The Home Depot Reviews

3.3
6,456 Reviews
The Home Depot President & CEO Craig Menear
Craig Menear

Pros
  • They are one of few companies today that provide part time employees with benefits (in 254 reviews)

• It has a good benefits package with a chance to obtain 7% bonus if you have a good review (in 225 reviews)

Cons
  • No work/life balance, so be ready to not see your love ones how you might like to (in 170 reviews)

• Now they mostly hire only part time that offers very little in the way of benifits (in 282 reviews)

Operations

Current Employee - Oasm in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Oasm in Louisville, KY

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great pay and bonuses opportunities. Family type environment. The company does a lot of great things for its communities and associates.

Cons

For salaried mgmt, lost family and personal time is more than I originally expected.

Freight is a professional and fun atmosphere.

Current Employee - Freight Team Associate
    Current Employee - Freight Team Associate

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The atmosphere is extremely laid back for our department, and although not everybody is friends, working together professionally doesn’t seem to be a problem. In the one instance I had an issue that required HR or management involvement, it was taken seriously and dealt with immediately. Our department demands constant communication and teamwork, and while it is something that we need to work on, the management and supervisors are always working with us to keep up to date on progress and any issues that come up.
    Safety is a major component to working freight, and it is taken seriously at this store. While I may consider using a ladder to carry a heavier item up to the overhead, there is always someone around offering to help or offering to use the order picker if needed.
    In general, this store carries a fun, friendly, and inviting sense of teamwork, which is a change from when I worked there a few years ago. Management and supervisors are easy to communicate with and accessible anytime, and hard work is noticed and congratulated via Bravos and other congratulatory avenues -- knowing others recognize your effort and professionalism really makes this store quite high in morale compared to other retail companies I’ve worked for.
    The pay increase for Freight’s base pay is a huge positive for me -- finally knowing that the store recognizes the hard work and effort for freight workers really makes working here more satisfying.

Cons

The balance of department hours and cross training was an issue with my previous time here and looks like it may be again. I wish to train in sales departments simply for product knowledge, not to switch departments. Being in the operations department and working 1-2 hours during store hours, it is hard for me to answer customer questions if I am not trained for a department. Generally I can call a department associate, but near the end of business hours there isn't always somebody readily available. I’d enjoy being able to help with more than just directing a customer to another person or to a specific aisle, but it would also be nice to have more sales associates cross trained or on the clock near the end of the night.
    Being part time has the drawback of not always knowing if I will be working 12 or 20 hours a week, and picking up hours in other departments isn’t an option yet as I lack training. Hopefully this will be rectified soon.

Advice to Management

The only issue I have currently with the store is the previously mentioned lack of employees during late evening hours (7 p.m. - close) that have the knowledge and are available. Scrambling to find someone to help a customer with specific questions and not always knowing who is on in each department each night can be frustrating to both customers and those who work behind the scenes.

Changed my opinion about retailing

Current Employee - Merchandising Execution Associate in Loveland, CO
    Current Employee - Merchandising Execution Associate in Loveland, CO

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Home Depot has a solid moral compass. They aren't about sacrificing their ethics for the sake of a sale, which I love. They also hire a diverse group of people and give a lot back to the community. They offer a lot of benefits and little treats for their employees. Although they push their associates to meet quota, they're realistic about what can and can't be accomplished.

Cons

Home Depot has two different sides to it. Store associates and those of us considered "store support" who are payed by the vendors but work in the stores 100% of the time. I constantly hear about how store associates are stressed out by management and their hours are being rearranged a lot, cut, and they often are stretched thin due to lack of full staffing. "Store support" associates who do merchandising have it better than those who work in specific departments. However, you never really gain knowledge unless you have the time to look things up and read packaging.

Advice to Management

Stop promoting associates based off of favoritism.

Sales Specialist; Appliances, K&B, Flooring

Former Employee - Sales Associate in West Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in West Seattle, WA

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great company that treats their hourly with more respect than any other retail or big box company by offering full benefits, vacations, 401k, etc., as well as profit sharing bi-annually.

Cons

Not sure if this is a company or a manager criteria, but scheduling 7 to 10 days in a row and shifts that are only 8 hrs apart from ending one and beginning the other is very grueling and not efficient.

Advice to Management

No advice.

Supervisor

Current Employee - Specialty Department Supervisor in Flint, MI
    Current Employee - Specialty Department Supervisor in Flint, MI

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time

Pros

Great people and no two days are really the same. You have some ability to control sales and your own business.

Cons

The company is starting to become micro managed.

Advice to Management

Record profits and yet still low pay. Success sharing is good if you get the bonus for being high in sales, but its still laughable.

Sales Associate

I worked at The Home Depot

Pros

Great people
    free food
    friendly Co workers

Cons

Low pay, poor salary
    poor hours in part time schedule

Best company to work for.

Current Employee - Cashier in South Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Cashier in South Tampa, FL

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I was hired on the spot, and started three days later. I have loved working for the company, and it has great perks. The employees truly become your family and the benefits are great. There is so much room to grow in the company.

Cons

Pay isn't as much as up north, but cost of living is much cheaper, so I guess it evens out.

9. Cashier

Current Employee - Cashier in Augusta, GA
    Current Employee - Cashier in Augusta, GA

I have been working at The Home Depot

Pros

Very nice management staff. Easy employment process. Can't wait to start.

Cons

None so far I like it

10. This is a great company to work for

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Kennesaw, GA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Kennesaw, GA

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They take time out to assist every employees needs

Cons

It takes a while for them to change your schedual

11. I LOVE THD

Former Employee - Associate Support Department Supervisor in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Associate Support Department Supervisor in Charlotte, NC

I worked at The Home Depot (More than 3 years)

Pros

Overall THD is a great company to work for. In my experience working with the company I saw many associates being promoted from within. This in turn increases moral or the store when it shows it is possible to move up in the company if that is your goal. Hard work does pay off. I have hear from horror stories about the company but this also changes per store, ultimately I would still suggest anyone apply.

Cons

Some of downsides include not having as much of a work life balance once you begin to step into management. There are a lot of expectations in working for a large growing company. So if hard work scares you don’t apply for supervisor positions.