The Home Depot

3.2 4,606 reviews

The Home Depot Chairman and CEO Frank Blake

Frank Blake

(2,905 ratings)

Pros
  • They are one of few companies today that provide part time employees with benefits (in 209 reviews)

• There were some good benefits for part-timers, such as a discount on your cell phone bill (in 190 reviews)

Cons
  • No work/life balance, so be ready to not see your love ones how you might like to (in 135 reviews)

• Now they mostly hire only part time that offers very little in the way of benifits (in 241 reviews)

More Highlights
4,606 Employee Reviews

Complete Chaos. Totally unorganized. Management has favorites.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood starting pay and dental benefits for part timers

ConsYearly raises with no negotiation

The Home Depot Response

Jul 28, 2014Client Partner

Thank you for sharing your review. We understand that our associates are the key to our success. We pay competitive rates and strive to create an environment where all associates feel they are ... More

It's a good place to work.

Millwork Sales Associate (Current Employee) Charlotte, NC

ProsIf you work hard, the management leaves you alone for the most part. You will build a good friendship with the other employees.

ConsYou can't get merit based raises. You only get a pay raise once a year and it's only based on what job title you have, not how good you are at it.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen you eliminate the possibility of out of sync raises, it gives the employees less to work for. You can have an awesome year in sales and see a 2% increase for a pay raise. It's not fair at all.

The Home Depot Response

Jul 31, 2014Client Partner

Great place to work.

ProsThey really help employees.

ConsHours get changed a lot.

Advice to Senior ManagementSet solid schedules.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It's is a wonderful place to work.

Loss Prevention (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsIt is one of the higher paying retail companies. You can buy stocks every six months at a discounted rate.

ConsThere is no employee discount.

A Great Company to work for... if you're a people person!

ProsThe Home Depot is an excellent company to work for if you're a people person AND if you take ownership and are committed to take an initiative in your dept. The cornerstones are: Customer service, in-stock and maintaining a clean dept. The company ensures their employees learn new products that are available as well as basic knowledge of tools, products and depending on dept., chemicals. I can't emphasize maturity and strong work ethic enough. D.H. (Dept. Heads) and store managers can't help but to take notice as this was my case.

ConsFull time positions are hard to come by as well as hours, especially during certain seasons. I was hired in early April in the garden dept. and after the weather started warming up, my hours easily swelled over 35 hours. After the 4th of July, the hours were dissipating fast within the weeks. Also, there will be times when an associate will work from 3pm-Midnight as this is part of their summer schedule. FYI - After the store is closed and if you're scheduled to work past the store hours, 'packing down' or filling the shelves in your dept. is pretty much req. The Con to doing that the store lights are extremely dimmed which might affect the isle that you're to pack down. (The Pro to that is at lest you won't have customers ;)

Advice to Senior ManagementMaybe doing something fun for associates on a monthly bases that builds morale in a laid back manner (Karaoke, ice cream social, etc).

Excellent company

ProsNo limit on how far you can go. I wish I had started working here years ago.

ConsHard to adjust to the varied hours.

It was very enjoyable and challenging at the same time.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe people are what makes it a great place to work. The associates as well as the customers. Tons of great training, I am taking away an abundance of skills I learned on the job as well as from my peers and leaders.

ConsWorking for a District Manager that had very little people skills and managed by intimidation. The benefits were also very expensive for a family plan.

Advice to Senior ManagementSoft skills are just as important in a Leader as hard skills. Understanding people and driving them to do their best and sharing the feeling of reward when accomplishments are made.

The experience is very challenging…a lot of diversity of employees about nationality, race, religions,etc competing hard

MET Associate (Current Employee) Fairfax, VA

ProsA lot of training. a lot of work. great benefits

ConsSupervisors manipulate the reviews to promote or stock down any candidate for the next level…no always fair.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest in your work and be honest by the moment of the review if you disagree with the feedback from your supervisor. Call HR.

Mixed Feelings

ProsGood benefits and the potential to move up if you have the right people on your side.

ConsNo work life balance. Close one night and then open the next. It's easy to have a single manager destroy your life/career if they don't like you.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop hiring so many people from the outside and focus on those wanting to promote.

Home Depot is a good option.

Loss Prevention (Current Employee) Rockford, IL

ProsPeople make the difference, There are great people there. The opportunity for advancement seems possible, but just like anywhere in retail management equals long hours.

ConsRetail hours are long and not family friendly. Hours are irregular and holidays and weekends are the norm in all retail.

Advice to Senior ManagementPressure seldom has positive results.

Worked for The Home Depot? Contribute to the Community!