The Home Depot Reviews

3.3
6,219 Reviews
The Home Depot President & CEO Craig Menear
Craig Menear

Pros
  • They are one of few companies today that provide part time employees with benefits (in 254 reviews)

• It has a good benefits package with a chance to obtain 7% bonus if you have a good review (in 225 reviews)

Cons
  • No work/life balance, so be ready to not see your love ones how you might like to (in 170 reviews)

• Now they mostly hire only part time that offers very little in the way of benifits (in 282 reviews)

Freight is a professional and fun atmosphere.

Current Employee - Freight Team Associate
    Current Employee - Freight Team Associate

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The atmosphere is extremely laid back for our department, and although not everybody is friends, working together professionally doesn’t seem to be a problem. In the one instance I had an issue that required HR or management involvement, it was taken seriously and dealt with immediately. Our department demands constant communication and teamwork, and while it is something that we need to work on, the management and supervisors are always working with us to keep up to date on progress and any issues that come up.
    Safety is a major component to working freight, and it is taken seriously at this store. While I may consider using a ladder to carry a heavier item up to the overhead, there is always someone around offering to help or offering to use the order picker if needed.
    In general, this store carries a fun, friendly, and inviting sense of teamwork, which is a change from when I worked there a few years ago. Management and supervisors are easy to communicate with and accessible anytime, and hard work is noticed and congratulated via Bravos and other congratulatory avenues -- knowing others recognize your effort and professionalism really makes this store quite high in morale compared to other retail companies I’ve worked for.
    The pay increase for Freight’s base pay is a huge positive for me -- finally knowing that the store recognizes the hard work and effort for freight workers really makes working here more satisfying.

Cons

The balance of department hours and cross training was an issue with my previous time here and looks like it may be again. I wish to train in sales departments simply for product knowledge, not to switch departments. Being in the operations department and working 1-2 hours during store hours, it is hard for me to answer customer questions if I am not trained for a department. Generally I can call a department associate, but near the end of business hours there isn't always somebody readily available. I’d enjoy being able to help with more than just directing a customer to another person or to a specific aisle, but it would also be nice to have more sales associates cross trained or on the clock near the end of the night.
    Being part time has the drawback of not always knowing if I will be working 12 or 20 hours a week, and picking up hours in other departments isn’t an option yet as I lack training. Hopefully this will be rectified soon.

The only issue I have currently with the store is the previously mentioned lack of employees during late evening hours (7 p.m. - close) that have the knowledge and are available. Scrambling to find someone to help a customer with specific questions and not always knowing who is on in each department each night can be frustrating to both customers and those who work behind the scenes.

A lot of work for very little money.

Former Employee - Department Supervisor in Lewiston, ID
    Former Employee - Department Supervisor in Lewiston, ID

I worked at The Home Depot

Pros

People are great as a rule.

Cons

Low pay for very physical work.

Great coworkers, terrible management...

Current Employee - Part Time Cashier in Dawsonville, GA
    Current Employee - Part Time Cashier in Dawsonville, GA

I have been working at The Home Depot

Pros

Dental and vision insurance, discount stock purchasing, overall great benefits and for part-time! Coworkers at my store are what make it so fun, great relationships

Cons

management is absolutely terrible, they want you to do a ton of work for really awful pay (better than min wage but still), and you only get to grow as a person if you kiss up to management

care about your employees, don't set ridiculous and unachievable goals for people who have no control over their success (because of customers), and figure out how to give medical insurance back to part-time workers!

5. Decent job for those who need one

I have been working at The Home Depot

Pros

I have been here for 1 year. They treat their employes great. Flexible hours which is amazing if you are part time. (See cons)

Cons

If you are a full time employee, part-timers can ruin your steady schedule.

6. Great Company

Former Employee - Click to Chat Bath Specialist in Baton Rouge, LA
    Former Employee - Click to Chat Bath Specialist in Baton Rouge, LA

I worked at The Home Depot

Pros

Flexibility, wonderful staff - offered tuition reimbursement and other great benefits. Management was professional and always understanding.

Cons

I can't think of any cons besides the fact that they decided to locate - they offered a great severance package.

Good Part-Time job if you're going to school.

Current Employee - Cashier
    Current Employee - Cashier

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Flexible, awesome co-workers. Decent starting pay

Cons

Contractors are butt holes. Customers expect you to know everything even though you're a cashier.

A great place to work, offering constant interaction with customers on a high customer service level.

Current Employee - Freight Team Supervisor in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Freight Team Supervisor in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at The Home Depot

Pros

Has a great opportunity for advancement, while learning a number of different useful skills.

Cons

I would have to say, not being a Union affiliated company.

Better communication skills and management training for some!

Flexible

Current Employee - Freight Team Associate in Spokane, WA
    Current Employee - Freight Team Associate in Spokane, WA

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Flexible with hours, but I worked overnight as a Freight Associate. Saftey standards are enforced. Good place to work for people with initiative.

Cons

Low standards for employment so your co-workers are not great to put it softly. People are only held accountable for saftey, and not productivity, so some people just slack off all night.

Do not be shy about firing employees that only show up to collect a pay check. Good hard working employees like to work with other hard working employees. When I have to work with someone that drags their feet all day it is frustrating, and hurts moral.

10. Great company so far

Current Employee - Lumber Sales Associate in Olathe, KS
    Current Employee - Lumber Sales Associate in Olathe, KS

I have been working at The Home Depot

Pros

Great management. Great team atmosphere. Opportunity to learn daily. Great interaction with the public. Always something to do.

Cons

So far, there have been none yet.

Make the aisles wider, so that stock can be put away easier and FASTER, thus saving time. Also would be easier for our customers to go through the store. Have more trust in your employees to unlock doors by providing keys to more people.

11. 1 year as a flooring specialist.

Current Employee - Flooring Specialist
    Current Employee - Flooring Specialist

I have been working at The Home Depot

Pros

Friendly atmosphere, great benefits, the pay could be better but is competitive, profit sharing and stock purchase plan keep employees interested in the company.

Cons

Lots of training to do, hard to move up the ladder, hours can put stress on life outside of work

Make training available to those that are wanting to get promoted not just those that are already promoted.