The Home Depot Reviews in Phoenix, AZ

4,955 Reviews

The Home Depot Chairman and CEO Frank Blake
Frank Blake
3,107 Ratings

Pros
  • They are one of few companies today that provide part time employees with benefits (in 209 reviews)

• There were some good benefits for part-timers, such as a discount on your cell phone bill (in 190 reviews)

Cons
  • No work/life balance, so be ready to not see your love ones how you might like to (in 135 reviews)

• Now they mostly hire only part time that offers very little in the way of benifits (in 241 reviews)

More Highlights

35 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

I have been with Home Depot for almost 20 years and I wouldn't work for anyone else.

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great co-workers and managers. I am given the freedom to own the business.

Cons

I don't have any complaints.

Relaxed Environment

Current Employee - Special Service Associate  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Special Service Associate in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time for more than a year

Pros

Good part time job, flexible scheduling, and good atmosphere overall. Management is very relaxed as long as you get your work done. They do semi-annual bonuses called Success sharing which is neat because it is based on the profits the store makes and your hours contributed during that time period - working 10 hours a week I received an extra $60.

Cons

It's retail so you will from time to time have unsatisfied customers that can be unpleasant.

It all depends on your manager

Current Employee - Millwork Department Supervisor  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Millwork Department Supervisor in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great manager, gave me autonomy to run my department.

Cons

Increase in hiring part time people. Numbering aisles so that associates now point customers to the product they're looking for.

Increase training of associates, and don't enforce policies only on workers you don't like.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Taking care of customers is my passing, it was very rewarding in that area

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good/decent pay
    customers loved me
    Lots of training
    great co-workers

Cons

Management sucks
    If u are connected you become a manager even if u know nothing
    Managements slaves you, they don't care about you (there are exceptions though)
    Management have their favorite "buddies" and they would protect them and cover up for them, having other people pay for their mistakes,
    Corporate SUCKS, they ALWAYS side with the Managers and cover up for them

They should wake up their human side
    They should lead by example
    I would not hurt them to have some product knowledge instead of just pointing out associates to help customers
    In general, they should appreciate how hard people work and stop covering the laziness and mistakes of their "buddies"

Good place to work, but could use some "tweaking."

Current Employee - Flooring Specialist  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Flooring Specialist in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time for less than a year

Pros

I work in the Flooring Dept, so there's typically manual labor, which I enjoy. For the most part, there are good work relationships since you often deal with multiple departments, the front end, service desk, etc. Being a specialist in this department, you get a lot of training, and learn an incredible amount if you didn't already know flooring. I work with the public, so that can be a challenge at times, but it also poses the advantage of having something/someone new to work with each day so it doesn't get so dull. Overall, the job itself I love.

Cons

For starters, I've been at two stores so far and one common trend is that there seems to be a lack of communication throughout. It is almost as though things just get lost in translation from the store manager and trickling all the way down to associates.
    In addition, there needs to be more accountability, primarily with department supervisors. Upper management at times needs to do a lot more than just "talk to" or "warn" a department supervisor, there needs to be accountability and an expectation of progress and change when things are not done correctly. Yet another thing that gets lost in translation, and then the associates suffer for it.
    The pay is what it is. It's decent for retail, but it's still retail. I'd like to see the hard workers get a little more pay because they deserve it.
    I'd also like to see there be more talk and be shown that there are more opportunities with growth. The company is very open about telling you that your opportunities for growth are endless, but again, this tends to get lost in translation when it comes to talking with associates to find out if they may be interested in going forward and learning new things and moving to other positions within the store, etc.
    It would be good as well if there were a little more stability with scheduling. Instead of having associates so terribly sporadic, it would be nice to have more set schedules and have an idea of when you generally will be working. And when an associate needs to have another job to supplement income, be respectful and willing to work with that.
    Lastly, (for the moment) there needs to be more accountability overall. Many times I see the ball dropped and things swept under the rug when they need not be. It's as simple as discussing it when something goes wrong and finding a solution so it doesn't happen again.

Despite the job security, the pay scale is so extremely unbalanced for the hours and work load.

