The Home Depot

4,769 Reviews

The Home Depot Chairman and CEO Frank Blake
Frank Blake
3,004 Ratings

Pros
  • They are one of few companies today that provide part time employees with benefits (in 209 reviews)

• There were some good benefits for part-timers, such as a discount on your cell phone bill (in 190 reviews)

Cons
  • No work/life balance, so be ready to not see your love ones how you might like to (in 135 reviews)

• Now they mostly hire only part time that offers very little in the way of benifits (in 241 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to work.

Pros

They really help employees.

Cons

Hours get changed a lot.

Set solid schedules.

Aug 7, 2014Client Partner

Thank you for your review. Retail associates are the face of The Home Depot for the thousands of customers who walk through the doors each day. As a retail associate you can expect to interact in a ... More

Good Company

Pros

Benefits are great and the stock in going up. The Home Depot really cares about your health and has a lot of programs for fitness.

Cons

Communication is where Home Depot fails in the stores. There is to many people telling you what to do and no communication with the top brass. With that in mind you end up getting to much on your plate.

Aug 7, 2014Client Partner

Thank you for taking the time to share a review. We are happy to hear you are having a positive experience at The Home Depot.

Comfortable if you are not ambitious, cut-throat if you are.

Current Employee - Hardware Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Hardware Sales Associate

Pros

Very laissez faire attitude. Show up to work, don't slack and you will have a consistent job with $.30 yearly raises.
    Its a job.

Cons

Favoritism is prevalent. If you work exceptionally hard or provide splendid customer service, it will likely go unnoticed unless you are real tight with one of the higher ups. May take you a good minute to get in good with someone, just try to avoid being someone who can't get stuff done. Oh and biggest peeve is the whole "you can work full-time, but that doesn't make you eligible for full-time benefits". You could potentially work harder and more hours than someone who is "full-time", but on holidays they will get double the pay that you will.

Customer service would improve if more sales associates were cross trained across different departments.
    Employee retention may improve if part-timers had more opportunities to become full-time, or at least a health care option.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Family-like work enviroment

Former Employee - Cashier  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Cashier in Houston, TX

Pros

Friendly coworkers, Quick training, opportunity for growth, fun,

Cons

It gets a bit tiring since every employee in the building will eventually have to lift anything from small bricks to 40 lb bags of cement.

Listen to employees more, not just management employees but lower level employees. Especially cashiers, since they are the ones who go face to face with customers and know what they complain about.

Jul 28, 2014Client Partner

Thank you for your feedback! We are happy to hear you enjoyed your employment with The Home Depot. We appreciate all of your hard work.

It was very enjoyable and challenging at the same time.

Pros

The people are what makes it a great place to work. The associates as well as the customers. Tons of great training, I am taking away an abundance of skills I learned on the job as well as from my peers and leaders.

Cons

Working for a District Manager that had very little people skills and managed by intimidation. The benefits were also very expensive for a family plan.

Soft skills are just as important in a Leader as hard skills. Understanding people and driving them to do their best and sharing the feeling of reward when accomplishments are made.

Excellent company

Pros

No limit on how far you can go. I wish I had started working here years ago.

Cons

Hard to adjust to the varied hours.

Aug 4, 2014Client Partner

Thank you for your feedback! We are happy to hear you are enjoying your employment with The Home Depot. Keep up the great work!

The experience is very challenging…a lot of diversity of employees about nationality, race, religions,etc competing hard

Current Employee - MET Associate  in  Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - MET Associate in Fairfax, VA

Pros

A lot of training. a lot of work. great benefits

Cons

Supervisors manipulate the reviews to promote or stock down any candidate for the next level…no always fair.

Be honest in your work and be honest by the moment of the review if you disagree with the feedback from your supervisor. Call HR.

Aug 4, 2014Client Partner

Thank you for sharing your review. We understand that our associates are the key to our success. We pay competitive rates and strive to create an environment where all associates feel they are ... More

Home Depot is a good option.

Current Employee - Loss Prevention  in  Rockford, IL
    Current Employee - Loss Prevention in Rockford, IL

Pros

People make the difference, There are great people there. The opportunity for advancement seems possible, but just like anywhere in retail management equals long hours.

Cons

Retail hours are long and not family friendly. Hours are irregular and holidays and weekends are the norm in all retail.

Pressure seldom has positive results.

Aug 4, 2014Client Partner

Flexible scheduling, excellent training, good benefits

Current Employee - Specialty Sales Associate  in  Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Specialty Sales Associate in Nashville, TN

Pros

flexible scheduling--full and part time opportunities.

Cons

the pay is low--even the sharing of success (bonuses based on store performance) is low. While there is room to advance, making it a possible career, there is no clear path to advancement.

If there are key people who have expressed an interest in advancing with the company, please take their desire seriously--plan a path that will achieve their goals hence cementing a good employee.

Great Company

Pros

Personal Growth, company values are great and live orange with in everyday life. Company offers great growth within company. Ones success is based on the individual.

Cons

Long Hours, Promotional offers within company are great associates are always aware of promotions due to companies policies on growth

Jul 31, 2014Client Partner

Thank you for your review. In the same way that The Home Depot’s products help people build homes and projects, the eight core values we uphold help us build a strong business and culture. Our nearly ... More

Worked for The Home Depot? Contribute to the Community!