The Hershey Company Reviews

193 reviews filtered by
3.9
The Hershey Company President, CEO and Director John P. (J.P.) Bilbrey
John P. (J.P.) Bilbrey

Pros
  • Comments in older reviews about work-life balance no longer relevant (in 10 reviews)

• Family-oriented company and great people to work with (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance, relocations are necessary (in 11 reviews)

• Always on the road as a retail sales rep over 300 miles per week (in 7 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Excellent Values

Current Employee - Manufacturing in Stuarts Draft, VA
    Current Employee - Manufacturing in Stuarts Draft, VA

I have been working at The Hershey Company full-time

Pros

From the top down there is a very clear message of where senior management wants the company to go and how everyone is expected to work hard to get there. Additionally, as you go about your daily work, you hear people talking about these goals and how they can meet them through their work. This creates a very unified atmosphere to work in and pushes everyone to perform.

It is also just plain cool to work at Hershey. Go tell people you work for The Hershey Company and they smile. Your helping to make and distribute a product that holds happy memories for a lot of people. Add to this the fact the much our our profit goes toward The Milton Hershey School, one of the nations leading schools of less privileged children, on top of the other charities that we have created or support, and Hershey is truly a place you can be proud to work.

Cons

If you require a lot of direction, then Hershey may not be for you. We tend to try and push decision making to the lowest levels that it makes sense to do so. While I enjoy this, if you don't want responsibility early or struggle to create your own work, you might struggle.

2. Worked as an intern and got to see so much of the company! Great opportunity.

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern in Hershey, PA
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern in Hershey, PA

I have been working at The Hershey Company as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

I was in the communications department for my internship, so a lot of my projects got to touch a lot of different parts of the company. I was able to work on my journalistic skills as well as dabble in design and project management. Great experience overall!

Cons

There wasn't much structure with my program, which turned out to be great, because I could choose my projects. But this could be a con to someone who needs to be told what to do.

It was really great being able to foster relationships with upper management at Hershey. Most employees were very willing to include an intern in their planning. Very grateful for that.

3. full benefits

I have been working at The Hershey Company

Pros

no room to move up in company

Cons

they have great schedule flexibility

5. Great company with exceptional people to work with.

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at The Hershey Company

Pros

Great people and good treatment.

Cons

None, other than I made problems for myself.

Less moving around.

6. Great experience, but not for me

I worked at The Hershey Company

Pros

Was given a lot of autonomy, which really helped me in my professional development as an intern. Great team and lots of support. Upper management were always incredibly nice and helpful.

Cons

Even though the company is great, it wasn't the best fit for my career path. They tend to have a set line-up of promotions of which I did not see myself in.

7. Category Development Intern

Former Intern - Category Development in Hershey, PA
    Former Intern - Category Development in Hershey, PA

I worked at The Hershey Company as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Unlimited candy(also a con in a way), great pay, many learning opportunities, great CEO

Cons

Minimum open door policy, avoids any risks, confusing building, not much nurturing

Drive for constant change. Enable employees to take calculated risks. Keep encouraging employees to learn like you currently do!

Hershey Sales Rep = Walmart stock girl/boy

Former Employee - Retail Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Representative

I worked at The Hershey Company

Pros

Pay is much higher than industry average
    company car/ maitnce.
    benefits
    good brand reputation
    resume builder
    bonuses

Cons

The RSR role NOT a sales job. They hire you under the false pretenses that you will be "selling" to store management an that the store will execute the programming. The reality is all sales goes on above your head and it is your job to do the job that the lazy Walmart employees will not due. Hershey managers say they want you to "manage your managers" but at the end of the day you a fighting for space with a million other vendors that were promised the same space and you will end up stalking shelves and getting yelled at by Walmart employees who are on power trips. It is NO secret that working in walmart is not desirable and thats all your district managers will care about since thats what they are rated on. If you are good at sales you can make A LOT more at another company.
    If you are a college grad being recruited its a great resume builder but do not relocate somewhere super undesirable (as i did) because they tell you that you will be out in a year, its not worth it. The job is degrading and you will be miserable and stuck for 2 years unless you want to pay them back to relo fee.

-Be HONEST about what the job is.
    -Having to relocate to a completely different city to promote is an absurd practice and the company has lost a LOT of good people because of it
    - dont relocate college grads to remote locatons and promise that they will be out in 18 months
    - Put people in management that are good with people to create a better culture for reps
    - You want us to stalk shelves and front ends and build displays in walmart with box cutters on our hips and then expect the Market managers to respect us as business professionals? THis role is going thru a MAJORE identity crisis

Great company if you want to keep moving for ever promotional opportunity!

Current Employee - Retail Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Representative

I have been working at The Hershey Company (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good compensation and benefits
    Good promoting opportunities should you want to move and follow the career path that is basically mapped out for you.
    Upper management is very active in your professional growth. Very transparent and inviting should you ever need them.
    A great role for personal and professional development.
    Growing company with great strategic plans for the future. Definitely a company you can be proud to work for!

Cons

If you want to grow with the company you will need to relocate for every promotion. They lose a lot of very talented, driven individuals because of this.
    Not a lot of promotional opportunities in different roles. You're given a couple options for different roles you can promote to.
    Sales role has become a glorified merchandising role.

Figure out a way to utilize technology to retain talented individuals. Hershey's is essentially training people for other companies because of this.

10. Associate Brand Manager (Intern)

I worked at The Hershey Company

Pros

great learning, strategic projects, nurturing environment

Cons

pretty set in the way things are done, Not very flexible

Be more open, more mentorship, clear communication

11. The Hershey Company

I worked at The Hershey Company

Pros

pay, benefits, company culture
    everyone is very supportive within the company

Cons

I did not have any complaints while working with Hershey

The Hershey Company Photos