The Harvard Drug Group

2.4

Terry Haas

New Employee Review

I have been working at The Harvard Drug Group

Pros

Great work environment
    Great industry
    Good hours, 9-6 NO WEEKENDS!
    Good Benefits, 401K
    Management support that is focused my success
    I am new to the Harvard Drug Group and I would say my overall experience has been a good one. Its a lot to learn but your manager is there to help.

Cons

I am new so it is a lot to learn, it can be frustrating at times when you don't have all the answers but I am assured that will come in time.

Hostile workplace.

Former Employee - Sales Support Associate in Livonia, MI
    Former Employee - Sales Support Associate in Livonia, MI

I worked at The Harvard Drug Group

Pros

There are some nice people working there.

Cons

Management turns a blind eye to the treatment of their employees. The pay and compensation package is a joke.

Train your managers and supervisors how to treat people.

Don't waste your time!!!!

Former Employee - Quality Control, Packer, Puller in Livonia, MI
    Former Employee - Quality Control, Packer, Puller in Livonia, MI

I worked at The Harvard Drug Group

Pros

The best thing about the job was benefits and 401k

Cons

The politics within the company are horrible. There was a great divide between union workers and non union workers. Their standards were ridiculous, they were trying to get you fired all the time. Management wasn't the brightest at all. There were always extreme cases of favortisim.

Low pay/ micro managed. Don't believe the hype.

I have been working at The Harvard Drug Group

Pros

-Peers are great
    -Benefits and 401 k match
    -Good industry
    - 50 cent vending machines

Cons

Where to begin? The (small) sales force is crushed by an administration that has far too many chiefs who don't have a clue about the pharmaceutical industry. Lawn care, bakery,and cosmetics, are examples of the types of experience that your superiors hold. Nearly none of the 15 (you read that right)or so people in management position have any experience with selling pharmaceutical drugs for the Harvard drug group. Many do not understand the basics of how the industry works. All you have to do is quiz them a bit to figure this out. It will take a week to know that management is clueless. as a matter of fact, they aren't even in the office most of the time. They are flown in from different parts of the country only to bully/intimidate the sales force. Sales is pulled in so many different directions. One minute they say "no faxes" next, they encourage fax blast to every customer. Pure insanity at its finest.They even made a special sheet which maps out the process for your termination.What a boost of positivity!

Earning potential is very limited. base salary is 24,000 which is laughable. You'll be lucky to make over 40,000 your first year, even if you are one of their favorites. The "veterans" have the ability to go at a lower price than most of the new people in the sales force, which really puts the newbies at a disadvantage. Pricing is another problem that is conveniently ignored by the upper/line management. Even if you wanted to "make it" and make 50,000 it would take a couple years of building your base to get their. Few people do it, which is why the turnover is astronomically high. were talking over 75% turnover. OUCH

- No promotion from the inside. For some odd reason everyone is hired from the outside and they don't encourage promotion from within. Even if you wanted to move up in the company you couldn't. If you're hired in sales, you stay in sales.

-It's micro managed like crazy. You'll be hearing about unique calls (calls over 40 seconds), talk time, and price points more than your sales numbers.You'll feel like your in kindergarten all over again. Daily meetings are pointless and are designed to scare you into making more calls.Line management is only there to make sure your on the phone, and to pump you up when you have a good day. Upper management tried to play peers against each other (Brian is doing this, so why can't you?). So what exactly do they do? They fly around the country. They sit in their cubicle and stare out windows with telescopes. They harass you for more dials. They will tell you to be quiet and stay at your seat. They cheer-lead you when you have a good day. They hire their corporate friends who make double your salary do for doing nothing but send emails. They threaten your job at every turn. They listen to your phone calls and critique them with ambiguous comments.

-If you're new, don't get brainwashed. This is NOT a career like they are trying to sell it's an entry level job that has expectations of a "professional" career. Spend a few months there and GET OUT. The environment is toxic.

Instead of trying to place the boot on the neck of employees, why not encourage people with a healthy commission structure and an acceptable base salary ? Oh wait, that would actually make sense.

Director

I worked at The Harvard Drug Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

small company good work life balance

Cons

too many politics management couldn't make a decision

If you are looking to sell you sell yourself to the devil, apply!

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Livonia, MI
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Livonia, MI

I worked at The Harvard Drug Group full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Only things I truly enjoyed were my peers, I was lucky to be on a great team with great cubicle mates, as well as a great training crew. I did enjoy the relationships with the customers, they became like your work friends after a while, problem is, there's only a handful out there.

