The Home Depot

The Home Depot Reviews in Austin, TX

Updated Jun 24, 2014

The Home Depot Chairman and CEO Frank Blake

Frank Blake

Pros
  • They are one of few companies today that provide part time employees with benefits(in 205 reviews)

• There were some good benefits for part-timers, such as a discount on your cell phone bill(in 189 reviews)

Cons
  • No work/life balance, so be ready to not see your love ones how you might like to(in 135 reviews)

• Now they mostly hire only part time that offers very little in the way of benifits(in 240 reviews)

51 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Excellent opportunities for advancement, strong values, commitment to associates.

Bookkeeper (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsThe Home Depot really cares about it's employees and gives ample room for growth if you're driven. It's a company that really cares about promoting it's own people rather than hiring from outside and that's something I always focused on. In the three years I worked there I had 4 positions and two of them were moves up instead of lateral moves into other departments and was being fast tracked into a management program before I left the company to teach (I worked there throughout college).

Like many big retailers it all comes down to individual management teams and how they implement the company policies, but I found that the policies are good and when you have good management who implement them correctly instead of mistreating them it creates a wonderful work environment.

Pay was also great. Even when hiring pay rates decreased when the company was experiencing problems due to the recession they were still starting entry level workers at more than a dollar over minimum wage. They also were quick to remedy the low rates with raises and bonuses as soon as they were able.

ConsTime off procedures could use a drastic overhaul. The company has been trying to give people more paid time off but don't expect any sizable vacation/paid leave if you haven't been in the company for at least 20 years.

If you've got a bad manager then it's going to suck. The company gives plenty of room for you to be a wonderful manager/management team, and the policies support it. However there are some managers who take complete advantage of the system and can easily ruin the work environment and make you feel unappreciated. There is also not a good checks and balances system in place for these kind of managers.

Jul 3, 2014

Thank you for your hard work and dedication. We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. Although we are unable to comment on your specific experience, we value our associates and ... More

Great company, great leadership

In-Store Promoter (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsThe management is encouraging and cares about your success. Coworkers are friendly and helpful. Customer first attitude is amazing and something to be proud of for the second largest retailer in the world.

ConsThere is no employee discount. In my role there is no training on store layout to help customers, just get thrown in there and asked told to figure it out. Have to have a certain personality type and thick skin to succeed as an ISP.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up, train ISP's on store layout so to improve customer service.

Jun 26, 2014

Thank you for your feedback! We are happy to hear you are enjoying your employment with The Home Depot. From the top down, The Home Depot believes the key to business is our commitment to customer ... More

2nd Class Citizen if not management

Department Supervisor (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsGreat benefits! Medical, Dental, Vision, 401K, Employee Stock Program, Vacation, Sick Time, and so much more.

ConsLow pay, terrible management, no respect for employees at store level, poor growth, extreme favoritism, high turnover, no communication, no team effort, terrible advancement policy by way of only happens if your liked and zero professionalism.

Advice to Senior ManagementCome up with policies that do not allow the store managers to become dictators. My way or the highway doesn't work. These people control everything and everyone. The SOP polices always say manager discretion, which leads to total control.

Jun 26, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. We wish you were happier with your current management. Please call 1.866.698.4347 and select the option for the Associate Advice Council Group ... More
  1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company

Freight Team Associate (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsFantastic people to work with, rock solid schedule, clear promotion path.

ConsAlmost impossible to start full time, no part time benefits.

Apr 2, 2014

Thank you for your review. “Taking Care of Our People” is one of our core values. We try our best to accommodate our associates’ needs.

That's the way we've always done it

Lead Systems Engineer (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsFellow coworkers really wanted to do a good job. They are a smart bunch that wants to see the company succeed.

