The Home Depot

The Home Depot Reviews in Philadelphia, PA

Updated Jul 13, 2014

The Home Depot Chairman and CEO Frank Blake

Frank Blake

Pros
  • They are one of few companies today that provide part time employees with benefits(in 209 reviews)

• There were some good benefits for part-timers, such as a discount on your cell phone bill(in 190 reviews)

Cons
  • No work/life balance, so be ready to not see your love ones how you might like to(in 135 reviews)

• Now they mostly hire only part time that offers very little in the way of benifits(in 241 reviews)

63 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

My experience at the Home Depot was very exciting!! I learned about multiple tools'equipment 'and each individuals need

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsYou Learn fast
    Help people from simple to complex problems
    Good benefits
    Learn how to accomplish goals in small amounts of time
    learn creative ways build

ConsThe scheduling was a little rough 'but overall a great company!

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter leadership in schedule rotation.

Jun 4, 2014

Thank you for your review. “Taking Care of Our People” is one of our core values. We try our best to accommodate our associates’ needs.

Most Miserable Place on earth

Part Time Cashier (Current Employee) Wilmington, DE

Prosnone,none and more none there is nothing i can say

ConsIf you like asking a front end supervisor when you can take a bathroom break, this is the place for you. Customers are often rude and there is no help from above.

Advice to Senior Managementget a clue! You can have fun at work and still be dedicated.

Jul 21, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. We wish you were happier with your current management. Please call 1.866.698.4347 and select the option for the Associate Advice Council Group ... More

High School All Over Again!

Cashier (Current Employee) Claymont, DE

ProsIt's better than being unemployed, but certainly NOT a career for someone who wants to advance in life. It's a job, period.

ConsAt the Claymont, DE store (#1602) in particular:

1) There is no leadership. "Managers" only show up for their paychecks.

2) Effective, clear, consistent and constant communication in this store is seriously lacking.

3) The Front End (i.e Cashiers; etc): is always short-handed, does not receive support from upper-management, and is one of the most catty and thankless positions in the entire store. All other departments get away with bloody murder; while the Front End takes the rap for everything that could possibly go wrong with the customer shopping experience.

4) Since there's almost no loss prevention in this store, Cashiers pretty much have to act like the "Home Depot Police".

5) Customers are the absolute worst. They get away with "five-finger discounts" almost everyday as a result of a total lack of loss prevention presence. Additionally, the customers at this store know full well that they can complain about almost anything (whether true or not!) so that they can obtain a discount of some sort. The "customer is always right" mentality is really hurting this store's bottom-line, but the imbeciles in the upper echelons of the store and the company refuse to see this.

6) This particular Home Depot's work environment is very hostile; both internally and externally.

7) Beware of cliques; most especially on the Front End.

8) Unless you're "highly favored", don't count on being promoted anytime soon.

9) As a general rule, one has to be employed at Home Depot SIX MONTHS before he/she can "cross-train" for, or transfer to, a different department. Of course, if #8 happens to be true for you, then this doesn't apply at Store 1602.

Advice to Senior Management1) Wake up and start earning your paychecks! Consider the employees and overall working conditions before your fat wallets.

2) Realize that, without your employees, there would be no justification for your fancy, do-little positions.

3) Corporate really needs to visit this store unannounced during a busy period to see what REALLY goes on. If everyone did his/her job consistently, we wouldn't have to scramble for "announced walks".

4) If Corporate TRULY cared for its employees, it would find a way to conduct random, confidential interviews with its Associates so as to garner a much better understanding of what's TRULY happening in each store.

5) Get rid of the stupid VOCs! Most customers don't want to be bothered, and the ones who do are usually the most rotten of the bunch. VOCs don't truly measure the ENTIRE shopping experience. They focus mainly on the poor Cashiers; THUS setting them up for eventual failure.

6) Get on the same page for a change!

7) Stop promoting kiss ups and start promoting people who actually possess PEOPLE SKILLS. Also, promote employees who can run the ENTIRE STORE and not just one specific area.

8) Instead of cutting the peons' hours, CUT YOUR OWN! You don't do much of anything to justify your existence, so go home when it's slow. You could also cut your own salaries and "share the wealth".

9) Work a day in your Associates' shoes. I guarantee you'll have a much deeper appreciation for your Associates and what we do.

