The Home Depot Reviews

Craig Menear

1. Lots of work and customers

Former Employee - Hardware Sales Associate in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Hardware Sales Associate in San Jose, CA

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (More than a year)

Pros

It kept you busy

Cons

Very tiresome with overload of works

Advice to Management

They need to communicate with each other better.

Cashier

Former Employee - Cashier in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Cashier in San Jose, CA

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (More than a year)

Pros

There's Thanksgiving and Christmas parties. Dogs are allowed in the store so it's nice to see cute dogs after a 4 or 8 hour shift.

Cons

Unprofessional managers. Lumber, garden and all other departments associates never assist customers when a cashier called through the phone and intercom. You'll be constantly bugged and written up to open credit cards when many customers don't want one. Supervisors are rude and don't seem to understand many customers in self check out want to be left alone and don't need help especially when they say I'm fine to me and them. Surveys are a must and you need a 9 every week or get written up. I found my coworkers to be rude and when ever I'd go to the break room id be harassed by coworkers about my age. My other coworker who was also new quit shortly because s/he didn't feel comfortable for the same reasons. Hard to get promotions according to my friend who worked there for 7 years.

Advice to Management

Try to be professional and train those under you to follow the same example.

3. Lot Associate

Former Employee - Lot Associate in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Lot Associate in San Jose, CA

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A lot of nice, relaxed people work there and everyone is working toward the same goal, to satisfy the needs of every single customer.

Cons

The work wasn't fun. I pushed carts mostly with the occasional moving around of merchandise. The days felt very long.

Advice to Management

The training program can be improved. Instead of a bunch of reading and quizzes on the computer, they should make it more personal, like where new employees shadow more experienced ones until they get adapted and confident in their position.

5. Didn't put customers first.

Current Employee - Kitchen and Bath Sales Associate in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Kitchen and Bath Sales Associate in San Jose, CA

I have been working at The Home Depot

Pros

Very flexible with your hours of you're a part timer, but not so much if you are a full-timer.

Cons

Would have you too much tasking on the job during the busiest time of the day instead of helping customers.

False Promises!

Former Employee - Asset Protection Specialist in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Asset Protection Specialist in San Jose, CA

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They pay well but its at a cost. Unreal expectations.

Cons

False promises of promotion. They recruit you from your current company and offer you more money and tell you that you will have tons of opportunities to advance but it never happens. There was 8 of us who left the same company to go to 4 different Home Depot stores. We were all promised promotion possibilities and none of us were considered for any promotional positions. 7 of us have left Home Depot. 6 of us are back at our previous company. The grass isnt always greener on the other side.

Advice to Management

Learn how to run a business. Stop screwing with peoples lives. People leave their companies that they have been with for many years to join your business. Show some loyalty. Promote within.

Feb 3, 2015Client Partner

Thank you for taking the time to share your review. Did you know we offer a variety of training courses, leadership programs, mentoring programs and promotion opportunities to associates at all ... More

7. Friendly staff. Managers tend to hire people who are compassionate, helpful, people person(s), and laughing having fun

Current Employee - Specialist in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Specialist in San Jose, CA

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great manager, asst managers, and dept. heads

Cons

Can't live on what they pay in SJC. Short staffed causes many injuries

Advice to Management

Try and pay attention to your associates work load. DON'T ask them to do something immediately without first asking if they're helping a customer, barking orders is not mature and makes you look like an ogor.
    AND PLEASE don't suck up right before the EOC and then get pissy after all have put their opinion in. Suck it up like we all have too.

Dec 30, 2014Client Partner

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. We wish you were happier with your current management. Please call 1.866.698.4347 and select the option for the Associate Advice Council Group ... More

8. It's been great working at Home Depot!

Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Jose, CA

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Management actually cares about you. They are extremely flexible with your schedules (obviously, you have to tell HR 3 weeks in advance). Most employees are friendly and respect each other. Work hard and there's a big chance for career growth with them--if that's what you want to do. The pay isn't big at first, but it is decent compared to many other big-box companies. For part-time associates, they even offer tuition reimbursement.

Cons

It's hard sometimes to "please the customer". Believe it or not, Home Depot pushes customer service more than anything else, so sometimes we have to go through great lengths to make sure the customer is happy with the service; this drains your soul sometimes... Also sometimes managers seem to chase associates to "see" if they are doing their job properly--like we are children.

Advice to Management

Pair up your new sales associates with knowledgeable associates so they can learn quickly the stuff they will be supposed to know to assist customers better. It is a shame when I see new associates saying "I don't know," and just walking away from the customer.

9. Ride the WAVE

Current Employee - Operations Manager in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in San Jose, CA

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

If you enjoy interacting with customers and solving problems, this is the place for you. I have always enjoyed leaving customers amazed with the service my team and I have provided them. If you enjoy doing something new and exciting every day this is the place for you.

Cons

The District Leadership Team is a joke. The material experts don't know their subject. When they say ' let me find out ' they never get back to you and when its in email they just don't respond back.. The support isn't there.

Mixed Messages

Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Jose, CA

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Casual working attire.
    -Mostly laid back customers [usually just a bunch of contractors or workers].
    -Success Sharing [yearly bonus check].
    -Opportunities to work in other departments.
    -Kind of decent insurance for part-time employees. Good vision plans at least..
    -One/Two weeks of computer training videos before you start.

Cons

-Seniority gets first pick for time off requests even if they submit it after you.
    -Favoritism plays a huge role in who goes where.
    -Huge pressure to open credit accounts.
    -There's too many mixed messages from management. One day you're told to do something, and a month later a different manager gets upset and has you change things. You might be trained one way, and a new manager gets hired and year old rules are no longer valid.
    -Customers FIRST. Any type of authority you think you might have, while you're following a set of rules you were trained by, mean nothing. If a customer wants something done, you'll get scolded in front of them by management [for following rules], and then said rules are changed.
    -Sexism. After a year here, I've seen one female trained in another area, while almost all the males who were hired at the same time have been trained in other departments.

Advice to Management

-Please stop hiring kids fresh out of school. It's great that you're giving them a chance, but from my experience, the younger they are the less they want to work and the more likely they are to leave after the training finishes. I've had plenty of older people who asked about working here but all I keep seeing are teenagers. Your store is supposed to be about helping customers with projects, please hire people who have obvious background knowledge for the departments they're going to be put in.
    -If you're going to come in for a 'visit' to see how your store is doing, *please* don't give notice before you come. If you want to see how your store is doing, for heavens sake, just come incognito or something so you can see how it's *really* being run. It makes no sense.

Sep 18, 2014Client Partner

Thank you for your hard work and dedication. We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. Although we are unable to comment on your specific experience, we value our associates and ... More

11. good

Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Jose, CA

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

people are nice and helpful and it is a good atmosphere to work in for person looking to move up and build a career over time that one could advance and grow in

Cons

gets really busy at times but that is a good thing to make the day go by quickly. Be nice if they had more training done from within to learn more and advance within the company

Advice to Management

more training from within

Jul 3, 2014Client Partner

Thank you for your review. Retail associates are the face of The Home Depot for the thousands of customers who walk through the doors each day. As a retail associate you can expect to interact in a ... More