The Home Depot

3.3
6,029 Reviews

The Home Depot President & CEO Craig Menear
Craig Menear

Pros
  • They are one of few companies today that provide part time employees with benefits (in 254 reviews)

• It has a good benefits package with a chance to obtain 7% bonus if you have a good review (in 225 reviews)

Cons
  • No work/life balance, so be ready to not see your love ones how you might like to (in 170 reviews)

• Now they mostly hire only part time that offers very little in the way of benifits (in 282 reviews)

More Highlights

Freight is a professional and fun atmosphere.

Current Employee - Freight Team Associate
    Current Employee - Freight Team Associate

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The atmosphere is extremely laid back for our department, and although not everybody is friends, working together professionally doesn’t seem to be a problem. In the one instance I had an issue that required HR or management involvement, it was taken seriously and dealt with immediately. Our department demands constant communication and teamwork, and while it is something that we need to work on, the management and supervisors are always working with us to keep up to date on progress and any issues that come up.
    Safety is a major component to working freight, and it is taken seriously at this store. While I may consider using a ladder to carry a heavier item up to the overhead, there is always someone around offering to help or offering to use the order picker if needed.
    In general, this store carries a fun, friendly, and inviting sense of teamwork, which is a change from when I worked there a few years ago. Management and supervisors are easy to communicate with and accessible anytime, and hard work is noticed and congratulated via Bravos and other congratulatory avenues -- knowing others recognize your effort and professionalism really makes this store quite high in morale compared to other retail companies I’ve worked for.
    The pay increase for Freight’s base pay is a huge positive for me -- finally knowing that the store recognizes the hard work and effort for freight workers really makes working here more satisfying.

Cons

The balance of department hours and cross training was an issue with my previous time here and looks like it may be again. I wish to train in sales departments simply for product knowledge, not to switch departments. Being in the operations department and working 1-2 hours during store hours, it is hard for me to answer customer questions if I am not trained for a department. Generally I can call a department associate, but near the end of business hours there isn't always somebody readily available. I’d enjoy being able to help with more than just directing a customer to another person or to a specific aisle, but it would also be nice to have more sales associates cross trained or on the clock near the end of the night.
    Being part time has the drawback of not always knowing if I will be working 12 or 20 hours a week, and picking up hours in other departments isn’t an option yet as I lack training. Hopefully this will be rectified soon.

The only issue I have currently with the store is the previously mentioned lack of employees during late evening hours (7 p.m. - close) that have the knowledge and are available. Scrambling to find someone to help a customer with specific questions and not always knowing who is on in each department each night can be frustrating to both customers and those who work behind the scenes.

I really like it.

Current Employee - Cashier
    Current Employee - Cashier

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great coworkers, flexible hours, decent pay, supporting staff. I'm very happy where I work at. I'm new but they treat me how an employee who has been there for 3+ years.

Cons

It can get a little slow at times so be ready to entertain yourself. You'll want to find customers and talk to them just to keep you busy.

More benefits, maybe a store discount on certain items because we would bring some good business to your business. Just have some guidelines on what we can do.

Probationary Period

Current Employee - Cashier in Augusta, GA
    Current Employee - Cashier in Augusta, GA

I have been working at The Home Depot

Pros

I love working at the home depot.The job is great The people are nice, and it's the best career opportunity I've had since I started working.I'm still young

Cons

I've had car troubles since I started working here back in October.I've been struggling paying to fix my car and sharing a car with my family.I fear I will be terminated , because of my occurrences. My problems are finally resolved but I fear it may be too late.

I think that your attendance policy is too strict. It seems you don't care about your employees problems ,So long as they are on time everytime. I pride myself on my work ethic. My situation became beyond my reach ( I still take full responsibility). I am here whenever I am scheduled and cover anyone who calls out without going into overtime. I just want to redeem myself without losing my job.

Its a really friendly place

Current Employee - Part Time Cashier in Miami Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Part Time Cashier in Miami Beach, FL

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (more than a year)

Pros

its a pretty friendly place, i never had a problem with anyone

Cons

staying in one place and the customers themselves can be annoying

none

HD is a phenomenal company that allows to grow and realize your dreams

Current Employee - Store Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at The Home Depot

Pros

Upward mobility and financial stability.

Cons

Challenging retail environment that is always changing.

Keep kicking Lowe's buttocks

It was fun

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Alpharetta, GA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Alpharetta, GA

I worked at The Home Depot

Pros

I really liked how it was so physical. Management will reward you if they see you're working hard. Great company, but home improvement isn't one of my interests.

Cons

You have customers coming up to you from every department asking you questions that you sometimes won't know. Customers think the sales associates are all experts and know everything, so it can be stressful.

Hire more plumbing associates.

Good work environment.

Current Employee - Department Supervisor in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Department Supervisor in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at The Home Depot

Pros

Great co-workers. Good product training. Great benefits. Room for advancement. Taking care of customers doing the right thing not only encouraged but required and rewarded.

Cons

crazy schedules, poor computer systems.

Increase the pay scale for experienced employees. Plumbers, electricians, contractors etc.. seek out suggestions to improve the systems from the people who need to use them on a daily basis.

Good Vibes

Former Employee - Home Depot in East Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Home Depot in East Los Angeles, CA

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good vibes / enjoy working with people

Cons

Working outside in the cold

Should wear helmets

It was ok

Former Employee - Floor Associate
    Former Employee - Floor Associate

I worked at The Home Depot

Pros

Good pay and chances of rising if good worker high

Cons

A lot of things have to be done on your own most of the time like heavy lifting

It can be a fun job, as long as you don't let the slackers bother you.

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Better than industry (retail) average wages. Flexible scheduling and very competitive benefits. Home Depot continued to give raises when other retailers weren't.

Cons

It's retail, so work/life balance is non-existent if you work at the store level. Tendency to promote the hardest workers instead of associates with leadership skills. Performance reviews are horribly written and often include issues that the associate had no idea about.

Learn how to develop a bench with true talent, not just a group of highly skilled laborers.