The Home Depot Reviews

5,255 Reviews

The Home Depot Chairman and CEO Frank Blake
Frank Blake
3,265 Ratings

Pros
  • They are one of few companies today that provide part time employees with benefits (in 243 reviews)

• It has a good benefits package with a chance to obtain 7% bonus if you have a good review (in 219 reviews)

Cons
  • No work/life balance, so be ready to not see your love ones how you might like to (in 162 reviews)

• Now they mostly hire only part time that offers very little in the way of benifits (in 278 reviews)

More Highlights

It's been great working at Home Depot!

Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Jose, CA

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Management actually cares about you. They are extremely flexible with your schedules (obviously, you have to tell HR 3 weeks in advance). Most employees are friendly and respect each other. Work hard and there's a big chance for career growth with them--if that's what you want to do. The pay isn't big at first, but it is decent compared to many other big-box companies. For part-time associates, they even offer tuition reimbursement.

Cons

It's hard sometimes to "please the customer". Believe it or not, Home Depot pushes customer service more than anything else, so sometimes we have to go through great lengths to make sure the customer is happy with the service; this drains your soul sometimes... Also sometimes managers seem to chase associates to "see" if they are doing their job properly--like we are children.

Pair up your new sales associates with knowledgeable associates so they can learn quickly the stuff they will be supposed to know to assist customers better. It is a shame when I see new associates saying "I don't know," and just walking away from the customer.

Home Depot really cares about the people who work for them.

Former Employee - Worker Bee
    Former Employee - Worker Bee

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The opportnities for advncement are there for anyone willing to work and who cares about customers.

Cons

Limited training other than computer based, you are basically thrown into the deep end of the pool with one swimmy on one arm and a brick taped to the other.

Put more emphasis on training, a well trained associate is better equipped to take care of customers, and less apt to cause or suffer an accident.

Enjoyed my job, unfortunate circumstances with my personal state of health caused me to face my final warning; let go

Former Employee - Hardware Sales Associate in Santa Maria, CA
    Former Employee - Hardware Sales Associate in Santa Maria, CA

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The Company handles the work from associates in such a fair and professional manner.

Cons

Not enough associate coverage in every department, and worked part time for too long.

Great.

Former Employee - Cashier
    Former Employee - Cashier

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Everyone was a big family there, very welcoming.

Cons

Hours per week were minimum

Overall not a bad place to get your feet wet and full of potential

Current Employee - Area Supervisor in Findlay, OH
    Current Employee - Area Supervisor in Findlay, OH

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, flexible with vacation time, good leadership staff

Cons

Long hours, pointless meetings, and young to logistics

Be ready to work long hours and pointless meetings

My experience at The Home Depot was both challenging and rewarding.

Former Employee - Merchandising Execution Area Supervisor in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Merchandising Execution Area Supervisor in Houston, TX

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Never a dull moment. The Merchandising Execution Team offers a fast paced work environment that is extremely gratifying. Besides traveling to several stores in your district completing TMO projects, doing occasional and seasonal resets, and assuring bay integrity, you'll leave work with a sense of accomplishment every day. If you're an individual who is committed, engaged and motived, you can advance fairly quickly. I began as an MEA towards the end of Spring Resets. After 10 days my supervisor asked me to captain (lead) Millworks. At three months, I was lead of Building Materials and Millworks. Then at nine months as an MEA I was offered the Merchandising Execution Area Supervisor position for Plumbing, Appliances and Cabinetry. There were seven stores in our district and I loved the challenge.

Cons

There are not any clear downsides to working for this company. Orientation is very thorough and basically outlines The Home Depot's expectations and values. Training is adequate. Classes are required on the computer, but you gain more knowledge on the floor.

I can only speak of the management team in Houston's district 92 in 2010 ( 7 stores ). My advice was for management to improve communication, follow up and follow through, as it was severely lacking. That applies to the MEM, several SMs, ASMs and department heads.

Part-Time Lot Associate

Former Employee - Lot Associate in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Lot Associate in Portland, OR

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good exercise, always something to do, not too much customer interaction, sick time accrual.

Cons

Physically demanding, under-compensated, not much training to do other things, very hard to move up. They do not promote from within quickly, you must stay in your position for six months before you can APPLY for a different position. Then you still have to interview and compete against others. You will see people who have never worked at Home Depot hired for positions above you.

Promote from within, and stop with the minimum time in a position. It doesn't make sense to hire people who don't know the company into positions that current employees want.

It was a fullfilling , fast paced job. Never a dull moment.

I worked at The Home Depot

Pros

Good co workers, never boring,. Rewarded for above and beyond job requirements..decent bosses to work for. Would work there again.

Cons

Some upper clicks....if you dont fit there profile for upper management . The highest you get is department head.. should hire more experienced associates

Dont judge someone by their looks, just promote the best canidate ..

Home Depot the PART TIME giant

Current Employee - Part Time Cashier in Shirley, NY
    Current Employee - Part Time Cashier in Shirley, NY

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flex Schedule with great training, very customer oriented, all employes have profit sharing. Most employees work together as a team.

Cons

PART TIME ONLY!!! They stress how most of the higher ups start as cashiers and you can move up, however, if you don't start as a cashier when you are 18 and move up slowly, you will never get anywhere.

A decent first job

Former Employee - Electrical Sales in Matteson, IL
    Former Employee - Electrical Sales in Matteson, IL

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

They have very flexible hours and you can be trained in various different departments

Cons

Sometimes the hours can be long and the management can be short-sighted when coming up with ideas to better serve the customers

Consult with the workers to help improve work atmosphere