The Home Depot

3.2 2,802 reviews

The Home Depot Chairman and CEO Frank Blake

Frank Blake

(2,894 ratings)

Pros
  • They are one of few companies today that provide part time employees with benefits (in 209 reviews)

• There were some good benefits for part-timers, such as a discount on your cell phone bill (in 190 reviews)

Cons
  • No work/life balance, so be ready to not see your love ones how you might like to (in 135 reviews)

• Now they mostly hire only part time that offers very little in the way of benifits (in 241 reviews)

More Highlights
2,802 Employee Reviews

Freight

Freight Team Associate (Former Employee) Halethorpe, MD

ProsFor the most part people are nice.

ConsOccasionally you have those who don't like you and try to get you fired. Pay could be better especially for the hours I was working I was practically full-time. You rarely get credit for your work. It is hard to move up even if you are one of the best/hard working employees.

Comfortable if you are not ambitious, cut-throat if you are.

Hardware Sales Associate (Current Employee)

ProsVery laissez faire attitude. Show up to work, don't slack and you will have a consistent job with $.30 yearly raises.
    Its a job.

ConsFavoritism is prevalent. If you work exceptionally hard or provide splendid customer service, it will likely go unnoticed unless you are real tight with one of the higher ups. May take you a good minute to get in good with someone, just try to avoid being someone who can't get stuff done. Oh and biggest peeve is the whole "you can work full-time, but that doesn't make you eligible for full-time benefits". You could potentially work harder and more hours than someone who is "full-time", but on holidays they will get double the pay that you will.

Advice to Senior ManagementCustomer service would improve if more sales associates were cross trained across different departments.
    Employee retention may improve if part-timers had more opportunities to become full-time, or at least a health care option.

Kitchen and Bath Designer

Kitchen and Bath Designer (Former Employee) Conway, AR

ProsWill work around your schedule and had a family type atmosphere. Everyone helped each other, both employees and the customers. It was a great place to contribute and have a big impact when tornadoes hit, storms hit, or other disasters.

ConsPay was low for having a family but you could survive, especially if you were retired or putting yourself through college.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement has changed since I left but I would say keep the store clean and to plan instead of running around trying to get it up to par when you know someone from corporate was coming.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It is a professional retailer that truly gives you the mindset to think about the overall company

ProsIt is the overall professionalism. From HR to management the oppurntunity to grow and learn about more is paramount and a tool that many use

ConsDealing with customer is the toughest thing to deal with. Basic retail atmosphere

Advice to Senior ManagementBeing more transparent with information

Sales Associate

ProsEveryone working there is very friendly and helpful, easiest part time job you will have. Most days just walking around talking to customers. If you are customer focused you will do well

ConsPay scale and availability of full time work

Advice to Senior Managementneed a regular schedule

Great people and management.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat benes. Made good friends. Collegial environment. Great leadership in District and our store.

ConsIncentive program for store associate to appropriately qualify customers for specialty products, installations and services.

Advice to Senior ManagementBig focus on leads & measures but need to spend a little to make a lot and hire associates that can relate well with customers to be able to garner L&Ms as well as incentivizing them appropriately.

Tiring, stressful, most of the time not worth the pay.

Department Supervisor (Current Employee)

ProsWork with good people, trying to make a living. The values are trying to be represented still, so you see the company doing some nice things here and there for it's associates.

ConsMgmt can really brow-beat you to death. If you are the right race and sex, you can go far. If not, you'll work your tail off for $0.25 raises each year, and a CHANCE at a success sharing bonus twice a year. Basically though, out of the 8 values that HD is supposed to hold dear, the only one that matters anymore is SHAREHOLDER VALUE ($$).

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote the BEST one for the job, and not the one that makes your DIVERSITY metrics.

Department Head

Sales Associate - Flooring and Walls (Current Employee) Charleston, WV

ProsThis is a great Work/Life Balance Company with many great benefits offered.

ConsManagement can be a little difficult to manage at times

Retail job so can difficult job...

ProsMany co workers are nice, helpful persons

ConsMost of the time, You are just a number, the store manager and yhe HR person are keys people in each store so you eed to have a good relationship with them...

Lack of quality leadership

User Experience Architect (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsGreat salary and benefits. Opportunity to experience corporate BS first hand. Made me a stronger person.

ConsThe leadership took really talented people and squashed all the creativity and spirit out of them by micromanaging and lack of empowerment. They treated people as interchangeable productivity resources rather than individuals. It made for mediocre project outcomes and low morale.

Advice to Senior ManagementLeadership training and team building experiences. Understand and leverage individual talent.

Worked for The Home Depot? Contribute to the Community!