after I realized it's really just a call center job and your opinion on anything doesn't matter and you have no input. Everything is micromanages, the company lives by their precious metrics which are impossible to achieve with the workload we have.
    I have stressed so much over this job my first year that I had gotten my self physically sick and had to take medical leave, which they were of course not happy about. I had applies for 4 different positions within the company only to find myself rejected to all of them. Then, current RVP calls me for a talk to explain to me that I didn't get promoted because our PDO department is always understaffed! So... You can work as hard as you want, get yourself sick over it and still don't get promoted because the claims department is understaffed and they just can't take you out of it.
    Oh, to all the people saying you could work from home, FALSE! I have been begging for that for 2 years and have been rejected for any reason out there.
    I could continue this review but you get the gist. If you read all the other reviews here you understand that you should definitely stay away from the claims department at the Hartford.

None because they won't listen to small fish like us. I got another job and have never been happier in my life (it has nothing to do with claims)!

Not the best, but not terrible.

Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at The Hartford

Pros

The people are great! I love who I work with, everyone is very friendly and outgoing.

Cons

They don't give you all the training you need. They throw you into it and hide when there is a problem.

The claim volume is very high and sometimes uncontrollable. You have to push you team lead in order to get help.

You do not get paid enough to deal with everything.

upper management ignore everything the employees say. I have reached out numerous times and nothing has every turned around for my benefit or my peers.

Poorly run department.

Current Employee - Associate Claim Representative in Windsor, CT
    Current Employee - Associate Claim Representative in Windsor, CT

I have been working at The Hartford full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Weekends off, training, generous paid time off.
    The Hartford as a company has many solid benefits, but in restructuring the Claims organization they seemed to have let them drift off and lose their way.

Cons

Poorly run. Northeast Auto was run into the ground long before I was hired. Basically they run the place like a call center. For a company touting a 200 year legacy, they don't even know how to onboard an employee.
    They were perfectly happy with crummy retention rates, even stating they were proud that not many of their employees were around the year prior.

High volume, high stress, no rewards. This is a job you work at until you drop dead from a heart attack at 47.

Probably reconsider firing people on December 23rd

Great Work/Life Balance and Overall great Company to work for with strong values.

I have been working at The Hartford

Pros

Career Development, Great work environment.

Cons

Challenging but rewarding career paths.

Constant changing company

Current Employee - Auto Damage Appraiser in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Auto Damage Appraiser in New York, NY

I have been working at The Hartford

Pros

Paid time off and work flexibility

Cons

Constantly changing enviorment wish it would be same

Please do not change enviorment for staff.

Unfortunate Shift in Corporate Priorities

Former Employee - Front Line Manager in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Front Line Manager in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at The Hartford full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Above average pay; generous benefit package; abundance of advancement opportunities if the candidate is mobile; many lateral opportunities for front line employees within call centers

Cons

Company has shifted corporate values from focusing on employee engagement and skill building to reducing costs by requiring more and more from front line employees and cutting (employment termination) the bottom 10 - 15% of front line employees. There is no culture of fun or engagement in the call centers resulting in more turn over and overall negative culture in the call centers.

The key to obtaining and retaining employees is focusing on employee engagement. Reducing costs by lowering call handling time is a short-lived strategy. Better tools and more efficient processes will permanently reduce costs.

Great compamy

Current Employee - CRS in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - CRS in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at The Hartford

Pros

Great benefits, quiet work place, stability, weekends off always!

Cons

Work hrs 1030 -7 seems like my whole day is always gone