The Home Depot Reviews

3.3
6,169 Reviews
The Home Depot President & CEO Craig Menear
Craig Menear

Pros
  • They are one of few companies today that provide part time employees with benefits (in 254 reviews)

• It has a good benefits package with a chance to obtain 7% bonus if you have a good review (in 225 reviews)

Cons
  • No work/life balance, so be ready to not see your love ones how you might like to (in 170 reviews)

• Now they mostly hire only part time that offers very little in the way of benifits (in 282 reviews)

Freight is a professional and fun atmosphere.

Current Employee - Freight Team Associate
    Current Employee - Freight Team Associate

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The atmosphere is extremely laid back for our department, and although not everybody is friends, working together professionally doesn’t seem to be a problem. In the one instance I had an issue that required HR or management involvement, it was taken seriously and dealt with immediately. Our department demands constant communication and teamwork, and while it is something that we need to work on, the management and supervisors are always working with us to keep up to date on progress and any issues that come up.
    Safety is a major component to working freight, and it is taken seriously at this store. While I may consider using a ladder to carry a heavier item up to the overhead, there is always someone around offering to help or offering to use the order picker if needed.
    In general, this store carries a fun, friendly, and inviting sense of teamwork, which is a change from when I worked there a few years ago. Management and supervisors are easy to communicate with and accessible anytime, and hard work is noticed and congratulated via Bravos and other congratulatory avenues -- knowing others recognize your effort and professionalism really makes this store quite high in morale compared to other retail companies I’ve worked for.
    The pay increase for Freight’s base pay is a huge positive for me -- finally knowing that the store recognizes the hard work and effort for freight workers really makes working here more satisfying.

Cons

The balance of department hours and cross training was an issue with my previous time here and looks like it may be again. I wish to train in sales departments simply for product knowledge, not to switch departments. Being in the operations department and working 1-2 hours during store hours, it is hard for me to answer customer questions if I am not trained for a department. Generally I can call a department associate, but near the end of business hours there isn't always somebody readily available. I’d enjoy being able to help with more than just directing a customer to another person or to a specific aisle, but it would also be nice to have more sales associates cross trained or on the clock near the end of the night.
    Being part time has the drawback of not always knowing if I will be working 12 or 20 hours a week, and picking up hours in other departments isn’t an option yet as I lack training. Hopefully this will be rectified soon.

The only issue I have currently with the store is the previously mentioned lack of employees during late evening hours (7 p.m. - close) that have the knowledge and are available. Scrambling to find someone to help a customer with specific questions and not always knowing who is on in each department each night can be frustrating to both customers and those who work behind the scenes.

Department Supervisor

Current Employee - Department Supervisor in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Department Supervisor in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, supportive large family camaraderie.

Cons

Low pay, constantly changing schedules, fast-paced, high-pressure.

Upgrade your computer networks. What you are saving in IT, you are losing many times over in lost associate productivity resulting in unnecessary hours worked.

3. Sales Specialist

I worked at The Home Depot

Pros

Awesome benefits and great company morale

Cons

Need more forklift certified associates

Encourage more associates to get forklift licences

5. Not an employee - just like the company

I have been working at The Home Depot

Pros

Variety of positions, with upward mobility.

Cons

Subject to moving from store to store.

Quicker response to perspective employees.

A lot of work for very little money.

Former Employee - Department Supervisor in Lewiston, ID
    Former Employee - Department Supervisor in Lewiston, ID

I worked at The Home Depot

Pros

People are great as a rule.

Cons

Low pay for very physical work.

7. Great for entry level

I have been working at The Home Depot

Pros

Team members,Atmosphere,Working Environment,Culture,Constantly changing.
    Training was lengthy and extensive
    Growth available yet limited passed c level

Cons

Stability of hours provided to part timers.

8. Good place to earn some money

Current Employee - Head Cashier in Bridgewater, NJ
    Current Employee - Head Cashier in Bridgewater, NJ

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It's a good environment to work in. Plenty of opportunities to learn and grow in customer service and sales. Worked around my schedule while I was a student.

Cons

Pay isn't great. Hours only flexible if part-time. Full-time employees are expected to be free seven days a weeks, all day.

Great coworkers, terrible management...

Current Employee - Part Time Cashier in Dawsonville, GA
    Current Employee - Part Time Cashier in Dawsonville, GA

I have been working at The Home Depot

Pros

Dental and vision insurance, discount stock purchasing, overall great benefits and for part-time! Coworkers at my store are what make it so fun, great relationships

Cons

management is absolutely terrible, they want you to do a ton of work for really awful pay (better than min wage but still), and you only get to grow as a person if you kiss up to management

care about your employees, don't set ridiculous and unachievable goals for people who have no control over their success (because of customers), and figure out how to give medical insurance back to part-time workers!

Great working here

I have been working at The Home Depot

Pros

Exposed to high volume transaction applications

Cons

Very difficult to grow as you face lot of competition

11. I appreciate the fact that they take care of their employees. The customer service is also exceptional

Former Employee - Cashier in Rock Springs, WY
    Former Employee - Cashier in Rock Springs, WY

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Benefits and Unity of the Corpration

Cons

Unable to take sick days before 90 Days, I hurt my knee unable to stand at my till. I was reprimanded for having to take extra days.