The Home Depot Reviews

• Phoenix, AZ
3.2
The Home Depot President & CEO Craig Menear
Craig Menear

1. Enjoyed working with public to assist them in there remodeling needs.

Former Employee - Sales Associate, Freight Team in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Sales Associate, Freight Team in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at The Home Depot part-time

Pros

Worked with others well, and love everything to do with construction. One of the best companies to work for and no complaints.

Cons

Work load was heavy at times cosidering I worked for the busiest store in Phoenix. Sometimes under staffed so worked in several departments, which was not such a bad thing.

Advice to Management

More coverage for departments for busy times of the day. Have to say though, under staffed at times management did the best they could.

2. Love it

Current Employee - Sales Floor Associate in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Sales Floor Associate in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at The Home Depot

Pros

Very nice enviroment nice ppl to work with

Cons

Too many lazy ppl that are there to make a pay check only

Advice to Management

Make sure every body works the same, and hold people accountable of their acctions

One Step Forward, Two Steps Back

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at The Home Depot

Pros

Absolutely great benefits once you're fulltime. If you love direct interaction with customers, this job is for you. Excellent training programs, regardless of experience, in ALL areas of company interest. Tuition reembursement if your major relates to company needs. Ability to purchase stock at 15% discount as fulltime associate. Never a lax moment - always something to learn, do, discover and relate to. Customer perks and kudos can bring in extra cash for you through the Homer Award. Company periodically "pays back" any profit beyond planned financial goals to employees. Recognition of holidays usually brings food goodies for employees. If you like tabs, stickers, emblems, pins and badges, you'll love sporting them on your glow-in-the-dark apron. "Regulars" make your job worthwhile.

Cons

Although this mega-corp is the leader in home improvement products, not so in retention of positive, qualified individuals. Too much time is spent by all departments on locating inventory that is either misplaced, not on the shelf or lost/late in shipment. Apologizing to the customer for product that is not there - even though the online store shows it at your location - is the pits. Manpower shortage due to constant turnover explains their constant "Now Hiring" banners usually found at the front of the store. Wages have dropped from what they were five years ago to $10hrly. Standard breaks and lunchtimes were constantly abused in the ten months of my employ. Because consistently few employees are expected to simultaneously fulfill multiple jobs interdepartmentally, many customers become impatient with their wait. They've grown to expect full service - a good thing - but HD needs to ram up its staff to better provide this relatively new concept in the do-it-yourself environment. If you want consistant hours, go somewhere else. I'm certain my willingness to work any hours, any days and holidays got my foot in the door. Depending on your department, while you're part-time, you may squeek in no more than 28hrs. Any time beyond that puts you into the "Obama Realm" with healthcare concerns and other worker's rights.
    This IS a right-to-work state, so there is no union. Be prepared for a regimented staff of premadonnas, likened to new lieutenants fresh out of officer training school, to lock your heels more often than not. Everything is "by the book" which lessens your ability to defend yourself against their harrassing remarks or irritating counseling sessions. You're likely to get the boot for defending yourself as I did. They allow absolutely no talk back. Paranoia is a constant for those employees worried about even the slightest infarction - like missing their daily or weekly sales goals. Had the company enough resources to study why their popularity among employees is waning, they'd learn that the answer, more often that not, rests with the associate who has direct contact with the customer - not some consultant working from his desk. Overworked, understaffed and blaming the employee for company ineptitude does not sail the ship. It creates a mutinous environment.

Advice to Management

One manager's labeling or impression of his/her worker in a formal critique should remain confidential or it spells trouble for that employee. It is not a subject for the entire staff because it alienates that person from an unbiased opinion and treatment by other managers. High goals are necessary to meet and exceed the norm in this very competitive industry - but it comes at a price. Respect works both ways. Unless you listen to the employee and allow their direct interaction with your directives, you'll only succeed in distancing the entire management staff from the worker groups. Praise is a very good tool seldom used, even casually, at Home Depot. Ironically, I was actually praised for having performed very well in my job as I was being fired. When a manager learns to calm themselves before addressing an issue, problems are better resolved because there is "discussion" - from both sides of the fence. An employee's inability to properly explain or defend themselves against false alligations and insinuations is extremely offensive and beligerent on your part. There is no level playing ground in the corporate environment, but you should strive to level the inequities and strive to improve your "personnel" management skills. Some things are not by the book - life in general, which includes human nature - is not "by the book". Loosen up on your worker bees and soon your hive will produce the honey you so richly desire. Be willing to listen before judging. Be willing to change your mind mid-stream, once you know all the facts and finally, don't be afraid to be human. You WILL be given credit for relating to an employee if you admit you're not mechanically without fault. Every gear needs lubrication, but don't try to be the cog on every wheel.