Cons

Management hovers over you like you're a toddler going through potty training. Expecting irrational call volume along with talk time and sales, it's almost impossible unless you've been there a while and get handed the "good" leads. Training is great because they give you great food and you play games and it's all fun, took an hour into my first day to realize that was all BS.

PS-person who wrote "nice view," PLEASE tell me you were not in Livonia...because you would need glasses my friend

Have some faith in your employees to get the job done. Why spend 2 weeks training people when you don't trust them after the fact? Be there for support and guidance, not to be the coach controlling dad. Employees, stick together, it will be the only thing that keeps you sane in the end.

so so

I have been working at The Harvard Drug Group

Pros

nice people who work there but no outside of work bonding

Cons

not a great culture there

Entry level base for above avg expectations

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative Call Center in Glendale, AZ
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative Call Center in Glendale, AZ

I have been working at The Harvard Drug Group full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good training initially. Benefits after 30 days, CEO top notch, culture one of success and confidence in the marketplace. They have really invested heavily into their customized sales CRM program. Overall a pretty nice place to work and 4 great locations from east to west

Cons

Hours are rough. 9-6. too late/early to work a second job - of course if the base was commensurate with sales experience, then we wouldn't need a second job. But there are customer service reps at competitors making more than our meager starting salary and guaranteed commission.

Health benefits are horrible and adjusted not just by you- spouse - children. Because they discriminate against larger family sizes, greater number of children means greater premium contribution.

It is supposed to be a job that requires you "build your own base", which means that relationships have to be fostered with pharmacists and support staff and then forged into formidable buying entities that will stay with you for the long haul and grow vertically as your base grows horizontally.

The problem is that there is a stressful tension between expectation of a one call close for the office vs. your building a relationship built on more than just price alone. Many times the tension is caused by the hovering micromanaging call center director who hounds for dials and sales at your cubical rather than being professional and respecting the "process" of relationship building, meaning the fewer interruptions to the selling process the better.

There are too many one order wonder one call closes in the react pool to refute my theory. The KPI's are of concern, but the only way to refute their overwhelming conviction that these standards will make you and the company more money, is to consistently and diligently hit the KPI and then bring the results vs promised results, to their attention.

Office managers and directors need to be heard more and seen less. Use email or power points. Be a business professional and hold yourself to a finite number of minutes on a morning team huddle meeting. Everyone's time should be respected as commission sales reps. I am tired of management conducting 30-60 minute daily meetings without justification, and then get on a soap box to say "why aren't you making a first dial until 9:45. . If there is a daily objective or goal speak. A group cheer and hit the phones hard, not down 30-45-60 minutes. There are times when we are listening to our customers and a manager will come over and just start talking to us about something that could have been more professionally handled via email, especially since we can't listen to two people at once. It is rude and disrespectful to interrupt our sales day like that with anything less than a life or death emergency. Silent and steady is what wins the account management race.

Great Culture - Smaller feel

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Livonia, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Livonia, MI

I have been working at The Harvard Drug Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fast paced, room to learn

Cons

Always an abundance of work, sometimes more than you can handle.

I'd like to see more exploration of compensation compared to other companies of similar size and annual revenue. Not just in the area, as that is very skewed, but across the USA.

Steer Clear

I worked at The Harvard Drug Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The people (peers) are nice.

Cons

Everyone seems to be miserable here. Leadership has no idea what they're doing, and no strategic direction. It's clear they are working to get the company in a position to sell and then will move on. I have never worked for a company that had no idea who they were and who they wanted to become. Total micromanaging at the seller level - it's ridiculous. This is one of those FIRST sales jobs that you do that will either a) turn you off for sales forever, or b) teach you what you DON'T want in your next job. Pricing is terrible, so they cannot be competitive (it's a commodity environment), and there's no intrinsic value-add above and beyond, so there's no real reason customers should use Harvard. Nearly impossible to sell in this environment.

Sales compensation is terrible. $24K base plus guaranteed total of $33K first year. After that you're on your own and not likely to surpass sales thresholds to earn above the $24K. Who can live on that? Also - it's paid hourly so you are watched closely (clocking in and out, etc.). Super high turnover because nobody can make any money here other than reps who have been around forever and have the ability to lower their pricing as needed.

Take better care of your employees. Come back to reality. Get clear about who you are and where you are headed. Create a value add for your customers to offset your terrible pricing. Get rid of managers who have zero enthusiasm or experience in an Inside Sales environment. Provide better ongoing training.