The Harvard Drug Group

Terry Haas

1. As Challenging as it is Rewarding

Current Employee - Account Manager in Glendale, AZ
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Glendale, AZ

I have been working at The Harvard Drug Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I was hired in January of 2014 with the inaugural training class for the office in Glendale, AZ. The 14 months since then have been the best of my professional career. Harvard is a company that is personally invested in each employee's success, as evidenced by the sheer cost they incur just to train someone. They set realistic, attainable, goals, and do everything to help you achieve them.

The pay is good, with immediate opportunities through bonuses and spiffs to make more money. even on top of the commission guarantee. Benefits are also good, with great insurance, 401k, etc.

Best of all is how much fun you can have. The whole basis of the job is building connections with people - not just selling, but truly consulting. As such, everyone who works there brings a different, yet equally enjoyable personality. There's never a dull moment!

Cons

I personally do not have any glaring cons to list, however I feel the need to address something I read in another review:

There are a few reviews mentioning the "negative environment" There was a period where an overall negative mindset swept through the office, but that left with the people that perpetuated it. The office is now full of people who support and challenge each other to build success, and it is truly a joy to work in.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing, and let's keep ranking #1 as an office!

2. Great Place to Work!!!

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Glendale, AZ
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Glendale, AZ

I have been working at The Harvard Drug Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I am newer to the organization, I believe that the new hire training was one of the best I have ever been through and in talking with my friends none of them have experienced anything like this.I saw a lot of the "former employee" reviews and personally have not experienced the things mentioned. Although that may speak why they are former, sadly a couple of those are a very jaded perspective which fortunately I have not experienced. Therefore the Pro is I have not experienced it.

Cons

Although the training is very thorough the systems are a little difficult to use, it seems like there are many systems that could either be consolidated or updated. Not that it was that big of a deal I learned it in time but I probably could have been performing a little quicker if they were a little easier to grasp.

Advice to Management

It is a fun and exciting place to work, please keep it that way!

3. Inside sales rep

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glendale, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glendale, AZ

I have been working at The Harvard Drug Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

No weekends, 9-6pm, full benefits, base pay weekly, guaranteed monthly commission! Management is very helpful, they coach to individual needs. Everyone around you is willing to help. Weekly contests for gift cards and on occasion cash given. Our office has been ranked #1 for the last two months in sales. People are great.

Cons

I really enjoy working here.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing, I have not missed goal yet!

5. Don't waste your time

I have been working at The Harvard Drug Group

Pros

You might get a free meal every blue moon.

Cons

High turn over rate. The Human Resources Department is shady. It's a lot of micromanaging. The Sales Department provides travel, paid traing and food to the new hires but don't provide adequate training. A lot false promises regarding salary.

Advice to Management

Find professional upper management. Stop firing or making your experienced employees quit to save a buck. Most of the managers are like slave overseers, who have nothing to do. If you want to save money, stop spending so much money on travel expenses for the ELITE Big Wigs.

6. Immature management with no formal education. Huge turn over. I saw 20 people come and go in a year's time.

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Glendale, AZ
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Glendale, AZ

I worked at The Harvard Drug Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free snacks (big deal) that are brought in and monitored by a designated employee.

Cons

Glendale, AZ directors are in way over their heads. They are paranoid of all the negativity in the office and have created a hostile work environment. Certain employees are favored over others. They like to feed the sharks!

Advice to Management

The two gals that run the Glendale office need to get a job at a day care center where their strengths will be better suited.

7. New Employee Review

I have been working at The Harvard Drug Group

Pros

Great work environment
    Great industry
    Good hours, 9-6 NO WEEKENDS!
    Good Benefits, 401K
    Management support that is focused my success
    I am new to the Harvard Drug Group and I would say my overall experience has been a good one. Its a lot to learn but your manager is there to help.

Cons

I am new so it is a lot to learn, it can be frustrating at times when you don't have all the answers but I am assured that will come in time.

8. Hostile workplace.

Former Employee - Sales Support Associate in Livonia, MI
    Former Employee - Sales Support Associate in Livonia, MI

I worked at The Harvard Drug Group

Pros

There are some nice people working there.

Cons

Management turns a blind eye to the treatment of their employees. The pay and compensation package is a joke.

Advice to Management

Train your managers and supervisors how to treat people.

9. Don't waste your time!!!!

Former Employee - Quality Control, Packer, Puller in Livonia, MI
    Former Employee - Quality Control, Packer, Puller in Livonia, MI

I worked at The Harvard Drug Group

Pros

The best thing about the job was benefits and 401k

Cons

The politics within the company are horrible. There was a great divide between union workers and non union workers. Their standards were ridiculous, they were trying to get you fired all the time. Management wasn't the brightest at all. There were always extreme cases of favortisim.

Low pay/ micro managed. Don't believe the hype.

I have been working at The Harvard Drug Group

Pros

-Peers are great
    -Benefits and 401 k match
    -Good industry
    - 50 cent vending machines

Cons

Where to begin? The (small) sales force is crushed by an administration that has far too many chiefs who don't have a clue about the pharmaceutical industry. Lawn care, bakery,and cosmetics, are examples of the types of experience that your superiors hold. Nearly none of the 15 (you read that right)or so people in management position have any experience with selling pharmaceutical drugs for the Harvard drug group. Many do not understand the basics of how the industry works. All you have to do is quiz them a bit to figure this out. It will take a week to know that management is clueless. as a matter of fact, they aren't even in the office most of the time. They are flown in from different parts of the country only to bully/intimidate the sales force. Sales is pulled in so many different directions. One minute they say "no faxes" next, they encourage fax blast to every customer. Pure insanity at its finest.They even made a special sheet which maps out the process for your termination.What a boost of positivity!

Earning potential is very limited. base salary is 24,000 which is laughable. You'll be lucky to make over 40,000 your first year, even if you are one of their favorites. The "veterans" have the ability to go at a lower price than most of the new people in the sales force, which really puts the newbies at a disadvantage. Pricing is another problem that is conveniently ignored by the upper/line management. Even if you wanted to "make it" and make 50,000 it would take a couple years of building your base to get their. Few people do it, which is why the turnover is astronomically high. were talking over 75% turnover. OUCH

- No promotion from the inside. For some odd reason everyone is hired from the outside and they don't encourage promotion from within. Even if you wanted to move up in the company you couldn't. If you're hired in sales, you stay in sales.

-It's micro managed like crazy. You'll be hearing about unique calls (calls over 40 seconds), talk time, and price points more than your sales numbers.You'll feel like your in kindergarten all over again. Daily meetings are pointless and are designed to scare you into making more calls.Line management is only there to make sure your on the phone, and to pump you up when you have a good day. Upper management tried to play peers against each other (Brian is doing this, so why can't you?). So what exactly do they do? They fly around the country. They sit in their cubicle and stare out windows with telescopes. They harass you for more dials. They will tell you to be quiet and stay at your seat. They cheer-lead you when you have a good day. They hire their corporate friends who make double your salary do for doing nothing but send emails. They threaten your job at every turn. They listen to your phone calls and critique them with ambiguous comments.

-If you're new, don't get brainwashed. This is NOT a career like they are trying to sell it's an entry level job that has expectations of a "professional" career. Spend a few months there and GET OUT. The environment is toxic.

Advice to Management

Instead of trying to place the boot on the neck of employees, why not encourage people with a healthy commission structure and an acceptable base salary ? Oh wait, that would actually make sense.

11. Director

I worked at The Harvard Drug Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

small company good work life balance

Cons

too many politics management couldn't make a decision