The Higher Gear Group Reviews

2.7
Robert Gruen

1. Great Company Atmosphere

I have been working at The Higher Gear Group

Pros

They believe in their employees and let them manage themselves and respect them.

Cons

Most accounts that you have to work with in the automotive industry are rude and would rather not deal with you.

Pressure development to complete improvements faster

2. BAD Management, Great Coworkers

Current Employee - Software Trainer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Software Trainer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at The Higher Gear Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

none, Working here was the worst experience I have ever had

Cons

No work life balance, terrible per diem, no chance for advancement, cheap

3. No faith in employees

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at The Higher Gear Group full-time

Pros

There are many caring, engaged and long term employees at Higher Gear, and there appeared to be genuine enthusiasm about the possibility of changing some of the more negative cultural aspects of the company.

Cons

There is a major lack of communication between critical divisions of the company, which appeared to be by design. Culture shift was not supported by senior members of the organization, which made any implementation slow to impossible.

Mismanagement, Lack of Integrity

Former Employee - Training Consultant in Schaumburg, IL
    Former Employee - Training Consultant in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at The Higher Gear Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Gain valuable industry experience. At the time, the company did not want any Clients to contact the training staff directly. So when done working, the phone did not ring. The converse of this is that the Clients were always unhappy that they could never speak directly with the training staff.

Cons

Poor communication, changing targets, no formal performance evaluations, micro-management, poor benefits, lack of personal concern or value for employees, frequent weekend work, no time allotted for administrative work.

So many employees have left the company voicing to senior management their concerns. Nothing ever changes.

6. From Great to OK to Not so Good

Former Employee - Software Trainer
    Former Employee - Software Trainer

I worked at The Higher Gear Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Originally had a great team of regional managers
    - Overall Great Phone Support Team
    - Initially great senior management team
    - Good benefits
    - Used to have great time off incentives

Cons

- Most of the regional managers were let go
    - When the recession hit, there was a massive amount of layoffs and terminations. There was little communication. Many colleagues would be on their way to work, then receive a call at 7am that they are no longer employed by the company. Very little regard for employees.
    - Constant Management change-up
    - Slowly benefits were taken away
    - Initially when hired by the company you are given 5 Paid days off (includes sick days, vacation, ext)
    - After 2 years of employment you are given 10 days of paid time off
    - No company incentives
    - No recognition
    - No developmental training
    - Many false promises
    - There have been lawsuits regarding pay

When I was first employed by the Higher Gear Group it was a fantastic company to work for. There was cohesion within the company and I felt that the company cared for my overall well being. Then the company switched hands which led to over selling the product and under delivering on those promises, which made the trainers and support teams look incompetent. Then the recession hit, the automotive industry got battered and dealers started dropping CRM's. One by one employees were let go without any warning and the ones that were kept, were kept in the dark, always worried that they would be next. The management at Higher Gear is known for making wondrous promises to both it's clients and it's employees and consistently fails to to make good on those promises. It does this with little regard for anyone involved. The management needs to analyze what made the company so great in 2005-2007. If they can do that, then there's no doubt there's a great future in store for that company.

7. This Company Is A Major Joke!

Former Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at The Higher Gear Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There's nothing positive about this company.

Cons

Poor Salary
    Poor Benefits
    Lack of Communication
    Poor Management
    No Work-Life Balance
    No Clear Defined Business Model/Plan
    Outdated CRM; Old Programming Languages
    High Turnover (Clients & Staff)
    Etc, Etc, Etc...

All decisions come from the "top" so unless the owner is looking to sell his company to a competitor or step down as CEO I don't see how this company will EVER get any better.

8. Average job

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at The Higher Gear Group

Pros

Good people to work with.

Cons

No beer in the office.

Definitely Not What They Claimed To Be

Former Employee - Former Trainer in Newark, NJ
    Former Employee - Former Trainer in Newark, NJ

I worked at The Higher Gear Group

Pros

I think the best reasons to work with the company were the people. There was very much a family/team environment among the "boots on the ground" (ie. Sales, Customer Support, Tech Support, and the Trainers). I came from a number of years at ADP where customer service and building relationships at the ground level were stressed. My former coworkers did exemplify that when it came to doing all they could for the company's customers.