ConsThe mantra is: "That's the way we've always done it. Why change it?" It doesn't matter if your suggestion would save the company $500K a year.
    Management seems to only care about advancing their own careers. What's good for them personally or their team is more important than what's good for the company.
    If you don't have 10+ years in the company your opinion is no good.
    There is an underlying current of fear. They did layoffs many years ago in a very unprofessional manner and everyone still remembers those days.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees ideas. They actually have good ones.
    The forced cheers at quarterly meetings are awkward and not a single person likes them. It's creepy. Lose them.
    Berating an employee in front of his coworkers does not make them want to work harder. It makes them want to work elsewhere.

Apr 30, 2014

Good for retail

Cos (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsSome benefits, positive influence on local community, monday-friday for my position as Customer Order Specialist, rewards, opportunity to move up readily available if you want to put in the effort and terrible schedule.

ConsWorked here 6.5 years, was regularly commemorated for achievements and asked to be a supervisor, but they REFUSE to pay competitively. I eventually had no choice but to take another job offer (I gave them the opportunity to meet the offer of $15/hr, but they "couldnt"). Also, management will constantly micromanage all the way up the chain of command, so you constantly have "big wigs" visiting the store and changing procedures and processes and differdnt supervisors telling you different things constantly. Finally, and this is the WORST, favoritism and fear of offending homosexual employees. I promise you, I have nothing against anyone for their life choices; I literally couldn't care less if your straight, gay, married to your cousin or into beastiality. That being said, I get infuriated with companies that refuse to address issues like harassment, or to allow rules like attendance or dress code to be broken by someone simply because of their sexual orientation. Home Depot is horrible at this and it is viewed as favoritism by the other associates and is horrible for morale.

Advice to Senior ManagementTruly play into the open door policy. Listen to your associates & stand up for them. It used to be this way, but HD has lost sight of it. As for the big guys in Atlanta, you may want to rethink the criteria for new hires. Just because they'll work for $7.50/hr doesn't mean they're the best choice... we tell customers all the time, "you get what you pay for", shouldn't you remember that too? I was an AWESOME associate and would've stayed on for 20+ years if you had just paid competitively.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Apr 14, 2014

Thank you for sharing your review. We understand that our associates are the key to our success. We pay competitive rates and strive to create an environment where all associates feel they are ... More

Home Depot Cashier Review

Cashier (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsIt is really easy to move up in the company, especially if you work hard. Also they are extremely flexible with hours especially for students

ConsRaises are minimal and the pay is not that good especially with what is expected of you.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen more to the employees especially cashiers that get little recognition

Apr 2, 2014

Thanks for taking the time to share your comments. We have shared your feedback with others. Our associates are encouraged to adopt and adapt good ideas from others, and initiate creative and ... More

My Years with Home Depot

Department Supervisor (Former Employee) Cedar Park, TX

ProsBenefits of 401k ,insurance and shock purchase and team share

ConsLong hours Retail holiday schedules no time for family during holiday seasons

Advice to Senior ManagementThe standards for upper managers to hourly associates should be the same and team share should also be equal

Feb 3, 2014

Thank you for your feedback. At The Home Depot, we strive to provide an environment where associates feel they’re valued, treated fairly, and respected. Taking care of our people is one of our core ... More

Maybe one of the better places to work, salary about average.

Plumbing Sales (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsDepends on the management, but overall, a nice place to work. Most days went smoothly, but weekends were busy. First manager, Mike, was on the floor helping out when it was super busy. Subsequent managers stays off the sales floor.

ConsIf you get a picky manager, then it's tough. Most mangers are OK, but some are not as easy to work for than others. On your feet a lot, tho

Advice to Senior ManagementWatch the managers. The best lead from the front. They led by example. The last managers at 4-points led from behind, not enough to rally the troops.

Feb 5, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share a review. Our associates and managers alike are essential parts of The Home Depot’s network. Please call 1.866.698.4347 and select the option for the Associate ... More

I have met some great people at the Home Depot, but overall opinion of the staff is pure laziness.

Merchandiser (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsI've met some really great friends
    Benefits
    Hours of MET Team

ConsLazy store associates
    No associate discount
    Horrible pay (hardly enough to earn a living) plan on getting another job

Worked for The Home Depot? Contribute to the Community!