The Home Depot Reviews

Reset
1.0
The Home Depot President & CEO Craig Menear
Craig Menear

Pros
  • The pay allows part time workers to survive at below poverty levels (in 254 reviews)

• Good benefits (we wil see what the new BCBS plan holds) (in 225 reviews)

Cons
  • days per week - So bad work/life balance (in 170 reviews)

• benifits are minimal for part time employees (in 282 reviews)

1. Great for part time only or if you are in a pinch.

Former Employee - Part Time Cashier in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Part Time Cashier in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The hiring process was really fast and I was in a pinch and needed some income coming in. There seems to be a high turnaround so they are always hiring.

Cons

There mainly part time positions and apparently there is no room for growth unless you dedicate years of your life to a low wage and max of 29 hours a week. I have been asked to do many favors such as come in early or stay late to cover shifts. I have agreed every time but then they cut my hours for the remainder of the week so I do not go over 29 hours. Management wants all these favors but does not give recognition, and the 1 time I was 11 minutes late, I got written up for it. I was unable to get a second job because they do not work with schedules and your schedule is never the same. The wages are incredibly low as well. While it was not the right fit for me, I have met several awesome people who work there and the coworker environment for the most part is awesome. Many of my coworkers are retired and working there and it is the perfect job for them.

Advice to Management

Recognize when your employees are going out of there way to prove there worth and loyalty. If they have never called in and always cover others shifts but do not get rewarded with at least the extra hours that they expected when they covered that shift, theres a good chance you will lose a good employee. Take care of those who take care of you! Managers are not the only employees worthy of full time

Sales Associate

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Changing daily routine. Helping DIY'ers get their job completed. Working with "some" helpful associates

Cons

Management team that has us vs them mentality. Schedules that are to much open and close shifts right in a row. No appreciative management for years of service. The longer your with this company the larger the target is to get you out. I was the 8th highest paid in the store at $18.50 per hour and was told be happy with your raise. Oh yea, the raise was .25 or maybe .30 cents at best case. Company seems shady as the store was always moving hours and people to make us look like we have coverage and in reality we DID NOT! I was never written up yet I was terminated over 1 first time violation. Others get several violations before termination. Only things I can recommend. Work for a different retailer. Very clique company.

Advice to Management

Walk the store and be one of the associates. Come out from behind closed doors. Drop the US vs THEM mentality.

3. Engineering

Former Employee - Engineer in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Atlanta, GA

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

No pros other than just having a place to get paid from...

Cons

This company is pathologically mendacious! Expect back stabbing, lies and throwing under the bus. I think they are similar to other companies that perform stacked performance management, whereas instead of being worried about the product/application that the IT department needs to deliver, people are worried about their standing in the performance stack and whether or not they will be managed out of the company! So they make people afraid and paranoid.

Advice to Management

Grow up and do not be afraid. If you expect politics to replace hard work and dedication, that is fine, but your teams will realize this is the case!

Do not waste your talent here

Current Employee - Specialty Sales Associate in Merrimack, NH
    Current Employee - Specialty Sales Associate in Merrimack, NH

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

They offer insurance, 401K, give bonus' if sales plan is met (paltry unless you are management ) $50-$100 The company has cook outs three times a year, and sometimes a Christmas party in an actual restaurant. (Other times are within the store ) You earn 8 hours of sick time per month (4 if you're part time ) and 1 weeks paid vacation after a year.

Cons

Working here one can't afford the insurance offered (family plan is $320 bi weekly ) on what one is paid . ($11 an hr) Therefore I can't afford the 401k. But the vision ins is excellent. Having been in retail my entire career (always management ) I can honestly say this is the worst experience I've had with inept managers. Zero ability, sink or swim training, irresponsible, and lack of morals best describe our "leadership" here. Scheduling is typical of any retail environment. Open to close availability, every weekend and holiday. If you want a life do not apply here. To have a productive team mentality, there can't be dissention in the ranks. This particular location is rife with mistrust, paranoia, and fear. (All with good reason ) Those of us who arent vested are leaving this sinking ship, and taking our years of knowledge to the competition. So to those applying, keep in mind I am not some disgruntled ex employee. I am a disheartened, orange blooded associate walking away from 7 years to better my life. Seriously consider that before applying.

Advice to Management

Read the cons section. Read it again to listen. Investigate the problems, and take action to correct these issues for those that are vested and can't leave.

6. NEED HELP

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Fayetteville, AR
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Fayetteville, AR

Pros

nice people to work with

Cons

DH do not what they are doijng

Advice to Management

Treat people with the experance beeter

Wouldn't work here again

I worked at The Home Depot part-time

Pros

Pay is okay for part time customize your apron

Cons

Have to keep to yourself to enjoy working there hours sucked... cut back on hours always happened no overtime always understaffed costumers over employees no employee discounts

8. Sales Specialist

Current Employee - Sales Specialist in North Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Specialist in North Chicago, IL

Pros

I thoroughly enjoy working most of my fellow employees as well as serving our customers and always go above and beyond the requirements to achieve customer satisfaction.

