The Haute Spot

Updated May 6, 2014
Updated May 6, 2014

1.3

Karna Johnson

Great place to work in fashion in Chicago that isn't retail

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

Centrally located in River West
    Bright & beautiful loft style office
    Working with the best designer names in fashion, Chanel, Gucci, Louis Vuitton, ect.
    Fun environment with a great team
    Growing and expanding company
    Opportunities for advancement
    Paid holidays and vacation
    Closed on Sundays

Cons

Health benefits aren't currently available
    Working 1-2 Saturdays a month is mandatory

worst "internship" ever

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

um, I guess I can say I've worked in fashion.

Cons

- Unpaid internship is actually an unpaid job, where you clean up after your superiors and get talked down to
    - Computers/technology are so outdated, falling apart, make it impossible to work
    - Very snobby, condescending atmosphere
    - You are told to take breaks, but you are looked down on if you actually take a break
    - Gossip is nonstop, very immature

Get off your high horse and Google what a real internship entails; the "internship" you advertise is illegal

Run!

Former Employee - General Manager  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - General Manager in Chicago, IL

Pros

I can honestly say there are few (if any) cons. If there were I think more people would tend to stay, The few I can manage to come up with would be:
    *decent work hours
    *you share office space with a great personal stylist, Kellie Trumper

Cons

My experience here was pretty painful as a manager and I'd say a lot like previous employees except I went through a change of owners which made things go from bad to worse. Here are the major issues:
    *Lazy and unhelpful 'managing partner'. Most times I had no idea what he was doing other than gossiping with owners or texting spouse. It made things very frustrating.
    *Managing partner was very volatile, aggressive, and condescending. His interactions with the staff made me uncomfortable the majority of the time
    *Hostile work environment. Employees are disrespectful, combative, and insubordinate. You can imagine what a joy they were to manage.
    *Absolutely no team moral or ethics. It pretty much is every person for them self, No accountability at ALL. Be prepared to be thrown under the bus for any and everything at any given time. Expect no loyalty
    *Employees are unfamiliar and not knowledgeable about design or designers. I was very surprised by this since they were fashion majors. I'd definitely want a refund from whatever school that degree came from.
    *Employees are unfamiliar with luxury retailers and environment.
    *Business is more of a garage sale and less of a boutique. There were daily discussions on whether or not items were authentic. Sounds legit right? My advice would be to think twice before buying anything from here
    *Unprofessional atmosphere. Music was offensive to women and really any other minority. There were days it just made me cringe. It's no wonder customers never wanted to stick around long.
    *Employees looked unprofessional and did not represent fashion or luxury in the least. Most days it looked like most of them just rolled out of bed.
    *No appreciation. Whatever you do prepare yourself to do more (and more) and not get any thanks.
    *Goals were unattainable and unrealistic. I don't know how they were determined but I can say not in any logical way.
    *No pay increases, vacation, sick days (or really any benefits at all). Sounds amazing, right?
    *No protocol for interns. I would not recommend an internship here.
    *Filthy work space. Calling it a boutique is very misleading. It is an unfinished commercial space. Laptops are old and dated. Internet is just pitiful. The Flintstones had better technology.
    *Business is eBay driven which has very challenging clients. Think swap meet hagglers... but worse
    *Be very weary of anything you sign. Their documents can be confusing. There really isnt any handbook. Ask questions and get EVERYTHING in writing.

I'm sure you are thinking it cant possibly be that bad. It's what I thought first going through the reviews. I gave it a shot and I'm here to tell you that it is all true.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Major fashion faux-paus!

Former Employee - Associate  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Associate in Chicago, IL

Pros

- Co-workers were kind and enjoyable
    - Close to the L trains
    - Nice views from the windows
    - Ability to work with luxury fashions

Cons

- The owner is rude and disrespectful and often talks badly about employees
    - The owner isn't open to new ideas/methods
    - The styling portion of the company leaves much to be desired (conceptually out-of-date)
    - The hours are too long and expectations to stay beyond hours is very intense
    - Employees must provide their own car & computer without any reimbursement
    - No health insurance or PTO for anyone in the company
    - Its mandatory to work weekends on a rotating basis
    - Cleaning is a major expectation (toilet, floors, etc.)
    - The owner has emotional rage and the work environment is often tense and uncomfortable due to outbursts
    - Goals are unattainable and performance rewards are minimal or nonexistent
    - Very little room for growth (raises are between $0.50 and $1.00)
    - Bad neighborhood at night

