The Hershey Company Reviews

Updated August 21, 2014

3.7

The Hershey Company President, CEO and Director John P. (J.P.) Bilbrey
John P. (J.P.) Bilbrey

Pros
  • Comments in older reviews about work-life balance no longer relevant (in 10 reviews)

• Family-oriented company and great people to work with (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Difficult to maintain work life balance (in 8 reviews)

• Always on the road as a retail sales rep over 300 miles per week (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

RSM

Current Employee - RSM  in  Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - RSM in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at The Hershey Company part-time for less than a year

Pros

Nice people, fun position, Great learning potential...Contests to help keep you motivated.

Cons

No advancement, must stay in position 1 year minimum to go no where. Supervisors don't always know what is going on, things change all the time and information isnt always passed on to you. current supervisor got promotion and everything fell apart. Dont give you all the information to do your job at one time, just give you pieces at a time,

Others told me at my first RSM meeting that this position had no potential of advancement. They were told during their interviews, I was not. I was really upset. I had hoped to move up in this company.

Great company to its employees; less so to contractors.

Former Employee - Server Administrator  in  Hershey, PA
    Former Employee - Server Administrator in Hershey, PA

I worked at The Hershey Company as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

From an IT-perspective, I appreciated that the company kept quite a bit of their IT-infrastructure in Pennsylvania. With that, their comes many decent projects to work on from an IT-perspective. I believe that the managers are capable and good at doing their jobs. Most of the employees in the organization seem willing and ready to perform their duties. Compensation, as a contractor, was lower than desired, but reasonable.

Cons

The problem with being a contractor here is that virtually NO ONE who is an employee is willing to trust you with much work. There is definitely a culture with contractors of, "Do a tremendous amount of work to maybe (in 3 years or so) become an employee." The company that puts most of the contractors at Hershey (System One) does a terrible job of representing you and your best interests. They seem to get involved only if Hershey's HR needs to be involved with an issue (not from personal experience, but rather seeing the situation unfold for someone else). Also, the training for some of the jobs that I performed for them did not exist. I was unimpressed with the management and co-workers that I had when I worked for their IT-infrastructure department. It was very easy to be overloaded with work and ignored when you needed assistance or backup.

Quit the contractor game and invest in your company by hiring actual employees instead of playing the contractor game. A lot less value is placed on people at this institution when they are contractors.

Strong company, standard corporate structure, policies, benefits, & opportunities.

Former Employee - Multiple  in  Hershey, PA
    Former Employee - Multiple in Hershey, PA

I worked at The Hershey Company full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Large company. If you're willing to take the assignments in other cities or countries, you can advance over time.

Cons

Corporate structure with desire to maintain squeaky clean reputation makes it somewhat dull, although secure if you keep your head down.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not for everyone

Former Employee - Field Sales Intern
    Former Employee - Field Sales Intern

I worked at The Hershey Company as an intern for more than a year

Pros

Salary.
    Great learning experience in many aspects.

Cons

They sell it as a sales job; however, you are really just stocking shelves in stores.
    They pitch room to move in the company, but its a lie. I watched numerous people quit after years of being told they were up for promotion but they never got them.

Great Company but has flaws

Former Employee - Retail Sales Merchandiser  in  Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Merchandiser in Irving, TX

I worked at The Hershey Company part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

At the time my position as an RSM was great. Responsible for my own territory. Loved being in the field.

Cons

Part-time work started to come home with me. Did not like that. Procedures and policies kept changing back and forth as to what we were supposed to do in the field-- i.e. exchanging expired candy versus new product.

Listen to the field reps who know know what the key decision makers need/want.

Great company, not very challenging.

I worked at The Hershey Company part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

They have a great support system. The executives are very motivating. The training was excellent. Even though I was out in the field, I never felt alone.

Cons

Amazing company. The work wasn't as challenging as I want. The day-to-day work could get very monotonous. The part time positions do not have any upward advancement available.

Political and poor senior leadership in many departments.

Current Employee - Senior Manager  in  Hershey, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Hershey, PA

I have been working at The Hershey Company full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great performing company with a strong history of giving back to the community.

Cons

Certain senior leadership is incompetent and people are judged based on political maneuvering rather than ability, results, and strong management skills. Some of the most competent people have been restructured out of the company leading to an aggressive environment with no job security. This then leads to a lack of teamwork and people step on others in an attempt to protect their own jobs. Senior leadership rewards this type of behavior instead of trying to change it. Some departments are good places to work, but others such as Legal and HR are not.

Work in eliminating the incompetency in the senior leadership ranks and work on fixing the corporate culture.

Stable company, great brands, not for high performers

Former Employee - Team Leader  in  Hershey, PA
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Hershey, PA

I worked at The Hershey Company full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Very relatable and easy to connect with vision & brands. Stable environment with great job security - you feel as if you could work your entire career there. Base pay is excellent, and opportunity for overtime is abundant.

Cons

Manufacturing plants are not run in Lean or Total Productive Maintenance environment, leading to frequent unplanned breakdowns, increased waste, and ultimately an over-worked and frustrated workforce. With a job-secure environment comes the inability for managers to let go of underperformers. There is a lack of understanding of processes in the manufacturing facilities, and training (since there's no Lean or TPM) is often an unstructured practice of assigning new employees to shadow experienced employees for a short time. Bonus structure is severely trailing the market.

Take the plunge and implement Lean or TPM in all of your facilities. However, make sure it is done with the proper financial resources and senior leadership support. If taken seriously at all levels of the organization, this will unleash tons of value and improve morale. Let the under performers go. Implement a proper training program at all levels of the organization. Invest resources to understand your processes in detail. Improve the bonus target, therefore aligning work performance with pay. Hershey is a good company, waiting to be a great company.

The Hershey Sales Force: Experts in their field, climbing the ladder is very challenging

Current Employee - Retail Sales Representative  in  Westbury, NY
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Representative in Westbury, NY

I have been working at The Hershey Company full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Overall great company, strong brand and reputation. Sales Force get great benefits, healthcare, 401k, company car, gas reimbursement, bonuses, etc. If you willing to give the company your all, than you may have the potential for promotions.

Cons

Relocation is requirement for any Sales job within Hershey. Usually the expectation for entry level Retail Sales Representative is at least 100 miles away from your home. Every promotion requires a relocation. The day to day work gets redundant and tiring. If you have the mental will power to commit yourself to this company, than maybe you'll have a chance to move up. If not, this isn't the job for you.

Great career development

Current Employee - Retail Sales Representative  in  Wausau, WI
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Representative in Wausau, WI

I have been working at The Hershey Company full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great opportunity to build business acumen. Fun team atmosphere. Great insurance. Competitive salary. Ability to be promoted in several areas after a short period in entry level.

Cons

There isn't a lot for the Cons list. Having discount on candy would be nice. Other than that this company is great.

Have more availability to advance without relocation

Worked for The Hershey Company? Contribute to the Community!