The Home Depot Reviews

4,831 Reviews

The Home Depot Chairman and CEO Frank Blake
Frank Blake
3,035 Ratings

Pros
  • They are one of few companies today that provide part time employees with benefits (in 209 reviews)

• There were some good benefits for part-timers, such as a discount on your cell phone bill (in 190 reviews)

Cons
  • No work/life balance, so be ready to not see your love ones how you might like to (in 135 reviews)

• Now they mostly hire only part time that offers very little in the way of benifits (in 241 reviews)

More Highlights

Fun and energizing atmosphere

Current Employee - Associate  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

If you enjoy sharing your knowledge or testing your creativity, Home Depot will supply and endless stream of your kind of experiences. YOUR experience and enthusiasm is what made Home Depot famous and it is still alive with many of the associates.
    The pressure is on when the traffic peaks, but it rarely lasts for more than an hour or so in any given area. That being said, wear good shoes and you'll get your 10,000 daily steps in to keep you fit.

Cons

At times the new retail methodology of part time and fewer people in the aisles is exasperating, but if you can appreciate being the person making people happy, you will enjoy working in the big box.
    People looking to advance are too often willing to sacrifice those under them with impossible tasking while they stroll through their daily list of "things to do ".

My advise comes from 40 years of watching people make the wrong choices. Management would increase the bottom line if they went back to basics. Knowledge is power! You created the near perfect retail experience and took all the strength out of it. If you add 10% strength (people working well in the aisles) you will add 20% to the sales. That is what you are losing every time aisles are empty or under staffed and you lose sales and sacrifice merchandise to vaandalism and theft.

Come lose some weight, have some fun, and join us!

Current Employee - Sales Associate - Seasonal Lawn and Garden  in  New Braunfels, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate - Seasonal Lawn and Garden in New Braunfels, TX

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great store, great managers, great co-workers, and great customers! The job itself is physical (walking, lifting, etc.) and mental (problem solving), so you will never be bored. Training is computer based (so you can learn at your own speed) and on the most part very interesting (there do inject humor here and there to lighten the mood). I would like to stay here until I retire if I could become full-time. Great place to work!

Cons

Home Depot is a large company. There is little local control over the inner workings of each store. Part time employees' hours are cut during slower times. Pay compensation is ok, but it is hard to advance to a better level.

The Home Depot Response

Aug 18, 2014Client Partner

Thank you for your feedback! We are happy to hear you are enjoying your employment with The Home Depot. Keep up the great work!

Garden Recovery

Former Employee - Garden Recovery  in  New Freedom, PA
    Former Employee - Garden Recovery in New Freedom, PA

I worked at The Home Depot as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Friendly coworkers.
    Always something to do.
    Good warehouse training.
    Feel like part of a family.
    Had charities available for needy employees.

Cons

Chaotic management.
    Annoying customer requests.
    No employee discounts.
    Low pay.
    Management plays favorites.

Please take the time to explain what needs to be done and offer us some discounts.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

cashier

Former Employee - Home Depot Cashier  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Home Depot Cashier in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at The Home Depot full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

kornos system has lead to this company's loss of great associates. I am victim of this unfortuniately! I have been punished for what is called tardiness but I call over worked and under paid. I have been late many times due to my childcare or over sleeping due to the lack of not remembering what days I work because of my flexible schedule. But fair is fair with this company and if they set rules and I break them I have to endure the concequence.

Cons

The benefits to this company is you learn how to home improve. I worked in three different departments and mastered each one of them. Freight team I learned the products, merchandise, and to operate machinery . Hardware I learned the use of power tools and do it your self housing projects. Cashiering I learned the BOPIS system. After being comfortable being a regular cashier I learned how to run the special service desk and the vault where booking is.

Find and make better rules to protect your associates. try to make a stress free enivornment for associates. Get rid of flex schedules (that's bad for your health). And learn to give people the opportunity to being promoted without making them cut throat, up tight, over worked, stressed, mean superviors or managers.

Good place for younger adults

I worked at The Home Depot part-time

Pros

Friendly place to work. employees like to help and work as a team. Managers can be nice and also offer help and guidance.

Cons

Not enough raises or employee recognition. Company often forgets about the employees when the time comes to appreciate them.

