The Home Depot Reviews in Austin, TX

4,916 Reviews

The Home Depot Chairman and CEO Frank Blake
Frank Blake
3,084 Ratings

Pros
  • They are one of few companies today that provide part time employees with benefits (in 209 reviews)

• There were some good benefits for part-timers, such as a discount on your cell phone bill (in 190 reviews)

Cons
  • No work/life balance, so be ready to not see your love ones how you might like to (in 135 reviews)

• Now they mostly hire only part time that offers very little in the way of benifits (in 241 reviews)

More Highlights

56 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

good company

Current Employee - Pro Account Sales Associate  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Pro Account Sales Associate in Austin, TX

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

good training pay could be beter,there god comunication with manegment co workers are good and friendly and suportive

Cons

health insurance expencive could offer beter pay with experiance

....

Sep 16, 2014Client Partner

Thank you for your feedback. The Home Depot offers benefits with great coverage and protection for our associates and their families. You can read more about our benefits on our careers website under ... More

Sr. System Specialist

Current Employee - Senior Systems Specialist  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Specialist in Austin, TX

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time for less than a year

Pros

Its a good company who focuses on IT. The management is well and always opportunity to learn. They encourage the to take advantage of all opportunities in the company.

Cons

The location in Austin is not the best, but not the worst. It would be nice if it was down town, more of the center of technology. Having to work with headquaters eastern time zone.

A fitness center with showers would be awesome.

THD senior dev

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

they do some amazing things.
    Success sharing
    giving of restricted stock.

Cons

Promotions are not merit based. There are only so many of a certain level in a unit of the company so if there is someone in that slot or too many being presented or your manager does not make a strong enough case for you. You won't be promoted. Some groups advance people quickly as they grow other not so much.

The ratio of consultants to employees is way off, need more continuity.

Need to reverse the ratio of employees to contractors. the knowledge an individual gains during the course of there job has value.
    Manage expectations better, if you pump up success sharing having more $ than ever, but fail to mention there is an even greater number of employees getting a piece of the money. People will be expecting a larger check and be disappointed when it's smaller. really bad for morale.

Sep 16, 2014Client Partner

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. From the top down, the key to business at The Home Depot is our commitment to not only customer service, but to our associates. Because taking ... More

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Buy stock for 10 or 20 more years, then sell.

Former Employee - Specialty Sales Associate  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Specialty Sales Associate in Austin, TX

I worked at The Home Depot full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great people to work with, and management is better than most. Unfortunately, they have to take orders from Atlanta, which makes them capricious and unpredictable. But this is the pros. Let me think. You get to operate a lot of heavy machinery, forklifts and such, with only a minimal amount of training.

I would recommend this job to the following. 1) First time job. They hire almost anybody. 2) Returning to the work force and need to take anything (that would be me). 3) Retirees. Hell, you just want a reason to get out of the house anyway.
    That and concubine money.

Cons

They don't pay well. Not even good. Not even ok. I started at 9 dollars and hour, and that's fine. But then I rose to top salesperson in specialty, and my pay increased insignificantly. My last raise was 28 cents. No kidding. And I finished, after three years, at $10.25 an hour. Not good.

I have no advice for management. They see the writing on the wall.

They're going to do the following: 1) Not pay for well-trained and qualified employees. I admit it, if they had the standards I think they should have, I wouldn't have been hired in the first place. 2) Do with what they have and milk profits to the max. That means well-paid employees, as they used to have, are history.

Will your plumbing guy know about plumbing? Maybe, if he was hired a few years ago. But not likely now. And that doesn't matter. Home Depot plans to milk every cent of profit they can before they get swallowed whole like Amazon. Home Depot is on its last legs, make no mistake about it, but they will go out like the star they once were, a Supernova that expands to many times its size before it implodes.

I guess I do have advice for management. Send out your resumes now. While you've still got time.

Sep 16, 2014Client Partner

Thank you for sharing your review. We understand that our associates are the key to our success. We pay competitive rates and strive to create an environment where all associates feel they are ... More

Sales Associate

Former Employee - Paint Sales Associate  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Paint Sales Associate in Austin, TX

I worked at The Home Depot part-time for more than a year

Pros

I loved the willingness to work with my schedule as student in college. Fair amount of hours given, and they gave me a lot of info on my products that I used to be a knowledgable worker. Decent starting pay and ability for small bonuses.

Cons

Just issues that you would find at everywhere. I had issues with my department head being upset that I would help costumers in other departments. Nothing major.

