The Home Depot Reviews

Reset
3.3
The Home Depot President & CEO Craig Menear
Craig Menear

Pros
  • The pay allows part time workers to survive at below poverty levels (in 254 reviews)

• Good benefits (we wil see what the new BCBS plan holds) (in 225 reviews)

Cons
  • days per week - So bad work/life balance (in 170 reviews)

• benifits are minimal for part time employees (in 282 reviews)

7,527 Employee Reviews

Changed my opinion about retailing

Current Employee - Merchandising Execution Associate in Loveland, CO
    Current Employee - Merchandising Execution Associate in Loveland, CO

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Home Depot has a solid moral compass. They aren't about sacrificing their ethics for the sake of a sale, which I love. They also hire a diverse group of people and give a lot back to the community. They offer a lot of benefits and little treats for their employees. Although they push their associates to meet quota, they're realistic about what can and can't be accomplished.

Cons

Home Depot has two different sides to it. Store associates and those of us considered "store support" who are payed by the vendors but work in the stores 100% of the time. I constantly hear about how store associates are stressed out by management and their hours are being rearranged a lot, cut, and they often are stretched thin due to lack of full staffing. "Store support" associates who do merchandising have it better than those who work in specific departments. However, you never really gain knowledge unless you have the time to look things up and read packaging.

Advice to Management

Stop promoting associates based off of favoritism.

Jun 29, 2015 – Client Partner

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. From the top down, the key to business at The Home Depot is our commitment to not only customer service, but to our associates. Because taking ... More

2. Great place to work

I worked at The Home Depot (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great company, benefits, moral compass.

Cons

Retail hours, high school atmosphere.

Aug 3, 2015 – Client Partner

Thank you for your feedback! We are happy to hear you enjoyed your employment with The Home Depot. We appreciate all of your hard work.

Head Cashier

Current Employee - Head Cashier in Auburn Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Head Cashier in Auburn Hills, MI

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Schedule is good pay ok but could be better, benefits are good vacation time is great , the company is a very good company to work for they understand and try to help in anyway needed and they offer a wide range of opportunity

Cons

Some of the people coworkers are lazy and management is not the best, it all depends on what store you are at, the pay is ok but you can find better other places and moving up in the company is terrible

Aug 3, 2015 – Client Partner

Thank you for your feedback. At The Home Depot, we strive to provide an environment where associates feel they’re valued, treated fairly, and respected. Taking care of our people is one of our core ... More

5. Sales

Former Employee - Kentucky in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Kentucky in Louisville, KY

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed all the opportunities that The Home Depot gave me and they are a great group of leaders there.

Cons

I was not a fan of being there super early in the morning but other than that there is nothing.

Aug 3, 2015 – Client Partner

6. Great experience, love it here!

Current Employee - Cashier in Council Bluffs, IA
    Current Employee - Cashier in Council Bluffs, IA

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They are flexible, everyone is friendly and understanding, decent pay. Overall it's a great place to work, and they really listen to you well and work with you with whatever situation you're in.

Cons

They don't give you as many hours as some places. They only reserve full time positions to the senior and higher up staff.

Aug 3, 2015 – Client Partner

Thank you for your feedback! We are happy to hear you are enjoying your employment with The Home Depot. Keep up the great work!

7. Customers are great!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Quincy, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Quincy, IL

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Management is pretty good about not micro-managing the associates. The customers are great to work with. ssociates are fun group to work with.

Cons

Negative morale lately. Not enough hours, so alot of new hires, and ones who have been there awhile are looking at other jobs.

Advice to Management

Listen to what your employees bring up. If there are issues with a store's operations, dont shot out associates, but let them be part of a solution.

Aug 3, 2015 – Client Partner

Thank you for taking the time to share a review. Our associates and managers alike are essential parts of The Home Depot’s network. We appreciate your feedback.

8. Home Depot: Good not great

Current Employee - Part Time Cashier in Columbia, SC
    Current Employee - Part Time Cashier in Columbia, SC

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working at the Home Depot can be a very rewarding experience. They take care of their employees through profit sharing, stock options, and decent benefits including 401k match, IF you are a full-time employee. If you're part-time you get the stock sharing option and profit sharing but that's it. I can't speak for every store but the one I work at in Columbia, SC has little cookouts and other activities for the employees from time to time. On the July 4th this year we had dunk tank and the store manager was in it, and a snow cone and cotton candy machine, as well as barbecuing food and drinks. You're are also left alone to your work for the most part, there is very little micro managing. As long as you get your work done and help out customers then no one is breathing down your neck.

Cons

The pay is awful. I started working there in 2009 at $8.50 and hour, and now in 2015 I am only making $10.53 an hour as a cashier. If you want to ever be taken seriously there, you have to work full-time. Sometimes it seems there are two categories of employees, full-time and part-time, and the full-timers are like their own little special club and see themselves above the part-time employees. I hope you don't mind standing all day on a concrete floor, because that is what you do working at Home Depot. You'd better have very comfortable shoes because if not you're going to have very sore feet and legs at the end of the day. You will have to work there for a very long time to move up in the company. If you want to be a store manager you can expect to work there for at least 15 years. The pay doesn't get much better until you reach assistant store manger either. Department associates start at $15 on average.

Advice to Management

Management has always been good. Occasionally a new store manager will come in and want to shake things up but for the most part all of the managers are great.

Aug 3, 2015 – Client Partner

Thank you for sharing your review. We understand that our associates are the key to our success. We pay competitive rates and strive to create an environment where all associates feel they are ... More

9. I've Never Been More Pleased

Current Employee - Pro Loader in New Smyrna Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Pro Loader in New Smyrna Beach, FL

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Scheduling Flexibility, Ease and comfort of voicing your concerns, Praise from management for a job well done. Always feeling valued.

Cons

The slow tedious process in which a bad employee is finally let go no matter how many complaints or occurrences.

Advice to Management

Conduct better background checks on future employees. Assign easier jobs and tasks for special needs employees. Squash all forms of favoritism before they create a difficult situation for current employees.

10. Nice part time gig

I have been working at The Home Depot

Pros

They are very flexible with my hours, helps since i'm in college.

Cons

Pay could be better, hard to get full time,

Advice to Management

focus on your current employees, And not just the number of employees

11. Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Kitchen and Bath Specialist in Pflugerville, TX
    Current Employee - Kitchen and Bath Specialist in Pflugerville, TX

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The everyday knowledge that you gain is great. The people you work with in general are awesome and just an overall good experience.

Cons

Its retail. All the cons that come with that. Random hours that include weekend and holidays. Of course the pay is low, just above minimum wage but still higher then other retailers.

Aug 3, 2015 – Client Partner

Thank you for your review. Retail associates are the face of The Home Depot for the thousands of customers who walk through the doors each day. As a retail associate you can expect to interact in a ... More

Showing 7,527 of 7,592 reviews