Best Company to Work for

Current Employee - Cashier  in  East Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Cashier in East Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time for less than a year

Pros

The management does their best to recognize key employees and offer promotions based on that. Personal growth is more than encouraged. Everyone for the most part is like minded in customer service department, which creates a pleasant environment to work in .

Cons

The only way to really get recognized is by opening up Customer Credit Accounts which is extremely hard to do and creates a sense of desperation and an unhealthy competition between employees, at least in the front end.

love it

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Ithaca, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Ithaca, NY

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

great co worker relations get along with almost everyone, fun to work at, always busy days go by fast, great management team at my store.

Cons

watching associates that do nothing (slackers) get ahead in company while the one who bust there butt do not. not promoting an associate cause there better for the store where they are now(to valuable) to the store in there present position

promote from within, promote those who deserve it.

The Home Depot Response

Aug 18, 2014Client Partner

Thank you for taking the time to share your review. Did you know we offer a variety of training courses, leadership programs, mentoring programs and promotion opportunities to associates at all ... More

Retail ... you work when others play ... should not be surprised

Former Employee - Home Depot Store Manager  in  Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Home Depot Store Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at The Home Depot full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Opportunities for advancement.
    Community involvement
    Number of locations
    Focus on customer service, keep it up because it is what other retailers don't provide.

Cons

Employer of Choice survey used to drive environment in store ... the biggest joke in the company. All leaders agree that this is very inaccurate yet they use it to guide so many decisions including careers of very strong salaried managers.
    Online team and service providers not being held accountable to the same customer service focus when not meeting commitments ... until truly fixed this will be the "elephant" in the room for Home Depot ... everyone must take care of the customer not just the stores.

Don't announce any of your "walks" ... that just creates chaos and an unrealistic store ... walk in see what is happening, ask questions ... then fix the issues or accept that this is Home Depot ... stop the "dog and pony" shows you should be better than this.

Great Company, Terrible Local Leadership

Former Employee - Receiving Manager  in  Oak Ridge, TN
    Former Employee - Receiving Manager in Oak Ridge, TN

I worked at The Home Depot full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The company values its associates, has great benefits, matching 401k, and semi-annual bonuses based on sales plan. The Home Depot was always investing their associates with tuition reimbursement, adoption assistance, financial management services, and many other perks. The Home Depot does not offer an employee discount. The local store environment is a fast paced work place, where you get an hour lunch so you work 9 hour shifts every day with very little overtime offered. As a full time associate, you accrue 4 hours a month of personal time, and you get 1 week of paid vacation after your first year, 2 weeks after your 2nd year and 3 weeks after your 5th year. Starting out as a new associate, the pay can be close to minimum wage or a little higher, but there is opportunity for much better pay when moving into full time positions as a huge bump in pay for department supervisor positions.

Cons

The company spends a lot of time talking about their values. The corporate leadership seems to back up these values on a daily basis, but local leadership in many different markets works on the good old boy system. I spent 10 years with the company, and could manage any department, and yet I never felt valued by any of my leaders. If you were not in the clothing industry or from grocery it was almost impossible to get into store leadership or above. There always seemed to be a huge agenda by all of the local leadership which never involved teaching, training, or coaching existing associates to prepare them for leadership roles. The Home Depot consistently takes management from other companies to fill leadership roles, and after 10 years I got fed up with trying to break into management.

Create a culture that offers opportunity for those who have dedicated a lot of time and effort. Create a training program that leads to management roles, and make it easier for those who desire to grow within the company to take advantage of open positions throughout the company. I filled out over 200 applications in the career depot system for assistant manager roles, and never received a phone call or an interview.

Good compensation & benefits, lots of people who really want to do what they are trained to do

Former Employee - Salaried Management  in  Lafayette, LA
    Former Employee - Salaried Management in Lafayette, LA

I worked at The Home Depot full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Salary plus bonuses plus benefits. Big box retail management like any other requires flexibility in schedule.

Cons

Do-nothing managers who hide all day & leave you hanging. Trying to do the right thing plus manage your assigned portion of the business while still having to manage entire operations. Senior management will not recognize performance of salaried team.

Pay attention to the ones who really are pulling the weight of the entire box. Acknowledge their efforts! It's not always about the money!

Worked for The Home Depot? Contribute to the Community!