The Home Depot Reviews

5,202 Reviews

The Home Depot Chairman and CEO Frank Blake
Frank Blake
3,239 Ratings

Pros
  • They are one of few companies today that provide part time employees with benefits (in 241 reviews)

• It has a good benefits package with a chance to obtain 7% bonus if you have a good review (in 216 reviews)

Cons
  • No work/life balance, so be ready to not see your love ones how you might like to (in 162 reviews)

• Now they mostly hire only part time that offers very little in the way of benifits (in 273 reviews)

More Highlights

Overall - good

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great company. Good pay and bonus.

Cons

Not much of work/life balance. Long hours to achieve goals.

Be sure you and your boss get along.

The Home Depot Response

Aug 2, 2013Client Partner

Thank you for taking the time to share a review. We’re happy to hear you had a positive experience while employed with The Home Depot.

We quit people not companies.

Current Employee - Department Supervisor in Balch Springs, TX
    Current Employee - Department Supervisor in Balch Springs, TX

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great service project to community. Great Benefits that are far reaching beyond health and insurance. Great Coworkers and direct reports. Great opportunity to learn invaluable lessons about running a business and how to take a holistic approach to running an operational and profitable business. You will learn invaluable DIY skills as a perk. You will learn how to manage difficult situations both in house and with customers. You will learn how to grow as a business person and do the impossible.

Cons

Personal and professional growth hurts. It will tedious and exhausting. No matter your experience or aptitude, working at the home depot is exhausting. You will work for people who were promoted based on potential or their networking skills, not necessarily ability or application of good leadership. They probably wont have a business degree nor specialize in logistics, teaching, or communication. I personally have worked for great and very horrible bosses here. It's important to pick one's battles. Transfer until you find a solid Store manager and ASM team.

Be humble, and then be more humble, and then assess whether you create an environment where others feel welcome to bring you their feedback, and consider whether you meet their feedback with quiet listening or a rebuttal. I have a comprehensive understanding of business and have achieved daily and weekly consistently, but am consistently degraded and demeaned and my accomplishments are unrecognized or questioned. This past year I have worked for a prideful bully. In years past my store manager was one who I truly admired.

Home Depot really cares about the people who work for them.

Former Employee - Worker Bee
    Former Employee - Worker Bee

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The opportnities for advncement are there for anyone willing to work and who cares about customers.

Cons

Limited training other than computer based, you are basically thrown into the deep end of the pool with one swimmy on one arm and a brick taped to the other.

Put more emphasis on training, a well trained associate is better equipped to take care of customers, and less apt to cause or suffer an accident.

Enjoyed my job, unfortunate circumstances with my personal state of health caused me to face my final warning; let go

Former Employee - Hardware Sales Associate in Santa Maria, CA
    Former Employee - Hardware Sales Associate in Santa Maria, CA

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The Company handles the work from associates in such a fair and professional manner.

Cons

Not enough associate coverage in every department, and worked part time for too long.

Part-Time Lot Associate

Former Employee - Lot Associate in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Lot Associate in Portland, OR

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good exercise, always something to do, not too much customer interaction, sick time accrual.

Cons

Physically demanding, under-compensated, not much training to do other things, very hard to move up. They do not promote from within quickly, you must stay in your position for six months before you can APPLY for a different position. Then you still have to interview and compete against others. You will see people who have never worked at Home Depot hired for positions above you.

Promote from within, and stop with the minimum time in a position. It doesn't make sense to hire people who don't know the company into positions that current employees want.

It's been great working at Home Depot!

Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Jose, CA

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Management actually cares about you. They are extremely flexible with your schedules (obviously, you have to tell HR 3 weeks in advance). Most employees are friendly and respect each other. Work hard and there's a big chance for career growth with them--if that's what you want to do. The pay isn't big at first, but it is decent compared to many other big-box companies. For part-time associates, they even offer tuition reimbursement.

Cons

It's hard sometimes to "please the customer". Believe it or not, Home Depot pushes customer service more than anything else, so sometimes we have to go through great lengths to make sure the customer is happy with the service; this drains your soul sometimes... Also sometimes managers seem to chase associates to "see" if they are doing their job properly--like we are children.

Pair up your new sales associates with knowledgeable associates so they can learn quickly the stuff they will be supposed to know to assist customers better. It is a shame when I see new associates saying "I don't know," and just walking away from the customer.

Home Depot the PART TIME giant

Current Employee - Part Time Cashier in Shirley, NY
    Current Employee - Part Time Cashier in Shirley, NY

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flex Schedule with great training, very customer oriented, all employes have profit sharing. Most employees work together as a team.

Cons

PART TIME ONLY!!! They stress how most of the higher ups start as cashiers and you can move up, however, if you don't start as a cashier when you are 18 and move up slowly, you will never get anywhere.

A decent first job

Former Employee - Electrical Sales in Matteson, IL
    Former Employee - Electrical Sales in Matteson, IL

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

They have very flexible hours and you can be trained in various different departments

Cons

Sometimes the hours can be long and the management can be short-sighted when coming up with ideas to better serve the customers

Consult with the workers to help improve work atmosphere

A very fast paced demanding environment.

Current Employee - Lead Database Administrator in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Lead Database Administrator in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of job security. Contractors take night time production calls. Allows some work from home time.

Cons

Not very many vacation days and few holidays. Medical benefits not great. Delivery times for projects not always realistic. Could be better about celebrating successes of individual projects.

Pay more attention to the associates in the trenches. Discuss reasonable delivery times for projects and help us determine what it is going to take to deliver a solution and then set a date. Instead we tend to set a date and then stress we are not going to make an unrealistic delivery expectations.

Home Depot is a good company to work for

Current Employee - Flooring Department/Special Services in Daphne, AL
    Current Employee - Flooring Department/Special Services in Daphne, AL

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Store location is less than a half of a mile from my home. my last job was an hour and a half commute one way. training is webinar based. they have a good dental plan.

Cons

I worked for their flooring installation vendor for several years over a decade ago. I have been in the medical field for the last decade. When I got out of medicine due to healthcare reform and went back to the private sector, I found a lot had changed due to healthcare reform. Now only part time jobs are availiible.