I believe that the owner should rethink the salaries she's giving to her employees. The pay-rate is incredibly low, coupled with the immense amount of disrespect and tumultuous work environment; employees have no option but to leave. The addition of health benefits and compensation for the use of personal computers/cars, would also help to please employees and result in a lower rate of turnover. I believe the cost of frequent turnover is more expensive actually making these improvements.
    I also advise the owner to let the manager run the EBay business and stick to the styling business because her emotional outbursts create a less than workable environment for her employees.

Negative stars, don't waste your valuable time

Former Employee - Intern  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Intern in Chicago, IL

Pros

Talented Staff, but because of such weak leadership unfortunately the team has low morale

Cons

Should you be looking for a fashion internship, skip applying/submitting to the Haute Spot. First off is to state the obvious: the only positive review on this website is submitted by the owner--it is the same verbiage used in their internship post. Both the description and responsibilities are taken from the review, perfect example of how unprofessional of an environment to expect should you intern at the Haute Spot.

There are so many other great internship programs in Chicago, choose a company that cares about mentoring and educating the interns. Unfortunately this company just exploits the internship for the labor, the program is designed specifically to get daily menial tasks done. The owner lacks management capability and obviously does not care about employee satisfaction and retention at all.

A haute mess

Former Employee - Ebay Auction Specialist  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Ebay Auction Specialist in Chicago, IL

Pros

Free parking and met some great co-workers

Cons

This was my first job out of college and to this day it still gives me an amazing perspective on how to NOT treat employees. I did my time, stayed professional, gave it my all, and got the heck out of there once I had another job lined up. Since then I've had a much better understanding on what's considered appropriate pay, benefits, practices, etc, which was actually pretty valuable. You can't even compare the two! So here we go:

Be prepared to be available 24/7, low pay, no health benefits, barely any holidays off, sign an unethical non-compete agreement, provide your own laptop, provide your own car, get a weird look if you request a review (god forbid you would want a raise/move up in the company), the list goes on and on. She has absolutely no management experience and is not subtle in treating employees like they're a walking expense...

Not possible to give advice to management since the company is a revolving door. Longest I saw a manager last was two months. With good reason, they get treated more like a personal assistant instead of running operations. Correction, note to owner: Stick to styling and work by yourself! Unable to work with others.

Truly the worst

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

Learned exactly what I don't want out of a company in the future
    Learned how NOT to treat employees or co-workers
    Great eye opener

Cons

Terrible management skills/lack there-of
    Bad/sketchy location
    Not professional- but tries to act like this is best place to work
    Low pay
    Unnecessary hours of business
    Policies and contracts mean nothing and change constantly-they are made up from generic business forums because the owner isn't a business woman
    The list goes on and on...

Don't hire anyone else; just work for yourself so the job gets done exactly how you want it done and then you don't have to worry about your high turnover rate of employees.

Low Pay, Low Respect.

Former Employee - Intern  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Intern in Chicago, IL

Pros

Free Parking
    Walking distance to the Blue Line

Cons

Minimum wage
    little to no trust in employees
    no work/life balance
    poor management
    zero encouragement and no team morale
    fast employee turnaround
    always changing rules
    have more interns than actual employees
    Employ interns so they don't actually have to pay people to work
    No Health benefits
    No paid vacations, holidays, or sick days

Treat your employees with some respect and trust and they may actually last longer than a couple months.

Not worth the stress....

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

Some events were fun to attend

Cons

Terrible/untrustworthy management and leadership
    Terrible turnover
    No work/life balance
    Constantly changing policies/practices
    Unrealistic expectations/goals
    Unnecessary work hours
    Un-challenging/ monotonous work

Listen to why your employees hate their jobs so much/make the necessary changes. Stop trying to be what you're not.

Owner has questionable ethics and lacks integrity

Pros

Nice coworkers, but they don't last long

Cons

Low pay
    Irregular hours
    Drastically high turnover
    Low Employee Satisfaction
    Owner lacks integrity
    Unfair hiring practices
    Demeaning work given to interns

Worked for The Haute Spot? Contribute to the Community!