The Home Depot Reviews in Chicago, IL

4,916 Reviews

The Home Depot Chairman and CEO Frank Blake
Frank Blake
3,084 Ratings

Pros
  • They are one of few companies today that provide part time employees with benefits (in 209 reviews)

• There were some good benefits for part-timers, such as a discount on your cell phone bill (in 190 reviews)

Cons
  • No work/life balance, so be ready to not see your love ones how you might like to (in 135 reviews)

• Now they mostly hire only part time that offers very little in the way of benifits (in 241 reviews)

More Highlights

125 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great place to work

Current Employee - Specialty Sales Associate  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Specialty Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

secure job!!! Lots of work. love the ever changing product.

Cons

great place to work.. no cons at this time

good job. stay around longer.

Sep 16, 2014Client Partner

Thank you for your feedback! We are happy to hear you are enjoying your employment with The Home Depot. Keep up the great work!

Fun and energizing atmosphere

Current Employee - Associate  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

If you enjoy sharing your knowledge or testing your creativity, Home Depot will supply and endless stream of your kind of experiences. YOUR experience and enthusiasm is what made Home Depot famous and it is still alive with many of the associates.
    The pressure is on when the traffic peaks, but it rarely lasts for more than an hour or so in any given area. That being said, wear good shoes and you'll get your 10,000 daily steps in to keep you fit.

Cons

At times the new retail methodology of part time and fewer people in the aisles is exasperating, but if you can appreciate being the person making people happy, you will enjoy working in the big box.
    People looking to advance are too often willing to sacrifice those under them with impossible tasking while they stroll through their daily list of "things to do ".

My advise comes from 40 years of watching people make the wrong choices. Management would increase the bottom line if they went back to basics. Knowledge is power! You created the near perfect retail experience and took all the strength out of it. If you add 10% strength (people working well in the aisles) you will add 20% to the sales. That is what you are losing every time aisles are empty or under staffed and you lose sales and sacrifice merchandise to vaandalism and theft.

Set up to fail.

Current Employee - Merchandise Department Supervisor  in  Bolingbrook, IL
    Current Employee - Merchandise Department Supervisor in Bolingbrook, IL

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time for more than a year

Pros

possible advancement opportunity, great HR and flexible schedule for a retailer. As a department supervisor, you truly run your own business.

Cons

down to earth people but a general pessimistic attitude is prevalent in the entire store. chaotic work schedule in peak season. bonuses are usually something to laugh at. training is terrible, web based and no one pays attention to it.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The coworkers were great, but the pay just wasn't worth it.

Former Employee - Lot Associate  in  Schererville, IN
    Former Employee - Lot Associate in Schererville, IN

I worked at The Home Depot part-time for less than a year

Pros

From the very beginning, all of my coworkers were extremely friendly. I am a pretty shy person, so it was really helpful for them to welcome me. Also I really think that they provide excellent customer service compared to other hardware companies.

Cons

My legs ached and ached from walking to get carts for hours on end.

Certify the lot associates to drive fork lifts.

Sep 16, 2014Client Partner

Thank you for taking the time to share your review. Did you know we offer a variety of training courses, leadership programs, mentoring programs and promotion opportunities to associates at all ... More

Don't Bother

Current Employee - Head Cashier  in  Geneva, IL
    Current Employee - Head Cashier in Geneva, IL

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time for less than a year

Pros

The people you work with are all really great.

Cons

-Management will not write up people when they commit infractions deserving said write-ups
    -The asds (h/r) uses a computer to do the schedule leaving key departments empty for the large part of the day
    -Management will tell you they need you to run other departments yet give you no training or no front end coverage to train
    -My former store would cut shifts so often, all upper management got bonuses, yet the people who do the work saw nothing
    -very hard to get promoted (we had an opening for a 30 hr spot on the front end. there were many qualified applicants within the store that applied, and they hired an "outsider" that quit before she made it to the floor)

-Have a person check the schedules instead of a computer
    -If you want to be the world greatest customer service provider in the retail game, see that you have to take care of your employees, too
    -Give time to your employees to train...15 minutes before a department is to be covered no time to train someone on how to run the department's technology
    -Back your supervisors and dept. heads instead of letting subordinates run the store
    -If you must stick an associate in a department they've never worked or been trained in, when they ask for help give it to them instead of heaving a huge postal worker/dmv sigh
    -know what each departments professional limitations are and don't assume we can do anything because you say it is ok
    -Stop the cutting hours, because we can't make a living on what we are paid as it is.
    -Stop being so damn apathetic because "you are busy and have work to do"

Sep 16, 2014Client Partner

Thank you for your hard work and dedication. We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. Although we are unable to comment on your specific experience, we value our associates and ... More

20 years with The Home Depot. 16 years in Management. 13 years Salaried.

Current Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The Bonuses. Stock options. Option to purchase Stocks.

Cons

Various Store Manager business directions and processes. Some are VERY UNREALISTIC!!!!!! Some Store Managers run the stores without and regards to the associates. Some associates feel as if they are worthless. The feelings are the hourly's are a dime a dozen!!! Health benefits are expensive.

Must have patience. Some Assist Managers are forced to take medical leave due to stress and pressure. Then Retaliated and treated differently when returning back from leave.

Aug 21, 2014Client Partner

Thank you for your feedback. At The Home Depot, we strive to provide an environment where associates feel they’re valued, treated fairly, and respected. Taking care of our people is one of our core ... More

Home Depot review

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate  in  Glenview, IL
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Glenview, IL

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time for less than a year

Pros

Like to help customers, like to solve problems, good feeling from being involved with customer with their new update to their home

Cons

Work hours, no benefits, no discounts, crabby co-workers, co-workers are not willing to have new employee properly trained

Aug 15, 2014Client Partner

Thank you for your review. “Taking Care of Our People” is one of our core values. We try our best to accommodate our associates’ needs.

My experience here was ok, management was really uptight but if you get on there good side everything is fine.

Former Employee - Material Handler  in  Joliet, IL
    Former Employee - Material Handler in Joliet, IL

I worked at The Home Depot full-time for less than a year

Pros

Training was really detailed and they have great beneifts.

Cons

They micromanage, they also take a long time to follow through with some of your personal request such as being trained on the fork lift.

Be quicker with going through with the smaller request.

Aug 18, 2014Client Partner

Thank you for sharing your review. We understand that our associates are the key to our success. We pay competitive rates and strive to create an environment where all associates feel they are ... More

Such a great company to work for

Former Employee - Employee  in  McHenry, IL
    Former Employee - Employee in McHenry, IL

I worked at The Home Depot full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Working there was a great experience.

Cons

Nothing negative. You have to like people!

Aug 15, 2014Client Partner

Thank you for your feedback! We are happy to hear you enjoyed your employment with The Home Depot. We appreciate all of your hard work. `

Decent job

Current Employee - Lot Associate Lumber Associate Pro Puller  in  Hobart, IN
    Current Employee - Lot Associate Lumber Associate Pro Puller in Hobart, IN

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits and experience when it comes to using the forklift and other machinery

Cons

Can be very unorganized and not compensated enough for the work you do

Worked for The Home Depot? Contribute to the Community!