The Home Depot

The Home Depot Reviews in Houston, TX

Updated Jul 22, 2014

The Home Depot Chairman and CEO Frank Blake

Frank Blake

Pros
  • They are one of few companies today that provide part time employees with benefits(in 205 reviews)

• There were some good benefits for part-timers, such as a discount on your cell phone bill(in 189 reviews)

Cons
  • No work/life balance, so be ready to not see your love ones how you might like to(in 135 reviews)

• Now they mostly hire only part time that offers very little in the way of benifits(in 240 reviews)

87 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Family-like work enviroment

Cashier (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsFriendly coworkers, Quick training, opportunity for growth, fun,

ConsIt gets a bit tiring since every employee in the building will eventually have to lift anything from small bricks to 40 lb bags of cement.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to employees more, not just management employees but lower level employees. Especially cashiers, since they are the ones who go face to face with customers and know what they complain about.

Grate place to work

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Missouri City, TX

ProsGood environment to work at

ConsMaking sales is the most challenge

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employee good

Jul 21, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share a review. We are happy to hear you are having a positive experience at The Home Depot.

Great company to work for, slow to promote.

Merchandising Execution Area Supervisor (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsGreat health insurance, success sharing, bonuses twice a year, consistent market share growth, pioneer in the industry, excellent training program

ConsNO Employee discount, slow to promote, poor customer service training, interdepartmental lack of communication

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote from talent not from years served. Listen to your employees on the front lines before making changes. An employee discount would help limit internal theft and promote employee loyalty and moral.

Jul 3, 2014

Thank you for your feedback. At The Home Depot, we strive to provide an environment where associates feel they’re valued, treated fairly, and respected. Taking care of our people is one of our core ... More
  1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Team work environment

Millwork Specialist (Former Employee) Conroe, TX

Proswork with good people and learn a lot. You can move up quickly if you work hard and follow all the rules.

Consunder staffed, can be very stressful. I started ten years ago when the starting pay was ok, now they don't pay much and the hours are crazy, even for retail. Now they mostly hire only part time that offers very little in the way of benifits

Jul 8, 2014

Thank you for your review. “Taking Care of Our People” is one of our core values. We try our best to accommodate our associates’ needs.

What it really is

Department Supervisor (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsIf you are self motivated you can learn alot

ConsIt really is about who you suck up too not how qualified you might be

Advice to Senior ManagementStop looking at the hourly associates and look to the assistant management team, poor asms will ruin a good team

Jul 8, 2014

Thank you for sharing your review. Our associates are key to our success. We strive to create an environment where all associates feel they are respected, their contributions are valued and they have ... More

The Home Depot is a challenging company to work for.

Department Supervisor (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsThe Home Depot has competitive pay rates, and great bonus programs. They offer training in several areas. Flexible schedule and hours. Several areas of work to choose from.

ConsHome Depot has great values, if only they could adhere to them. Home Depot managers have come to think they own their employees and that their family life is not important. Too many tasks expected with not enough time or help to complete. Too much emphasis on things other than customer service.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet to know your associates and about their lives outside of Home Depot.

Jun 18, 2014

Thank you for sharing your review. We understand that our associates are the key to our success. We pay competitive rates and strive to create an environment where all associates feel they are ... More

Not as great as they advertise themselves to be.

Cashier (Current Employee) Porter, TX

ProsThe people that I work with are great people. They provide food for employees in the break room so that those who don't have food or money to buy food can still have a lunch while at work.

ConsThey are very lacking in training. They force you to watch training videos for two weeks or more and then throw you out on the floor expecting you to know how to do everything without any hands on training. While it is totally understandable that they want everyone to have open availability on weekends they don't allow anyone to have off on Sundays or even just Sunday morning for church. They do not offer any type of employee discount. If you come in on an off day to shop, on top of not receiving any employee discounts, you are not allowed to purchase things to be marked down 50-70% because you are an employee. Employees typically do not get any weekends off and pretty much always work all day on the weekends. There is an extreme lack of communication throughout the store, not allowing it to be run at it's maximum potential.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagers should get more involved with the costumers and be a lot more polite. They should also take more of what the lower staff suggests into consideration when making decisions and putting out new ideas. Policies should have to be followed by every associate and not just those that are there when the management is there.

Jun 18, 2014

Thank you for your review. “Taking Care of Our People” is one of our core values. We try our best to accommodate our associates’ needs and strive to create an environment where all associates feel ... More

Great blue collar work

General Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsThere are a lot of opportunities for advancement. They have a strict time off policy, but if you're not planning on blowing off work it is a reasonable mandate. Pay is acceptable for the amount of work expected. There are also quarterly bonuses, as well as rewards for those who show exemplary work. They also have a lot of meals in house to celebrate successes, which seem to happen often. They are involved in the community with charitable organizations, so there is also the option to get involved in the community.

ConsTen hour workdays mean sticking around longer, but also allows three days off a week with an abundance of overtime available for the go getter.

May 16, 2014

Thank you for your feedback! We are happy to hear you enjoyed your employment with The Home Depot. Keep up the great work!

No Growth, Trade your time for money

Part Time Cashier (Current Employee) Cypress, TX

ProsFlexible work schedule, PTO, good medical benefits. Excellent if you need to supplement your income. Company has good values but sometimes they aren't passed down that well to store level.

ConsNo room to grow, extreme micro managing, there's nothing here to increase your skillset that would make you employable elsewhere. Part-time associates receive extreme cuts in hours. They are a stickler to the bottom line with no regards to associates livelihood.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter training, it's ok for subordinates to be competent also.

May 16, 2014

It's a job.

Cashier and Customer Service Desk/Returns (Former Employee) Alvin, TX

ProsThere are many different departments to work in. Most of the job is customer assistance. The hours are pretty flexible. There are a lot of strong employee benefits even for part-timers.

ConsThey'll work you as much as they can, without having to make you full-time. Also, their employee reward system is a little condescending (you basically get a gold star for being good).

May 6, 2014

Thanks for taking the time to share your comments. We have shared your feedback with others. Our associates are encouraged to adopt and adapt good ideas from others, and initiate creative and ... More

Worked for The Home Depot? Contribute to the Community!