The Home Depot Reviews

3.3
6,189 Reviews
The Home Depot President & CEO Craig Menear
Craig Menear

Pros
  • They are one of few companies today that provide part time employees with benefits (in 254 reviews)

• It has a good benefits package with a chance to obtain 7% bonus if you have a good review (in 225 reviews)

Cons
  • No work/life balance, so be ready to not see your love ones how you might like to (in 170 reviews)

• Now they mostly hire only part time that offers very little in the way of benifits (in 282 reviews)

Freight is a professional and fun atmosphere.

Current Employee - Freight Team Associate
    Current Employee - Freight Team Associate

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The atmosphere is extremely laid back for our department, and although not everybody is friends, working together professionally doesn’t seem to be a problem. In the one instance I had an issue that required HR or management involvement, it was taken seriously and dealt with immediately. Our department demands constant communication and teamwork, and while it is something that we need to work on, the management and supervisors are always working with us to keep up to date on progress and any issues that come up.
    Safety is a major component to working freight, and it is taken seriously at this store. While I may consider using a ladder to carry a heavier item up to the overhead, there is always someone around offering to help or offering to use the order picker if needed.
    In general, this store carries a fun, friendly, and inviting sense of teamwork, which is a change from when I worked there a few years ago. Management and supervisors are easy to communicate with and accessible anytime, and hard work is noticed and congratulated via Bravos and other congratulatory avenues -- knowing others recognize your effort and professionalism really makes this store quite high in morale compared to other retail companies I’ve worked for.
    The pay increase for Freight’s base pay is a huge positive for me -- finally knowing that the store recognizes the hard work and effort for freight workers really makes working here more satisfying.

Cons

The balance of department hours and cross training was an issue with my previous time here and looks like it may be again. I wish to train in sales departments simply for product knowledge, not to switch departments. Being in the operations department and working 1-2 hours during store hours, it is hard for me to answer customer questions if I am not trained for a department. Generally I can call a department associate, but near the end of business hours there isn't always somebody readily available. I’d enjoy being able to help with more than just directing a customer to another person or to a specific aisle, but it would also be nice to have more sales associates cross trained or on the clock near the end of the night.
    Being part time has the drawback of not always knowing if I will be working 12 or 20 hours a week, and picking up hours in other departments isn’t an option yet as I lack training. Hopefully this will be rectified soon.

The only issue I have currently with the store is the previously mentioned lack of employees during late evening hours (7 p.m. - close) that have the knowledge and are available. Scrambling to find someone to help a customer with specific questions and not always knowing who is on in each department each night can be frustrating to both customers and those who work behind the scenes.

A lot of work for very little money.

Former Employee - Department Supervisor in Lewiston, ID
    Former Employee - Department Supervisor in Lewiston, ID

I worked at The Home Depot

Pros

People are great as a rule.

Cons

Low pay for very physical work.

3. awesome

I have been working at The Home Depot

Pros

great place to work and shop at

Cons

very big with many products can make shopping lengthy

bring a positive vibe to the work environment

5. Working at home depot was an amazing experience. I learned at little about each dept as a cashier.

Former Employee - Cashier in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Cashier in Tampa, FL

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Never a dull moment, always busy.

Cons

Hard on the feet but if you find the right shoes you're good to go.

6. Nice people low pay. This could be a good start for kids as well to complement your wages from a main job. A

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Richland, SC
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Richland, SC

I have been working at The Home Depot

Pros

Great environment, is nice to talk to all people and besides that is that you are active (if you are not lazy) an can walk to the store along many times. Your muscles will suffer at the beginning but after some time you will feel great if your user the proper shoes, it took me about 2 months to do this.(no more sores muscles).

Cons

lot of work, have to balance your times, but management is very accessible to request. Not everybody plays well a lot of the associates do the minimum they can. Other associates are great specially full timers. Some customers are AH but 99% of customer is nice people in my area

Select the best candidates for specialist positions, no everyone is very engaged in their jobs, cross train people using the machines, make the fat girls walk, not just chat all the time.

7. Great company, poor management

Former Employee - Merchandising Execution Associate in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Merchandising Execution Associate in Madison, WI

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits. Intelligent coworkers for the most part.

Cons

Very poor management. You will need to be educated in the department you want if you want a chance at full time.

The HR people employed at various stores are very manipulative and to much favoritism in the middle management.

Great coworkers, terrible management...

Current Employee - Part Time Cashier in Dawsonville, GA
    Current Employee - Part Time Cashier in Dawsonville, GA

I have been working at The Home Depot

Pros

Dental and vision insurance, discount stock purchasing, overall great benefits and for part-time! Coworkers at my store are what make it so fun, great relationships

Cons

management is absolutely terrible, they want you to do a ton of work for really awful pay (better than min wage but still), and you only get to grow as a person if you kiss up to management

care about your employees, don't set ridiculous and unachievable goals for people who have no control over their success (because of customers), and figure out how to give medical insurance back to part-time workers!

9. Great Company

I have been working at The Home Depot

Pros

Loyalty, great Management, opportunities and advancement

Cons

Vacation time, cost of health care

10. I love working here! It began as just a paycheck but now it means so much more to me

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The company REALLY takes care of its associates. You can advance, but competition is fierce so you have to work really hard!

Cons

At the end of the day it is still retail and some of the customers can be difficult.

I would prefer more fixed timing but it is what it is.

11. Enjoy working for a people orientated employer.

Current Employee - Sales Associate - Seasonal Lawn and Garden
    Current Employee - Sales Associate - Seasonal Lawn and Garden

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good hours, good pay and chance for advancement

Cons

Picking up slack for sackers

Nome