The Home Depot

3.2 4,577 reviews

The Home Depot Chairman and CEO Frank Blake

Frank Blake

(2,893 ratings)

Pros
  • They are one of few companies today that provide part time employees with benefits(in 209 reviews)

• There were some good benefits for part-timers, such as a discount on your cell phone bill(in 190 reviews)

Cons
  • No work/life balance, so be ready to not see your love ones how you might like to(in 135 reviews)

• Now they mostly hire only part time that offers very little in the way of benifits(in 241 reviews)

4,577 Employee Reviews

Complete Chaos. Totally unorganized. Management has favorites.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood starting pay and dental benefits for part timers

ConsYearly raises with no negotiation

The Home Depot Client Partner responded to this review

Jul 28, 2014

Thank you for sharing your review. We understand that our associates are the key to our success. We pay competitive rates and strive to create an environment where all associates feel they are ... More

Great Company

ProsPersonal Growth, company values are great and live orange with in everyday life. Company offers great growth within company. Ones success is based on the individual.

ConsLong Hours, Promotional offers within company are great associates are always aware of promotions due to companies policies on growth

If you choose to work retail I recommend Home Depot

Cashier (Current Employee) Honolulu, HI

ProsHonestly it depends the volume of your store. If you are in a high volume store (like myself) there is a lot of room for growth. The HD takes care of it's employees. I've worked quite a few retail jobs and this is the one job that I'm actually happy to go to work each morning. Usually in a retail environment the values of the company revolve around money, money, money. But at the HD customer service really is top priority. They understand that if they want to be successful the key is to make people happy (customers and associates alike.) Plus, there is a lot of positions in the store so it gives many an oppertunity to get work. They understand that you have a life outside of work and will work with you to balance things out. Plus, other than Costco, they pay better than any store I've worked and applied for. Oh, and you will meet A LOT of wonderful people.

ConsIt takes awhile to build up sick time. It's difficult to get full time. In small volume stores it takes forever to move up. Benefits are only offered to full timers. Sometimes you have to deal with short tempered customers. You have to be able to overlook rudeness and critisim.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake the time to learn your associaties names, and always try to have a genuinly positive personality. When our managment is kind and enthusiastic, we have tendancy to mirror that.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Would be a great place to work if i did not live in a small town

Millwork Sales Specialist (Former Employee) Thatcher, AZ

Prosoffer a bunch of training and its not a bad if you like customer service

Conssmall town politics ruined my experience and the store manager was retarded he honestly did not know what his job was he got it cause he was the only one who applied

My 12 years with HD

Kitchen and Bath Designer (Former Employee) Oklahoma City, OK

ProsLoved my job, I really liked doing designs for customers and making them happy with their choices

ConsManagement in this store is not very good to some of his associates. He rode me pretty hard, wrote me more than any one has ever done. Matter of fact I don't think I ever got a write up until he came to this store. I made good money and loved my job, but I did get very sick with an uncontrolled Diabetes. I was sick all of the time and didn't know why. Now I do. The stress from management contributed to my glucose levels being so high all the time

Advice to Senior ManagementHe needs to be personable and absolutely stop riding people on the floor. He did this often. I thought this was never approbiate. and I personally had this done to me and I witnessed several other associates that were being repromanded in this manner

The Home Depot Client Partner responded to this review

Jul 25, 2014

Thank you for your feedback! We are happy to hear you enjoyed your employment with The Home Depot. Our associates and managers alike are essential parts of The Home Depot’s network. We appreciate ... More

Good starting job

ProsIt's pretty easy to work here while still giving some challenges. Most people working here are friendly.

ConsThey will reduce your hours without notice.

Great first job experience

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Denver, CO

Proseveryone that works here is very tight knit family and you are welcomed easily. This was my first job and it was a very good experience.

ConsThe managers do not really help and listen to all of your questions or ideas regarding different topics. The training was very good and prompt whenever i had a question.

It's a good place to work.

Millwork Sales Associate (Current Employee) Charlotte, NC

ProsIf you work hard, the management leaves you alone for the most part. You will build a good friendship with the other employees.

ConsYou can't get merit based raises. You only get a pay raise once a year and it's only based on what job title you have, not how good you are at it.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen you eliminate the possibility of out of sync raises, it gives the employees less to work for. You can have an awesome year in sales and see a 2% increase for a pay raise. It's not fair at all.

Awesome

Night Ops Asm (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsFair pay ,great benefits , secure

ConsLong hours , not always well planned

Comfortable if you are not ambitious, cut-throat if you are.

Hardware Sales Associate (Current Employee)

ProsVery laissez faire attitude. Show up to work, don't slack and you will have a consistent job with $.30 yearly raises.
    Its a job.

ConsFavoritism is prevalent. If you work exceptionally hard or provide splendid customer service, it will likely go unnoticed unless you are real tight with one of the higher ups. May take you a good minute to get in good with someone, just try to avoid being someone who can't get stuff done. Oh and biggest peeve is the whole "you can work full-time, but that doesn't make you eligible for full-time benefits". You could potentially work harder and more hours than someone who is "full-time", but on holidays they will get double the pay that you will.

Advice to Senior ManagementCustomer service would improve if more sales associates were cross trained across different departments.
    Employee retention may improve if part-timers had more opportunities to become full-time, or at least a health care option.

Worked for The Home Depot? Contribute to the Community!