The Home Depot

4,753 Reviews

The Home Depot Chairman and CEO Frank Blake
Frank Blake
2,991 Ratings

Pros
  • They are one of few companies today that provide part time employees with benefits (in 209 reviews)

• There were some good benefits for part-timers, such as a discount on your cell phone bill (in 190 reviews)

Cons
  • No work/life balance, so be ready to not see your love ones how you might like to (in 135 reviews)

• Now they mostly hire only part time that offers very little in the way of benifits (in 241 reviews)

More Highlights

Fun and energizing atmosphere

Current Employee - Associate  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Associate in Chicago, IL

Pros

If you enjoy sharing your knowledge or testing your creativity, Home Depot will supply and endless stream of your kind of experiences. YOUR experience and enthusiasm is what made Home Depot famous and it is still alive with many of the associates.
    The pressure is on when the traffic peaks, but it rarely lasts for more than an hour or so in any given area. That being said, wear good shoes and you'll get your 10,000 daily steps in to keep you fit.

Cons

At times the new retail methodology of part time and fewer people in the aisles is exasperating, but if you can appreciate being the person making people happy, you will enjoy working in the big box.
    People looking to advance are too often willing to sacrifice those under them with impossible tasking while they stroll through their daily list of "things to do ".

My advise comes from 40 years of watching people make the wrong choices. Management would increase the bottom line if they went back to basics. Knowledge is power! You created the near perfect retail experience and took all the strength out of it. If you add 10% strength (people working well in the aisles) you will add 20% to the sales. That is what you are losing every time aisles are empty or under staffed and you lose sales and sacrifice merchandise to vaandalism and theft.

Come lose some weight, have some fun, and join us!

Current Employee - Sales Associate - Seasonal Lawn and Garden  in  New Braunfels, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate - Seasonal Lawn and Garden in New Braunfels, TX

Pros

Great store, great managers, great co-workers, and great customers! The job itself is physical (walking, lifting, etc.) and mental (problem solving), so you will never be bored. Training is computer based (so you can learn at your own speed) and on the most part very interesting (there do inject humor here and there to lighten the mood). I would like to stay here until I retire if I could become full-time. Great place to work!

Cons

Home Depot is a large company. There is little local control over the inner workings of each store. Part time employees' hours are cut during slower times. Pay compensation is ok, but it is hard to advance to a better level.

Aug 18, 2014Client Partner

Thank you for your feedback! We are happy to hear you are enjoying your employment with The Home Depot. Keep up the great work!

Garden Recovery

Former Employee - Garden Recovery  in  New Freedom, PA
    Former Employee - Garden Recovery in New Freedom, PA

Pros

Friendly coworkers.
    Always something to do.
    Good warehouse training.
    Feel like part of a family.
    Had charities available for needy employees.

Cons

Chaotic management.
    Annoying customer requests.
    No employee discounts.
    Low pay.
    Management plays favorites.

Please take the time to explain what needs to be done and offer us some discounts.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Complete Chaos. Totally unorganized. Management has favorites.

Pros

Good starting pay and dental benefits for part timers

Cons

Yearly raises with no negotiation

Jul 28, 2014Client Partner

Thank you for sharing your review. We understand that our associates are the key to our success. We pay competitive rates and strive to create an environment where all associates feel they are ... More

cashier

Former Employee - Home Depot Cashier  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Home Depot Cashier in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

kornos system has lead to this company's loss of great associates. I am victim of this unfortuniately! I have been punished for what is called tardiness but I call over worked and under paid. I have been late many times due to my childcare or over sleeping due to the lack of not remembering what days I work because of my flexible schedule. But fair is fair with this company and if they set rules and I break them I have to endure the concequence.

Cons

The benefits to this company is you learn how to home improve. I worked in three different departments and mastered each one of them. Freight team I learned the products, merchandise, and to operate machinery . Hardware I learned the use of power tools and do it your self housing projects. Cashiering I learned the BOPIS system. After being comfortable being a regular cashier I learned how to run the special service desk and the vault where booking is.

Find and make better rules to protect your associates. try to make a stress free enivornment for associates. Get rid of flex schedules (that's bad for your health). And learn to give people the opportunity to being promoted without making them cut throat, up tight, over worked, stressed, mean superviors or managers.

Good place to work at

Pros

I had a great time working there. They were able to work around my school schedule. My coworkers were great and as were the managers.

Cons

They are strict about being late. You can't trade shifts with someone if there's an emergency. You have to call out or ask the head cashier in advance to switch shifts with someone. Schedules are always subject to change.

Aug 18, 2014Client Partner

Thank you for your feedback! We are happy to hear you enjoyed your employment with The Home Depot. We appreciate all of your hard work.

The title was very good because.

Current Employee - Lot Associate  in  Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Lot Associate in Bethesda, MD

Pros

You can learn more and get promoted.

Cons

If you can't lift too much weight you're prejudiced.

Aug 18, 2014Client Partner

Thanks for taking the time to share your comments. We have shared your feedback with others. Our associates are encouraged to adopt and adapt good ideas from others, and initiate creative and ... More

love it

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Ithaca, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Ithaca, NY

Pros

great co worker relations get along with almost everyone, fun to work at, always busy days go by fast, great management team at my store.

Cons

watching associates that do nothing (slackers) get ahead in company while the one who bust there butt do not. not promoting an associate cause there better for the store where they are now(to valuable) to the store in there present position

promote from within, promote those who deserve it.

Aug 18, 2014Client Partner

Thank you for taking the time to share your review. Did you know we offer a variety of training courses, leadership programs, mentoring programs and promotion opportunities to associates at all ... More

The Best!

Pros

Feeling like your family atmosphere,growth opportunities,open door policies with upper mgmt.

Cons

The foreign temps. that get hired and leave every year.We need to have associates ready to replace so as not to short staff the store.

Great company to work for.

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Baton Rouge, LA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Baton Rouge, LA

Pros

Home Depot is the leader in retail home improvement, it has good benefits ( after 90 days), very customers service oriented, provides flexible scheduling, good atmosphere among co-workers, upward mobility encouraged and expected.

Cons

If your not a people person you might have a problem working here. This after all is a retail, big box store. The HD business model of fair pricing is achieved by volume sales. Volume sales equals lots of customers. Your involvement all day with customers that have varying degrees of knowledge and expertise can be trying. Sometimes you may be answering technical question from a professional then the next, giving a 'how to' demo to a novice.

Continue keep up the employees moral up with opportunity for advancement and raises.

Worked for The Home Depot? Contribute to the Community!