The Home Depot

The Home Depot Chairman and CEO Frank Blake

Frank Blake

(2,832 ratings)

4,466 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Now hires part time associates at minimal compensation and expects the same results"
    in 191 reviews
  • "There were some good benefits for part-timers, such as a discount on your cell phone bill"
    in 175 reviews
Cons:
  • "No work/life balance, so be ready to not see your love ones how you might like to"
    in 120 reviews
  • "Its also hard to get a full time position since most of the associates are part time"
    in 222 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Exactly what I thought it would be like.

Freight Team Operator (Current Employee)

ProsSimple to do and easy money. It's a part-time job, don't expect too much.

ConsYou can tire yourself out very easily. Take your time and bring water. If you can't do any heavy lifting, don't even bother applying.

The Home Depot Client Partner responded to this review Jul 9, 2014 EditDelete
    Thank you for taking the time to share a review. We are happy to hear you are having a positive experience at The Home Depot.

Great place to work over all

Customer Service Associate (Current Employee)
    Knoxville, TN

Proshours are great manager is wonderful

Consa lot of training to get in the door but total worth it after that is over with.

Advice to Senior Managementhire more full time employee's

The Home Depot Client Partner responded to this review Jul 8, 2014 EditDelete
    Thank you for your feedback! We are happy to hear you are enjoying your employment with The Home Depot. Keep up the great work!

Great company in reference to career growth

Store Manager (Former Employee)
    Miami, TX

Proscarreer growth,training, over 2k stores, benefits and compensation

Conswork life balance as a manager was very hard.

The Home Depot Client Partner responded to this review Jul 3, 2014 EditDelete
    Thank you for taking the time to share a review. We are happy to hear you had a positive experience at The Home Depot.
  • We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I enjoy it!

ProsAdvancement opportunities in the company

ConsSome of the associates can be a bit lazy

Good company.

Lead Generator (Current Employee)

ProsTHD cares for it's associates and strives to show it on many different levels. From career development to helping in time of financial need... They go above and beyond most other companies.

ConsManagement is not always consistent in their support of associates. Help is not always timely.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpeak less about values... Show your values through action and example.

The Home Depot Client Partner responded to this review Jul 3, 2014 EditDelete
    Thank you for sharing. An important part of The Home Depot is giving of our time, talent, energy and resources to our community and society.

Good

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood Benefits and some stores have very good employees and good starting pay friendly people, they do care about family issues

ConsChanging hours, some stores have bad management, hours are constantly changing need mpre steady hours, need to fix some internal polcies

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

The Home Depot Client Partner responded to this review Jul 3, 2014 EditDelete
    Thank you for taking the time to share a review. Retail associates are the face of The Home Depot for the thousands of customers who walk through the doors each day. As a retail associate you can ... More

Excellent opportunities for advancement, strong values, commitment to associates.

Bookkeeper (Former Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsThe Home Depot really cares about it's employees and gives ample room for growth if you're driven. It's a company that really cares about promoting it's own people rather than hiring from outside and that's something I always focused on. In the three years I worked there I had 4 positions and two of them were moves up instead of lateral moves into other departments and was being fast tracked into a management program before I left the company to teach (I worked there throughout college).

Like many big retailers it all comes down to individual management teams and how they implement the company policies, but I found that the policies are good and when you have good management who implement them correctly instead of mistreating them it creates a wonderful work environment.

Pay was also great. Even when hiring pay rates decreased when the company was experiencing problems due to the recession they were still starting entry level workers at more than a dollar over minimum wage. They also were quick to remedy the low rates with raises and bonuses as soon as they were able.

ConsTime off procedures could use a drastic overhaul. The company has been trying to give people more paid time off but don't expect any sizable vacation/paid leave if you haven't been in the company for at least 20 years.

If you've got a bad manager then it's going to suck. The company gives plenty of room for you to be a wonderful manager/management team, and the policies support it. However there are some managers who take complete advantage of the system and can easily ruin the work environment and make you feel unappreciated. There is also not a good checks and balances system in place for these kind of managers.

The Home Depot Client Partner responded to this review Jul 3, 2014 EditDelete
    Thank you for your hard work and dedication. We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. Although we are unable to comment on your specific experience, we value our associates and ... More

Good

ProsOpportunity of advancement for those willing to work

Consmore training opportunities geared toward advancement

The Home Depot Client Partner responded to this review Jul 3, 2014 EditDelete

Above average for a big box retailer

Department Supervisor (Current Employee)
    Colonia, NJ

ProsFlexible hours. Above minimum wage salary. Lots of training. Profit sharing and associate discounts. Events. Employee self-service system (you can check your schedule and request days off from your phone).

ConsSalary for Department Heads is abysmal when you consider all their responsibilities and pressure. Very difficult to get a full-time job unless you're a supervisor. Shifts can be crazy Ex. 4 am-

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider reviewing your DH raises.

The Home Depot Client Partner responded to this review Jun 18, 2014 EditDelete

One of the best companies out there.

ProsCompany really takes care of associates. Learn a lot from others around you. Real family friendly atmosphere.

ConsCan get stressful with many shoppers and few associates.

The Home Depot Client Partner responded to this review Jul 3, 2014 EditDelete

Worked for The Home Depot? Contribute to the Community!

The Home Depot Videos

The Home Depot – Why Work for Us?

Our Company When it was founded in 1978 by Bernie Marcus and Arthur Blank, The Home Depot began changing consumers’ perspectives about how they could care for and improve their homes. The Company created the… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at The Home Depot reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for The Home Depot CEO Frank Blake. All 4,466 reviews posted anonymously by The Home Depot employees.