The Home Depot

4,769 Reviews

The Home Depot Chairman and CEO Frank Blake
Frank Blake
3,004 Ratings

Pros
  • They are one of few companies today that provide part time employees with benefits (in 209 reviews)

• There were some good benefits for part-timers, such as a discount on your cell phone bill (in 190 reviews)

Cons
  • No work/life balance, so be ready to not see your love ones how you might like to (in 135 reviews)

• Now they mostly hire only part time that offers very little in the way of benifits (in 241 reviews)

More Highlights

Good compensation & benefits, lots of people who really want to do what they are trained to do

Former Employee - Salaried Management  in  Lafayette, LA
    Former Employee - Salaried Management in Lafayette, LA

Pros

Salary plus bonuses plus benefits. Big box retail management like any other requires flexibility in schedule.

Cons

Do-nothing managers who hide all day & leave you hanging. Trying to do the right thing plus manage your assigned portion of the business while still having to manage entire operations. Senior management will not recognize performance of salaried team.

Pay attention to the ones who really are pulling the weight of the entire box. Acknowledge their efforts! It's not always about the money!

Best Company to Work for

Current Employee - Cashier  in  East Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Cashier in East Palo Alto, CA

Pros

The management does their best to recognize key employees and offer promotions based on that. Personal growth is more than encouraged. Everyone for the most part is like minded in customer service department, which creates a pleasant environment to work in .

Cons

The only way to really get recognized is by opening up Customer Credit Accounts which is extremely hard to do and creates a sense of desperation and an unhealthy competition between employees, at least in the front end.

Lets Do This!

Pros

Entrepreneurial, tons of opportunity, fast pace work environment, competitive pay, great leadership

Cons

Merchants have too much power, company is very divided across functional work areas

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The Best!

Pros

Feeling like your family atmosphere,growth opportunities,open door policies with upper mgmt.

Cons

The foreign temps. that get hired and leave every year.We need to have associates ready to replace so as not to short staff the store.

Aug 21, 2014Client Partner

Great company to work for.

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Baton Rouge, LA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Baton Rouge, LA

Pros

Home Depot is the leader in retail home improvement, it has good benefits ( after 90 days), very customers service oriented, provides flexible scheduling, good atmosphere among co-workers, upward mobility encouraged and expected.

Cons

If your not a people person you might have a problem working here. This after all is a retail, big box store. The HD business model of fair pricing is achieved by volume sales. Volume sales equals lots of customers. Your involvement all day with customers that have varying degrees of knowledge and expertise can be trying. Sometimes you may be answering technical question from a professional then the next, giving a 'how to' demo to a novice.

Continue keep up the employees moral up with opportunity for advancement and raises.

It is a nice place to work, great environment and people

Former Employee - Supply Chain Coordinator  in  Monterrey, Nuevo León (Mexico)
    Former Employee - Supply Chain Coordinator in Monterrey, Nuevo León (Mexico)

Pros

Good Benefits, opportunities to grow in different areas

Cons

I dont have any complain

Aug 18, 2014Client Partner

Thank you for taking the time to share a review. We are happy to hear you had a positive experience at The Home Depot.

My review

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

A great company with room to grow

Cons

Do not pay employees enough starting out

Aug 18, 2014Client Partner

Thank you for taking the time to share a review. We are happy to hear you are having a positive experience at The Home Depot. We pay competitive rates and strive to create an environment where all ... More

Great experience. Very friendly and fast interview process

Current Employee - Millwork Sales Specialist  in  Fort Wayne, IN
    Current Employee - Millwork Sales Specialist in Fort Wayne, IN

Pros

Good training, friendly and welcoming staff.

Cons

Lots of computer training equals long days and tired eyes.

None.

Aug 18, 2014Client Partner

Thank you for taking the time to share a review. We are happy to hear you are having a positive experience at The Home Depot. Keep up the great work!

Come lose some weight, have some fun, and join us!

Current Employee - Sales Associate - Seasonal Lawn and Garden  in  New Braunfels, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate - Seasonal Lawn and Garden in New Braunfels, TX

Pros

Great store, great managers, great co-workers, and great customers! The job itself is physical (walking, lifting, etc.) and mental (problem solving), so you will never be bored. Training is computer based (so you can learn at your own speed) and on the most part very interesting (there do inject humor here and there to lighten the mood). I would like to stay here until I retire if I could become full-time. Great place to work!

Cons

Home Depot is a large company. There is little local control over the inner workings of each store. Part time employees' hours are cut during slower times. Pay compensation is ok, but it is hard to advance to a better level.

Aug 18, 2014Client Partner

Thank you for your feedback! We are happy to hear you are enjoying your employment with The Home Depot. Keep up the great work!

Sales Associate

Former Employee - Paint Sales Associate  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Paint Sales Associate in Austin, TX

Pros

I loved the willingness to work with my schedule as student in college. Fair amount of hours given, and they gave me a lot of info on my products that I used to be a knowledgable worker. Decent starting pay and ability for small bonuses.

Cons

Just issues that you would find at everywhere. I had issues with my department head being upset that I would help costumers in other departments. Nothing major.

Aug 18, 2014Client Partner

Thank you for your review. Retail associates are the face of The Home Depot for the thousands of customers who walk through the doors each day. As a retail associate you can expect to interact in a ... More

Worked for The Home Depot? Contribute to the Community!