The Home Depot

The Home Depot Reviews in San Diego, CA

Updated Jul 24, 2014

The Home Depot Chairman and CEO Frank Blake

Frank Blake

Pros
  • They are one of few companies today that provide part time employees with benefits(in 209 reviews)

• There were some good benefits for part-timers, such as a discount on your cell phone bill(in 190 reviews)

Cons
  • No work/life balance, so be ready to not see your love ones how you might like to(in 135 reviews)

• Now they mostly hire only part time that offers very little in the way of benifits(in 241 reviews)

34 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Awesome

Night Ops Asm (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsFair pay ,great benefits , secure

ConsLong hours , not always well planned

Demanding

Sales Associate (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsYou get a lot of hours. Lunch and Breaks are very flexible.

ConsHard work most of the time goes unseen.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood Team.

Jul 28, 2014

Thank you for your feedback! We are happy to hear you enjoyed your employment with The Home Depot. We appreciate all of your hard work.

Too many unqualified chiefs promote concern for the tribe's wellbeing while working you to death

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsI really like working with such a diverse group and feel close to coworkers in the whole store as well as my departments and have a lot of fun helping customers find ways to do projects. There is opportunity to move around and learn more if you want and training is paid.

ConsManagers give conflicting commands, rules are adhered to or ignored with rash consequences out of the blue if you get on someone's bad side. It's a lot like high school. Not such a good thing. They will take take take from you without considering your well being; the hours are brutal in that when you want and need hours you can't get them and when they give them, it's inconvenient like closing and then opening less than 8 hours later! You aren't paid what you're worth.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagers should all preach the same thing and practice it too! Think twice about it next time you reprimand or fire someone without cause or the notice that standard procedures dictate. Corporate would fire most of you without even starting the drama that you like to promote. People that work hard should be treated as valued employees, encouraged and rewarded, not treated like an expendable cog in a machine that can run with or without you.

Jul 21, 2014

Thank you for your hard work and dedication. We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. Although we are unable to comment on your specific experience, we value our associates and ... More
  1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good Job For Students

Cashier (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsEasy job (cashier), friendly co-workers, work around school schedule.

ConsHaving to be at work at 5:30am to open store.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo all locations really have to open at 6;00am?

Mar 19, 2014

Thank you for your review. Retail associates are the face of The Home Depot for the thousands of customers who walk through the doors each day. As a retail associate you can expect to interact in a ... More

Head Cashier Headache

Head Cashier (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsCashier training is very thorough, using self-paced computer simulations.
    Benefits for Part and Full Time Associates. Willing (sort of) to schedule around school hours.
    Head Cashier training is pretty thorough.
    Seniority is not used for promotional opportunities.

ConsAfter training, very much sink or swim environment. Very little room for advancement. Although they do not use seniority to determine eligibility for promotions, promotions almost always go to those in the after-hours drinking buddy clique. HR is clueless regarding gossip, bullying and harassment issues. You must provide a list of available hours and days when you start and except for school hours, which they will grudgingly accommodate for, you are threatened with termination if you ask to change hours of availability. If you are a new hire you will definitely work every holiday; they are open 365. Management, including Front End Manager are hardly ever out on the sales floor. Every building I worked at was extremely under-staffed, and it was not uncommon to have one person working three departments.The contractors who come in first thing in the morning are often extremely rude. Of course that could be because there is only ONE! register open. Self-check is a joke, as there are many, many items which do not scan correctly and must be looked up and scanned at the main terminal.
    Cashiers and Head Cashiers are required to up-sell Extended Warranties and Home Depot credit cards at every sale, with ridiculous quotas to meet. Metrics are used against older Cashiers as a way to get them out before retirement age.
    The Corporate culture as far as buildings go is that everyone is out to steal whatever they can, and during secret shops they are very sneaky about hiding merchandise in order to "test" the Cashier. Another way to get people who are not as popular with the clique out, especially if they are due for a raise.
    Pay is low for the industry and turnover is very high. There is a sort of High School mentality throughout the company. Discipline is lax. There is a point system used to determine corrective consultations, but if you play politics and are in with the right people, you will never be questioned about lates, out sicks, etc. Buildings are dirty, loud, and are either very cold or very hot depending on the season. Point of sale system is horribly out of date. Table scanners and wireless scanners break down. frequently and so do check printers. Credit/debit card readers also break down frequently. Morale is very low as we wait for the next, and then the next, and then the next CEO to actually do something to improve working conditions and staffing needs. If I wasn't in school I would definitely be looking for other employment.

Advice to Senior ManagementPull your head out of your freakin' metrics and take a look around. Your company is falling apart from the top on down.
    It's like they say, s**t flows downhill.

Mar 12, 2014

Thank you for your review. In the same way that The Home Depot’s products help people build homes and projects, the eight core values we uphold help us build a strong business and culture. Our nearly ... More

Downward Pressure on Pay

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsIt is better than being unemployed.

ConsLow pay, very little training, and part time status for most. Like most retailers they are not making anyone Full time with full time benefits if they can help it, and they are hiring as few people as possible. The days of hiring and training valued full time professionals are over and will not be back. Looking to the future, Home Depot would like to be an internet marketing company like Amazon. Have customers order online and simply ship it to them, or pre order and pick up the merchandise in the store-- a warehousing operation. The point of view of upper management is that customer service costs money, and they want to get away from it as much as possible, and to that extent store associates are considered liabilities, with their costs to be minimized as much as possible.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt may be that you are correct in your assessment of the future and your direction for the company. It is just a sad thing to see from ground level at the store.

Best place to work

Department Supervisor (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsAbility to move up, tuition reimbursement, training

ConsHours fluctuate often as a manager

Feb 25, 2014

Thank you for sharing your review. Our associates are key to our success. We strive to create an environment where all associates feel they are respected, their contributions are valued and they have ... More

Great place to work,

Loss Prevention Manager (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsFriendly people, very good management, good training program

Consnothing bad to say. It was a good company to work for.

Advice to Senior ManagementStrive to develop and train.

Gone and happy!!!!!!!!!

Sales Associate (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsI was able to see how bad , greedy, incompetent management screwed the customers and employees first hand.

ConsGREEDY COMPANY, GREEDY MANAGEMENT THE LIST IS 2 LONG

Advice to Senior ManagementThey would not listen!!!!!

Feb 12, 2014

Home Depot

Freight Team Associate (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsGreat for college students and high students, opportunities to acquire new knowledge, encourages diversity, great benefits, and great pay for upper management

ConsBad work/life balance, physically demanding for freight team associates, terrible pay for part-timers and supervisory positions, high turnover, most associates have little to no product knowledge. Favoritism among upper management and looked down upon if you have a degree.

Advice to Senior ManagementNew associates should learn product knowledge as a part of their training courses.

Worked for The Home Depot? Contribute to the Community!