The Home Depot Reviews

Reset
3.3
The Home Depot President & CEO Craig Menear
Craig Menear

Pros
  • The pay allows part time workers to survive at below poverty levels (in 254 reviews)

• Good benefits (we wil see what the new BCBS plan holds) (in 225 reviews)

Cons
  • days per week - So bad work/life balance (in 170 reviews)

• benifits are minimal for part time employees (in 282 reviews)

7,166 Employee Reviews

Changed my opinion about retailing

Current Employee - Merchandising Execution Associate in Loveland, CO
    Current Employee - Merchandising Execution Associate in Loveland, CO

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Home Depot has a solid moral compass. They aren't about sacrificing their ethics for the sake of a sale, which I love. They also hire a diverse group of people and give a lot back to the community. They offer a lot of benefits and little treats for their employees. Although they push their associates to meet quota, they're realistic about what can and can't be accomplished.

Cons

Home Depot has two different sides to it. Store associates and those of us considered "store support" who are payed by the vendors but work in the stores 100% of the time. I constantly hear about how store associates are stressed out by management and their hours are being rearranged a lot, cut, and they often are stretched thin due to lack of full staffing. "Store support" associates who do merchandising have it better than those who work in specific departments. However, you never really gain knowledge unless you have the time to look things up and read packaging.

Advice to Management

Stop promoting associates based off of favoritism.

Jun 29, 2015Client Partner

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. From the top down, the key to business at The Home Depot is our commitment to not only customer service, but to our associates. Because taking ... More

Merchandise execution associate

I have been working at The Home Depot

Pros

It is a great place to work. I have worked for any different companies and worked many different retail chains and they are so much different. They promote building real relationships with your boss. I have been working here for two months and we have already been bowling as a team and the boss treated us all to lunch once.

Cons

The store is always horribly understaffed on the store side. I have customers who walk to me asking for help such as cutting keys, cutting shelves, things I have not been trained in at it feels like an act of Congress to find someone who can train them.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work by providing great benefits and making your employees feel like they are cared about. You guys really need to work on properly staffing your stores. One associate who has to cover both plumbing and housewares is ridiculous and will make your employees unhappy.

Jul 3, 2015Client Partner

Great Summer Job

Former Employee - Cashier in Copiague, NY
    Former Employee - Cashier in Copiague, NY

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Home Depot does not only pay their employees better than most companies; the management truly cared about their associates and the customers. The positive environment definitely made me excited to work for such a great company.

Cons

Some of the contractors definitely can make female employees uncomfortable sometimes. However, my fellow coworkers nor management ever made me feel uncomfortable.

Good co

I have been working at The Home Depot

Pros

Good pay, nice benefits, nice facilities

Cons

lots of turnover within company, want SMEs but no time to learn, lots of mandatory events that interfere with day to day , poor work life balance, overbearing managers

Advice to Management

be less rigid

Jun 29, 2015Client Partner

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. We wish you were happier with your current management. Please call 1.866.698.4347 and select the option for the Associate Advice Council Group ... More

ASM

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Gainesville, FL
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Gainesville, FL

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

great overall company with pay and benefits, great group of workers, fast paced work environment

Cons

no personal time, especially in the salaried ranks, to many hours worked, some your own time, overnights, rare weekends off, always must request that. no holidays off. family time is a killer !!!!

Advice to Management

starting pay needs to be addressed I started at $10 about 15 years ago, starting pay is now the same or less.
    give your employees weekends off more often

Jun 29, 2015Client Partner

Thank you for sharing your review. We understand that our associates are the key to our success. We pay competitive rates and strive to create an environment where all associates feel they are ... More

Overall positive, but as time passed and financial rewards did not match up with written evaluations

Former Employee - Department Supervisor in Jacksonville Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Department Supervisor in Jacksonville Beach, FL

I worked at The Home Depot

Pros

Stability, strong company, well recognized, strong team environment, flexible work schedules, thorough training programs, many long term employees

Cons

Easy to get lost in the "Corporate" game, demanding physical work

Advice to Management

Reward excellent performers with adequate compensation that reflects the evaluations given- I left my position for one year and was offered the same job a year later (2015) for $31,200!

8. Good part time job

I worked at The Home Depot part-time

Pros

Great learning experience and flexibility with hours.

Cons

An employee discount would be nice. Pay not great. Typical for retail.

9. Decent Part-Time Job

Former Employee - Cashier in Antelope, CA
    Former Employee - Cashier in Antelope, CA

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very good at employee recognition. If you do well (at least as a cashier), there are a lot of ways you will be recognized for it

At the registers, they but cushion-y mats for the cashiers to stand on to make it more comfortable

they pay better than minimum wage

Cons

Gets monotonous really easily

customers come to cashiers for their questions, even though cashiers literally ONLY work the registers, and often have no idea where anything is, or how to answer customers' questions, so that can be embarrassing

Advice to Management

keep it up

10. GREAT COMPANY TO WORK FOR

Current Employee - Cashier in Bangor, ME
    Current Employee - Cashier in Bangor, ME

I have been working at The Home Depot (Less than a year)

Pros

Home Depot really cares about their employees. Home Depot has a great training program where the new employee gets to practice by interactive videos. I found this to be extremely effective and even fun.

Cons

So far I cannot come up with a con. I really enjoy all aspects of me job thus far. It is a great place to work.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to your employees. Continue to use the very informative training videos. Keep up the good work!

11. Garden Department Supervisor

Current Employee - Garden Department Supervisor in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Garden Department Supervisor in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Great heath benefits
    -Able to move up the chain of command quickly with hard work
    -bonuses twice a year

Cons

-Long hours
    -Deal with a lot of rude customers at times
     -Work life balance can be tough at times

Jul 3, 2015Client Partner

Thank you for your review. “Taking Care of Our People” is one of our core values. We try our best to accommodate our associates’ needs. Keep up the great work!

Showing 7,166 of 7,229 reviews