The Home Depot Reviews

Updated March 29, 2015
6199 reviews filtered by

1. Great company to work for although the pay rate is mediocre at best.

Former Employee - Merchandising Execution Associate in East Patchogue, NY
    Former Employee - Merchandising Execution Associate in East Patchogue, NY

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Company Cares for employee needs and tends to be on the side of employees as long as they are correct.
    Has a strong core value and tries to live up to it.
    Managers not only listen but act to help needs of employees

Cons

Very low wages. Full time pay started at less than 25 thousand a year.
    High intensity work conditions.

Management was fantastic while i worked there.

Cashier

I have been working at The Home Depot

Pros

Pretty easy job but boring unless busy

Cons

Management is terrible. My employees suffer

3. Great company, great flexibility!

Former Employee - Garden Sales Associate in Lansing, MI
    Former Employee - Garden Sales Associate in Lansing, MI

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (less than a year)

Pros

This was a great company. It was extremely flexible with me being a college student, and was open to working around my schedule (even when it was not the most convenient for them), there is a lot of room to make more hours and the pay is great as well compared to other hardware/floral stores.

Cons

It can be a very demanding job, at times you will have customers who are unhappy with a product, but most if not all customers are usually very understanding. Additionally, depending on what department you work in, you can definitely get very tired throughout the day (especially in the summer for gardening).

The management was pretty great, I don't really have any additional advice. They were great with scheduling for the most part, however they could do better in terms of scheduling late days before early days, for example five p.m. to ten p.m. on Thursday and then six a.m. to noon on Friday.

5. Bleed orange for 5 yrs

Former Employee - Department Manager in Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Department Manager in Charleston, SC

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Get to meet many different people and nothing is ever the same when it comes to customers. Always learning to be a great DYIer.

Cons

Schedules are terrible and never the same week to weeks. If you need to have a day off must request off well in advance.

Don't stress the store will be there tomorrow it's not going to burn down over night. Don't get burned out!

Good spirited employees, but not enough pay for required labor.

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Specialty Greeter in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Specialty Greeter in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at The Home Depot

Pros

I'm not sure about all Home Depots, but the one I worked at had a lot of good spirited people there. They made the job more enjoyable.

Cons

You have to work in other departments from time to time and I was even given extra duties (an additional job title) outside of my work description and they do not compensate you for the extra duties they put on you.

Increase the pay rate. For tough physical labor, administrative duties and operation of cutting machines, along with customer service and the occasional help in a different department, the pay rate should be more than $8.25 an hour.

My experience

I have been working at The Home Depot

Pros

work ,schedule people, enviroment ,benefits great

Cons

The pay and bonuses stinks

Take care of your people that want to make Home Depot there careers and are a benefit to the company and your store

8. Great company awesome brand need to work on who they have running their stores.

I have been working at The Home Depot

Pros

Depends on the management team

Cons

if you get the right manager skys the limit

9. Great, pays well, but boring.

Former Employee - Cashier in Bowie, MD
    Former Employee - Cashier in Bowie, MD

I worked at The Home Depot

Pros

Great pay, Nice hours, no uniform, big working space, 1 hour break time.

Cons

Very boring, training takes forever.

Try to make the work environment a little exciting.

Low pay, too few hours, insufficient staffing

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Like my co-workers. Store manager and assistant managers are helpful (when corporate allows them to be).

Cons

The only people making a living wage are salaried managers and associates that have been with the store for 10+ years. Less than $10/hour in my area means no car and no health insurance. Even public transit is a stretch to afford. It doesn't matter if you have a decade of experience in hardware sales or none at all. You start at $9/hour (if you're lucky) and get your 15 penny an hour annual raise.

Many of the full-time associates at my store have second jobs. I don't know how they pull that off when fixed schedules are not possible. "Flexible scheduling" means flexible for the store, not for you. Full-time associates must have 24/7 open availability. Part-time associates do too if they want to get a decent amount of hours, which often they still don't.

This winter we had associates cut down to 4 hours per week. Some weren't scheduled for any hours. Some departments were not staffed for 3 to 6 hours at a time. Customers looking for help in electrical, plumbing etc come into adjacent departments all the time to ask for help, but typically you're alone and already 3 customers deep. I've stopped calling managers to send someone over because there isn't anyone available. Associates at times are covering two or three departments (and their phones) at a time.

The low pay and poor staffing is making for stressed out workers. The prevailing attitude is "they don't pay me enough to care". I try to take pride in my work and do my best for customers, but some days I just don't have it in me anymore. If the company doesn't care about the associates, the associates won't care about the customers.

To corporate: How is HD supposed to be the "#1 Customer Service Retailer in the World" if you don't allow your stores to staff enough people? There are departments where nobody is scheduled from 7-10pm and associates from adjacent departments have to pick up the slack. They often cannot because they've got customers in their own departments to help.

If you paid associates a living wage they'd be happier, more dedicated, and less likely to see a job at The Home Depot as a temporary stay while they look for a better job.

11. Great company to work for. Good training program.

Former Employee - Nightshift Freight Associate in Pearland, TX
    Former Employee - Nightshift Freight Associate in Pearland, TX

I worked at The Home Depot

Pros

Good pay, allow dental and other benefits for part timers.

Cons

Insurance does not get offered to part-time employees, low hours, poor benefits.

The company should really consider offering insurance to all employees, after a certain amount of time spent with the company of course. The day time staff should work harder to remain on the same page with the overnight crew instead of blaming all issues on the freight team.