The Home Depot Reviews

4,939 Reviews

The Home Depot Chairman and CEO Frank Blake
Frank Blake
3,098 Ratings

Pros
  • They are one of few companies today that provide part time employees with benefits (in 209 reviews)

• There were some good benefits for part-timers, such as a discount on your cell phone bill (in 190 reviews)

Cons
  • No work/life balance, so be ready to not see your love ones how you might like to (in 135 reviews)

• Now they mostly hire only part time that offers very little in the way of benifits (in 241 reviews)

More Highlights

We quit people not companies.

Current Employee - Department Supervisor  in  Balch Springs, TX
    Current Employee - Department Supervisor in Balch Springs, TX

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great service project to community. Great Benefits that are far reaching beyond health and insurance. Great Coworkers and direct reports. Great opportunity to learn invaluable lessons about running a business and how to take a holistic approach to running an operational and profitable business. You will learn invaluable DIY skills as a perk. You will learn how to manage difficult situations both in house and with customers. You will learn how to grow as a business person and do the impossible.

Cons

Personal and professional growth hurts. It will tedious and exhausting. No matter your experience or aptitude, working at the home depot is exhausting. You will work for people who were promoted based on potential or their networking skills, not necessarily ability or application of good leadership. They probably wont have a business degree nor specialize in logistics, teaching, or communication. I personally have worked for great and very horrible bosses here. It's important to pick one's battles. Transfer until you find a solid Store manager and ASM team.

Be humble, and then be more humble, and then assess whether you create an environment where others feel welcome to bring you their feedback, and consider whether you meet their feedback with quiet listening or a rebuttal. I have a comprehensive understanding of business and have achieved daily and weekly consistently, but am consistently degraded and demeaned and my accomplishments are unrecognized or questioned. This past year I have worked for a prideful bully. In years past my store manager was one who I truly admired.

Come lose some weight, have some fun, and join us!

Current Employee - Sales Associate - Seasonal Lawn and Garden  in  New Braunfels, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate - Seasonal Lawn and Garden in New Braunfels, TX

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great store, great managers, great co-workers, and great customers! The job itself is physical (walking, lifting, etc.) and mental (problem solving), so you will never be bored. Training is computer based (so you can learn at your own speed) and on the most part very interesting (there do inject humor here and there to lighten the mood). I would like to stay here until I retire if I could become full-time. Great place to work!

Cons

Home Depot is a large company. There is little local control over the inner workings of each store. Part time employees' hours are cut during slower times. Pay compensation is ok, but it is hard to advance to a better level.

Aug 18, 2014Client Partner

Thank you for your feedback! We are happy to hear you are enjoying your employment with The Home Depot. Keep up the great work!

Retail ... you work when others play ... should not be surprised

Former Employee - Home Depot Store Manager  in  Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Home Depot Store Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at The Home Depot full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Opportunities for advancement.
    Community involvement
    Number of locations
    Focus on customer service, keep it up because it is what other retailers don't provide.

Cons

Employer of Choice survey used to drive environment in store ... the biggest joke in the company. All leaders agree that this is very inaccurate yet they use it to guide so many decisions including careers of very strong salaried managers.
    Online team and service providers not being held accountable to the same customer service focus when not meeting commitments ... until truly fixed this will be the "elephant" in the room for Home Depot ... everyone must take care of the customer not just the stores.

Don't announce any of your "walks" ... that just creates chaos and an unrealistic store ... walk in see what is happening, ask questions ... then fix the issues or accept that this is Home Depot ... stop the "dog and pony" shows you should be better than this.

Sep 16, 2014Client Partner

Thanks for taking the time to share your comments. We have shared your feedback with others. Our associates are encouraged to adopt and adapt good ideas from others, and initiate creative and ... More

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

good part time job

Former Employee - Freight Team Associate  in  West Bend, WI
    Former Employee - Freight Team Associate in West Bend, WI

I worked at The Home Depot part-time for more than a year

Pros

lots of opertunity to move within the company to other positions or locations. lots of in store training available.

Cons

benifits are minimal for part time employees. getting time off may be difficult. work hours may change with minnimal notice to employee

management is fair to employees and corporate direction is always improoving

Great place to work

Former Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Ontario, OR
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Ontario, OR

I worked at The Home Depot full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good Pay and bonus structure, great company with a clear vision, given tools to succeed and a good place for advancement opportunities.

Cons

Long hours, changing shifts, and inconsistent or lack of involvement from district team

Work life-balance and make sure your DM's know what they are talking about and are able to teach and train.

Sep 16, 2014Client Partner

Amazing work place

Current Employee - Inventory Management Associate  in  Escondido, CA
    Current Employee - Inventory Management Associate in Escondido, CA

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Many benifits, 401K, life insurance, Heath insurance, discounts at many other retail stores, ther are also flexible with other jobs or school

Cons

Hire rate, you really do have to work, coworkers getting fired for not working, customers not always the friendliest

Open a house remodel position, like architectural landscaping or interior renovation design position

Right idea poor execution

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The Home Depot prides it self on being an active member of the community always looking for ways to give back and bring everyone closer together.

Cons

stress that follows you into your home life, what is left of your home life. It can either be extremely easy to promote or extremely difficult, it all depends on the management team in place. Being a place that easily promotes is not always a good thin.The company it self has a great view and a great ideal it just doesn't always translate at a store level.

Need to care and take care of your people.

Admin

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

the people, training, culture, personal growth

Cons

to many layoffs, making those that are left with to much to do

bring people back

UPS & DOWNS

Current Employee - Cashier  in  Davie, FL
    Current Employee - Cashier in Davie, FL

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time for more than a year

Pros

always treated to food,treats..etc BONUS CHECKS sometimes very fun!

Cons

politics,favor....cant get a set day very hard to get use to waking up different days sometimes 6am sometimes 5pm

Works well with scheduling demands

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time

Pros

Encourages learning. Offer numerous online classes.

Cons

Pay is very low compare to the area

Sep 18, 2014Client Partner

Thank you for sharing your review. We understand that our associates are the key to our success. We pay competitive rates and strive to create an environment where all associates feel they are ... More

Worked for The Home Depot? Contribute to the Community!