The Home Depot Reviews

5,020 Reviews

The Home Depot Chairman and CEO Frank Blake
Frank Blake
3,138 Ratings

Pros
  • They are one of few companies today that provide part time employees with benefits (in 226 reviews)

• It has a good benefits package with a chance to obtain 7% bonus if you have a good review (in 208 reviews)

Cons
  • No work/life balance, so be ready to not see your love ones how you might like to (in 151 reviews)

• Now they mostly hire only part time that offers very little in the way of benifits (in 263 reviews)

More Highlights

Met good people

Former Employee - Department Supervisor  in  Morrow, GA
    Former Employee - Department Supervisor in Morrow, GA

I worked at The Home Depot full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Ok starter job. If you kiss alot of butt the sky is the limit

Cons

Since there is no real HR your pretty much on your own on certain things. Benefits are horrible. move up easy in the company, but once your up understand that if you are not into butt kissing you wont last long. You can be the most loyal associate but you are still expendable Unless you are at the pro desk or receiving they dont really care much about work life balance.

Take time to mentor associates and help people move up. Treat associates as humans not slaves. Open your mouth and fight for good associates if issues arise.

Satan works for The Home Depot. Work there only to have your soul stolen by wage theft and lies.

Current Employee - Slave
    Current Employee - Slave

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time

Pros

You will learn ethics quickly, because associates are always at fault.

Cons

Nothing like working 28 hours over a 7 day work week. Nothing flexible with work schedules. Wage theft.

Severely Understaffed, Incompetent & Complacent Management, Poor Advancement Opportunities

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Atlanta, GA

I worked at The Home Depot part-time for more than a year

Pros

The company has good benefits for those in management, but not for everyone else. They also offer training on the computer, but you rarely have a chance to do it because the stores are so severely understaffed.

Cons

They use the hell out of you. Once they hire you, they give you a schedule working 5 days a week, 4 hours a day, and no more than 28 hours a week. This is so they can avoid giving you any kind of benefits. You will literally go crazy because of how severely understaffed the stores are. Management does this so they can get a bigger bonus check. The store management are all young, inexperienced, arrogant, complacent, disorganized and incompetent. Bonuses for anybody below management level are a joke. The company pounds into your head how customer service is always the #1 priority, yet they keep all the stores running on a skeleton crew which causes most customers to leave unhappy. My advice is not to just walk away from Home Depot, but RUN.

Keep your departments staffed!!!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Greed

Current Employee - MET Team  in  Carrollton, GA
    Current Employee - MET Team in Carrollton, GA

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time for less than a year

Pros

If you work for Corporate you have better hours.

Cons

Tell you to "bleed orange" all the time, tell you its alright if you have to stay home with a sick kid but when you do it gets held against you, say they want to work with you if you have a family but then act like you don't care about your job and threaten to fire you.

Push out the butt kissers and hire people who don't thrive on DRAMA!!

Employee for over 8 years

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at The Home Depot full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I loved assisting customers and the associations of coworkers.

Cons

The company seems to be trying to rid itself of as many long term and full time employees as possible. Three of us were let go right before success sharing for bogus reasons. It has nothing to do with whether you are an excellent employee because management usually does not pay enough attention to even know who is doing a good job.

If you really want to be the number one retailer be willing to hire and retain people who know the products and how to assist customers. And treat your associates with respect - it is supposed to be one of the values of the company.
    I loved working there in the past but have seen too many management people who do not seem to like working with people. How they got promoted I do not understand. Promotion has more to do with who you know and hang out with than how you work with people and do your job.

Cronyism and butt-kissing rule

Former Employee - Electrical Sales Specialist  in  Brewster, NY
    Former Employee - Electrical Sales Specialist in Brewster, NY

I worked at The Home Depot full-time for more than a year

Pros

None, but if you ever need 'the worst place to work at' experience, get a job here. Better to be a part-timer, then you have control over your schedule.

Cons

having clueless dept. heads and ASMs who were promoted due to their ability to have their lips planted firmly on the store mgrs. rear end. Lazy front end staff who expect sales associates to drop EVERYTHING they are doing to find them a price on an item when they can easily look it up on their cash register. If you are not part of the ruling 'clique', you will go nowhere in your career there. Transfers are rare, especially if your boss is so lazy that you have to do his/her job also. Plenty of 'mission creep', in which your responsibilities increase dramatically, but it does not get reflected in your paycheck. If mgmt. no longer likes you, they will make up lies out of whole cloth to find a reason to get rid of you. way too much favoritism, way too many employees that do the bare minimum just to get by, even more employees that will wander off and leave you as the only one in your dept. I was definitely under paid.

cut bonuses of dept. heads and mgmt. and give a bigger share to sales associates, as they do the majority of the work. Teach mgmt to far less 'delegation' and more actual work . Let employees get the computer training done EARLY instead of pulling an associate off the floor for 1/3 of is/her shift to cram in the studying b4 some deadline is reached. Teach your mgmt. some HUMILITY. I was an electrician while my dept. head was still in High school. This fool was clueless and always dumping his work off on me.

Trampled down

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I loved most of the people that I worked with who were not in management. And the few good people in management were AMAZING! I had several internal interviews, which strengthened my interview scores.

Cons

Impossible to move up. Most of management was terrible. They seemed to promote people who where not doing well at their current jobs in an effort to find a position that "fit them" but those of us who worked our hardest hardly got any recognition. Internal issues led to internal investigation, Awareline, being called, but this was never taken seriously and the person who was reported was constantly being protected by store management. Customers are some of the rudest, more vile people you have ever met. Don't expect management to come and help you if you are being screamed at by a customer or even back you up on anything you say.

How about an overhaul.

not worth working for this company

I have been working at The Home Depot

Pros

they offer benefits and that's about it

Cons

they don't care about your well being only their profits

get a life!

Home Depot,... Not for everyone.

Former Employee - Lumber & Building Materials Associate  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Lumber & Building Materials Associate in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at The Home Depot full-time for more than a year

Pros

Many good people to work with, well stocked for what they wanted to be in the market. Liked the "Company Values"
    Quality that was offered to the public was quite good.

Cons

Many people who were there to do as little as possible, and not help people. Horrible work/life Balance never the same schedule twice. Middle managers and leads were ALWAYS disconnecting the company training.

Very positive place to work

I have been working at The Home Depot

Pros

Management experience is next to none. Positive energy throughout the store.

Cons

Everyone working together as one.

Better screening process of future employees.

Worked for The Home Depot? Contribute to the Community!