The Home Depot

5,400 Reviews

The Home Depot Chairman and CEO Frank Blake
Frank Blake
3,355 Ratings

Pros
  • They are one of few companies today that provide part time employees with benefits (in 254 reviews)

• It has a good benefits package with a chance to obtain 7% bonus if you have a good review (in 225 reviews)

Cons
  • No work/life balance, so be ready to not see your love ones how you might like to (in 170 reviews)

• Now they mostly hire only part time that offers very little in the way of benifits (in 282 reviews)

More Highlights

started at the bottom now we here...

Current Employee - Merchandising Execution Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Merchandising Execution Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

District Visibility, company provided laptop, Iphone, Tablet
    Meet lots of great people people including CEO
    Training trips to our HQ in Atlanta, all expenses paid for management
    Be a part of a team and feel that I make a difference
    Fast paced environment
    Tons of potential for job growth and promotions
    Give back to the community
    Love our company values
    Get to kick Lowes butt all day everyday

Cons

Lots of hours for management
    Low starting pay for hourly associates
    Horrible and expensive health benefits
    Deal with bosses that steal ideas for their own benefit
    No employee discount
    Deal with customers that you just want to smack up side their head sometimes
    Pay is OK but should be better for all especially hourly associates

Stop putting people in leadership roles that can only talk the talk but can not walk the walk.
    Some of the people that work in Atlanta at our HQ are stuck up snobs. Get over yourself!

We quit people not companies.

Current Employee - Department Supervisor in Balch Springs, TX
    Current Employee - Department Supervisor in Balch Springs, TX

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great service project to community. Great Benefits that are far reaching beyond health and insurance. Great Coworkers and direct reports. Great opportunity to learn invaluable lessons about running a business and how to take a holistic approach to running an operational and profitable business. You will learn invaluable DIY skills as a perk. You will learn how to manage difficult situations both in house and with customers. You will learn how to grow as a business person and do the impossible.

Cons

Personal and professional growth hurts. It will tedious and exhausting. No matter your experience or aptitude, working at the home depot is exhausting. You will work for people who were promoted based on potential or their networking skills, not necessarily ability or application of good leadership. They probably wont have a business degree nor specialize in logistics, teaching, or communication. I personally have worked for great and very horrible bosses here. It's important to pick one's battles. Transfer until you find a solid Store manager and ASM team.

Be humble, and then be more humble, and then assess whether you create an environment where others feel welcome to bring you their feedback, and consider whether you meet their feedback with quiet listening or a rebuttal. I have a comprehensive understanding of business and have achieved daily and weekly consistently, but am consistently degraded and demeaned and my accomplishments are unrecognized or questioned. This past year I have worked for a prideful bully. In years past my store manager was one who I truly admired.

department head garden

Former Employee - Department Supervisor
    Former Employee - Department Supervisor

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

good benefits, great customers. Good in house training program, great emphasis on safety for customers and employees. Decent pay rates.

Cons

Hours can be tough, work every weekend, a lot of nights, some overnights when needed. Some managers are not too cool.

Consider increasing staffing levels to improve customer service. Make the process to be promoted more transparent and provide more opportunity.

Great company to work for

I have been working at The Home Depot

Pros

Good compensation and benefits package. The care about associates and the community.

Cons

Work/life balance, associate retention.
    Workload can be heavy at times but associates pull together to get it done

Great job

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Corvallis, OR
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Corvallis, OR

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Meet new and exciting people, learn at home project and fun DIY activities!

Cons

Minimum hours at first, lack of full time positions. Other then that, not to much at all.

Great Experience

Former Employee - Cashier in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Cashier in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Learned about the business

Cons

hours and rotating shifts - work life balance

great manager

Good place to work, will work with your schedule most of the time

Current Employee - Specialty Department Supervisor in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Specialty Department Supervisor in Houston, TX

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Easy to work with on the your schedule most of the time, but that changes weekly
    Depending on area, easy customer base
    Very relaxed
    Extremely customer oriented

Cons

High turnover so its a constant battle to maintain decent employees
    Pay could be alot better
    Due to the high turnover I had to put my college degree on hold because the schedules were changing so rapidly week to week at one point I was the only supervisor/MOD in the store some days working 12 hour shifts

Keep up with local competition hourly pay, Great place to work but compared to other retail stores which are alot less stressful the pay is horrible.

Friendly staff. Managers tend to hire people who are compassionate, helpful, people person(s), and laughing having fun

Current Employee - Specialist in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Specialist in San Jose, CA

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great manager, asst managers, and dept. heads

Cons

Can't live on what they pay in SJC. Short staffed causes many injuries

Try and pay attention to your associates work load. DON'T ask them to do something immediately without first asking if they're helping a customer, barking orders is not mature and makes you look like an ogor.
    AND PLEASE don't suck up right before the EOC and then get pissy after all have put their opinion in. Suck it up like we all have too.

Amazing!

Current Employee - Cashier in Kerrville, TX
    Current Employee - Cashier in Kerrville, TX

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Working here as been a positive experience from day one! Management and staff has been a great help in assuring that I get proper training before going onto the floor. I love my co workers, I couldn't ask for a better fellow staff. I was hired on as a cashier 5 mos ago and I'm already doing bookkeeping on the weekends and I'm getting ready to be moved to special services during the week!! With that being said, the possibilities for me and this company seem endless!! I plan to be with this company for a very long time!!

Cons

communication could always be better, but overall nothing negative.

Decent Pay for starting out, but a few issues

Former Employee - Tool Rental Associate in Gurnee, IL
    Former Employee - Tool Rental Associate in Gurnee, IL

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Bonus potential bi-annually; starting pay is higher than most for sales floor associates; encouragement to try products; employee empowerment

Cons

Supervisors rarely get shuffled around; bonuses could be higher; no benefits for part-timers in terms of insurance due to Obamacare mandates; store hours are always changing for the employees in terms of when the employees start and end their days; slow to discipline members of management, but quick to discipline the regular associates

Include the regular associates in the loop of things going on; streamline or make your meetings more efficient; invite employees to be a part of the department meetings so that the employees do not feel like the mangers are just sitting in the back and chit-chatting. Do not smudge the reviews of the employees to keep them from being advanced quicker.