The Home Depot

3.4
5,982 Reviews

The Home Depot President & CEO Craig Menear
Craig Menear

Pros
  • They are one of few companies today that provide part time employees with benefits (in 254 reviews)

• It has a good benefits package with a chance to obtain 7% bonus if you have a good review (in 225 reviews)

Cons
  • No work/life balance, so be ready to not see your love ones how you might like to (in 170 reviews)

• Now they mostly hire only part time that offers very little in the way of benifits (in 282 reviews)

More Highlights

Amazing people to work with.

Current Employee - Home Depot Cashier in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Home Depot Cashier in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The people are amazing to work with. I think anyone would enjoy working with them. I'm a people person an its a great company.

Cons

Some of the people were hard to work with. But its a pretty nice place to work, so really its not to bad.

Consider hiring more college student who love to work hard. Now you know how i feel

i am disabled and can work 15 hrs a week and can not lift over 220 poundsi

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in West Claremont, NH
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in West Claremont, NH

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

i have a very friendly attitude and need to keep busy. i know alot of things about wood, faucets and plnting

Cons

the heavy lifting i wish i could lift more, they do not ave many woman drivingforklifts

hire more woman and treat them as equals like the men

Corporate associate at SSC

Former Employee - Corporate Associate in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Corporate Associate in Atlanta, GA

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay. Eligible for outstanding bonuses, especially if you are director or above. Out of country travel on business class.

Cons

Can be long hours.

Great company

Current Employee - Cadhier in Batesville, AR
    Current Employee - Cadhier in Batesville, AR

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Very flexible hours. Supervisors are genuinely nice.

Cons

Almost all positions are part time

Freight is a professional and fun atmosphere.

Current Employee - Freight Team Associate
    Current Employee - Freight Team Associate

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The atmosphere is extremely laid back for our department, and although not everybody is friends, working together professionally doesn’t seem to be a problem. In the one instance I had an issue that required HR or management involvement, it was taken seriously and dealt with immediately. Our department demands constant communication and teamwork, and while it is something that we need to work on, the management and supervisors are always working with us to keep up to date on progress and any issues that come up.
    Safety is a major component to working freight, and it is taken seriously at this store. While I may consider using a ladder to carry a heavier item up to the overhead, there is always someone around offering to help or offering to use the order picker if needed.
    In general, this store carries a fun, friendly, and inviting sense of teamwork, which is a change from when I worked there a few years ago. Management and supervisors are easy to communicate with and accessible anytime, and hard work is noticed and congratulated via Bravos and other congratulatory avenues -- knowing others recognize your effort and professionalism really makes this store quite high in morale compared to other retail companies I’ve worked for.
    The pay increase for Freight’s base pay is a huge positive for me -- finally knowing that the store recognizes the hard work and effort for freight workers really makes working here more satisfying.

Cons

The balance of department hours and cross training was an issue with my previous time here and looks like it may be again. I wish to train in sales departments simply for product knowledge, not to switch departments. Being in the operations department and working 1-2 hours during store hours, it is hard for me to answer customer questions if I am not trained for a department. Generally I can call a department associate, but near the end of business hours there isn't always somebody readily available. I’d enjoy being able to help with more than just directing a customer to another person or to a specific aisle, but it would also be nice to have more sales associates cross trained or on the clock near the end of the night.
    Being part time has the drawback of not always knowing if I will be working 12 or 20 hours a week, and picking up hours in other departments isn’t an option yet as I lack training. Hopefully this will be rectified soon.

The only issue I have currently with the store is the previously mentioned lack of employees during late evening hours (7 p.m. - close) that have the knowledge and are available. Scrambling to find someone to help a customer with specific questions and not always knowing who is on in each department each night can be frustrating to both customers and those who work behind the scenes.

Great place

Current Employee - Lot Attendant in Bainbridge, GA
    Current Employee - Lot Attendant in Bainbridge, GA

I have been working at The Home Depot

Pros

Perfect training, career advancement, 401k. Just an awesome place to work

Cons

This is the best place I've worked. I really have no cons.

Keep it going

Hopefully there will be a change to upper management

I worked at The Home Depot

Pros

I love to be around building and design

Cons

Terrible pay for selling thousands of dollars of merchandise for company, no discounts for employees

know that the only reason you make any money its because you make it on the backs of your employees

Could be better...

Current Employee - Tool Rental Associate in Robinsville, NJ
    Current Employee - Tool Rental Associate in Robinsville, NJ

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The salary isn't bad and the benefits are extremely good for part and full time workers.

Cons

The management is slow on promises switching positions and to full time take more than a year to happen.

Get you house in order to accomplish your goals and stop stalling.

Good Experience for part time work

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at The Home Depot

Pros

Always Busy, Fun Place to Work,

Cons

Very Little Training, Training Videos were Horribly Boring

None

The best company to work for ever.

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier At the Home Depot in Avondale, AZ
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier At the Home Depot in Avondale, AZ

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (less than a year)

Pros

At The Home Depot they award your hard work.

Cons

You start with a part time job.

At the Home Depot, they always encourage you to try harder.