The Home Depot

The Home Depot Chairman and CEO Frank Blake

Frank Blake

(2,842 ratings)

4,478 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Now hires part time associates at minimal compensation and expects the same results"
    in 191 reviews
  • "There were some good benefits for part-timers, such as a discount on your cell phone bill"
    in 175 reviews
Cons:
  • "No work/life balance, so be ready to not see your love ones how you might like to"
    in 120 reviews
  • "Its also hard to get a full time position since most of the associates are part time"
    in 222 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

"Good job, people just settle"

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWorking environment was good, work around your schedule

ConsJust get paid hourly no commission, expect so much from employees, with little pay, Long shifts, Monthly safety test, no discounts

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees, respect your employees, the employees could only do so much,

The Home Depot Client Partner responded to this review Jul 3, 2014 EditDelete
    Thank you for your review. “Taking Care of Our People” is one of our core values. We try our best to accommodate our associates’ needs.

improving everyday

Flushing, NY

ProsCompany gives back to the associates. Potential bonus check twice a year to hourly associates if plan is meet. Management creating a fun place to work.

ConsCompany is constantly changing toward new technology but not up to date yet.

The Home Depot Client Partner responded to this review Jun 26, 2014 EditDelete
    Thank you for sharing. An important part of The Home Depot is giving our time, talent, energy and resources to our community and society.

Great place,great coworkers,approachable management.

Austintown, OH

ProsLots of opportunity to learn, fantastic team to work with, good, stable company, management acts like part of the team. THD is a company I'm proud to be a part of, because they do a lot to give back to the community. They are also great for a thank you when you do a good job, which goes farther than most people realize.

ConsFavoritism, good people overlooked for promotion, part timers can't afford to live on wages, full time very hard to get unless you are part of management's "in crowd," and even then isn't available often. All of this gives the impression that the company really doesn't care that associates are struggling to survive.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake an honest look at who is good for your company vs. who kisses butt the best. Reward your loyal employees with hours and pay that allow them to stay with THD and still have a home and food.

The Home Depot Client Partner responded to this review Jun 18, 2014 EditDelete
    Thank you for sharing. An important part of The Home Depot is giving of our time, talent, energy and resources to our community and society.
  • We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Company, lots of room to move up

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat benefits even for part time people, flexible hours, consistent

ConsWorking out in the heat

The Home Depot Client Partner responded to this review Jun 18, 2014 EditDelete
    Thank you for taking the time to share a review. We are happy to hear you had a positive experience at The Home Depot.

Friendly, knowledgeable, and professional associates and managers!

Hardware Associate (Current Employee)
    Parker, CO

ProsA positive environment to work in. Strong personal company values!

ConsHave not had any challenges to deal with.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement does an excellent job!

The Home Depot Client Partner responded to this review Jun 26, 2014 EditDelete
    Thank you for your feedback! We are happy to hear you are enjoying your employment with The Home Depot. Keep up the great work!

Great company, great leadership

In-Store Promoter (Current Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsThe management is encouraging and cares about your success. Coworkers are friendly and helpful. Customer first attitude is amazing and something to be proud of for the second largest retailer in the world.

ConsThere is no employee discount. In my role there is no training on store layout to help customers, just get thrown in there and asked told to figure it out. Have to have a certain personality type and thick skin to succeed as an ISP.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up, train ISP's on store layout so to improve customer service.

The Home Depot Client Partner responded to this review Jun 26, 2014 EditDelete
    Thank you for your feedback! We are happy to hear you are enjoying your employment with The Home Depot. From the top down, The Home Depot believes the key to business is our commitment to customer ... More

great Company

Assistant Manager (Former Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

ProsOpportunity for career advancement, Core values followed at all locations. Training is good, ongoing training is required. Can attend school while employed

ConsLong Hours, training program for new associates needs to be more hands on mostly computer based and non personal. work life balance always a challenge

The Home Depot Client Partner responded to this review Jun 26, 2014 EditDelete
    Thank you for your feedback! We are happy to hear you enjoyed your employment with The Home Depot. We appreciate all of your hard work.

One location was GREAT, another location was not as good...

Cashier (Former Employee)

ProsDecent training and a friendly atmosphere. One location I worked at for almost a year before moving. They were very much like a family. Everyone knew each other and worked well together. That store was very successful.

ConsManagers of the store make all the difference in the work environment. I could tell that a store wasn't managed very well and it made the job harder for everyone to work together.

Advice to Senior ManagementPick store managers very wisely and listen to lower employees about how to make the store run smoother.

The Home Depot Client Partner responded to this review Jun 26, 2014 EditDelete
    Thank you for taking the time to share a review. Our associates and managers alike are essential parts of The Home Depot’s network. We appreciate your feedback.

I love working here.

Department Supervisor (Current Employee)
    Colorado Springs, CO

ProsThe work is challenging. The management gives me room to be an entrepreneur. Customer service is truly the top priority for our company.

ConsThe hours are so random that having a normal life outside of work is difficult. Buy in of real costumer service from some associates doesn't happen. They're just here to draw a paycheck.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate, communicate, communicate. Especially with the night crew being so lousy, help us keep the overheads in better shape.

The Home Depot Client Partner responded to this review Jun 24, 2014 EditDelete
    Thank you for your review. Retail associates are the face of The Home Depot for the thousands of customers who walk through the doors each day. As a retail associate you can expect to interact in a ... More

Awesome place to work as a part timer!

Boston, MA

ProsAs long as you take care of the customer and follow the rules it can be a lot of fun, "

ConsHours and pay could be better. A real PAIN to change the scheduled week. Advancement opportunities are not clearly described.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize and treat part timers with the respect they deserve, thay are afterall the majority of your workforce...!

The Home Depot Client Partner responded to this review Jun 18, 2014 EditDelete

Worked for The Home Depot? Contribute to the Community!

The Home Depot Videos

The Home Depot – Why Work for Us?

Our Company When it was founded in 1978 by Bernie Marcus and Arthur Blank, The Home Depot began changing consumers’ perspectives about how they could care for and improve their homes. The Company created the… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at The Home Depot reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for The Home Depot CEO Frank Blake. All 4,478 reviews posted anonymously by The Home Depot employees.