The Higher Gear Group Reviews

Reset
2.5
Robert Gruen

1. Great Company Atmosphere

Pros

They believe in their employees and let them manage themselves and respect them.

Cons

Most accounts that you have to work with in the automotive industry are rude and would rather not deal with you.

Advice to Management

Pressure development to complete improvements faster

Just pass it up

Former Employee - Software Developer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Software Developer in New York, NY

I worked at The Higher Gear Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There really aren't any pros, unless you count the possibility that you won't be there forever.

Cons

Worst management I've ever experienced, incapable ceo, arrogant senior developers - and their all family, so you can't say anything. Obsolete technology and no opportunity for improvement.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, and consider that the people you hire bring some expertise as well.

3. Developer

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at The Higher Gear Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

NYC office has great chairs, and is in a decent food neighborhood. Very stable suite of technologies, including SQLAlchemy, Python, Linux. Valuable experience to start out a DevOps career, or work as a Linux distro maintainer. You can get away with working from home most of the time if you want to.

Cons

* Limited opportunity for advancement. * Obsolete technologies are the norm. * The most senior developers are set in their ways, and actively unpleasant to work with. They are convinced they are the smartest guys in the room, and are perfectly willing to tell the rest of the development staff that they don't measure up. * The legacy codebase is huge, intractable, and never going away. * The only way to get paid what you're worth is to threaten to walk away.

5. BAD Management, Great Coworkers

Current Employee - Software Trainer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Software Trainer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at The Higher Gear Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

none, Working here was the worst experience I have ever had

Cons

No work life balance, terrible per diem, no chance for advancement, cheap

6. No faith in employees

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at The Higher Gear Group full-time

Pros

There are many caring, engaged and long term employees at Higher Gear, and there appeared to be genuine enthusiasm about the possibility of changing some of the more negative cultural aspects of the company.

Cons

There is a major lack of communication between critical divisions of the company, which appeared to be by design. Culture shift was not supported by senior members of the organization, which made any implementation slow to impossible.

Mismanagement, Lack of Integrity

Former Employee - Training Consultant in Schaumburg, IL
    Former Employee - Training Consultant in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at The Higher Gear Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Gain valuable industry experience. At the time, the company did not want any Clients to contact the training staff directly. So when done working, the phone did not ring. The converse of this is that the Clients were always unhappy that they could never speak directly with the training staff.

Cons

Poor communication, changing targets, no formal performance evaluations, micro-management, poor benefits, lack of personal concern or value for employees, frequent weekend work, no time allotted for administrative work.

Advice to Management

So many employees have left the company voicing to senior management their concerns. Nothing ever changes.

From Great to OK to Not so Good

Former Employee - Software Trainer
    Former Employee - Software Trainer

I worked at The Higher Gear Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Originally had a great team of regional managers - Overall Great Phone Support Team - Initially great senior management team - Good benefits - Used to have great time off incentives

Cons

- Most of the regional managers were let go - When the recession hit, there was a massive amount of layoffs and terminations. There was little communication. Many colleagues would be on their way to work, then receive a call at 7am that they are no longer employed by the company. Very little regard for employees. - Constant Management change-up - Slowly benefits were taken away - Initially when hired by the company you are given 5 Paid days off (includes sick days, vacation, ext) - After 2 years of employment you are given 10 days of paid time off - No company incentives - No recognition - No developmental training - Many false promises - There have been lawsuits regarding pay

Advice to Management

When I was first employed by the Higher Gear Group it was a fantastic company to work for. There was cohesion within the company and I felt that the company cared for my overall well being. Then the company switched hands which led to over selling the product and under delivering on those promises, which made the trainers and support teams look incompetent. Then the recession hit, the automotive industry got battered and dealers started dropping CRM's. One by one employees were let go without any warning and the ones that were kept, were kept in the dark, always worried that they would be next. The management at Higher Gear is known for making wondrous promises to both it's clients and it's employees and consistently fails to to make good on those promises. It does this with little regard for anyone involved. The management needs to analyze what made the company so great in 2005-2007. If they can do that, then there's no doubt there's a great future in store for that company.

9. This Company Is A Major Joke!

Former Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at The Higher Gear Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There's nothing positive about this company.

Cons

Poor Salary Poor Benefits Lack of Communication Poor Management No Work-Life Balance No Clear Defined Business Model/Plan Outdated CRM; Old Programming Languages High Turnover (Clients & Staff) Etc, Etc, Etc...

Advice to Management

All decisions come from the "top" so unless the owner is looking to sell his company to a competitor or step down as CEO I don't see how this company will EVER get any better.

10. Average job

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

Good people to work with.

Cons

No beer in the office.

Definitely Not What They Claimed To Be

Former Employee - Former Trainer in Newark, NJ
    Former Employee - Former Trainer in Newark, NJ

Pros

I think the best reasons to work with the company were the people. There was very much a family/team environment among the "boots on the ground" (ie. Sales, Customer Support, Tech Support, and the Trainers). I came from a number of years at ADP where customer service and building relationships at the ground level were stressed. My former coworkers did exemplify that when it came to doing all they could for the company's customers. I was part of a batch of employees let go in a subsequent round of layoffs in the March-April of 2009 timeframe, after assurances had been made that no further jobs were in jeopardy. I was given no real reason for being selected for the layoff. I guess the best Pro for me was that I landed at another software company within three months of my departure and find it unnecessary to look back or consider re-employment should an offer ever come. I am very much more appreciated and valued at my new gig, and see a lot of the good qualities of Corporate life now than I did at The Higher Gear Group.

Cons

Unfortunately, despite the true good natures of most of the front line employees, management was another story. Raises were fair and what was promised during the interview process at first, but tapered off significantly as time went on. While token efforts were made to promote advancement, it did not always seem that the right talent was being offered the sparse promotion opportunities. For some, the offers were conditional and might have presented hardships once the employee actually did what the company wanted to have that new position/opportunity. Benefits were quite costly when someone is trying to cover themselves as well as their family, and time at home varied greatly depending upon factors unbeknownst to us in the field. Communications were difficult, and at times, decisions that should have been relatively simple and beneficial to clients never came to pass. A perfect example was a simple report change within the software that could've benefited the entire client base took over a year to develop, and cost the company a good relationship with at least one fairly large client. Instead, there was a lot of frustration at having to answer the same simple request with a "No" and "I don't know when it will be addressed", and the client literally throwing me or other employees assigned to their site out of important meetings or opportunities to work with their employees and make their usage of the product they bought better.

Advice to Management

While it is assuredly difficult to manage a whole company, and I don't claim to have experience or knowledge in that realm, it is critical to listen to clients' needs, take feedback from employees wholeheartedly instead of selective listening, and make sure that your attitude toward your employees is that they are valued, one and all. Make sure that the CEO surrounds himself with a trustworthy team and that there is always financial openness and communication throughout the company. You would be surprised how much your employees would support you in the down times so long as you're honest to them all the time. I know that many of the "bad" decisions that affected many of the employees in the latter part of my employment with the company were made by a President who was more trouble than he was apparently worth (and I heard is long gone with the coming of the new investment company). I also hope that the company can sincerely survive and do right by the employees who were fortunate enough to be given the opportunity to remain with a position and prove their talents and loyalty. However, if the fundamentals don't change, and the company goes on life support again, maybe next time should be the last time, because all of the really best efforts and talents on the part of the employees will have been squandered.

RSS Feed </> Embed