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Job security is fantastic and the freedom I have to accomplish daily goals is fair. I'm a department supervisor and they let me run my department the way I want to and the way I feel it should be run. Pretty much like it's my own personal store.
    The benefits are amazing and very cheap. IE, my vision insurance is only $11 and every time I go to a different eye doctor I show them my insurance they gush about how much I'm going to get for free. Dental also fairly priced and medical is also fair.
    Management above me is pretty cool. The guys directly above me come off more as peers than bosses, and my store manager is very cool. Since she's been at the store she's given more opportunities than road blocks. The previous store manager however only wanted to hinder me.
    Home Depot offers associates all kinds of chances to move up. You're likely going to get hired on part time, but if show any ounce of potential, they'll ask you if you want to go full time and move into a department with more opportunities. Do that you could get promoted. I've seen people get promoted from part time lot associate to department supervisor after 3 months.

Cons

The problem with being a department supervisor is that you work the most extreme hours and have the heaviest work load and you won't feel like you're being paid for it. A typical work week for me is noon to midnight pretty much everyday. I'm in charge all incoming stock, making sure it has a sequenced home on the shelf, price tag, that it's stocked, that it's in the right place in the overhead, and if none of that happens I have to explain it to a manager or a customer.
    The customers have been trained by Home Depot to expect the best. I get that, but a lot of the customers are jerks. IE, I had a customer buy out my entire stock of a particular SKU on a Saturday. On Monday a regular contractor came in and lit me up for being sold out. Now it's my job to find a resolution for this guy who's yelling at me and in my face. There are cool customers though and some will present rather interesting challenges. I work in a very red state, so the new legislation on energy efficient light bulbs just angers most customers, and of course it's my fault.
    Pay is very unbalanced. You start as a cashier or lot attendant, you get the lowest pay. Start as a floor associate you get mid-grade. Department supervisors get $2 more than that. The problem is when someone has been a cashier for ten years. There are cashiers that make upwards of $22 an hour. More than any supervisor, simply because they've been a cashier for so long. They have set schedules. Most of them get weekends and nights off. Supervisors have to work every weekend, usually work closing shifts and generally have the highest stress level jobs.
    We catch flack for missing sales plan, for scoring low on customer ratings (customer ratings post weekly and usually 9.5 out of 10. Low is 9.3 so it's ridiculous), if a sales associate screws up an order, we have to fix it, we're responsible for all shrink and swell, and as mentioned, we make less than someone who runs a self check stand.
    Want to take a vacation? As a supervisor you'll have to make sure all the people in your department get theirs first. Want Thanksgiving or Christmas holiday? You're a supervisor so it won't happen, but all other associates in the store will get that time off.
    I feel worse for key carriers. Key carriers are just department supervisors who carry keys. They don't get paid more for it. They have more extreme schedules. They're always on call. Their work load is heavier. Eventually I can reach a point as a supervisor that I can step down to being a cashier and still make a decent living. It just sickens me that Home Depot chooses to keep people who don't want to move up in the company and actually compensate them for staying at the level they're at.

Supervisors should get priority schedules. 8-5 Monday through Friday and holidays off. The ratio of work load to compensation is so off balance that a more fair schedule would compensate enough. Or just raise the pay of supervisors a bit. When I saw in the news that McDonald's employees were seeking $15 an hour I was sick. For the work I do and the customers I deal with, $15 an hour would have me flipping burgers.

Jul 3, 2014Client Partner

Thank you for sharing your review. We understand that our associates are the key to our success. We pay competitive rates and strive to create an environment where all associates feel they are ... More

Routine

Former Employee - Parking Lot Associate  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Parking Lot Associate in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at The Home Depot part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great people to work with.

Cons

Customers can be picky and the management can lack enthusiasm.

Pay them more for the work they do.

Jun 4, 2014Client Partner

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. From the top down, the key to business at The Home Depot is our commitment to not only customer service, but to our associates. Because taking ... More

Great company but they have been declining on acquiring good talent cue to lower starting pay

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good benefits, can be fun place to work

Cons

too much turnover, raises are minimal, job expectations can be unrealistic

Jun 4, 2014Client Partner

Thank you for your feedback. At The Home Depot, we strive to provide an environment where associates feel they’re valued, treated fairly, and respected. Taking care of our people is one of our core ... More

Good company to work for

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

You learn a lot when you work for Home Depot. I feel I can run my own business now. I was always busy throughout the day. I loved the people I worked with. For retail the pay and benefits were good. I was always leaning something new which I liked. I also liked that you could transfer stores and did this when I was moving.

