The Home Depot

4,753 Reviews

The Home Depot Chairman and CEO Frank Blake
Frank Blake
2,991 Ratings

Pros
  • They are one of few companies today that provide part time employees with benefits (in 209 reviews)

• There were some good benefits for part-timers, such as a discount on your cell phone bill (in 190 reviews)

Cons
  • No work/life balance, so be ready to not see your love ones how you might like to (in 135 reviews)

• Now they mostly hire only part time that offers very little in the way of benifits (in 241 reviews)

More Highlights

342 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Safe Job

Current Employee - Senior Inventory Analyst  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Inventory Analyst in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Great place to have a stable job, work to life balance is a positive since workload is manageable. Room for lateral movement to new departments once you're in the company.

Cons

Fair amount of turnover due to dissatisfied employees. Compensation is not on par with comparable jobs, this contributes to the high turnover. Most company values appear to just be surface level and not ingrained in the culture.

It was a good experience overall

Former Employee - Visual Merchandising  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Visual Merchandising in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Relaxed work attire.
    People willing to teach
    Changing roles when possible.
    Stock Program
    Office amenities

Cons

Hard to move pay significantly
    There can be cliches

Keep putting money into customer service at the stores.

Management doesn't to be able to coordinate across the org, challenges with work-life balance and realistic workload

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Great retail establishment, great mission (empowering people to do their own improvements, improving the living conditions of customers)

Cons

department has bad attitude, company culture seems cold, not friendly, impersonal

Soft skills training, "company culture" indoctrination/initiatives, and brand management need to be going on ALL the time, perpetually. And as far as the culture goes, dust it off and really focus on EACH area of the culture wheel. Let's face it some of those areas are flat out ignored or seem to be in various pockets of the company.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Miserable place to work

Former Employee - Finance Supervisor  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Finance Supervisor in Atlanta, GA

Pros

There is nothing good to say about this company except that there is a Willy's, Starbucks, and Chick Filet close by.

Cons

No appreciation shown to employees. Promotions given based on time spent in the office and not actual work. No work life balance or flexibility regarding days off. No employee discounts (Lowes' employees get them and their prices are not more expensive than Home Depot)

Start appreciating the low men on the totem pole. Give an employee discount. Be more accommodating to people for days off during the holidays. Amend the bonus structure.

Aug 18, 2014Client Partner

Thank you for your review. In the same way that The Home Depot’s products help people build homes and projects, the eight core values we uphold help us build a strong business and culture. Our nearly ... More

Excellent peers to work for and learn from.

Former Employee - Marketing Manager  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Atlanta, GA

Pros

I really enjoyed the flexible hours and bonus programs. The culture at The Home Depot is very inviting and engaging. Loved interacting with the customers also.

Cons

Based on years of experience and college degree the salary was much lower than expected after 4 years of service. The Home Depot does not grow company from within.

Grow company from within

Aug 15, 2014Client Partner

Thank you for sharing your review. We understand that our associates are the key to our success. We pay competitive rates and strive to create an environment where all associates feel they are ... More

What started as a great career ended with me being disrespected and "laid off"

Former Employee - Compliance Research Specialist  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Compliance Research Specialist in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Originally the company was great to work for - the benefits were awesome, raises happened often and were very substantial. I'm still friends with the people I worked with early on in my career, and we all loved the company.

Cons

After Bob Nardelli became CEO the company slid drastically from first to worst company to work for or shop in. Having zero retail experience, he was the main reason the stock dropped and sales have never rebounded to the stage before him.

Treat your employees as you want to be treated, and do not lay off people with 16 years experience because they make decent money; utilize their knowledge properly and grow the company in a positive manner.

Aug 4, 2014Client Partner

Thank you for sharing your review. Our associates are key to our success. We strive to create an environment where all associates feel they are respected, their contributions are valued and they have ... More

Lack of quality leadership

Former Employee - User Experience Architect  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - User Experience Architect in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Great salary and benefits. Opportunity to experience corporate BS first hand. Made me a stronger person.

Cons

The leadership took really talented people and squashed all the creativity and spirit out of them by micromanaging and lack of empowerment. They treated people as interchangeable productivity resources rather than individuals. It made for mediocre project outcomes and low morale.

Leadership training and team building experiences. Understand and leverage individual talent.

Aug 4, 2014Client Partner

Depending on boss and department, your experience may vary greatly; somewhat chaotic.

Current Employee - Design  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Design in Atlanta, GA

Pros

(Corporate) Growing company, lots of changes and opportunity to make an impact. There is a strong community outreach component and some nice services in the corporate HQ. In two years employees are vested in profit sharing.

Cons

(Corporate) With turnover and hiring freezes, and some processes in limbo or undefined, work can be fairly chaotic. The building is beyond capacity, and some floors have very little personal space for employees; there are few places to even make a personal cell phone call.

The HQ building has surprising instances of disrepair (bathrooms esp) and just seems crowded. Many contractors work here long term but do not seem included in simple ways to feel more part if the team. Who is in charge of what and many policies seem to be a mystery sometimes.

Jul 9, 2014Client Partner

Thank you for sharing. We value our associates and understand that they are the key to our success. We strive to create an environment where all associates feel they’re respected and that their ... More

Good Company

Former Employee - Intern  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Intern in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Friendly, Communication, work atmosphere, lots of learning,

Cons

Not much room for growth, pay

Be more involved

Jul 3, 2014Client Partner

Thank you for your feedback! We are happy to hear you enjoyed your internship with The Home Depot. We appreciate all of your hard work.

Fast-paced, plenty to learn from

Former Employee - Corp HQ  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Corp HQ in Atlanta, GA

Pros

If you like a fast-paced work environment with always new things to learn, this is the place for you. If you're looking to take a "cushy corporate job," look elsewhere. That being said, every department is different so you may find a niche area to settle down. Plenty of room for advancement if you work hard and network well.

Cons

It's almost impossible to find work-life balance and still be successful in your career here. This company is so successful because they don't settle for paper-pushers.

Give a little more work-life balance when possible.

Jul 3, 2014Client Partner

Thank you for taking the time to share a review. We are happy to hear you had a positive experience at The Home Depot and try our best to accommodate our associates’ needs.

Worked for The Home Depot? Contribute to the Community!