5. Fun!

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at The Home Depot

Pros

None it's all good to work here because there is no cons at all here

Cons

It's all good! They are really nice and the work is a casual enviroment

Advice to Management

Keep it up

Mar 24, 2015Client Partner

Thank you for your feedback! We are happy to hear you are enjoying your employment with The Home Depot. Keep up the great work!

6. Cut your hours constantly

Current Employee - Associate in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Associate in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Most are retired people who are willing to show you the ropes

Cons

Started a four hour shift at 0445 hours and by 0700 hours I was told my hours had been cut to go home. I drove 30 miles for 2 hours and 15 minutes of work. Waste of time.

Advice to Management

Cancel people ahead of time or give them a minimum of 5 hours.

Mar 4, 2015Client Partner

Thank you for your review. “Taking Care of Our People” is one of our core values. We try our best to accommodate our associates’ needs.

7. Paint associate is where to be.

Former Employee - Paint Sales Associate in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Paint Sales Associate in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at The Home Depot

Pros

Mix cool colors, Play with colors

Cons

Horrible communication, Flip-flop schedule,

Advice to Management

Need better communication with employees. Too many managers.

unorganized

Current Employee - Department Supervisor in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Department Supervisor in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits are pretty good. discount Stock purchase plan, 401k matching, Tuition reimbursement for full time.

Cons

Each Depot is different. They make it sound like its run like the military and any associate can be dropped into a different store and know everything about that store. But if store "A" says one thing is stone for this policy, use the same at the new store, you will be written up.
    Favoritism is huge. The manager will have a few associates that won't do any work at all, but for some reason will be looked at like Depot god' s to the managers.
    Very hard to get full time if you are a student or any restrictions to you schedule at all. Even if you just want to not close 2 days a week for your class. Their idea of full time is fully available. But this is a little off when you want the benefit of Tuition reimbursement, which by the way is only for full time. Not Part time.

Advice to Management

I've been to a few stores. Each store has their issues. But it doesn't make sense when the district manager treats us like we are ants and we are failing when we were the only store making plan in the district. Yes, I believe in everyone needs growing and everyone can use improvement, but you make it sound like we are the worst store in the district. I feel like everyone is expendable in this company. You sneeze wrong and you are fired. Its not right, if we are doing the right thing for us to feel like we could lose our job at any time.

Dec 29, 2014Client Partner

Thank you for your hard work and dedication. We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. Although we are unable to comment on your specific experience, we value our associates and ... More

9. nice people

Former Employee - Cashier in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Cashier in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

no discounts. bonuses which i never saw. flexible scheduling. can get days off. understanding that life happens

Cons

you have to get credit cards and be nice to rude people

10. I have been with Home Depot for almost 20 years and I wouldn't work for anyone else.

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great co-workers and managers. I am given the freedom to own the business.

Cons

I don't have any complaints.

Oct 1, 2014Client Partner

Thank you for taking the time to share a review. We are happy to hear you are having a positive experience in your almost 20 years at The Home Depot. We appreciate all your hard work!

11. Relaxed Environment

Current Employee - Special Service Associate in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Special Service Associate in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good part time job, flexible scheduling, and good atmosphere overall. Management is very relaxed as long as you get your work done. They do semi-annual bonuses called Success sharing which is neat because it is based on the profits the store makes and your hours contributed during that time period - working 10 hours a week I received an extra $60.

Cons

It's retail so you will from time to time have unsatisfied customers that can be unpleasant.

Oct 1, 2014Client Partner

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. From the top down, the key to business at The Home Depot is our commitment to not only customer service, but to our associates. Because taking ... More