Cons

Currently all of The Home Depot stores are scheduling their full time employees on various shifts, including weekends and as of next year, we will be open on Thanksgiving Day! There are NEVER 2 weeks at any given point in time where full timers are on set schedules, and to make matters worse, they schedule us either to open our departments at 6am Mon-Sat and then then next day, we can be scheduled to close our departments from 2pm to 11pm Mon-Sat and on Sunday's, the shifts usually start at 8am or you can be scheduled to close until 10pm, even though the stores close at 8pm! The departments schedules are published anywhere from 2-3weeks in advance, and it's hard to plan your life because of this! Also, if you have any reason to require a specific shift for even 1day each week, for example if you attend church on Sunday mornings and request either NOT to be scheduled to work Sunday's each week, or if you put in a request to work a later shift on Sunday's, like 12:00-9pm, management is NOW telling the full time employees that they can no longer accommodate these types of requests and recommend you consider going part time if you need to go to church!!

Advice to Management

Treat your full time employees with more respect and have a ton more consideration for their requests, their faith, and reasons for requesting certain set schedules! You treat the part timers with SO much more respect and consideration because their requests to work set days with set hours are accommodated without issue! And start treating your LONG term full time employees with more respect and stop making their lives MISERABLE the closer they reach an anniversary of employment, i.e. 5, 10 and even 15-20 year anniversary dates! This clearly tells us that the company doesn't want to keep us around because the wages and the cost of benefits go up, the vacation times increase, etc. And finally, when I left my store on good terms in 2004 because my career employer called me back after laying me off after 9/11/01, I was making almost $16/hr....when I was rehired by the SAME store for the SAME FULL TIME SPECIALIST position a little more than 4 years later, they brought me back at only 9.70/hr and said its only temporary until I relearn the position. Let me just say that I'm still there and am ONLY making $10.50/hr today or just over $21,700/yr! And the biggest slap in my face is that when I looked up the average pay for other ful time specialists at Home Depot IN MY REGION, their average pay is $28,000 - $33,000 to start!!!! I'll stop here because I can go ON about the 'cliques' that kiss managements' butts and if you're not with them, they will make your life at work a living hell!!!! The benefits are great, and that's about it!!!

Not worth the head-ache!

Current Employee - Freight Associate in Niagara Falls, NY
    Current Employee - Freight Associate in Niagara Falls, NY

I have been working at The Home Depot (More than a year)

Pros

Close to home, and meet some interesting people.

Cons

Just about everything that concerns the location I work at is a Con.

Advice to Management

Management wouldn't do anything to change anyway, so I am not going to waist my breath!

Sexual harassment

Current Employee - Merchandising Associate in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Merchandising Associate in Nashville, TN

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Building displays is fun, nice customers

Cons

If you report sexual harassment the supervisors will make your job unbearable

Advice to Management

Stand up for what is right

11. Way Too much politics and favoritism!

Current Employee - Head Cashier in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Head Cashier in Denver, CO

Pros

Low threshold for initial hire

Cons

Way Too much politics and favoritism! The store I was at has a very two faced Store manager. He pretend to be friendly but is a real vindictive person. I know of 3 people (supervisor level) who wanted to transfer to another store closer to where they live and he actively undermined them by telling the other store managers how bad of an employee they were (all untrue!) Then refused 2 of them a transfer! He didn't like them but wouldn't let them transfer, only option was to quit! Another supervisor applied for a job (not with Home depot) and the store manager and front end supervisor found out and changed their schedule so they had to quit. The scheduler is totally incompetent but has been protected by the store manger in spite of all department managers anger and frustration at her screw ups! She constantly changes employee schedules, but doesn't even tell them (Against HD Policy) then the employee gets written up! Politics or something else going on there, she was never qualified for the job, failed at training and defends the store manager regardless of how wrong or duplicitous his behavior even when detrimental to store operations. Constant haranguing of cashiers to "sell" credit cards (daily!) If you don't sell enough credit cards each day, you will be written up and if it continues - loose your schedule and/or job! Only work here if you are desperate or planning on a temporary position. Ever notice they never take down the "Help Wanted" sign? There is a reason for that.

Advice to Management

I have no advice for upper Management, they are in on it too. All they care about is that the store meets sales goals and they don't care how. It's all about money, money, money and keeping costs down. Cheapest company I've ever seen, must be how they rake in billions per year on the backs of near slave labor.

Showing 793 of 8,080 reviews