The Home Depot Reviews

5,221 Reviews

The Home Depot Chairman and CEO Frank Blake
Frank Blake
3,249 Ratings

Pros
  • They are one of few companies today that provide part time employees with benefits (in 241 reviews)

• It has a good benefits package with a chance to obtain 7% bonus if you have a good review (in 216 reviews)

Cons
  • No work/life balance, so be ready to not see your love ones how you might like to (in 162 reviews)

• Now they mostly hire only part time that offers very little in the way of benifits (in 273 reviews)

More Highlights

An overall good place to work

Current Employee - Project Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at The Home Depot

Pros

great benefits
    good pay
    good people to work with
    room for advancement

Cons

acknowledgement of good performance could be better

recognize good work more

We quit people not companies.

Current Employee - Department Supervisor in Balch Springs, TX
    Current Employee - Department Supervisor in Balch Springs, TX

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great service project to community. Great Benefits that are far reaching beyond health and insurance. Great Coworkers and direct reports. Great opportunity to learn invaluable lessons about running a business and how to take a holistic approach to running an operational and profitable business. You will learn invaluable DIY skills as a perk. You will learn how to manage difficult situations both in house and with customers. You will learn how to grow as a business person and do the impossible.

Cons

Personal and professional growth hurts. It will tedious and exhausting. No matter your experience or aptitude, working at the home depot is exhausting. You will work for people who were promoted based on potential or their networking skills, not necessarily ability or application of good leadership. They probably wont have a business degree nor specialize in logistics, teaching, or communication. I personally have worked for great and very horrible bosses here. It's important to pick one's battles. Transfer until you find a solid Store manager and ASM team.

Be humble, and then be more humble, and then assess whether you create an environment where others feel welcome to bring you their feedback, and consider whether you meet their feedback with quiet listening or a rebuttal. I have a comprehensive understanding of business and have achieved daily and weekly consistently, but am consistently degraded and demeaned and my accomplishments are unrecognized or questioned. This past year I have worked for a prideful bully. In years past my store manager was one who I truly admired.

Great Company to work for

Current Employee - IT Developer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - IT Developer in Austin, TX

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

great benefits, opportunity to grow and a great working family environment

Cons

benefits are high for a family

n/a

Great.

Former Employee - Cashier
    Former Employee - Cashier

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Everyone was a big family there, very welcoming.

Cons

Hours per week were minimum

Assurance and Advisory Management Program

Former Employee - Senior Analyst, Assurance and Advisory Management Program in Atlanta, GA

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great group - fun people, very social, smart and outgoing
    Meaningful projects - make an impact on the company
    Great mentoring and career support - easy to find management job at end of program
    Leaderships is phenomenal
    Training and development opportunities include leadership certificate program from a top US university
    great balance

Cons

Have to be quick to adapt and able to work in a somewhat unstructured environment at times

Fulfilling experience

Former Employee - Cashier in Williston, VT
    Former Employee - Cashier in Williston, VT

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The co-workers and managers were very helpful when starting the job. I learned the value of customer service and being a part a company team.

Cons

Although I was happy with my position, there seem little opportunity to move up in the company. Occasional 5am meetings were not compatible with optimal customer service later in the day.

Overall not a bad place to get your feet wet and full of potential

Current Employee - Area Supervisor in Findlay, OH
    Current Employee - Area Supervisor in Findlay, OH

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, flexible with vacation time, good leadership staff

Cons

Long hours, pointless meetings, and young to logistics

Be ready to work long hours and pointless meetings

My experience at The Home Depot was both challenging and rewarding.

Former Employee - Merchandising Execution Area Supervisor in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Merchandising Execution Area Supervisor in Houston, TX

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Never a dull moment. The Merchandising Execution Team offers a fast paced work environment that is extremely gratifying. Besides traveling to several stores in your district completing TMO projects, doing occasional and seasonal resets, and assuring bay integrity, you'll leave work with a sense of accomplishment every day. If you're an individual who is committed, engaged and motived, you can advance fairly quickly. I began as an MEA towards the end of Spring Resets. After 10 days my supervisor asked me to captain (lead) Millworks. At three months, I was lead of Building Materials and Millworks. Then at nine months as an MEA I was offered the Merchandising Execution Area Supervisor position for Plumbing, Appliances and Cabinetry. There were seven stores in our district and I loved the challenge.

Cons

There are not any clear downsides to working for this company. Orientation is very thorough and basically outlines The Home Depot's expectations and values. Training is adequate. Classes are required on the computer, but you gain more knowledge on the floor.

I can only speak of the management team in Houston's district 92 in 2010 ( 7 stores ). My advice was for management to improve communication, follow up and follow through, as it was severely lacking. That applies to the MEM, several SMs, ASMs and department heads.

Part-Time Lot Associate

Former Employee - Lot Associate in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Lot Associate in Portland, OR

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good exercise, always something to do, not too much customer interaction, sick time accrual.

Cons

Physically demanding, under-compensated, not much training to do other things, very hard to move up. They do not promote from within quickly, you must stay in your position for six months before you can APPLY for a different position. Then you still have to interview and compete against others. You will see people who have never worked at Home Depot hired for positions above you.

Promote from within, and stop with the minimum time in a position. It doesn't make sense to hire people who don't know the company into positions that current employees want.

Garden Associate

Former Employee - Garden Sales Associate in Arlington, TX
    Former Employee - Garden Sales Associate in Arlington, TX

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Some of my coworkers were really nice. It kept me busy a lot. Pay was decent. I got to stay in relatively good shape. They were willing to work with either full time work like 40+ hours and only work 2 days a week. They offered in-store training for everything including fork lift and reach truck certification (although it took forever for them to find the time to certify me)

Cons

They would schedule me closing shifts, mid shifts, and then opening shifts consecutively so I wouldn't get very much sleep. They also threw me out on the sales floor expecting me to be an expert in everything after watching 40 hours of interactive training videos. It was a lot to take in all at once for the average person. They also expected me to already know everything that was going on at the store while I was away which was impossible. Displays and projects were moved daily and unless you live there, things change daily.

Maybe give employees more set dates they could work with without killing their sleep schedule. Communicate more with other managers when building projects to make sure hard work doesn't get wasted.