Cons

The hours were not good and hard if you are working on your BA at the same time. It is hard to move up as a supervisor because once the see you are good at your job they keep giving you other peoples work and you do not get the credit. If you are not part of the good old boys club it is very hard to move up. There were a lot of times I was in the department by my self which it made it hard to help customers or even so to the restroom if you needed too. This also was done because the company at times cuts employees hours to save money. When peoples hours are being cut everyone is on edge and micromanaging down to the minute when to clock in and out for your shift. People would be scared loosing there job and could if they did not do this.

You need to get more full-time help back in the departments. I understand it is all about delegation but when you see customers needing help just do not walk away. The upper management should know more how to do things in the departments so they can jump in and help if they need too. This way it is better customer service.

Apr 30, 2014Client Partner

Thank you for your review. “Taking Care of Our People” is one of our core values. We try our best to accommodate our associates’ needs.

The Culture: A Machine - an outdated, ineffective leadership model

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time

Pros

Flexible schedule requests via online. Interesting & fast paced. A great place for people interaction. Fellow employees can be fun (when not looking over their shoulder). Inventory technology operates pretty well. Employees have a $50 latitude to assist and satisfy the customer with their purchases, which is fairly progressive in the retail world.

Cons

The culture is customer first, however, the employees are just part of the machinery. There are lots of theoretical company platitudes and programs toward caring for the employees, which become the butt of many jokes because these are not effectively practiced. Not really. Training is really lazy, and relies almost exclusively on technology (web based training). The interaction between front-line people and management (including dept. heads) is very minimal, unless something is being done wrong. Real coaching and mentoring is nonexistent in practice, although we are supposed to have such a program for new hires - no one has experienced this that I've talked to. New hires watch a ton of videos (aka "fire hose training") and then are thrown unto the floor to sink or swim. The one thing that is reinforced, ad nauseam, is how the customer is king no matter what. But as another post mentioned, the employees are 3rd class citizens (after the customer & management). According to my observations & myriad conversations: TRUE.

Lastly, a little above minimum wage is pretty pitiful for all that this job entails. Most feel this is only done because the company can get by with it in this current job market. There is an incentive system, but for actual line people this might add about 25-50 cents per hour.

Being a leadership expert, the culture at THD has been quite fascinating to watch and experience! THD does quite well with managing things, but is very poor at leading people. They try to manage their employees like they manage the product. People generally stay because they have to, not because of any empowerment or internal motivation (other than maybe necessity due to health insurance, etc.). There is really no specific advice to give to fix this, because culture is not something so easily address.

One post said that if THD really wants to be the top retailer in customer service scores, it will have to emulate top scoring companies like Nordstrom. I think this is spot on. Nordstrom people rate their leadership quite high. (Conversely, our store's employees rate things like "feeling valued" and "trusting management" well under 50%!!) Nordstrom employees I've talked to said they work quite hard, but because they are well lead, they are very motivated to delight the customer. THD still follows a very old school approach of the external stick & carrot (more of the former than the latter), but this does little to engage people's internal motivation. Sorry Marvin, but without a complete overhaul of both leadership theory and practice, I cannot see this culture ever meeting the goal of being a top ACSI retailer. Really want to get there? Drastically overhaul this culture!!

[BTW: The Inverted Pyramid (IP) model should not have the customer on the top. The IP is a model of the organization's approach and control. While "Customer First" sounds nice, customers are outside of organizational control. So that really makes the front-line employees the top of the IP model, not the customers. And the definition of front line employees should not include management; just those people who spend 95% of their time directly engaged with the customers. By making this adjustment in practice (not just lip service & weak stop gap incentive programs), the employees will realize you are really there for them. This is when customer service scores drastically go up beyond the current plateau, and will also curb that huge employee turnover number.]

Worked for The Home Depot? Contribute to the Community!