The Home Depot Reviews in Chicago, IL

4,820 Reviews

The Home Depot Chairman and CEO Frank Blake
Frank Blake
3,030 Ratings

Pros
  • They are one of few companies today that provide part time employees with benefits (in 209 reviews)

• There were some good benefits for part-timers, such as a discount on your cell phone bill (in 190 reviews)

Cons
  • No work/life balance, so be ready to not see your love ones how you might like to (in 135 reviews)

• Now they mostly hire only part time that offers very little in the way of benifits (in 241 reviews)

More Highlights

39 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Fun and energizing atmosphere

Current Employee - Associate  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

If you enjoy sharing your knowledge or testing your creativity, Home Depot will supply and endless stream of your kind of experiences. YOUR experience and enthusiasm is what made Home Depot famous and it is still alive with many of the associates.
    The pressure is on when the traffic peaks, but it rarely lasts for more than an hour or so in any given area. That being said, wear good shoes and you'll get your 10,000 daily steps in to keep you fit.

Cons

At times the new retail methodology of part time and fewer people in the aisles is exasperating, but if you can appreciate being the person making people happy, you will enjoy working in the big box.
    People looking to advance are too often willing to sacrifice those under them with impossible tasking while they stroll through their daily list of "things to do ".

My advise comes from 40 years of watching people make the wrong choices. Management would increase the bottom line if they went back to basics. Knowledge is power! You created the near perfect retail experience and took all the strength out of it. If you add 10% strength (people working well in the aisles) you will add 20% to the sales. That is what you are losing every time aisles are empty or under staffed and you lose sales and sacrifice merchandise to vaandalism and theft.

20 years with The Home Depot. 16 years in Management. 13 years Salaried.

Current Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The Bonuses. Stock options. Option to purchase Stocks.

Cons

Various Store Manager business directions and processes. Some are VERY UNREALISTIC!!!!!! Some Store Managers run the stores without and regards to the associates. Some associates feel as if they are worthless. The feelings are the hourly's are a dime a dozen!!! Health benefits are expensive.

Must have patience. Some Assist Managers are forced to take medical leave due to stress and pressure. Then Retaliated and treated differently when returning back from leave.

Aug 21, 2014Client Partner

Thank you for your feedback. At The Home Depot, we strive to provide an environment where associates feel they’re valued, treated fairly, and respected. Taking care of our people is one of our core ... More

Head Cashier

Current Employee - Head Cashier  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Head Cashier in Chicago, IL

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time for more than a year

Pros

Promotion opportunities, amazing co-workers, benefits package

Cons

Unpredictable schedule, SCO, under appreciated cashiers

Jul 21, 2014Client Partner

Thank you for your feedback. The Home Depot offers benefits with great coverage and protection for our associates and their families. You can read more about our benefits on our careers website under ... More

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Sales Associate

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good Company, Flexible and busy life

Cons

None so far that i know of

Do what you do

Jun 18, 2014Client Partner

Thank you for taking the time to share a review. We are happy to hear you are having a positive experience at The Home Depot.

Work here is you only need a part time job

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at The Home Depot part-time for more than a year

Pros

Very flexible with scheduling for part time employees. Co-workers were great !

Cons

Hard to get promoted to full time and leadership from management varies from store to store. If you weren't "liked" by management it didn't matter if you were an awesome employee, you went no where in the company. Pay could be better for the work, be prepared for physical work. Very high turn-over of help, Never enough product on shelves...customers complain about the out of stocks constantly.

Promote fairly, not by who is liked the best. Pay a little more and you might be happier with the employees and they might stay longer, so your turn-over would not be as high. Your management team should have better leadership and people skills...results will be better employees.

Jul 3, 2014Client Partner

Thanks for taking the time to share your comments. We have shared your feedback with others. Our associates are encouraged to adopt and adapt good ideas from others, and initiate creative and ... More

Reality does not match branding or public image

Former Employee - OUTSIDE SALES  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Chicago, IL

I worked at The Home Depot full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I would like to be able to put some pro's into writing but find it difficult after nearly a decade of being an employee, my coworkers were the highlight

Cons

Averaged a new manager per year, training was blah, blah and blah, cyma or cover your managers a.., you are only a number, like 7 of 9

Listen to the collective business intelligence of the front line personnel

Jun 6, 2014Client Partner

A god company to learn about business

Former Employee - Receiving  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Receiving in Chicago, IL

I worked at The Home Depot full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Benefits are acceptable, no growth if you are over 40. Stable company to work for.

Cons

Management not well trained. There is no training to assist people to become promoted.

Mar 11, 2014Client Partner

Thank you for taking the time to share your review. Did you know we offer a variety of training courses, leadership programs, mentoring programs and promotion opportunities to associates at all ... More

drama

Former Employee - Head Cashier  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Head Cashier in Chicago, IL

I worked at The Home Depot part-time for less than a year

Pros

learn a lot about different tools,equipment,wood,etc

Cons

front end(cashiers) management no favoritism

be more organized and more attentive to front end operations on a daily basis

Mar 12, 2014Client Partner

Great place to work short term, ie, student, retiree, part time.

Current Employee - Paint Sales Associate  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Paint Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Associates are great, everyone is friendly, family environment, great feeling to help customers solve problems, and/or find what they are looking for.

Cons

Pay isn't that great, slightly over minimum wage, & benefits are watered down, bare minimum to say they offer coverage. Company has cut a lot of old perks they use to offer, i.e., badge awards, benefits for part timers, vacation roll over, depending on state, vacation is longer allowed to be rolled over. Also, not enough coverage on floor, due to company cutting hours, if it gets busy there are no associates to help customers & associates are left covering 2 departments (basically overworked), not to mention losing pay due to hours being cut.

Bring back perks that reward employees for doing a great job & going the extra mile, need more employee appreciation, reward employees who have worked at Hm Dpt for the long haul (5+, 10+ years). Also, if you cut old perks, implement new ones, let your associates know that they are appreciated!

Mar 19, 2014Client Partner

Thank you for sharing your review. We understand that our associates are the key to our success. We pay competitive rates and strive to create an environment where all associates feel they are ... More

It's what you make of it

Current Employee - Millwork Specialist  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Millwork Specialist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time for more than a year

Pros

Interacting with the consumers is going to be fulfilling or a pain in the .... but it's up to you. Great if you enjoy home improvement, you can learn a lot from the customers too. THD will greatly support advancement but not just because you ask, you have to work hard and earn it.

Cons

Retail hours with no logic to schedule.

General weekly or monthly rotation of shifts so some planning could be done by employees. Very difficult to volunteer anywhere with no rhyme or reason to the schedule.

Worked for The Home Depot? Contribute to the Community!