The Hartford

Adjuster positions

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

I worked at The Hartford

Pros

good employees, ok pay, some ability *limited though to work from home

Cons

poor team leaders and management

listen to your workers and question your management

Poorly run department.

Current Employee - Associate Claim Representative in Windsor, CT
    Current Employee - Associate Claim Representative in Windsor, CT

I have been working at The Hartford full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Weekends off, training, generous paid time off.
    The Hartford as a company has many solid benefits, but in restructuring the Claims organization they seemed to have let them drift off and lose their way.

Cons

Poorly run. Northeast Auto was run into the ground long before I was hired. Basically they run the place like a call center. For a company touting a 200 year legacy, they don't even know how to onboard an employee.
    They were perfectly happy with crummy retention rates, even stating they were proud that not many of their employees were around the year prior.

High volume, high stress, no rewards. This is a job you work at until you drop dead from a heart attack at 47.

Probably reconsider firing people on December 23rd

save yourself

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative II in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative II in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at The Hartford (more than a year)

Pros

hard to get fired , ok pay , management is easy to talk to there plate is just so full its hard for them to be involved with employees

Cons

time off is when its convenient for company but you are penalized for ptu, mandatory ot, not a lot of growth opportunities , health insurance Is expensive, it will take you 5-10 years to beable to work from home, no feedback or coaching from upper management what so ever

CRO - Don't Think It's so great!!!

Current Employee - Subrogation in Lake Mary, FL
    Current Employee - Subrogation in Lake Mary, FL

I have been working at The Hartford full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

All the people w/the exception of leadership are great!! I made some wonderful friends during my 8 1/2 years there. Benefits are good, pay is so-so. A new training program was recently implemented. PTO is generous and available day one. I definitely recommend The Hartford as an employer, just not in the CRO.

Cons

Performance metrics are changed mid-stream but not spelled out thoroughly. A successful associate can suddenly come up as inconsistent. Little to no coaching as to what you can do to improve or succeed. High performers are suddenly knocked down a notch and get fired - leaving room to hire the fresh new talent. Work/life balanced that The Hartford preaches is non-existent.

You broke something that didn't need fixing! Transparency is seriously lacking and the coaching that the staff got on how to answer the employee survey was improper. Trust & morale are at an all time low.

Working for The Hartford was mediocre, but most jobs have pros and cons.

Former Employee - Customer Care Representative in Aurora, IL
    Former Employee - Customer Care Representative in Aurora, IL

I worked at The Hartford

Pros

The people, most of the people working there are very nice and do thir best to help out when they can.

Cons

Working in the call center can be very challenging, people say whatever they want to you and you have to just take it, the customers can be awful. Also the scheduling, if you take your break 10 minutes late you'll be hearing about it.

Give people more time after calls.

Ok Overall

Current Employee - Underwriter in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Underwriter in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at The Hartford (more than a year)

Pros

Pay is decent and you have the option to work from home once you have been there a while however they are selective on who can work from home. Generous PTO

Cons

High stress environment. They just changed the health benefits to CDHP high deductible
    Plans and they are not good. Lack of upward movement in regional offices as most upper management and opportunities are in Hartford only. Upper management seems out of touch. Departments do not work together well to get things accomplished

Make more opportunities for home office positions such as product development and marketing available in regional offices and service centers

Not the best, but not terrible.

Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at The Hartford

Pros

The people are great! I love who I work with, everyone is very friendly and outgoing.

Cons

They don't give you all the training you need. They throw you into it and hide when there is a problem.

The claim volume is very high and sometimes uncontrollable. You have to push you team lead in order to get help.

You do not get paid enough to deal with everything.

upper management ignore everything the employees say. I have reached out numerous times and nothing has every turned around for my benefit or my peers.

Unfortunate Shift in Corporate Priorities

Former Employee - Front Line Manager in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Front Line Manager in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at The Hartford full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Above average pay; generous benefit package; abundance of advancement opportunities if the candidate is mobile; many lateral opportunities for front line employees within call centers

Cons

Company has shifted corporate values from focusing on employee engagement and skill building to reducing costs by requiring more and more from front line employees and cutting (employment termination) the bottom 10 - 15% of front line employees. There is no culture of fun or engagement in the call centers resulting in more turn over and overall negative culture in the call centers.

The key to obtaining and retaining employees is focusing on employee engagement. Reducing costs by lowering call handling time is a short-lived strategy. Better tools and more efficient processes will permanently reduce costs.

Great compamy

Current Employee - CRS in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - CRS in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at The Hartford

Pros

Great benefits, quiet work place, stability, weekends off always!

Cons

Work hrs 1030 -7 seems like my whole day is always gone

Great Employer- Loved My Freedom!

Former Employee - Commercial Accounts in Windsor, CT
    Former Employee - Commercial Accounts in Windsor, CT

I worked at The Hartford full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I liked the fact I made my own schedule. I never had to use PTO if I didn't want to. I could work from home if I chose to, I got massive overtime, which put more money in my pockets and I could do it right from home as well. Beautiful Building in Windsor CT, as it was just built. All new equipment. My mangers had confidence in me, so I was put on a lot of extra outside projects as well, which broke up the monotony. Great Bonus Pay. Nice Walking trails and Cafeteria. Managers willing to help with personal growth, allowing you to shadow in other departments etc. Great benefits. Great investment options.

Cons

Changes, something was changing every other week it seemed like. At times management seemed confused as well. Also the massive layoffs. That is why I am not currently there, it is not by choice. The salary increases were minimal, thank God for the Bonus checks! I would say the biggest Con was layoffs and sitting on eggshells. It's like you know it;s going to happen, but you don't know to who.

Be more proactive when it comes to your employee's, don't just manage, understand the function of the actual job that is being done. I have seen to many managers who want to crack the whip on their employee's for falling short on something but then you ask them a question, and they can't answer it because they know nothing about the job function they are managing!