Aug 18, 2014Client Partner

Thank you for your review. Retail associates are the face of The Home Depot for the thousands of customers who walk through the doors each day. As a retail associate you can expect to interact in a ... More

Excellent opportunities for advancement, strong values, commitment to associates.

Former Employee - Bookkeeper  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Bookkeeper in Austin, TX

I worked at The Home Depot full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The Home Depot really cares about it's employees and gives ample room for growth if you're driven. It's a company that really cares about promoting it's own people rather than hiring from outside and that's something I always focused on. In the three years I worked there I had 4 positions and two of them were moves up instead of lateral moves into other departments and was being fast tracked into a management program before I left the company to teach (I worked there throughout college).

Like many big retailers it all comes down to individual management teams and how they implement the company policies, but I found that the policies are good and when you have good management who implement them correctly instead of mistreating them it creates a wonderful work environment.

Pay was also great. Even when hiring pay rates decreased when the company was experiencing problems due to the recession they were still starting entry level workers at more than a dollar over minimum wage. They also were quick to remedy the low rates with raises and bonuses as soon as they were able.

Cons

Time off procedures could use a drastic overhaul. The company has been trying to give people more paid time off but don't expect any sizable vacation/paid leave if you haven't been in the company for at least 20 years.

If you've got a bad manager then it's going to suck. The company gives plenty of room for you to be a wonderful manager/management team, and the policies support it. However there are some managers who take complete advantage of the system and can easily ruin the work environment and make you feel unappreciated. There is also not a good checks and balances system in place for these kind of managers.

Jul 3, 2014Client Partner

Thank you for your hard work and dedication. We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. Although we are unable to comment on your specific experience, we value our associates and ... More

Great company, great leadership

Current Employee - In-Store Promoter  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - In-Store Promoter in Austin, TX

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time for less than a year

Pros

The management is encouraging and cares about your success. Coworkers are friendly and helpful. Customer first attitude is amazing and something to be proud of for the second largest retailer in the world.

Cons

There is no employee discount. In my role there is no training on store layout to help customers, just get thrown in there and asked told to figure it out. Have to have a certain personality type and thick skin to succeed as an ISP.

Keep it up, train ISP's on store layout so to improve customer service.

Jun 26, 2014Client Partner

Thank you for your feedback! We are happy to hear you are enjoying your employment with The Home Depot. From the top down, The Home Depot believes the key to business is our commitment to customer ... More

2nd Class Citizen if not management

Current Employee - Department Supervisor  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Department Supervisor in Austin, TX

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great benefits! Medical, Dental, Vision, 401K, Employee Stock Program, Vacation, Sick Time, and so much more.

Cons

Low pay, terrible management, no respect for employees at store level, poor growth, extreme favoritism, high turnover, no communication, no team effort, terrible advancement policy by way of only happens if your liked and zero professionalism.

Come up with policies that do not allow the store managers to become dictators. My way or the highway doesn't work. These people control everything and everyone. The SOP polices always say manager discretion, which leads to total control.

Jun 26, 2014Client Partner

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. We wish you were happier with your current management. Please call 1.866.698.4347 and select the option for the Associate Advice Council Group ... More

That's the way we've always done it

Former Employee - Lead Systems Engineer  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Lead Systems Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at The Home Depot full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fellow coworkers really wanted to do a good job. They are a smart bunch that wants to see the company succeed.

Cons

The mantra is: "That's the way we've always done it. Why change it?" It doesn't matter if your suggestion would save the company $500K a year.
    Management seems to only care about advancing their own careers. What's good for them personally or their team is more important than what's good for the company.
    If you don't have 10+ years in the company your opinion is no good.
    There is an underlying current of fear. They did layoffs many years ago in a very unprofessional manner and everyone still remembers those days.

Listen to your employees ideas. They actually have good ones.
    The forced cheers at quarterly meetings are awkward and not a single person likes them. It's creepy. Lose them.
    Berating an employee in front of his coworkers does not make them want to work harder. It makes them want to work elsewhere.

Apr 30, 2014Client Partner

Great company

Current Employee - Freight Team Associate  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Freight Team Associate in Austin, TX

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time for less than a year

Pros

Fantastic people to work with, rock solid schedule, clear promotion path.

Cons

Almost impossible to start full time, no part time benefits.

Apr 2, 2014Client Partner

Thank you for your review. “Taking Care of Our People” is one of our core values. We try our best to accommodate our associates’ needs.

Worked for The Home Depot? Contribute to the Community!