The Home Depot Reviews

5,157 Reviews

The Home Depot Chairman and CEO Frank Blake
Frank Blake
3,214 Ratings

Pros
  • They are one of few companies today that provide part time employees with benefits (in 236 reviews)

• It has a good benefits package with a chance to obtain 7% bonus if you have a good review (in 213 reviews)

Cons
  • No work/life balance, so be ready to not see your love ones how you might like to (in 158 reviews)

• Now they mostly hire only part time that offers very little in the way of benifits (in 272 reviews)

More Highlights

We quit people not companies.

Current Employee - Department Supervisor in Balch Springs, TX
    Current Employee - Department Supervisor in Balch Springs, TX

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great service project to community. Great Benefits that are far reaching beyond health and insurance. Great Coworkers and direct reports. Great opportunity to learn invaluable lessons about running a business and how to take a holistic approach to running an operational and profitable business. You will learn invaluable DIY skills as a perk. You will learn how to manage difficult situations both in house and with customers. You will learn how to grow as a business person and do the impossible.

Cons

Personal and professional growth hurts. It will tedious and exhausting. No matter your experience or aptitude, working at the home depot is exhausting. You will work for people who were promoted based on potential or their networking skills, not necessarily ability or application of good leadership. They probably wont have a business degree nor specialize in logistics, teaching, or communication. I personally have worked for great and very horrible bosses here. It's important to pick one's battles. Transfer until you find a solid Store manager and ASM team.

Be humble, and then be more humble, and then assess whether you create an environment where others feel welcome to bring you their feedback, and consider whether you meet their feedback with quiet listening or a rebuttal. I have a comprehensive understanding of business and have achieved daily and weekly consistently, but am consistently degraded and demeaned and my accomplishments are unrecognized or questioned. This past year I have worked for a prideful bully. In years past my store manager was one who I truly admired.

ive been working at home depot for 10 months now and still employed

I have been working at The Home Depot

Pros

very easy work, management team is awesome

Cons

must be flexible , scheduling is not good for a family person

Great job job job job

Current Employee - Cashier in Pittsburg, KS
    Current Employee - Cashier in Pittsburg, KS

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Everything was great no complaints

Cons

Nothing was a con yeah

Nothing to report to management

Great company

I have been working at The Home Depot

Pros

The pay & benefits are good. It feels like a family, not just a job. The bonuses can be great!

Cons

Expectations can be hard to meet. Upper management makes frequent visits to the store & everything must be in order.

I love my job

Current Employee - Sales Associate - Flooring and Walls in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate - Flooring and Walls in Seattle, WA

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Competitive salaries, friendly co-workers and management, great support system, community volunteer programs, being acknowledged for your accomplishments, a lot of room to advance within the company, "success sharing" bonuses biannually for reaching sales goals

Cons

PTO starts after 1 year of being with the company

I love the management at my store. They were really helpful getting me started with the company. They will always smile and say hello every time I see them, and are available if I ever need advice.

It was great.

Former Employee - Stocker in Martinez, CA
    Former Employee - Stocker in Martinez, CA

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I liked the hours I worked.

Cons

Being able to get the job done in the time desired.

Need to give a little more time to get job done.

Fun place to work

I have been working at The Home Depot

Pros

Benefits, coworkers, making customers happy

Cons

full time is hard to get

Its not a job its an adventure!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Being empowered to help customers with their projects leaves me satisfied. If you are a people pleaser , then this is the place to work. My experience with HD has been very positive. I get paid to Talk, Teach and empower people all day how cool is that? The opportunities for moving up are always there if you have the work ethic and drive. I personally have moved up fast in the company. If you want it you have to work hard to get it. Love my job and still like going to work every day.!

Cons

Pay scale should be balanced with experience and education. Unfortunately your college education and experience have no relevance. Eventually you can work your way to higher pay but that's with years of employment.

Take care of your Key personnel. They are the ones who want your success as well as their own, Trust and employee retention are important factors in any successful business.

Hard Work and Great Experience to be had

Current Employee - Merchandise Department Supervisor
    Current Employee - Merchandise Department Supervisor

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fast paced work environment with big stores and big responsibility. Home Depot's pay structure exceeds in its compensation package. 401k match up to 5% contribution from associate ; Employee Stock Purchase Plan to purchase HD stock at a discount ; Tuition Reimbursement ; Commuter Reimbursement ; Cellular Phone plan discount ; Taking care of people is a huge value of home depot as well.

Cons

Open door office policy can make it difficult to get your word across, one would need to be persuasive and influential by nature to see growth and results. Very hard work at times, upside is there is always something to do. Tight Operating Profit structure means thin hours available.

We all are busy for different reasons. We have to give what we take in different ways so morale does not take a dive. Pay cashiers more (company president and CEO) so they have more stake in the company. Half of the customers don't even speak to an associate so trusting someone who is only making $8 / hour to impact VOC and your #1 goal is a step backwards.

Great small company that has become a good large company

Former Employee - Operations Manager
    Former Employee - Operations Manager

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great people and strong culture

Cons

Doesn't have that mission and passion that existing early on