I was part of a batch of employees let go in a subsequent round of layoffs in the March-April of 2009 timeframe, after assurances had been made that no further jobs were in jeopardy. I was given no real reason for being selected for the layoff. I guess the best Pro for me was that I landed at another software company within three months of my departure and find it unnecessary to look back or consider re-employment should an offer ever come. I am very much more appreciated and valued at my new gig, and see a lot of the good qualities of Corporate life now than I did at The Higher Gear Group.

Cons

Unfortunately, despite the true good natures of most of the front line employees, management was another story. Raises were fair and what was promised during the interview process at first, but tapered off significantly as time went on. While token efforts were made to promote advancement, it did not always seem that the right talent was being offered the sparse promotion opportunities. For some, the offers were conditional and might have presented hardships once the employee actually did what the company wanted to have that new position/opportunity. Benefits were quite costly when someone is trying to cover themselves as well as their family, and time at home varied greatly depending upon factors unbeknownst to us in the field. Communications were difficult, and at times, decisions that should have been relatively simple and beneficial to clients never came to pass. A perfect example was a simple report change within the software that could've benefited the entire client base took over a year to develop, and cost the company a good relationship with at least one fairly large client. Instead, there was a lot of frustration at having to answer the same simple request with a "No" and "I don't know when it will be addressed", and the client literally throwing me or other employees assigned to their site out of important meetings or opportunities to work with their employees and make their usage of the product they bought better.

While it is assuredly difficult to manage a whole company, and I don't claim to have experience or knowledge in that realm, it is critical to listen to clients' needs, take feedback from employees wholeheartedly instead of selective listening, and make sure that your attitude toward your employees is that they are valued, one and all. Make sure that the CEO surrounds himself with a trustworthy team and that there is always financial openness and communication throughout the company. You would be surprised how much your employees would support you in the down times so long as you're honest to them all the time.

I know that many of the "bad" decisions that affected many of the employees in the latter part of my employment with the company were made by a President who was more trouble than he was apparently worth (and I heard is long gone with the coming of the new investment company). I also hope that the company can sincerely survive and do right by the employees who were fortunate enough to be given the opportunity to remain with a position and prove their talents and loyalty. However, if the fundamentals don't change, and the company goes on life support again, maybe next time should be the last time, because all of the really best efforts and talents on the part of the employees will have been squandered.

10. Enjoying the re-birth of the company, it is on the rise again.

Current Employee - Account Representative in Schaumburg, IL
    Current Employee - Account Representative in Schaumburg, IL

I have been working at The Higher Gear Group

Pros

New products and services that will truly help the dealers and refresh things. New opportunities for growth that were once just talk are now becoming reality. Company is getting back to the family feeling it had years ago before the rapid expansion. Much more of a team atmosphere than ever before. The program itself is being rapidly updated as well, which helps. Seems that a lot of thought and opinions are being taken into consideration when things change, not just 1 person decision as in the past. Focus is being put on our current and long standing accounts rather than the pursuit of new business, always appreciated.

Cons

Still some people bitter about past events, but their stance seems to be softening each day. Benefits package could be improved, mainly health insurance options. There are a lot of balls in the air, which makes it exciting and scarey at the same time. An aggressive timeline has been laid out for development, hoping team can meet them.

Keep following through on the ideas and plans you are promoting. The trust is coming back around, still a good team supporting the direction. Look for different benefit options for employees.

11. Higher Gear is always been a great place to work, now it is getting even better

Current Employee - Regional Management\team Leader in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Regional Management\team Leader in Chicago, IL

I have been working at The Higher Gear Group

Pros

The products, work enviroment and employees of The Higher gear Group are the absolute best in the world. Ownership has always had an eye for fun loving, hard working people that get along with each other very well.
    It absolutely tore the heart out of the management staff to do the staff reductions they had to do over the past two years, but all companies in that segment, (retail to car dealers) had to do even worse corrections in staff. The economy forced all of it.
    The company has maintained most of their clients through this storm and now, with the investment company beleiving in their products and future, their growth is a certain thing again.

Cons

The only downside to the entire company was their former President (now he is GONE!!) Jim Knight didn't quite have the people, management, product vision, or simple understanding of this business to earn his role. He was at the right place at the right time just wjen Robert was stepping back to enjoy the success of this company he had built from working around the clock for 10 years!!
    I
    RCG is amazing and now he is back!!! Hail to the REAL CHIEF!! Watch out competitors, Higher Gear is taking no prisoners ONCE AGAIN!!

Keep building, keep learning and keep those darn developers late!!