10) Stop hanging out and gossiping in the office! Maintain a constant presence! All too often, we don't know who our "MODs" ("Managers On-Duty") are because they HIDE.

Jul 21, 2014

Thank you for your hard work and dedication. We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. Although we are unable to comment on your specific experience, we value our associates and ... More
  1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great working conditions

Home Depot Cashier (Current Employee) Burlington, NJ

ProsOverall this is a good company to work for. They care about their employees. There is great opportunities for advancement

ConsThe training of cashiers could be better. Instead of one hour or five minutes of training there should be at least two weeks of hands on training and head cashiers should help those who do not know how to watch for fake travelers checks.

Advice to Senior ManagementTraining of employees should be more than five minutes or one hour.

Apr 25, 2014

Thanks for taking the time to share your comments. We have shared your feedback with others. Our associates are encouraged to adopt and adapt good ideas from others, and initiate creative and ... More

I really like the interactions with customers.

Specialty Sales Associate (Former Employee) Bensalem, PA

ProsThe manager was great, it was an excellent learning experience and there was a lot of thorough training.

ConsSome of the department head were not qualified and didn't do their job we..

Advice to Senior ManagementThe pay could've been better.

Apr 30, 2014

Thank you for your feedback! We are happy to hear you enjoyed your employment with The Home Depot.

Not all that

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Upper Darby, PA

ProsThe camaraderie among employees was just about the only thing that I looked forward to going in to work. The time-off policies at this location improved when new managers took over - no more questionable holiday practices. As a part-timer, work/life balance was ok. But the scheduling was far too random and at times, unfair.

ConsLow pay - Home Depot does not pay a living wage. Concrete floors with no padding caused virtually every worker I knew, to have foot, knee or back problems (including me). Very few full-time positions are available here. Disorganized inventory management, and no visible efforts to improve it; database routinely would say we had a product in-store when we did not. This Home Depot location was penny-wise but pound-poor: ie, despite insisting that customer service was the number one focus, there were many many times when an entire department had no one working it. Plus, threw away a lot of brand-new product while accepting returns of items that were broken, very old, etc. Communication is poor because it is one-way: from the top down.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the employees on the floor - they know the problems that directly affect customers and customer service. Communicate better. Stop wasting money by throwing away good product and accepting returns that should be denied. Increase security to reduce shrink that was over $1 million in 2012. Always have AT LEAST one employee in each department- this will reduce shrink and increase sales.

May 6, 2014

Bitter Sweet

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Middletown, DE

ProsThere are various opportunities and pathways. Opportunity to help people.

ConsDepending upon your store, management can be incompetent and some opportunities are dictated by who likes you.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe have a code that includes equality towards everyone, please display this with actions.

Mar 26, 2014

Thank you for your review. In the same way that The Home Depot’s products help people build homes and projects, the eight core values we uphold help us build a strong business and culture. Our nearly ... More

Overall, AMAZING company to work for! As with any employer, look out for the ones that you upset.

Asset Protection Manager (Current Employee) Phila, PA

ProsManagement salaries and benefits are great!

ConsLong mandatory hours for management 55+

Mar 19, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share a review. We are happy to hear you are having a positive experience at The Home Depot. “Taking Care of Our People” is one of our core values. We try our best to ... More

Great Company........Lazy managers

Asset Protection Specialist (Current Employee) Phila, PA

ProsI can make my own schedule, great pay, and the company really cares.

Consnot trained enough. They asked if I was ready and or needed more time.....I said more time and they said no. they will relocate you without giving you a say.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou should only be in your position if you feel confident to do it. As a manager your job is to manage and motivate your staff. I got a bad taste quickly because my managers wouldn't put the time for myself or new empoloyees

Mar 26, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your review. Did you know we offer a variety of training courses, leadership programs, mentoring programs and promotion opportunities to associates at all ... More

Enjoyable and worthwhile as a parttime associate

Cashier (Current Employee) Philadelphia, PA

Prosfriendly workers, great boss, hours

Consnone, good for a summer job

Advice to Senior Managementkeep it up.

Feb 7, 2014

Thank you for your feedback! We are happy to hear you are enjoying your employment with The Home Depot.

Worked for The Home Depot? Contribute to the Community!