The Home Depot Reviews

Reset
3.3
The Home Depot President & CEO Craig Menear
Craig Menear

Pros
  • The pay allows part time workers to survive at below poverty levels (in 254 reviews)

• Good benefits (we wil see what the new BCBS plan holds) (in 225 reviews)

Cons
  • days per week - So bad work/life balance (in 170 reviews)

• benifits are minimal for part time employees (in 282 reviews)

7,463 Employee Reviews

Changed my opinion about retailing

Current Employee - Merchandising Execution Associate in Loveland, CO
    Current Employee - Merchandising Execution Associate in Loveland, CO

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Home Depot has a solid moral compass. They aren't about sacrificing their ethics for the sake of a sale, which I love. They also hire a diverse group of people and give a lot back to the community. They offer a lot of benefits and little treats for their employees. Although they push their associates to meet quota, they're realistic about what can and can't be accomplished.

Cons

Home Depot has two different sides to it. Store associates and those of us considered "store support" who are payed by the vendors but work in the stores 100% of the time. I constantly hear about how store associates are stressed out by management and their hours are being rearranged a lot, cut, and they often are stretched thin due to lack of full staffing. "Store support" associates who do merchandising have it better than those who work in specific departments. However, you never really gain knowledge unless you have the time to look things up and read packaging.

Advice to Management

Stop promoting associates based off of favoritism.

Jun 29, 2015 – Client Partner

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. From the top down, the key to business at The Home Depot is our commitment to not only customer service, but to our associates. Because taking ... More

assistant store manager

I have been working at The Home Depot

Pros

awesome company to work for. Really takes care of the people

Cons

the schedule is not very good.

Jul 27, 2015 – Client Partner

Thank you for your feedback! We are happy to hear you are enjoying your employment with The Home Depot. Keep up the great work!

Great place to start a career.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Akron, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Akron, OH

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Family atmosphere, advancement opportunity, everything they do is in an effort to make the customer and associate experience as good as possible. Great benefits. 401k, tuition reimbursement, profit sharing, stock purchases at 15% discount, bonus payouts for salaried mgrs are exceptional.

Cons

Store hours shifts typically start as early as 5am and go as late as 11pm. Work enviroment can be stressful at times. Need to invest in having more associates on the floor. Stores are getting old and need updated.

Advice to Management

Invest in more associates. If you want to be the #1 customer service retailer in the world make sure the stores have enough bodies on the floor to execute your mission.

Jul 27, 2015 – Client Partner

5. Assistant Store Manager

Former Employee - Department Supervisor in Bronx, NY
    Former Employee - Department Supervisor in Bronx, NY

I worked at The Home Depot (More than 3 years)

Pros

Starting pay rate scheduling Bonus Benefits Promotions

Cons

None for me enjoyed my experience with the management team for noticing my work

Jul 28, 2015 – Client Partner

Thank you for taking the time to share a review. We are happy to hear you had a positive experience at The Home Depot.

6. Great place for a person in college

Former Employee - Lumber Sales Associate in Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - Lumber Sales Associate in Knoxville, TN

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible work schedules and great people

Cons

Minimum hours during non peak seasons

Advice to Management

Continue to cultivate accommodating atmosphere

7. Good Experience

Former Employee - Cashier in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Cashier in Houston, TX

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It allowed me to gain more experience working in customer service.

Cons

Wish I could've got more hours.

8. Greeter/ Cashier

Former Employee - Lead Auction Supervisor/Shift Supervisor in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Lead Auction Supervisor/Shift Supervisor in Memphis, TN

I worked at The Home Depot

Pros

I got to see people I had not seen in many years. I got to make new acquaintances that said , my smile made their day.

Cons

Working near the entrance in the winter could be uncomfortable if not dressed properly. Working every weekend was a bit of a challenge as well.

Advice to Management

As a greeter, the turnover rate wouldn't be so high if there was rotation of weekends in place. It was a position that many employees didn't enjoy.

Jul 28, 2015 – Client Partner

Thank you for your feedback! We are happy to hear you enjoyed your employment with The Home Depot. We appreciate all of your hard work.

9. Front End Supervisor

Former Employee - Department Supervisor in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Department Supervisor in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company cares about employees, conversely, employees are generally passionate about their jobs. Pay decent for a retailer, coworkers are pretty great for the most part. Bonuses good if you are a supervisor. Relatively easy to get time off if needed so long as its not in the middle of spring insanity. Pretty easy to move up and learn different positions.

Cons

Hours are obviously terrible, its retail after all. Each store is vastly different in how it is managed and operated.

Advice to Management

Would be nice if each store was equal and expectations were the same at each.

10. cashier

Current Employee - Cashier in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Cashier in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Overall great company good place to advance and great benefits family like setting

Cons

The customers can get very rude as in any other retail environment

MET Associate

Former Employee - Merchandising Execution Associate in Salem, OR
    Former Employee - Merchandising Execution Associate in Salem, OR

I worked at The Home Depot

Pros

The work was always different and presenting a new set of challenges for each night. That diversity meant you were constantly learning something new about how to set up and install things, which will come in handy down the road.

Cons

After the 4th store of the same projects as the previous 3, it does tend to get old, especially because of the lack of care given to the equipment you have to use (beams being bent to extremes/dented, lack of tools, etc.). When we were offered training for power equipment (forklifts, pallet jacks, etc) we almost never got approved to actually do it because "we already have people qualified for that on this team" despite them not always being there and possibly wanting to move to different teams/job titles that would require said training.

Advice to Management

Don't have unrealistic expectations about how many projects your team can do in a night when many of them require 100+ hours of work put in. Also, don't assume that your associates know everything, and don't get frustrated at their dedication to finishing a project that took longer than estimated so it would be done correctly and not abandoned and passed on to the next guy.

Showing 7,463 of 7,574 reviews