The Home Depot

3.3
5,997 Reviews

The Home Depot President & CEO Craig Menear
Craig Menear

Pros
  • They are one of few companies today that provide part time employees with benefits (in 254 reviews)

• It has a good benefits package with a chance to obtain 7% bonus if you have a good review (in 225 reviews)

Cons
  • No work/life balance, so be ready to not see your love ones how you might like to (in 170 reviews)

• Now they mostly hire only part time that offers very little in the way of benifits (in 282 reviews)

More Highlights

Freight is a professional and fun atmosphere.

Current Employee - Freight Team Associate
    Current Employee - Freight Team Associate

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The atmosphere is extremely laid back for our department, and although not everybody is friends, working together professionally doesn’t seem to be a problem. In the one instance I had an issue that required HR or management involvement, it was taken seriously and dealt with immediately. Our department demands constant communication and teamwork, and while it is something that we need to work on, the management and supervisors are always working with us to keep up to date on progress and any issues that come up.
    Safety is a major component to working freight, and it is taken seriously at this store. While I may consider using a ladder to carry a heavier item up to the overhead, there is always someone around offering to help or offering to use the order picker if needed.
    In general, this store carries a fun, friendly, and inviting sense of teamwork, which is a change from when I worked there a few years ago. Management and supervisors are easy to communicate with and accessible anytime, and hard work is noticed and congratulated via Bravos and other congratulatory avenues -- knowing others recognize your effort and professionalism really makes this store quite high in morale compared to other retail companies I’ve worked for.
    The pay increase for Freight’s base pay is a huge positive for me -- finally knowing that the store recognizes the hard work and effort for freight workers really makes working here more satisfying.

Cons

The balance of department hours and cross training was an issue with my previous time here and looks like it may be again. I wish to train in sales departments simply for product knowledge, not to switch departments. Being in the operations department and working 1-2 hours during store hours, it is hard for me to answer customer questions if I am not trained for a department. Generally I can call a department associate, but near the end of business hours there isn't always somebody readily available. I’d enjoy being able to help with more than just directing a customer to another person or to a specific aisle, but it would also be nice to have more sales associates cross trained or on the clock near the end of the night.
    Being part time has the drawback of not always knowing if I will be working 12 or 20 hours a week, and picking up hours in other departments isn’t an option yet as I lack training. Hopefully this will be rectified soon.

The only issue I have currently with the store is the previously mentioned lack of employees during late evening hours (7 p.m. - close) that have the knowledge and are available. Scrambling to find someone to help a customer with specific questions and not always knowing who is on in each department each night can be frustrating to both customers and those who work behind the scenes.

Probationary Period

Current Employee - Cashier in Augusta, GA
    Current Employee - Cashier in Augusta, GA

I have been working at The Home Depot

Pros

I love working at the home depot.The job is great The people are nice, and it's the best career opportunity I've had since I started working.I'm still young

Cons

I've had car troubles since I started working here back in October.I've been struggling paying to fix my car and sharing a car with my family.I fear I will be terminated , because of my occurrences. My problems are finally resolved but I fear it may be too late.

I think that your attendance policy is too strict. It seems you don't care about your employees problems ,So long as they are on time everytime. I pride myself on my work ethic. My situation became beyond my reach ( I still take full responsibility). I am here whenever I am scheduled and cover anyone who calls out without going into overtime. I just want to redeem myself without losing my job.

Honest work, friendly people, great potential

Current Employee - Lot Associate
    Current Employee - Lot Associate

I have been working at The Home Depot

Pros

Great culture, friendly attitudes among employees, positive atmosphere, a lot of potential for learning and growth.

Cons

Low pay, hours are not as flexible as they should be, low hours especially in the winter months. Very physically demanding job for such a low rate of pay.

Get to know your employees' strengths and weaknesses and make sure that hard work is rewarded.

Currently working as a full time Home Depot Sales Associate in Garden department.

Current Employee - Home Depot Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Home Depot Sales Associate

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Great Benefits
    - Good Stock, 401K options
    - Great people
    - Company recognition system
    - Plenty of training and upward mobility opportunities
    - Good starting pay rate and annual raises, plus bonus and success sharing opportunities

Cons

- Difficulty working with personal time (Will not let you use at your discretion. Full days off for personal time, but no ability to use personal time to cover times when running late or if you need to come in late.)
    - Recognition can come in spurts, but is not consistent.
    - It is retail, you have to deal with a rotating schedule and it is hard to ever get used to it.

More consistently recognize the hard work of associates with Homer badges.

Solid job, great company, encouraging outlook

Current Employee - Nightshift Freight Associate in Anchorage, AK
    Current Employee - Nightshift Freight Associate in Anchorage, AK

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (less than a year)

Pros

I enjoy my day to day operations but having a flexible schedule that Home Depot works with is great.

Cons

I haven't noticed any cons at Home Depot, if anything, lengthy initial computer training

it would be interesting to gain knowledge of career opportunities within Home Depot during orientation

I really like it.

Current Employee - Cashier
    Current Employee - Cashier

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great coworkers, flexible hours, decent pay, supporting staff. I'm very happy where I work at. I'm new but they treat me how an employee who has been there for 3+ years.

Cons

It can get a little slow at times so be ready to entertain yourself. You'll want to find customers and talk to them just to keep you busy.

More benefits, maybe a store discount on certain items because we would bring some good business to your business. Just have some guidelines on what we can do.

A long duration.

Current Employee - Receiving in Cupertino, CA
    Current Employee - Receiving in Cupertino, CA

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There is a lot of opportunity for job growth within the company. A lot of store managers and district managers have come up from within the store's lowest levels. There are a lot of corners of the store to learn so you do not have to feel trapped within a specific department. Bi yearly bonuses. The Home Depot is very helpful to parts of the country where disasters are common.

Cons

I feel there is an issue of regard towards the lower associates, from managers to supervisors. There is also a very high turnover of employees, which in turn, is creating very low hiring wages. Store sales and district metrics get in the way of a lot of customers and employees. If you split your bi-yearly bonuses by 6 months, you will see that equates to about 50 cents more an hour for most hourly associates.

I feel higher wages and/or additional raises would assist company moral, especially in market areas where the cost of living is exponentially high.

sales represenativeto assist & help customers

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Mesquite, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Mesquite, TX

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (less than a year)

Pros

i enjoy helping people to complete their projects

Cons

theres alot of product information to remember

maybe a class taught by a superviser to answer questions.

I've worked in a lot of different retail stores and this was by far one of the better ones.

I worked at The Home Depot

Pros

-Above average pay
    -Older/more professional/retired staff
    -Interesting work (learn some practical home improvement tips)

Cons

-High turnover
    -Normal issues with working retail

It's a good fair company to work for they've treatex me fairly

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Santa Maria, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Santa Maria, CA

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (more than a year)

Pros

They have treated me well and very fair since I e been employed with them

Cons

It is hard to become full time because they start you out at part time

I wish that they would give us a fixed schedule so I could be there more for my kids