The Home Depot

3.3
5,724 Reviews

The Home Depot President & CEO Craig Menear
Craig Menear

Pros
  • They are one of few companies today that provide part time employees with benefits (in 254 reviews)

• It has a good benefits package with a chance to obtain 7% bonus if you have a good review (in 225 reviews)

Cons
  • No work/life balance, so be ready to not see your love ones how you might like to (in 170 reviews)

• Now they mostly hire only part time that offers very little in the way of benifits (in 282 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company with solid values

Former Employee - Operations Manager
    Former Employee - Operations Manager

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits are great, the core values are something everyone can get behind, strong leadership in the corp office, Executive leadership is very personable, culture of customer service is great and admirable. The pay can be great but if you negotiate. Bonuses can be up to 25% of your salary but even with strong performance it is nearly impossible to max out.

Cons

Message of what is expected gets watered down as it is filtered through the levels of management, expect store walks.....a lot. You are only as good as your worst metric. If you don't speak Spanish, you are not female or have a reason to have accommodations for some ailment, you will always be held to a higher standard. If ou are bubbly, energetic and fake, you will go far whether you are a good leader or not. Its about personality, not results.

It's what you make of it

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Downey, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Downey, CA

I have been working at The Home Depot

Pros

You get great benefits. you end up meetting cool customers you get your regulars and all you want to do is give the best customer service you can it's tons of fun especially for your first job or so

Cons

Most people don't give it their all, some snitches and once i got my phone stolen in the break room and no one cared so it's a lot of pros and cons

Give employees a chance to advance and stop favoring people

Great Company and benefits

I have been working at The Home Depot

Pros

Awesome culture and team members.

Cons

Constant reorganizations in Atlanta office. Leadership changes

great place to work at!

Current Employee - Flooring Specialist in Omak, WA
    Current Employee - Flooring Specialist in Omak, WA

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (more than an year)

Pros

good pay, great people

Cons

work schedule, inconsistent work times and days off

keep helping others improve

One team one effort...or so I thought

Current Employee - Human Resources Services Contact Center Associate in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It is very easy to get promoted...in the store but once you cross over to the corporate world it's more about who you know and whose butt you're willing to kiss to get ahead. It's very hard to leave because Home Depot is definitely like a family...a dysfunctional one but one none the less. I've had the pleasure of working with some really great managers and supervisors who desperately cared about my career and pushed me to branch out from the store to corporate! You make a lot of lifetime friends and industry connections that will last a lifetime. Having Home Depot on your resume is a plus...especially if you work or have worked at the Store Support Center!

Cons

Pay...it could definitely be higher for the work that you do and the benefits are way too expensive for an hourly associate. The Benefits Choice Center is managed by a third party of the level of customer service is total opposite of that provided by Home Depot associates. The left hand does not always know what the right hand is doing and while change is inevitable it happens a little more than desired. There have been several data breaches, one of which involved Citibank our payroll card provider and servicer, which led to the double payment and non-payment of several of our associates. Home Depot does not do enough to protect their associates from fraud and breaches and should seriously consider getting rid of Citibank.

Reconsider our relationships with Citibank, Aetna (Short & Long Term Disability Provider), and Hewitt (Benefits Choice Center). We can do better for our associates in these areas and should consider how their lack of customer service and delayed response time in correcting errors effects the relationships between associates and the Store Support Center. We can learn a lot from the Merchandising Execution Teams matrix and model and should consider adapting some their standards across the board. If we are going to be the #1 customer service retailer in the world we have to be one team with one effort and one overall goal...success!

I liked working there.

Current Employee - Special Services Associate in Springfield, OH
    Current Employee - Special Services Associate in Springfield, OH

I have been working at The Home Depot

Pros

People you work with are always helpful and friendly. If you need help there is always someone there willing to help.

Cons

The hours are all over the place. Can not make long range plans for anything unless you set it up with your supervisors. Store open all holidays but one, Christmas.

Try and be more flexable with the schedules.

Working at the Home Depot

Current Employee - Special Services Associate in Van Nuys, CA
    Current Employee - Special Services Associate in Van Nuys, CA

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I am mostly independent, I choose when to take my own lunches and breaks. Good customer service is rewarded, and promotions come to those that work hard.

Cons

Associates who brown nose are allowed quite a few screw ups which I feel is unfair, getting recognized for hard work is not easy unless you are constantly seeking manager approval. Also Managers don't always back up associates when it comes to dealing with customers. You can spend twenty minutes to a customer that something can not be done because of store policy, but a manager will succumb to a customer's whims within seconds.

Great place to work with awesome benifits and friendly people.

Current Employee - Cashier in Wentzville, MO
    Current Employee - Cashier in Wentzville, MO

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Paid for college and good health care plans

Cons

Long hours and bad scheduling

The Home Depot Response

Jan 23, 2015Client Partner

Thank you for your review. “Taking Care of Our People” is one of our core values. We try our best to accommodate our associates’ needs. Keep up the great work!

Very wonderful

Current Employee - Part Time Cashier in Freeport, NY
    Current Employee - Part Time Cashier in Freeport, NY

I have been working at The Home Depot

Pros

You learn, different, departments an learn how to do things yourself

Cons

Summer time garden area stays busy

None really

Good retail job

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Columbus, GA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Columbus, GA

I worked at The Home Depot

Pros

never boring, good part time benefits, family atmosphere

Cons

lazy co-workers, 20% of associates do 90% of the workload, poor healthcare plans

weed out lazy associates that do not contribute.